Tripadvisor Employee Reviews about "great benefits"

Updated Sep 30, 2020

3.8
Tripadvisor President and CEO Stephen Kaufer
Stephen Kaufer
Pros
  • "Free Lunch, Nice Campus, Good Compensation(in 107 reviews)

• "Great Benefits, Nice working environment(in 72 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Constant Change in upper management(in 26 reviews)

• "During the last large cutting of staff Senior Management said everyone would take a 20% pay cut to help balance the books(in 24 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Sexual Orientation

This rating reflects the overall rating of Tripadvisor and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "great benefits"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0

Great

Sep 30, 2020 - Software Intern in Needham, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great people and great benefits at their beautiful HQ

Cons

No cons I absolutely loved it!

2. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 8 years

Sad State of Affairs at a Once Great Place to Work

Jul 1, 2020 - Sales in Needham, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits, perks, generous severance packages

Cons

I loved working at Tripadvisor until the last 1.5 years. After a major reorg that should have been positive, everything took a turn for the worse. Almost all new hires came from Conde Nast, bringing with them an immediate negative impact on culture. It quickly became an "Us" versus "Them" environment; you were either in the clique or you weren't. Long time talented employees who were successful in their roles were pushed aside or out all together. The company also quietly laid off over 200 people in February due to it's own business mismanagement. Then weeks later COVID-19 hits, another 900 people are let go, and the PR machine was in full effect blaming it on the pandemic alone. It's sad to see what the place has become. The downward spiral appears to continue. I hope they can right the ship for the sake of the employees left behind and for what was once a most beloved brand, but it might be too far gone.

28 people found this review helpful

Tripadvisor Response

Thank you for taking the time to share your viewpoint with us. It certainly was a big year of change for our sales business last year. We deliberately brought in some people from outside the travel industry to introduce new ways of thinking and operating, and to build out a new channel to market. We could have done some things better, as is always the case with big changes, but we have worked hard to address any issues with this change process, and keep building a high performance but supportive culture right across the sales team (and the whole business). And in March we ran focus groups with the teams in our NY office to ask our employees how we are doing after all the changes last year, and their feedback was overwhelmingly positive. We won't stop working to make it better, but we are being told we’re in a good place. And you are right, we did make some structural changes to the business in February 2020 which impacted people and their roles, but we believed it was necessary. We had to make some really tough decisions about how we managed through 2020. Steve still runs this business, and is as dedicated as ever to making this a great place to work, and looking after our employees who are engaged and want to work here. We are listening to our employees still with us, through exit surveys, and social media sites like this. Your comments are disappointing to hear, but we need to learn from everything we can from feedback, positive or constructive. We are confident that we have a CEO who continues to be passionate about this business, and who will lead Tripadvisor through the next 20 years of growth and positive change.

3. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Wonderful Culture, Declining Market Share Causing Business Problems

May 3, 2020 - Technical Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

* The engineering staff is, generally speaking, brilliant * Great benefits (401k match, travel stipend, dental, vision, etc) * Tons of upward mobility * Great work life balance * The people around you are almost universally pleasant and easy to work with

Cons

* The business side of the company seems to be in a constant state of redefining itself. No vision is ever carried out past a year * Process can occasionally slow things down

10 people found this review helpful

Tripadvisor Response

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate that you highlighted our culture and the strength of our people, for it really is our employees that make Tripadvisor a great place to work. However, it is unfortunate that you feel like management communication and alignment on vision are not as clear as they should be. As a company founded on the principle of transparency, we work hard to ensure internal strategies are communicated and the voices of our employees are heard. As our company continues to evolve, we are appreciative of employee comments that highlight our strengths as well as areas we can improve upon. We value our people and their feedback and look to learn and grow from it.

4. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Sad to watch

Jun 1, 2020 - Director, Product Management in Needham, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Depending on which team you are on, the people can be amazing. I have learned so much from some truly great people many who will be life long friends. The company pays well and has great benefits.

Cons

The company has been on a bad trajectory for a while. I don't have much hope that it will pull itself out. Re-orgs seem to be a substitute for an actual company strategy.

17 people found this review helpful

Recruiter

Thank you for you for taking the time to give transparent feedback regarding your time at Tripadvisor. As a company, we believe that we are better together therefore it is great to hear that you recognized the amazing employees we have throughout the organization. We appreciate your constructive comments as well as we are a business who continues to learn and evolve. While our company is in a period of change, our leaders are working together across all areas of the business to create a strategy that considers the needs of the business as well as the needs of our employees.

5. 5.0
      Former Intern, less than 1 year

Nice place if you want to keep your head down

Sep 19, 2020 - Software Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great Benefits, Nice working environment

Cons

Communication issues with employees, pandemic

6. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

It's 2020 And This Feels Like A Sinking Ship

Jan 30, 2020 - Software Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Smart engineers, challenging problems and great benefits.

Cons

Upper management is a disaster and has been for years. The company changes course every six months and every new idea is presented as THE IDEA that will fix everything, though often it's something only a few people at the top think is worth doing and everyone on the ground knows will fail. There are highs and lows but the company has been trending downward the last year or two. It's a shame because at its core TripAdvisor is a really great product and something that users love. Unfortunately the company has spent far more time and money on failed marketing campaigns and redesigns than it has in on improving its infrastructure in a way that actually benefits users.

13 people found this review helpful
    7. 5.0

Great Internship

Apr 6, 2020 - Sales Intern
      Business Outlook

Pros

So many great benefits. They take you out on a lot of events. Free food and cold brew on tap. Internship itself was a great learning experience. My manager was a great mentor to me and gave me a lot of work but not overwhelming. I felt like I could actually add value to the company and provide meaningful work. There was a shuttle to/from Boston and Cambridge so I didn't have to live in Needham.

Cons

Business interns typically don't get full-time return offers.

8. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

The people you work with make the office culture great

Jun 22, 2020 - Sales Support Specialist in Needham, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits, free lunch and the people!

Cons

Career growth is a little limited, it has improved but there are ways to go.

Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are appreciative of comments that highlight our strengths as well as areas we can improve upon.

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great Benefits

Jun 8, 2020 - Senior Photo Editor in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good work life balance. Great Benefits

Cons

few downsides! The CEO is a bet meh.

2 people found this review helpful

Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your feedback. We're happy to hear that you've found our benefits package, as well as our beyond work benefits, to be helpful.

10. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great benefits, lack of strategic direction

Jan 19, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits, free (amazing) lunch, $600 annual fitness reimbursement, $250 travel reimbursement, summer Fridays, week between Christmas and New Years off, smart people and great teams

Cons

Constant change of direction, lots of uncertainty, constant state of re-organization, focus on speed without quality, teams are often resource constrained and must deliver projects quickly with little focus on success measures

3 people found this review helpful

Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for highlighting the strength of our teams. It's our people make that TripAdvisor a great place to work, so it's always great hearing directly from employees about how their colleagues positively impact their experience. As it is with any large organization, change is inevitable. Rather than viewing it as a setback, we're looking forward to embracing the opportunity ahead.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 71 Reviews