Triple Point Technology Reviews | Glassdoor

Triple Point Technology Reviews

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Andrea Pignataro

Pros
  • Everyone works hard to grow the company but work life balance is well respected (in 8 reviews)

• Good pay, good visibility, excellent work env, good domain knowledge (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • hire great programmers and ION/acquisition didn't change anything on this front (in 6 reviews)

• Currently there is so much instability, every month around 10 people are leaving (in 3 reviews)

"A great company once upon a time"

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Westport, CT
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Westport, CT

I have been working at Triple Point Technology full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good Client and Market share
    Good Salary

Cons

Confused Management
    No Product Roadmap
    No sales and marketing initiatiove
    No employee retention policies
    Does not trust subordinates
    Secretive operation with no transperency

Advice to Management

Follow words with action

"Poor management"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Westport, CT
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Westport, CT

I worked at Triple Point Technology part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Job security, industry standard salary

Cons

Incompetent people at management positions

Advice to Management

Get Some

"An Indian/Pune Company with American Top Management that's very Dis-Engaged"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westport, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westport, CT

Pros

Decent above market salary when the company needs you desparately. Senior management does not micro-manage. They basically set an objective and you are free to manage it on your own.

Cons

1. Top management barely communicates with each other. Each run separate objectives and goals that often conflict rather than achieve a common goal. For example, sales versus sevices/delivery versus the technology group. Each have their own conflicting agenda.
    2. Objectives and goals set are often vagued. Downside to this, your bonus could be significantly compromised when KPI's are deliberately wishy washy!! Instances of employee's feeling short changed as they felt they have met 100% of KPI to only be told later they have not used initiative to do more. Thus increment and bonuses are often less than expectation.
    3. Colleagues have commented that the only way to get promotion and salary increment is to tender resignation. Thus, if you have done a good job and the company values your contribution, tendering your resignation is the fastest way to get a promotion and fair increment.
    4. Very American in terms of hiring and firing. Pay top dollar when they need you, make you redundant if they find someone else that can do the job cheaper. No job security. Thus, employee mix are heavily weighted towards low cost India / Indians.
    5. Overall a decent company when they need you but don't count on job security, increment or bonuses. Don't risk leaving your present job to join, unless you have no choice.
    6. Employees that resign and join competitors are made public enemy #1. My advice is nobody resigns if they paid fairly for the hardwork and sacrifices they have made.
    7. Dont count on utilizing your vacation allotment if you are on a project. No compensation will be given.

Advice to Management

Should have better HR policies in place to ensure retention, recognition and reward of good employees. Senior C-Level Management should have weekly meetings on strategy and communicate with staff on a regular basis.

"Great place to settle, not a great place to grow"

Former Employee - Delivery Services Consultant in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Delivery Services Consultant in Houston, TX

Pros

The benefits package is good. Additionally, for DS people, the utilization bonus can be great if you can get it. Management is very understanding of absences (be it for vacation or medical purpose). Triple Point seems to listen to customer's needs for their products. They are also forward thinking in terms of what sorts of functionality to add to the product.

Cons

In my experience, I was shuffled between different projects very quickly. None of the projects had anything in common with any of my years of energy experience and they also did not have anything in common with each other. As a result, I spent the better part of a year in a situation where I felt very inexperienced and out of my element. This could have been alleviated by tying my projects together in some sort of cohesive "career growth" plan so that I could have become an expert in a given area rather than having a tiny amount of experience in multiple areas. Another issue with Triple Point is that the majority of the application development and support is "outsourced" to India. I put that in quotes because technically my colleagues in Pune, India are Triple Point employees. However, in practice it feels very outsourced both to Triple Point's customers and to those inside the company that are trying to get questions answered. Lastly, Triple Point has a pattern of hiring consultants in the US that are originally from India. The consultants are very friendly and knowledgeable but the culture difference makes some people feel like they are a minority.

Advice to Management

Discuss with your employees what kinds of projects they would prefer to work on. Develop a career path for the first 12 months or so that will inspire confidence in the newly-hired employee.

"Support Analyst"

I worked at Triple Point Technology full-time

Pros

Fairly laid back atmosphere, and a nice location in Westport

Cons

No growth, and poor pay. Decision makers were awful communicators & there was a huge disconnect.

Advice to Management

Treat employees better

"An average company"

I have been working at Triple Point Technology full-time

Pros

Decent Products, Good people to work with.

Cons

Lack of communication and as a result low morale.

Advice to Management

Communicate

"TPT once was a great company"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager

I have been working at Triple Point Technology full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Talented and smart co-workers that are eager to help and have a sense of mission.
    Very diversified group spanning many vertical industries from agriculture to energy.
    Technology oriented company that is determined to provide effective solutions.
    A global organization that offers many opportunities for relocation.

Cons

Since ION acquisition company has had a problem retaining people.
    New owners very secretive and not big on keeping staff informed.
    Marketing and sales organization have been effectively dismantled.

Advice to Management

Provide a roadmap of the company's vision to the employees.

"Many truly great people, but almost no managerial competence beyond making sales"

Pros

I have experience at some very well run companies. This is not one of them. There are many people at TPT who are as good as any you will find in the professional world: smart, hard working, professional, and generally fantastic people to work with. And, some of TPT's clients are leading organizations, and if you spend time with those clients then your time will be well spent.

Cons

However, facing off internally hurts due to a lack of management expertise at the middle and senior levels. The company knows sales - and has gained enough new customers to out pace the drop off from those clients who bought the rampant overpromising of sales process and then realized their mistake (as in: promised features and timelines for customizations based only on what sales thinks the most senior client approver will believe, because sales knows once he or she signs the deal, they will be unable to back away. That's pretty much how industrial level software is sold, not just TPT).

There has been no focus on developing management, who have little experience in well run companies. The management is great at mustering resources around a sales call but lousy at actually managing: creating a culture of cooperation and success, enforcing accountability and transparency in decision making, identifying and resolving communication and territorial conflicts, identifying and growing talent. Only recently have more experienced managers started to appear, but that’s only as window-dressing for the sale of TPT to Ion Trading (July 2013).

Being a company still largely run by early joiners - who lack the managerial expertise required to run an established organization - this can be a very painful place to work.

The HR department: staffed and run by unqualified individuals who do not seem to know much about HR - they apparently have connections to the founder. This area is disliked by most people in the company because of HR's attitude: the employees are sources of complaints and problems, rather than being clients. The HR folks do the minimum because they literally don't know any better. Consider the company-wide performance review system: there is none. Consider benefits: changed health care providers every year. Consider raising a problem with them: you will be made to feel like you are the cause of the problem. Consider the exit interview: not a single question about "what can we do better as a company" - just a COBRA letter handed over the desk. And the HR people themselves have only the highest view of their own capabilities.

The client facing services organization: stocked with wonderful, hard working people, but managed by people with little ability to assess skills and performance and no ability to place people in appropriate roles. We all witnessed a parade of inept program managers who were brought into face off with key clients - an ongoing problem. No manager paid for the mistakes, which of course were repeated.

The development department: until recently run by an early joiner whose short term decision making created an organization focused only on the loudest-yelling client, with no support for technical innovation or creating cooperative internal working relationships. The company purchasing TPT considers all of TPT's software to be out of date from a technological perspective. This is not to blame the many excellent, hard working and intelligent engineers who work tirelessly and are the backbone of the company - again, an area that is stocked with talent, but formerly run by a poor manager.

The functional analysis group: stocked with talent, but run by an early joiner who's only management skill is organizing a sales demo. He does not understand how to foster an environment of success, recognize and grow talent, or fight for his team in conflicts with other areas of the organization. He is rarely physically present - he lives 1,000 miles from staff, and only interacts with the same three or four individuals he's always known. He leans on people who know the TPT applications inside and out and not necessarily people who know the business or know what's best for clients or know the best way to mature the product or his organization, because knowing the (insanely arcane feature set of) the application is the one skill he values above all else. This is understandable - given the company's focus on sales. But it is not what is needed.

The successes you do see are down to the many pockets of excellence below the senior management level but they are unfortunately the exception.

So, the bottom line: do I approve of the CEO? If my goal is to take a 10 person software company and grow it into an 800 person sales machine, then yes. But do I want to work for him or recommend his company to my friend? No.

Advice to Management

Get some.

"Getting worse"

Current Employee - Business Analyst
    Current Employee - Business Analyst

I have been working at Triple Point Technology full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Interesting industry and I learnt a lot. Also get to travel.

Cons

We have had a good couple of years, but now our pipeline has dried up and our sales people are leaving in droves. Which is probably why we are for sale so quickly after being bought by PE firm.

Advice to Management

I guess they are cashing out - not sure I have any advice. Don't slam the door on the way out?

"Not a good time to join this company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pune (India)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pune (India)

I worked at Triple Point Technology full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Though there was only one person in HR but very helpful.
    - Travel in an year or two for 2-3 months (u can make quick bucks).
    - No problem in taking leaves at least in my team.
    - Good compensation

Cons

- When I joined here compensation and hikes were really good for not so good work. However the hikes they gave kept my eyes closed and continued working there which resulted into skill loss/diminish.
    - Some senior guys (manager/leads) were really rude and hadn't even worked in any good company before. They ran team/project like road contractors.
    - The only product they have is Commodity XL which had a lot of bugs and people were paid just to keep the product going.
    - The owner didn't invest even a single penny to re-design or revamp product. He was wanted to keep it going and sell at later point of time.
    - Senior people were drawing salary like anything. I knew one such incapable guy making 3-4 times of experience and no skills.
    - Currently there is so much instability, every month around 10 people are leaving. The situation with new owner is - taken into mouth but not able to swallow it.

Advice to Management

Please put your energy in making a better and secure workplace rather than writing fake review on glassdoor.