Tripp Lite Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.0
Glen Haeflinger

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • A relaxed work environment and great employee benefits (in 10 reviews)

• Also lots of fun events like beer Fridays, company sponsored holiday lunches, company picnic with activities, food & awards (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • The 401k match was almost non existent (in 6 reviews)

• if they'll pay it, 401K with no match an animosity among the upper management that divides the company (in 6 reviews)

1. "Working at Tripp Lite"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Tripp Lite (More than 10 years)

Pros

I truly enjoy working at Tripp Lite and for many reasons. There is great leadership that allows for personnel and professional growth. A relaxed work environment and great employee benefits.

Cons

Work stations could use an upgrading.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

"Starts Good Then Goes Downhill"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Tripp Lite full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The holiday and summer parties were fantastic. I enjoyed the people I worked directly with and gained a few life long friends. They do a great job of showing gratitude with bonuses. This is a greater starter company for someone just out of college or transitioning to an office job.

Cons

It has been almost two years since I worked at Tripp Lite and I hate to say it, but I do not regret leaving.

When I first started it was a great job! I was transitioning from working in hospitality to an office job and I was happy to have a 9-5 for the first time in my life.

A few years in is when I took my rose colored glasses off. I started to notice a few issues.

Benefits: While I first thought they were great, I noticed that that were not comparable to other companies of the same size. The 401k match was almost non existent. In fact one of my friends applies and interview and withdrew his application once he saw what the 401K and health benefits were.

Sick Days: They exist (ish). Sick days are at the managers discretion. My manager along with most other managers told you to use a vacation day instead and that sick days were only to be used when you run out of vacation days while you are sick. My manager did not like someone in HR and was convinced HR had it out for her, so we never could use our sick days because my manager didn't want HR to report that we were using them.

Toxic Environment: Management and up are all connected in some way outside of work whether by blood or friendship. This seems cool until you step on the wrong persons toes without knowing and they make sure you regret it for the rest of your time at the company. It is very clique. I left after a really poor experience with my managers boss. Basically, I was forced into a position I never wanted, still excelled and did a great job (yearly reviews to prove it) then was told that I am a disappointment and that I shouldn't have taken the job I was forced because I don't want to go into sales, even though I had always expressed my interest in developing career towards the technical side of business.

Pay: I made a good amount, but I recently found out that one of my friends still working there still makes less than I did despite that he has the same job and has worked there for 7+years.

Inefficient: They are an old company that does things the old way. Lots of circular processes, disorganization. During my time there I witnessed tons of potential sales go down the drain do to missed deadlines, confusion, and even someone being mad at someone else in our department and deciding to not sign off on bids.

Change: They don't like change or the suggestion of change when it comes to processes. During orientation we were told "if you suggest any changes, the owner will hand you a box and tell you to leave". I thought they meant big changes, but during my time there I made a ton of recommendation to my superiors and my hand was slapt every time for trying to make things efficient.

No Growth: I stayed as long as I could before I realized that the company didn't have a lot of places for someone to advance. The only place to go was sales and as always, that was never my goal. Sources to this day confirm that the only place to go is sales.

Accountability: Managers are not held accountable and often people are thrown under the bus.

Overall, it was good while it lasted and I wanted I stayed longer than I should have in hopes it would go back to being a great place to work.

In the end, I moved to a different company where 3 weeks vacation, usable sick days, a great 401k, and awesome health benefits are the standard/competitive to other companies. The company I work for encourages us to look for process improvement, even when it means starting from the ground up.

Advice to Management

If you are saying "we have always done it this way" for any part of the business then you are doing something wrong.

Hold managers accountable, don't work people to the bone, update your compensation and benefits, invest in a better version of Salesforce, encourage change, ask people who do the job what could be done better and implement their suggestions.

Tripp Lite can return to being a great company to work for where people are begging to get a job there, but you have to change.

Your employees are leaving once they figure out that there are better places to work. How do I know, I have had 4 reach out to me this week about getting jobs at my current company.

You can be a far more successful company if you change processes and the issues. You
    can have the latest and greatest products and still fail if your employees are unhappy.

May 22, 2017 – EVP

This is quite a long review and as we find our reviews helpful in improving the Tripp Lite work environment, we are grateful for the effort you have taken here. My first thought is one of surprise... More

"Not Consistent and Old Attitude."

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Tripp Lite full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Depending on your immediate boss, you can have a great time working here and loads of flexibility.

Cons

Very old attitude (Good Ole Boy attitude) with regards to how the company works and lots of "paperwork" instead of putting everything online. Focus from HR is on a summer party and Christmas party and it should be on how people can get their job done and spend more time with their family.

Advice to Management

Get with current times and allow experienced employees to make you money.

Jun 6, 2017 – EVP

Thank you for your feedback. We agree with the burden of lots of paperwork. No one likes it and it can be a real time waster that limits productivity. Over the past year or so we have undertaken... More

"Just not the place for me"

Former Employee - Operations Coordinator in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Operations Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I worked at Tripp Lite full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The wage is livable.
    Everyone was kind, though pretty vanilla. Managers were very reasonable.
    Very considerate work space and nice facilities (art work on the walls, extras like forks and aspirin in the break area, Friday beverages, event tickets)
    Owner is nice enough and is constantly present (despite being well past retirement)
    Company is very stable
    Good gender balance among employees

Cons

Some of the "perks" felt a bit patronizing. I would rather just be paid a better wage.
    Little movement in mid-upper management makes it hard to grow with the company and creates very high turnover in entry positions. I had a very high level of education and willingness to advance that was not recognized; it felt like they didn't expect me to stay.
    I was always bothered by the "Right to work"" flyers posted on the common board. I am a strong union and worker's rights advocate.

Advice to Management

Create more avenues for advancement in wages/responsibility so that employees will stay.

"Hard to find a reason to stay"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Tripp Lite full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A relaxed work environment and good health benefits.

Cons

My experience was most likely unique as I was under the direction of two bosses with very often conflicting direction and simply extremely bad advice from one. I was instructed to do things that other employees have gotten in major trouble for doing, this person has since been promoted as a current 'VP'. Being under the 'guidance' of two bosses who didn't communicate with each other, left a complete misunderstanding on both of their parts as to my true, very large work-load, leaving me pushed and pulled in every direction and at the end of the day, rendering me incapable of pleasing anyone; for a barely livable salary.

That, combined with being surrounded by two extremely zealous feminists who fed each others' insecurities and discriminations against men, based on their fabricated notions of gender inequality in the work-place, created a hostile environment for me to work in on a daily basis. It was a true nightmare and I had no avenue for recourse for either of these two major issues, as due to the egotistical nature & personal relationships between long-tenured managers, going to HR to address any issue was employment-suicide. I did it, and it ended exactly so.

While some may have positive experiences at Tripp Lite, and I'm sure many do, my personal situation was an utter nightmare and I thank God everyday that I'm not there anymore. I have since found a very happy situation, but was left with the fear that every workplace would be as much of a heavily-littered minefield everyday as Tripp Lite. Thank goodness that isn't the case.

Advice to Management

Don't let your departments be run so independently by Managers that they have no accountability and are left with easy scapegoats of their subordinates not doing their jobs. With the current structure, you will never have a stream-lined process that ensures all employees, at all levels are truly accountable for their, and collectively, their departments' performance.

Drop the nepotism and don't let personal relationships between managers dictate their influence over an employee's fate.
    If multiple reviews point out that nepotism is a major issue at the company, then it's obviously an issue and no EVP's justifications will change it.

Pay more.

Apr 6, 2017 – EVP

It is very hard to find the nature of your specific displeasure with your employment at Tripp Lite. In casting such a wide net you dilute what may very well be real issues worth addressing... More

6. "Product mgr"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Tripp Lite full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Real good work environment. Good people and modern progressive work experience.

Cons

Tough business outlook. Growth is tough.

Advice to Management

Keep it up.

7. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Product Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Product Specialist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Tripp Lite full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The work culture at Tripp Lite is casual, but totally about business. Everyone seems to enjoy their departmental responsibilities and excel at them. Tripp Lite offers opportunities to grow within the company in many ways. Another good option is free parking! The Fooda pop-up restaurant options are great, especially for those taking the bus or train to work. I mean, who can turn down free coffee?!

Cons

It doesn't have a true telecommute option, but not many companies do. Some departments may take longer to grow in a position than others. More feedback is needed. Training, mentoring, and leadership can improve to really help its employees to grow within their positions. Compensation may vary from what you may expect from that position versus the market.

Advice to Management

Continue what you are doing to make Tripp Lite what it is today and what you want it to be in the future. Put more emphasis in getting the best from employees, which will increase productivity and success in every way.

8. "Senior Electrical design Engineer"

Former Employee - Senior Electrical Design Engineer in Mundelein, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Electrical Design Engineer in Mundelein, IL

I worked at Tripp Lite (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very good company and very generous

Cons

I do not see any negative

Advice to Management

no comment

"20 year anniversary review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Tripp Lite (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people! Annual company picnic and Holiday party. Profit sharing bonus and year end bonus. Bring your kids to work day, Thanksgiving lunch, Tripp Life internal healthy lifestyle committee that creates events/activities to keep everyone active and healthy. Free shuttle bus from downtown train stations.

Cons

Maximum of three weeks vacation no matter how long you have been at the company with no opportunity to purchase or have an additional week.

Advice to Management

Some managers seem to be more flexible when it comes to schedules and if the company wants to encourage/promote more flexibility it should be stressed company wide and be more consistent.

10. "Life at Tripp Lite"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

Great benefits, and work environment.

Cons

Some management teams create new procedures instead of correct current issues.

Advice to Management

A little more accountability. Sometimes management is slow to fix current problems.