Tropics Software Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

Tropics Software Technologies Reviews

4.6
Mike Mobar

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Fun with lots of opportunities"

Pros

Tropics is a fun and creative environment! Lots of opportunities to own projects and shine without corporate "red tape" frustrations.

Cons

Need a few more policies in place and a bit more training support for new hires, assume these typical issues for any company.

2. "Great Company to Work For"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sarasota, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sarasota, FL

Pros

Great company atmosphere. Lots of helpful, knowledgeable employees.

Cons

Nothing really springs to mind.

"Fun, fast-paced, and dynamic employer"

I have been working at Tropics Software Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Tropics Software is located in bright and sunny, up-and-coming Lakewood Ranch, FL. The company provides excellent benefits for individuals and families including healthcare/dental, plenty of PTO, and 401k matching. The pay is fair and competitive for those who work hard for it, and there is a bonus incentive for those who go above and beyond to help the organization succeed. A flat hierarchy ensures that your thoughts and opinions are heard; management's doors are always open. The environment is exciting, fast-paced, and agile - there is no shortage of work to be done. It is team-oriented in that everyone is willing to pitch in and help outside their normal call of duty. There is excellent opportunity for ambitious individuals to grow both personally and professionally thanks to the mentoring and guidance from senior management. The software product serves the needs of a niche market - the workers' comp insurance industry - and is very exciting to work with because it is constantly changing.

Cons

- No true flextime/flexplace policy, must follow a predetermined/approved schedule
    - Selective in their hiring process (candidates must be well-qualified and a good fit for the organization), so understaffing is a problem
    - Lacks a formalized training program at the moment and thus new hires must be proactive and self-motivated

Advice to Management

- Staffing is key, keep looking for the right individuals to join our team
    - Implement a true flextime/flexplace policy to help facilitate a better work/life balance
    - Define and narrow the scope of job duties to minimize distractions and improve focus

Dec 9, 2015 – Administrative Assistant

Thanks for your review. While Tropics doesn’t currently have a formal flextime policy in place, we enjoy the ability to have on-site collaborative team checkpoints, one on one meetings, and social... More

4. "Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Lakewood Ranch, FL
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Lakewood Ranch, FL

Pros

Best benefits package I have seen in decades. Fun work environment, talented people, sturdy product, and lots of interesting events as well as perks.

Cons

Location is not good for many people

Advice to Management

None, keep up the good work

Dec 9, 2015 – Administrative Assistant

Glad to hear we offer a competitive benefits package! We do have fun and we work hard too. There’s no arguing that we have some top talent on the team! Our location may not work for some, or may be... More

5. "Sarasota's Technology Gem"

Current Employee - Management in Sarasota, FL
    Current Employee - Management in Sarasota, FL

Pros

Tropics Software is a hidden gem in Sarasota offering a professional workforce composed of technologists and insurance experts. The employees are fairly active both physically and in the community, and the company culture supports this (even the CEO rides bikes during lunch with staff!). Opportunity for growth professionally as well as technically is only limited by one's self, and upper management embraces creative thinking to find the ultimate solutions. Tropics pay (salary) is fair -- and at or above the local market typically. The benefits are top-notch and even new hires start with a 17-day paid time off (PTO) package which is pretty generous. The company also provides twice-annual bonus payouts for performance and/or sales growth.

Cons

Tropics Software does not offer a full-time work-from-home option to staff, however they are open to occasional work-from-home (when the position provides such capability)

Advice to Management

Keep up the forward progress and continue to find ways to be innovative -- that makes everything that much more enjoyable.

Dec 9, 2015 – Administrative Assistant

Glad to hear our employees agree we are making forward progress and keeping innovative. We want to stay that way! True, we don’t have a formal flextime policy, but thanks for the kudos that we are... More

6. "If you want a fast-paced environment with room to grow, this is it!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sarasota, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sarasota, FL

Pros

- Strong benefits: Full health coverage; vision and dental plans; plenty of PTO.
    - The people are great; the company tries to hire people that are a good fit for the company/culture and not just skill sets.
    - I have a lot of flexibility in my job. I've been able to work on projects I would have not had the opportunity to be a part of in a large company.
    - People that take pride in their career at Tropics get a lot of respect from all levels of management; their opinions are valued and considered.

Cons

- No charity PTO days offered.
    - Does not have real flex time (i.e. you can choose what time schedule you want to work but you must keep that time schedule; can't flex day-to-day).

Advice to Management

- Promote a better work/life balance. It shouldn't be an act of courage to leave work on-time.
    - Provide stronger mentors. Most of the managers are management only because of tenure; unfortunately those managers do not know how to lead and stump growth of employees that need extra care.

Dec 9, 2015 – Administrative Assistant

We pride ourselves on selecting top talent and providing new opportunities to employees to allow them to explore new projects and focus areas. This is the type of culture we strive to provide for our... More

7. "Fun, Friendly place to work"

I have been working at Tropics Software Technologies full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Friendly and knowledgeable co-workers (many with 10 years or more with the company), great benefits, and bonus plan. Nice building to work in. Management is easy to access and generally receptive to new ideas. Product is best-of-kind software. Lakewood Ranch area is nice, lots of places to eat close by, and a nice kitchen area if you want to make your own food. Occasional picnics and happy hours give everyone a chance to interact in a more social setting. Casual attire (jeans) with the ability to wear shorts on Fridays for a small charitable donation. The pro's greatly outweigh the cons!

Cons

Salaries are a little low, bonus system is not transparent. No real work from home opportunity, generally seem more concerned with you putting in at least8 hours each day than they are how many hours per week you work.

Advice to Management

Give employees the chance/freedom to make mistakes and learn from them, that's how they grow. Micro-managing stifles and frustrates.

Dec 9, 2015 – Administrative Assistant

Great overview of our perks outside of the same-ole pay and benefits that you can get anywhere else. What makes Tropics stand out as an employer of choice, and keeps our current employees like... More

8. "Great apps, and a great place to work."

Current Employee - IOS Developer
    Current Employee - IOS Developer

Pros

Lots of creative freedom and opportunity to express my ideas.

Cons

Not enough salary, so far.

Advice to Management

You rock!

Dec 9, 2015 – Administrative Assistant

Thanks for leaving a review! Thanks for being honest about the opportunity for a salary increase to be in your future. We find ourselves pretty competitive when it comes to total compensation... More