Trov Reviews | Glassdoor

4.9
Scott Walchek

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • It takes a bit of time to overcome the small disadvantages of otherwise awesome working from home situation (in 3 reviews)

• A large number of remote team members means it can be harder to get to know everyone (in 2 reviews)

1. "Best place I've worked. Amazing people, product, and culture."

I have been working at Trov full-time

Pros

The CEO and leadership team have created a culture that blends empowerment, trust, and commitment, all in a casual environment. People are smart, collaborative, and creative. Can't say enough about how rewarding it can be to work at a company like this. They have even managed to make the distributed workforce a positive.

Cons

Distributed workforce makes it a little harder to form relationships but it is not a big problem.

Advice to Management

Keep doing everything you are doing and ensure the culture stays intact as we grow.

Aug 21, 2017 – VP People Operations

Wow, thank you. This is such incredible feedback and I will make sure the leadership team sees it. It can be very challenging to have such a distributed workforce and a lot of effort goes into... More

2. "Strong Culture + Customer Centric + Innovative"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Danville, CA

I have been working at Trov full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A remarkable culture of people from around the world. One of the highlights of my career to work with such wonderful & smart people. Very strong leadership team and thrilled to be making a mark on an industry. It feels historic and meaningful.

Cons

Despite over 50% of the workforce is remote, there is still plenty of face time and a commitment from the leadership to get people together.

Advice to Management

Hoping to maintain the culture while we grow.

Jul 7, 2017 – VP People Operations

Thank you for this review. With such a distributed workforce, it is great to hear that you feel connected. This is something we are constantly thinking about and working to improve, so keep the... More

3. "Happy Engineer"

I have been working at Trov full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- A smart team in every vocation I've dealt with.
    - An open and informative management team.

Cons

If you like being in an office environment or need constant hand-holding to be productive, this is not the place for you.

Advice to Management

Thank you for the frequent communication - please keep it up. Try to keep the culture as the headcount rises.

Jul 12, 2017 – VP People Operations

Glad to hear you are Happy and having a good experience so far. Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We continue to work on communication and culture. Looking forward to having everyone... More

4. "Supportive community of execs and team members"

I have been working at Trov full-time

Pros

The company really values good communication and input across all areas, teams, and positions. There is a collaborative sense of community and mutual respect, and no question or comment or concern is dismissed but is rather addressed and improved on.

Cons

Things can move or change pretty quickly, and some projects or personal tasks may get deprioritized unexpectedly (but there is always then an explanation around why)

Advice to Management

Continue building that top-to-bottom and inter-team communication to ensure everyone is working towards the same goals, and not at cross purposes.

Jul 12, 2017 – VP People Operations

Thank you for posting a review. It's great to read that you are having a good experience so far. We've had lots of growth and communication during this time is very important to us and it sounds... More

5. "Trov is amazing"

I have been working at Trov full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Big ideas, great culture, and lots of challenge. The people are uncommonly warm and caring. I like working with people who are passionate about always improving.

Cons

If you want something easy and predictable, Trov is not for you. There is a lot of growth and change which is challenging and sometimes stressful.

Advice to Management

Fight to keep our culture as we grow.

Jun 16, 2017 – VP People Operations

Congratulations on hitting the 5 Year Mark! And thank you for the valuable feedback. We will continue to fight to keep our culture as we grow. As you know, our culture is not only important to us... More

6. "Quality Company, Quality Code"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

Pros

Until you work for a Joel Test-compliant company, you don't know what you're missing. Trov makes code quality a way of life. Trov doesn't just do unit testing and code review, but also bugs-first development, security and quality audits, design by contract and more.

In case you have any doubts, quality code comes from quality engineers, treated well. Unlimited vacation (and they mean it), truly flexible work time, universal work from home for engineers. Meetings are kept to a minimum (usually no more than standup).

Additionally, if you're looking to apply - phone screening is by the prospective team lead, and code test review is by prospective team members. No clueless interviewer to ask you to read back your resume here.

Cons

Since this field is mandatory: Know that there are no automatic bonuses - your salary is your salary. I haven't been here long enough to know how that's handled in the longer term. Compensation and benefits are still highly competitive though. Also, diversity could be better, but addressing that is an active focus of recruitment efforts.

May 30, 2017 – VP People Operations

This is great feedback and I will make sure Jim (CTO) and Matthew (Engineering, Chief of Staff) read this (if they haven't already). Our Engineering Team continues to grow quickly and this review... More

7. "Best Career Decision"

I have been working at Trov full-time

Pros

- Amazing opportunities for professional growth.
    - Amazing leadership team and very personable, approachable, and humble Executive team. This is the first company where our CEO actually makes an effort to say hello to employees, regardless of title/level, regularly.
    - Management and peers have an excellent cadence for recognition and valuing employees for their contributions. A simple thank you goes a long way!
    - Incredible flexibility to get the job done from the office or remotely.
    - Amazing group of smart, motivated, talented, humble and down to earth employees.
    - Great team dynamics through collaboration and leveraging each other's strengths on various projects.
    - Awesome benefits and perks!

Cons

Nothing comes to mind. Keep up the excellent work, continue hiring humble employees while staying humble, and fully disrupt the insurance world - globally!

Advice to Management

Stay connected with staff - especially remote staff, keep open communication, and continue inspiring us each day.

May 22, 2017 – VP People Operations

With "Humility" as a core Trov Value, I'm happy to hear that you are seeing this acted out. Very encouraging! And thank you for the advice to continue open communication. With the growth we are... More

8. "Still one big fun and hardworking family!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Danville, CA

I have been working at Trov full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing People!!! Company is growing quickly and each person that joins continues to be great to work with. Smart, hardworking, fun. Exciting to see where we will go this year.

Cons

Lots of growth, so some growing pains with that. But management really seems to be working hard to communicate through the growth and keep us all in the loop and on point.

Advice to Management

Communication is always appreciated.

Mar 5, 2017 – VP People Operations

Thank you for sharing. We are always encouraged when we hear that the culture we work so hard to exhibit is truly coming through. We will continue to work at keeping communication a top priority... More

9. "Not Sure"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Trov full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The CEO is a great person and most coworkers are very smart and hardworking. That is probably the best you can get out of Trov at this point.

Cons

Too much politics in setting priorities as a startup.

No employee development vision for staff. The hire-and-fire practice will backfire eventually as good people with good skills can go somewhere else easily.

Its New York office is dysfunctional and operates like a different company. Working from home or unlimited vacation is legendary on paper because of who is in charge there. Don't believe those when they are used as recruiting incentives. Work environment there is the worst I've ever experienced, even with free beverages and snacks.

Benefits are good with the basics covered but not great if you work outside it's headquarters in Danville or have a family to support.

Advice to Management

You should look into the root causes of constant delays in launching new products or features. The Engineering team has to be held accountable from the top down. Administrative functions have room for improvement.

Mar 5, 2017 – VP People Operations

We value our employee's feedback so that we can continue to work to make Trov a great place to work. We also value honesty in our interviewees and employees. Our business is growing rapidly, and... More

10. "Great place to work!"

I have been working at Trov full-time

Pros

- Amazing group of smart, friendly and hardworking people!
    - Great leadership team that provides guidance without dictating.
    - Strong focus on developing a thoughtful, well-designed product.
    - Ability to work remotely.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Dec 5, 2016 – Chief Experience Officer

We're particularly proud of the last two. How might we continue to design a thoughtful & well designed product while maintaining a culture that is inspired and connected to work remotely? Please keep... More