Trov Reviews

Updated Jan 28, 2020

4.7
Trov Founder and CEO Scott Walchek
Scott Walchek
Pros
  • "The company has an interesting culture of remote work (most of the engineering staff is remote)(in 11 reviews)

• "Very strong leadership team and thrilled to be making a mark on an industry(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "Additionally, while remote work provides tons of benefits, it does get quite lonely and isolating sometimes, especially when you live in a rural area(in 5 reviews)

• " career paths need (in 3 reviews)

"Big Team with a Positive attidude"

Current Employee - Devops Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Trov full-time for less than a year

Pros

- People Team helps you with everything and is involved in maintaining company culture - Real Engineering mindset means focusing on solutions/automation as goals - Usage of tools and OS software is encouraged - Company is dedicated to following Agile/Good practice - Work environment is incredibly friendly, everyone has a "How can I help" attitude - Work/Life balance is on point - AWESOME company culture - Employee departure/hiring is handled really well

Cons

- Company structure is complex, most people remote however there are multiple offices across the global, contracting teams from several companies are also spread around the global. - Depending on your background the product may or may not be that interesting. - WFH policy is different per department

Trov2018-09-12

September 12, 2018VP People Operations

Thanks for taking the time to write this review. We always appreciate specific feedback and you've done that here with both your Pros and Cons. It's great to read that the things we say are important to us, an environment where we support one another and a great culture, are happening within the company. We are a distributed workforce, so communication is important. Regarding more efficient meeting planning, I encourage you to reach out to your manager or the People Team to share more detail so we can address your concerns. Thank you again for the great feedback. Glad to have you on the team.

2. "Great place to work"

4.0
    Current Employee - Marketing HTML/Web Developer in Danville, CA

I have been working at Trov full-time for less than a year

Pros

Everyone seems very friendly and the location is really nice. The team is also understanding and flexible when you need to work from home.

Cons

Things can be very hectic and the figuring out who can give you what permissions isn't always easy.

Trov2020-01-28

January 29, 2020VP People Operations

Welcome to the Team! Thank you for the feedback. We're glad you are here and hope that as time goes on things get better and better. Glad you're here!

"Won't last"

2.0

I worked at Trov full-time

Pros

Got rid of a bunch of really negative people over the past few months, including a corrupt COO. The remaining people are mostly very nice and capable. The technology is good. Work from home is a nice perk.

Cons

Poor executive management didn't make tough decisions quickly enough. The business is not getting traction. The stock option grants are very low considering the risk

Trov2019-01-31

"Managing change...growing opportunity"

I have been working at Trov full-time

Pros

Management is doing an admirable job adjusting to the shifting/growing horizons of opportunity. The whole company is shifting toward a more mature footprint servicing not only consumers who use our app. but a ballooning list of global brands who are leveraging what we've built to bring new insurance "experiences" to their customers...under their brands. It's a big shift requiring a lot of patient cooperation. It's exciting. but is also impacting the culture...heavier stress on execution, sustainability, and big customer success.

Cons

The recent massive shifts are creating some instability and uncertainty. While normal for this kind of growth and business shift, it's been at times jarring.

Trov2018-08-04

August 21, 2018VP People Operations

Thank you for your review and sharing all the things you feel the company is doing well as well as your thoughts around "the shifts." We continue to work at improving communication so that we are all on the same page. And leadership remains available for all to reach out to directly to answer any questions that may come up. Trov is a family and cares about it's employees very much. Your advice to management will be shared. Thanks again!

"Late Stage Startup"

I worked at Trov full-time for more than a year

Pros

When I joined the company, Trōv had a strong engineering culture and a dedication to doing the right thing for its products and employees. The development team was entirely remote, split between the US and Canada.

Cons

I think the remote work policy will probably end. I was part of a mass layoff of the remote engineering staff, and it's not clear to me now what the future of the company is.

Trov2018-08-02

August 4, 2018VP People Operations

Thank you for taking the time to comment. We completely agree that successful insurance technology companies must innovate, and we're proud of the numerous technology advances we've made in the industry we serve. We hope to continue to rely on all of our employees, especially our talented team of developers, our leadership, and our partners, to inspire and drive even more innovation.

"Could Use More Diversity"

Current Employee - Network Engineer

I have been working at Trov full-time for less than a year

Pros

Excellent company overall. Input seems to be valued and as a startup it can be fast paced but slow at the same time as certain requirements must be met to move to the next level.

Cons

I'd like to see more diversity. Though I've been here almost since the begin at our meetings I've only seen one person of color or minority and I'm somewhat disappointed, I hope this is just the startup aspect and as we expand there will be greater representation. With my wife being minority I am quite sensitive to environments where the make up appears skewed.

Trov2018-04-06

April 9, 2018VP People Operations

Hi and thank you for sharing your thoughts. I'm not sure exactly how long you've been with Trov, but our diversity has actually increased greatly. In the last two years our company size has about doubled and with that came a large increase in diversity. There is always room to improve this and that is something we are very purposeful about. New efforts have been added to our recruiting process and continuing to add a diverse population to our company is important. As our open headcount is minimal right now, you may not see that change as quickly as you would like, but know that it is something we are purposeful about and again, something that has improved greatly in the last two years. If you have additional thoughts you'd like to share, please feel free to reach out to the People Ops team.

"Dig it"

I have been working at Trov full-time

Pros

Super-sharp, open, honest, transparent high-level leadership, which extends to individual department heads. Communication and feedback are a top priority. Adaptable, driven colleagues. In general, brainy, friendly, focused vibe to the whole company with an admirable emphasis on "work-life" balance.

Cons

Trov's an "insurtech" startup, so the only real "Cons" are inherent in working at a startup - some sense of uncertainty, a lot of testing and adapting and pushing to take it to the next level. But these "Cons" can also be considered part of the appeal and energy of startup work.

Trov2018-03-14

March 14, 2018VP People Operations

Thank you for your review. Happy to hear you "dig it" at Trov. There is definitely a lot of change, especially right now and we continue to work at improving our company-wide communication through all the changes. Keep the feedback coming.

"Best Job I've Ever Had!"

Current Employee - Web Development Engineer

I have been working at Trov full-time for less than a year

Pros

Firstly, I love the work the team and I are doing. The projects and tools we are building seem to truly be adding value to many people's lives and I'm excited to see where we all go in the future. React, Redux and all the other tools we use are cutting-edge. Secondly, I love how much autonomy I and the rest of the team have over our work, and how well written our tickets are. I review people's PRs all the time (even during my first week!), and mine normally get reviewed within a few minutes, hours, or a day at most. Tickets are very specific and well thought out. I like the remote environment because it allows me to focus on my work without having to be distracted or tired out by other things like commuting. That being said, it's also really nice to be able to see people at the gatherings, especially for outgoing extroverts like me, and to be able to go into either the Danville or NYC office whenever I have the chance. Most importantly, I love that the whole company feels like a big family. Everyone is very welcoming and friendly. Even though we have our respective teams, at the gathering I felt like I could sit at any table during meals or join in on any group of people without it being awkward or weird. It's not clique-y at all and that's very comforting to me.

Cons

Although Trov is by far the best job I've ever had, of course there is always room for improvement. Firstly, communication, especially between different engineering teams and from the exec team, needs some work, but this is improving every day as we iron out our new processes. Additionally, while remote work provides tons of benefits, it does get quite lonely and isolating sometimes, especially when you live in a rural area. You don't get nearly as much human interaction with your coworkers, which causes us not to know each other quite as well on a personal level. Nonetheless, Slack, our daily standups, and gatherings certainly help with this. Also, like many companies, diversity and inclusion could use some work. From what I can tell, although I certainly don't have concrete numbers, there are far fewer people from underrepresented groups in tech here than I would like to see. As far as inclusion goes, although most interactions I have here are extremely positive, sometimes microaggressions come up, which I'm sure are unintentional. This happens no more often here than any other space in tech that I've been in, but it would be great if it wouldn't happen at all. It's probably more of a societal issue than a reflection on Trov, but this sort of thing would probably be easily be solved with a basic D&I training for example. That being said, our People team has been very supportive in allowing me to voice my concerns about D&I, which I've never felt comfortable doing before, so I am very thankful for that.

Trov2018-03-14

March 14, 2018VP People Operations

Thank you for this detailed review and for sharing not only the things you appreciate, but the things you'd like to see more of. We are going through a lot of change right now and continuing to improve our communication is a top priority. We are also working to put more in place around D&I. Seeing how our diversity has grown over the last year and a half has been exciting to me and we continue to work to expand that as we hire. More to come soon along these lines. Thank you again for all the feedback.

9. "Leaders listen and embrace change"

5.0

I have been working at Trov full-time for more than a year

Pros

I have been working for Trov for just under 1 year and have seen the tremendous growth that is happening at the company. The leadership team do listen to your concerns regarding the product, customer experience or your general well being too. I have had the pleasure to see this first hand and the changes I have proposed have been assigned to be implemented. I do like that you are setup to be a success and that you can truly take initiative to improve your impact on the company. Scott the CEO is a great leader and more importantly a listener and always has time to talk and get to know the employees at Trov even if they are remote ones. I am fortunate to work out of the Danville office so I see Scott in full motion and it is a pleasure to work for him and Trov.

Cons

Nothing I have seen. As mentioned a con can alway be turned into a positive or a Pro, you just have to work at it and have a voice if you are unhappy with yourself, team or product. Everyone has a voice and no idea is laughed at or disregarded they are all taken seriously.

Trov2018-01-10

January 10, 2018VP People Operations

What a great way to start off the new year. Thank you for this amazing review. It is encouraging to hear that you feel you have a voice and that people listen and respond. And I'm excited to be able to report that this week we sent All-hands (town hall) calendar invites. They will now be happening every six weeks for just the reasons you listed. Keep the feedback coming!

10. "Exciting mission with a great team"

I have been working at Trov full-time

Pros

The company has an interesting culture of remote work (most of the engineering staff is remote). This sometimes makes communication a little tricky but overall I love it. It is the best thing in the world to work from home away from the noisy open concept offices. Typically, the company has retreats twice a year so you get to meet people in person and, due to the wide range of locations, it isn't that uncommon to have at least a few employees within a long drive. So there are opportunities to get to know each other. The compensation and benefits are good. The expectation is to be a professional and, in one trying circumstance, I saw that management could handle a difficult situation well. I feel that I can give my best in this environment.

Cons

Due to the industry, there are some requirements that slow down development. I think this is most easy to observe on the backend and I think this is one of the areas that Trov could improve in. I do see efforts to do so and I think this will continue to improve.

Trov2017-11-21

November 22, 2017VP People Operations

Thank you for the detailed feedback on your current experience at Trov. Keeping people connected in a remote work environment can be challenging. I am glad to hear that you feel there are opportunities to stay connected with your colleagues. I also appreciate your feedback on the slow development process and will make sure the proper people are aware as well. Glad to have you on the Trov Team!

Found 80 reviews