TruckMovers.com Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.8
Tom Duvall

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"A great job if you put forth effort!"

Current Employee - Logistics Coordinator in Independence, MO
    Current Employee - Logistics Coordinator in Independence, MO

I have been working at TruckMovers.com full-time

Pros

An Awesome work environment that is fast paced and personally rewarding.
    State of the art facility with proprietary software.
    You get a laptop to take home for on call.
    Countless training opportunities for entry level positions.
    Competitive pay and insurance benefits.
    Vacation and sick time from day 1.
    Company matching 401k.
    A state of the art weight room and gym with a personal trainer.
    Corporate wellness.
    Great people who I call family to greet me every day.

The list goes on. One thing that should probably be set straight are some issues I have seen with negative reviews. I think it is about time to get a good understanding of what TruckMovers is, and what it really means to me. To boil it down simply, TruckMovers is a 3rd party who moves trucks from A to B. We have contractors who have been working through us for years and we have many that fail to meet the demanding requirements of drive away. Many have said that there are liars and cheaters and for being in dispatch I have yet to say I have lied to someone or cheated someone out of money. For contractors this is essentially their own business and with owning your own business comes the responsibility of money management which many have problems with. The team I am on goes to every measure to ensure that the contractors have sufficient work while keeping the company solvent as well. There is no cheating on our back end as many have stated but more of neglect to manage ones money and time. Drive away is a serious business and it is not for sensitive people.

Working in dispatch is a thrill everyday. You get to know many contractors personally and fine tune what is most successful with them. This is probably my favorite part. Being a good dispatcher means being involved and empathetic to the needs and wants of the contractors, but also staying prudent and not going over a certain amount of money on each run. As with any business there must be profit, but the contractor must make money too. There is harmony on both once you get the flow down.

TruckMovers hired me pretty quickly and I personally feel I was under-qualified for the position. The first week is learn by fire, there is no formal training which is nice so you get to experience all the action from day 1. The day goes by pretty quick because it is a high energy and intense job that requires someone who cares about their productivity, and cares for the growth of the company as well.

The environment is awesome. I have made some great friends there and my management team has been nothing but supportive. Probably out of my whole team I make the most mistakes but my manager works with my strengths and my weaknesses to help out the team. I know others have shared negative experiences but when I wake up in the morning and walk through those doors and into my desk I feel the desire to move some damn trucks and do a good job. For what it is worth, I have had some crappy jobs where management couldn't care less about you, but here you have people who are investing time and money into you so I feel it is worth it to try to pay for my seat otherwise someone better qualified could be sitting there instead.

The pay is good for me as well. If you work Saturdays you get a shift differential and sometimes you get to work the weekend. About once every two weeks I am on call which isn't so bad but it comes with the duties of having a salary job, you are always on the clock.

TruckMovers is valued in the community and the owners invest in their employees. The Christmas party was amazing and I was even given tickets to go to a concert in town I wanted to see. Once you put your foot in the door here there are opportunities for promotions as well. I have seen it with my own eyes. My advice to any newcomer is to be positive and accept the fact that mistakes will be made and this is a high pressure environment. Some thrive on it and some people don't and that is ok. For me, I have found a place where I belong.

Cons

I think one of the things that could improve on is adding incentive, or commission on some truck moves. That may not work with how things are paid out but it would be interesting to see how the data changes when incentive is put into place. They salary does accommodate for this though to which is not a concern on my part.

Advice to Management

Tom Duvall is a respected person in our community. I once did a Craigslist sale when I was on lunch and a guy buying my toolbox said, "I know Tom Duvall, he is a great man." I also walk into restaurants after work and forget I wear my badge and people will talk about TruckMovers or know someone who works there. I take pride knowing all of this and I find it great that the owners invested into the community and have become great ethical businessmen in the area. Keep on being innovative and take hold of that market share and grow this great company bigger and bigger!

2. "Do Not Apply"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I worked at TruckMovers.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent gym and various social outings.

Cons

Management has obvious favorites.
    Profanity/hate speech is rampant.
    Some employees will slack off for hours because they have friends in management.
    Smokers take several extended breaks without question.
    Very high turnover rate.
    Off the clock unpaid work is required.
    Basic bland office with no reason to want to come to work.
    Once growing company has become stagnant.

"Poor Company, Poor Upper Management, Poor HR Department"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Independence, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Independence, MO

I worked at TruckMovers.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-They provide a simple breakfast each morning, cereal, toast with peanut butter and honey, and fruit.
    -On site gym.
    -Relatively cheap healthcare plan.

Cons

-TruckMovers ignores basic employment law. All office employees are classified as exempt, however they are treated as non-exempt. If you have to miss an hour of work, they take away an hour of pay. Exempt employees cannot legally have their pay reduced if they work any part of the day.
    -You are micromanaged. You must clock in and out (again, even though they say you are an exempt employee). Immediate supervisors have no decision making authority.
    -Dental plan price is exorbitant. You pay over $600 in premiums per year for only a $1500 benefit.
    -No opportunity for advancement.

Advice to Management

You need to hire a competent HR professional to revamp your entire organization. One complaint to the labor board could cripple the company. Your HR department is sitting by and allowing you to misclassify your employees and is leaving the company open to huge amounts of risk.

"If you want to loose time that you will never get back, don't even think about it."

Current Employee - TruckMovers Associate in Independence, MO
    Current Employee - TruckMovers Associate in Independence, MO

I have been working at TruckMovers.com full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The company hosted events a couple times a year as a way to give back to the employees. I would say people but all the decent ones have mostly quit, with the exception for a few.

Cons

There is always someone looking over your shoulder. You know that feeling like your being watched.. Well it happens everyday here. You get "in trouble" for pity things. Some can't keep their attitudes to them selfs. No room for advancement. They will lead you on about a very minor transition in departments then go behind your back and give it to someone out side of the company. Standard 2% raise yearly. Seldom incentives Not much to work for. Oh yeah, overtime.. You don't get paid for it.

Advice to Management

My opinion, employees would work a lot hard for gift cards or bonuses than they do for HI fives. Maybe a tier program.

"Horrible"

Former Employee - Logistics Coordinator/Driver Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Logistics Coordinator/Driver Manager in Charlotte, NC

I worked at TruckMovers.com (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the people you get to work with are great.
    Never a dull moment.

Cons

Low Pay
    No room for advancement
    Too many middle management positions and too much micro managing
    Treat drivers horribly
    Lie on a regular basis to employees and drivers
    Some very unprofessional and dishonest employees
    No pay for off clock work which happens regularly
    No recognition or added pay or incentive for doing a good job

Advice to Management

Learn how to treat employees and drivers especially. You can not treat drivers bad and pay little too especially when your whole business depends on them. Pay attention to your employees and hire people who actually have a transportation background.

"Claims"

Former Employee - Claims Specialist in Independence, MO
    Former Employee - Claims Specialist in Independence, MO

I worked at TruckMovers.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It was a steady work environment. I was constantly busy

Cons

the pay was not great. For all the work and hours you put in, you deserve more.

"Great work environment. Pretty laid back as far as what you can do. Can get pretty hectic."

Current Employee - Logistics Coordinator/Driver Manager in Independence, MO
    Current Employee - Logistics Coordinator/Driver Manager in Independence, MO

Pros

Great benefits. Easy to communicate with managers. Good work environment. Plenty of time for breaks.

Cons

Not very much room for advancement. Low pay. Not compensated for off the clock work.

Advice to Management

Less micromanagement from leads.

"Fun Place to Work with Great Employees"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Independence, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Independence, MO

I have been working at TruckMovers.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

TruckMovers.com covers 80% of the health care cost for its employee's medical benefits as well as offering dental, vision, disability, life insurance and Aflac options. They also offer a 401K match of up to 4%, 100% vested from Day 1. Employees will start accruing vacation and personal time starting with their first day of work, amounting to 2 weeks of vacation and 3 sick days a year, increasing with your time of service in the company. Our facility has a full fitness center that employees, spouses and children are allowed to use 7 days a week free of charge. Employees are friendly and the environment is fun and casual.

Cons

Due to the nature of the industry this position can involve some weekends and evening phone calls.

"Great Place to work!"

Former Employee - Logistics Coordinator/Driver Manager in Independence, MO
    Former Employee - Logistics Coordinator/Driver Manager in Independence, MO

I worked at TruckMovers.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very friendly atmosphere. Employers seemed to go out of their way to offer extras like lunches, tickets to royals games, etc.

Cons

The pay was set up where you never knew when you were getting your paycheck. Management seemed to play favorites.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees more. The pay package needs to be increased. If you want to keep quality employees, show them you care by increasing their pay.

"Could be a much better place to work for with some changes..."

Current Employee - Logistics Coordinator/Driver Manager in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Logistics Coordinator/Driver Manager in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at TruckMovers.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Headquarters is newly remodled very nice. Occasionally free lunches, they remember you're birthday and gift you. Company has a great niche in the transportation industry. Very nice gym onsite for employees use and family.

Cons

Was often a negative work environment. Coworkers and teams blame each other first. Lots of yelling and whining, infighting with each other especially between customer service and dispatch. The training is not very good at all. Sometimes drivers are talked down to and taken for granted. There is little to no initiative for dispatchers to get drivers on the road. Making bonuses available for reaching and exceeding goals would help quite a bit.

Advice to Management

Work on fixing the negative environment where many co workers often blame each other first instead of cooperating to make things happen. The environment in dispatch and customer service was nearly toxic at times and there is no reason that it has to be that way. You can work in a busy demanding environment without having to resort to childish behavior as I observed some workers and team leads engaging in more than a few times. Making bonuses available for reaching and exceeding goals would help quite a bit.