True Value Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
True Value CEO John Hartmann
John Hartmann

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work-life balance is phenomenal (in 8 reviews)

• Opportunity to learn a lot of operations of a retail hardware store (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • It's essentially a dead end job with minimal room for advancement (in 5 reviews)

• Not a lot of room for growth unless you are willing to relocate to Chicago to work at headquarters (in 5 reviews)

1. "Fast paced company but very little room to grow career"

Former Employee - Senior Inventory Planner in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Inventory Planner in Chicago, IL

I worked at True Value full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good work life balance and overall fun culture

Cons

Outdated systems and lack of overall leadership

Advice to Management

Implement new systems to help achieve business objectives

"Cannot advance your career here"

I have been working at True Value full-time

Pros

PTO and work/life balance is pretty good

Cons

cannot advance your career here, management plays favorites, below market pay

Advice to Management

Figure out how to keep your talent here! People are leaving this company for a reason

"Helms True Value - Selah, WA 98942"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Selah, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Selah, WA

I worked at True Value full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly co-workers, decent full-time benefits. Rotating weekends for every employee which is nice since most retailers require employees to work most weekends.

Cons

To many managers, disorganized and conflicting direction from leaders. Don't get on the managers bad sides because they will screw you over some how, very vindictive. No advancement, no opportunities to advance in the company.

Advice to Management

Design a better management philosophy, get an employee hand book and follow your own rules that you set forth, don't just enforce them on specific people. Learn to communicate and to be truthful and honest with your employees. Treat others like you would want to be treated.

4. "Lower management needs to improve communication skills."

Former Employee - Order Filler in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Order Filler in Atlanta, GA

I worked at True Value full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The benefits are good here.

Cons

Lower management does not have the proper manager employee communicating skills. I have read on here where they yell at you, and that is very true.

Advice to Management

Learn to appreciate your employees, not stress them out. They play a big role in the operations of the distrubution center. Ask them how are they doing when you approach them, don't talk to them like they are nothing.

5. "a 3 on scale of 10 so far"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at True Value full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

benefits and some and only some of the internal training. a lot of it is so outdated

Cons

pay, lack of change and vision, no real strategy to compete in space with ACE

Advice to Management

wake up and lift the rocks of leaders both new to TV and long term. IT is a mess as is ecom

"this place is just so so"

Current Employee - Inventory Planner in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Inventory Planner in Chicago, IL

I have been working at True Value full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Its an easy low stress job. They have so so benefits. they have so so events

Cons

It is an extremely old outdated company. they are way behind the curve and even further behind competition.

Advice to Management

Advice to CEO. Please learn how to grow and develop a company. All the way down to management.

"Work here if you want to step back in time. Good ole boy network is alive and well here."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at True Value full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There is only one way to go and that is up because they are at the bottom related to culture, racial diversity, associate engagement and values

Cons

The lack of diversity in thought processes and race. The lack of knowledg and best practices from people in Mid and Senior level management. The lack of partnership between the departments. It's Operations way or the highway and no business will prosper without strong leadership and input. It goes back to the old saying "2 heads are better than 1"

Advice to Management

Get into the 21st century. You can do all the tv shows you want but until you shake the trees of your gossiping, non confidentiality having , "Friends" not business relationships that are breed amongst your HR and Operations teams you will never elevate the level of talent needed to run a world class operation. This generation doesn't want to work for an organization that functions like it is still 1980.

8. "My experience of True Value DIstribution Center in Allentown PA in 6 years"

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Allentown, PA
    Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Allentown, PA

I worked at True Value full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent money for unskilled work
    *some* of the supervisors are very nice and help you out a lot.
    Great benefits

Cons

Overtime- and an insane amount of it. Management is too stupid to realize that there is way too much work (generally tuesday and wednesday) so you get slammed with 3-4 hour of mandatory overtime. Yet on Fridays there isn't enough work so everyone can go home anywhere from 1-7 hours early if you sign up for "CC".. Why bother smoothing out the workload to lower OT and have an even amount of work each day? Makes sense right? To capitalize on this, the OT is mandatory and you can't get out of it without a doctors excuse. After 3 missed overtimes you're fired; no exceptions. I needed to drop out of college because they wouldn't give me an exception to make it to school.. Yes I ended up going back and getting my Bachelor's so i could make it out of this hell hole. I talked to HR at the warehouse as well as head of HR at headquarters, and they were anything but helpful. Goes to show how much they "care" about their employees future.

Management- As you can tell from the previous con, management is a bunch of idiots here to put it nicely. They micro-manage everything and make the warehouse associate's lives hell. I got suspended for 3 days an empty box in a bin, because their computer system said i was the last associate to pick from that location. I argued that anyone could have thrown the box there, because it wasn't even a box that belonged in that bin, but they really didn't care. They try to make an example of people. They will write you up for anything and everything possible during their slow seasons.

Extremely fast paced work- This is to be expected in a warehouse, but still i'll consider it a con. They raised the rates every few months, then you still have quality expectations to meet so it's not easy. The place is a revolving door because not everyone can keep up. They'll never admit it, but it's very apparent when they throw slower workers in the more difficult sections to that they can't make the rate and get fired. I saw multiple people get fired that were a few years left before retiring. It's amazing as to how heartless management here is.

Disgusting- Their "Q" section which is filled with bird seed and dog food is more digusting than anything i've ever seen. There are tons of mice which are seen running around all of the time. The section smells terrible and generally they have the brand new hires clean that section on Fridays when the regular work is complete. You will find many live mice stuck to traps; yeah it's real fun.

There are many other cons, but i'm sure you get the point. I'm willing to bet the office life here isn't too bad, but the warehouse in Allentown is not a good work environment by any means. If you can work somewhere else, I suggest to stay away.

Advice to Management

Seek a new career.

9. "stocker"

I have been working at True Value part-time

Pros

Money is great for the job

Cons

I hate management i hate the fact we are on a production that can't be met i hate that they are infested with rats!

10. "Merchandise handler"

Former Employee - Merchandise Handler in Jonesboro, GA
    Former Employee - Merchandise Handler in Jonesboro, GA

I worked at True Value full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Just the co-workers only and that's it

Cons

infested with rats, rat feces and urine, hard work for less pay. There is a incentive pay in place, but it's hard to reach due to the production rate.

Advice to Management

ask every single employee what problem needs to be resolved and take it to heart