Trulia Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Trulia CEO Spencer Rascoff
Spencer Rascoff

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Trulia has great culture and people (in 13 reviews)

• Young and friendly crowd, lots of social events to get to know your coworkers, good people (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • The Denver office is a call center plain and simple (in 10 reviews)

• I agree with the prior review saying upper management seems to be on their own island (in 8 reviews)

"Great people, interesting industry/company. Lots to do, make will make it big one day."

Current Employee - Product Management in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Product Management in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Talented, passionate and committed team, focused on building a big and successful online real estate company. I like pretty much everyone at the company and they are a very talented group, the transparency is really good as we have weekly all company meetings and what's going on and what we should be focused on. Expectations are high and for the most part the work is interesting. The culture is pretty easy going, your typical internet start-up. Generally people are on with the strategy. I think as the economy and real estate Industry recovers this company will be in a very interesting company. Has good backers who seem to have deep pockets and a long term view.

Cons

The company is a little under resourced, they are competing with companies with more than double the staff and doing ok, but people are stretched too thin and senior management can often have unrealistic expectations about deadlines. Pay could be better, but fair.

Advice to Management

Hire more people. Do a little less.
    I think as the economy and real estate Industry recovers this company will be in an interesting place. The management should stay focused on what it does best and keep their heads down and good things will happen. Don't get distracted by the short term and focus on the long term.

2. "Growing and exciting startup"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

-The company is growing rapidly in terms of traffic, visitors, revenue, market share, head count.
    -People are both knowledgeable and friendly, coming from an array of successful startups that are now established
    -Trulia is built on feedback from everyone involved (customers, employees, board of directors, investors, etc)
    -Has a friendly and open environment.
    -Just acquired another company!
    -Innovative and thought leader
    -Industry leader

Cons

Sometime changes move too fast

3. "Great Entry Level Sales Position"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

The spiffs and competition were a real motivator. People here were amazing and alone kept me around for months. The product proved to work.

Cons

The rules, commission structure, and goals constantly changed. One thing one week and the one thing the next. Management was more concerned about new monthly value over the total sales.

Advice to Management

Take more time towards the growth of the sales professionals

4. "Awesome place to work and learn, fast paced."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Awesome work/life balance. They have great perks, benefits, 401K, commuter benefit, dental, vision, etc... Core Senior Management has been in place since inception, but have added some amazing talent (COO, VP of Sales) that have truly accelerated our growth and revenue. They listen to feedback and do their best to change direction or adjust very rapidly. Whole company has clear goals and they really let every employee know what is going on - each week.

HR and internal support teams really care about making you feel wanted and special.They have gone through a lot of growth in their training and hiring process for Inside Sales. The office has changed a lot in the past year. All I can say is that those people getting hired now and in the last 3 months are way better than the ones brought in previously. The compensation plan has been a steady and really fair plan since March of this year.

Cons

There are two divisions. Working in Inside Sales is very different than being an engineer, or mid-upper level management. Finally, the biggest con is that they do not do much for employees who have been here a long time in terms of career development. They rather hire outside talent than groom their own employees - especially on the sales and management side. Engineers are treated really well, so this is a con if you are not an engineer.

Advice to Management

Where is the career advancement and professional growth? You really need to think about grooming the people who have made a difference for years to the bottom line and what you can do for them.

"Employee centric, fun environment, passionate people, successful trajectory."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

The People - Almost all employees are super helpful, collaborative, friendly, and sharp! The passion people share for the company & industry is impressive and I haven't personally experienced this before. The company tends to celebrate everything! (social crowd) which makes for a fun environment.
    The workspace - Great location (near downtown SF), the office itself is open, light, there are kitchens in each area/department (stocked with drinks & snacks), and "the penthouse" (aka, top floor space) is reserved for recreational activities like Ping pong, videogames, happy hours, etc.
    The work - The company is making a big difference, applying cutting edge technologies to make residential real estate search more personalized, fun, simple, and interesting. Trulia's mobile products are impressive, and real estate agents seem to truly benefit from Trulia's ad products (selling well)

Cons

Cultural divides: The speed in which the company has built its Inside Sales teams started to create a seperate culture, one that worked different hours, had a different type of job (sales vs. development), and most people on these teams were pretty new to the company and didn't get entirely acclimated with the dev teams. There is tons of work to be done in this area as this team continues to grow.

Advice to Management

Push the organization to innovate and develop new products. Continue to focus on "people matter" as a core value in terms of providing a work environment that employees love coming to. Make sure the company's focus is in the right areas (what makes Trulia unique).

6. "Trulia Cares"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Denver, CO

Pros

Whether you are a contracted employee or on the payroll, a Newlian or a Trulian, you have a voice and an opportunity to contribute to making this company even better than it already is! The hours, the benefits, and the laid back work atmosphere are all reasons why we enjoy coming back to work day in and day out! No dialers, and no cheesey scripts when selling either!!

Cons

The only somewhat "con" that I can think of is for people who can't handle a start-up enviorment. For those whom can accept change, create the wheel, and go with the flow- this is the place for you to trive!

7. "Super smart group; everyone has a say; not afraid to do right by users."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Trulia full-time

Pros

Transparent and authentic team. Fun + smart at all levels.
    Tons of growth = career opportunity for individuals.
    Everyone works hard and raises the bar.
    Great location in SOMA SF.

Cons

Fast growth = lots of change.
    Inside sales team is moving from a entry level call center to more established sales team. This is a good thing, but it's not comfortable for everyone.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to your people and take feedback seriously.
    Keep the communications open and honest.
    Pay competitively, especially to your seasoned folks.

8. "A great launching pad for recent college grads."

Current Employee - Inside Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Trulia full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Supportive staff and free snacks!

Cons

Not much advancement in the company.

Advice to Management

None really, they're doing a great job with the changes that's going on.

9. "Great enviornment, industry leading company, amazing compensation and benefits"

Current Employee - Inside Sales in Denver, CO

I have been working at Trulia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-You have a voice. I have personally met with almost ever director of the company to give advice on how we can make our product or process better. Then, sometimes within days, I get to see MY ideas incorporated into the business. No where else have I felt so empowered to contribute to the overall business strategy while holding such a frontline position.

-Amazing culture. I love working with such a diverse group of success-crazed sales professionals. The attitude is "I hope you do well but not better than me" : ) I have such a healthy competitive attitude towards my co-workers, and since success begets success, they have made me better. My best friends are from Trulia.

-Commission: Lots of money to be made when you are working for a company with such a strong brand within the industry. Like any job...some will settle for good while other strive for great. The Great Inside Sales reps are making great money.

Cons

You are selling to other sales professionals. Some people with past sales experience even struggle when it comes to selling to real estate agents. Cheesy, car-salesman tactics won't work here.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.

10. "Great Company - Great Opportunity"

Current Employee - Inside Sales in Denver, CO

I have been working at Trulia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome company with a great product offering, a lot of opportunity to make good money. Growing company, promotion opportunities. TONS of potential. On top of all that- Amazing Culture and Atmosphere. Awesome people! High amount of diversity.

Cons

Hard work. Selling to salespeople. Phone work. Entry-Level time to build pipeline. If you are willingly to call and work hard, there are not a lot of drawbacks besides what is listed above.

Advice to Management

Stay true to the awesome culture we have built!