Trumaker Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.9
Mark Lovas

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • There is potential to make a lot of money, but you need to invest a lot of time and have the personality to not take rejection personally (in 3 reviews)

• All you have to do is work every day to get in front of clients, and guys will happily buy these awesome made to measure shirts, suits, and blazers (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • The training is nonexistent there is no one to go to for help and even their senior leadership isn't able to answer questions and talks in circles (in 5 reviews)

• They only give company leads to their favorite sales people and everyone else has to get their own leads which is really hard (in 5 reviews)

"Outfitter"

I have been working at Trumaker full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

With the recent changes in regional management, there is so much more positive energy amongst the teams. Not only that, but we are also providing a better experience for our customers, which makes this role so much more fulfilling. Outfitters always thinking of ways to make this experience better, and our voices are heard no matter our tenur or region.

Cons

This job is not for the faint of heart, and I didn't really understand that going into the Outfitter position. You have to have thick skin, acceptance of peer coaching, resourcefulness, and a positive attitude above all else.

This isn't a 9-5 role. As an Outfitter, the way you build your book of business is by finding those clients yourself, you have to be willing to seek out that interaction even if you've left work for the day.

Advice to Management

Continue to expand out the career advancement opportunities. If an Outfitter can grow, it pushes us to work toward that something bigger!

"Outfitter"

I worked at Trumaker full-time

Pros

Gained experience in sales and customer service

Cons

Trumaker has a lot of kinks to work out in their management as well as their training period. They do not provide their new hires with the accurate amount of training time and hands on experience to be as successful as possible in this position. Resulting in an extremely high turn over in their employees

3. "Outfitter/ sales + stylist"

Former Employee - Outfitter in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Outfitter in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Trumaker part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great team work with my co-workers! The manager and more experienced "Outiftters" will help when you are new to the job.

Cons

Changes in their product line. Last year they increased their prices for "made-to-measure" shirts, blazers and suits. They also added an "off-the-rack" line of shirts and pants. Before I left, the CEO was talking about adding a line of shoes!!

Advice to Management

Way too many products!!

Trumaker Response

Jun 2, 2017 – Talent Acquisition

We appreciate your feedback! We have expanded our product line to include a growing variety of ready-to-wear products, and we are excited to broaden the Trumaker brand. As a lifestyle brand, we want... More

"Styling and sales in one"

I have been working at Trumaker full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I had to write a review of the Outfitter position after getting alerted to several one-star reviews which seem to be stating outright false information.

Overall, I find the job is a challenging and rewarding sales role that allows me to work in fashion instead of another sales industry. The challenge comes from the fact that success is not immediate; for me, I didn't find my footing until months 6-8.

But I wanted to use this space to clearly state the facts of the position (vs. the "alternative facts" I see popping up):

- The role is a sales role. Like a lot of sales roles, you are expected to develop a book of business.

- Compensation *does* include base and commission. The base is included in the form of a sales draw. Commission starts at 15% and scales past 30% of overall sales if you hit a few bonus levels.

- This is not a "pyramid scheme" at all (perhaps the most confusing complaint I see). There is ZERO multi-level compensation. As an Outfitter I work under a Sales Director, and senior Outfitters can mentor newbies for a small bonus to their pay. The company has fewer than 100 stylists and no more than 2 stylists start each month in my office. It's completely the opposite of an MLM sales organization, and I find it disturbing there seems to be someone on Glassdoor repeatedly bringing this up.

- The company helps new stylists get started by reaching out to their initial network. Even for myself, this means reaching out to your own personal network to get your first couple of sales done. The sales process is consultative and I felt zero awkwardness in asking my guy friends if they wanted to get styled and check out Trumaker. I've definitely had to do far more awkward reach outs in other sales roles.

- The complaints I see about "hardcore sales" don't make sense to me. Trumaker's sales program is fairly basic sales 101: they teach you that clienteling often involves multiple touchpoints -- phone calls, emails, maybe a text message. Especially for busy clients this is completely normal to have to try multiple times

Personally, I come from a sales background and I've learned to enjoy the Trumaker role immensely. The most rewarding moments come from helping VIP clients dress more confidently, and I've done everything from small wardrobe upgrades to complete closet cleanouts.

Cons

The company went through a bit of transition in 2016 to a new sales model. It's evident that the transition created a bit of friction in how people have been adapting to the role. This meant that when I first joined, some policies and procedures were still being ironed out. The company also continues to invest in various business development channels. Some of those initiatives can feel a bit "startup-y," which means you have to keep an open mind.

One of the newer policies they've brought out is that all incoming hires receive a pre-existing "black book" of clients -- based on what I've seen, this can be a huge help in generating early wins in sales.

Advice to Management

Don't bring on people who don't want to sell. The winners here are people who enjoy sales, and we all want to be around more professional sellers.

"My Favorite Job"

Current Employee - Outfitter in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Trumaker full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Trumaker gives you the tools and support you need to create your own business, while still having the flexibility you desire. You determine what it is you want to get out of it. 3 years in and I've built a book of 700 loyal customers. Coming from a women's retail background, working in menswear is a breath of fresh air. You are a stylist, a salesperson and a friend. Your customers look to you for advice, and I like to think you are making the world a better looking place one day at a time. The work you put in is the amount of reach outs and connections you make, the fun is had on the appointment. 2 company conferences every year for product launch and time for employees to get to know each other from other cities, plus an incentive trip had once a year for those that earn it. Your co-workers and HQ are there to support you. There aren't many companies you can say that the CEO called just to check in.

Cons

With any start up constant change is expected, whether that be with management, comp or your daily responsibilities. Plan to have all hands on to make a difference. Your business will not run on its own, only hard work will pay off. Self motivation and drive are a must. Sales have their ups and downs.

Advice to Management

Consistency is key. Leading by example will only pay off in the end. Every one's desired level of management is different, always be open to understanding each person individually.

"Exciting and challenging if you like styling and sales"

I have been working at Trumaker full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get to work with successful professional guys and help them save time while making them feel confident about their style. The most rewarding part of my experience is putting a shirt or suit on a guy and watching his eyes light up wearing something that fits him well for the first time.

The company really tries to do their best to help you succeed. Everyone in my training class received a "black book" of at least 100 existing clients about one month in. I called all my clients within a few days and about 15% of them are now some of my top clients.

As someone who has tried other sales roles before this one really allows me to use my creativity on a daily basis.

Cons

This is a sales job so it requires you to clientele and build your book. You have to hustle for the first few months to get into the groove of building your business, so there is a trade-off to work life balance. The company will supply you with a client base to work with, but you still have to get good at delivering great service to ask for referrals. Guys tend to shop seasonally too, so you may get a lot of guys telling you to reach out a few months later!

Advice to Management

Narrow your recruiting focus to find the people who have the skills to succeed here. More product training would be better as the clients sometimes have a million questions.

"Great company & sales position"

I have been working at Trumaker full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyday is different, you can feel the entrepreneurial spirit, you get what you put in. Hard work required, but you reap the rewards when you spend the effort.

Cons

Occasional bugs on website, inventory challenges (some popular styles sell out quickly). Being a startup you can feel like there are different priorities pulling you in different directions.

Advice to Management

The culture will only get better if you challenge your employees to be their best. Do a better job giving us transparency into decision-making so we can plan in advance.

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Outfitter in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Outfitter in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Trumaker full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You will love the people you work with! Flexible and creative sales job with a cool start up. Every day is different and new - very social and relationship based. Lots of growth potential and your voice is heard as we are a start up. Cool to have influence in a company and be able to communicate with anyone at anytime. Potential to make a lot of money if you put in the work!

Cons

If you aren't organized or motivated, this will be a challenge for you - as with most sales jobs.

Advice to Management

Keep going :)

"For the driven and ambitious"

I have been working at Trumaker full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Trumaker is definitely a role that allows the highly-motivated to get themselves into a really good earnings pace within 6 months. Commissions are uncapped and the top sellers at the company all have two things in common: a extremely good work ethic combined with strong time management.

The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting with the clients. Between appointments, I spend my time clienteling to generate more business. Ideal workday consists of 2 to 3 appointments with the rest of the time filled with business generation and servicing existing clients. Of course there are ups and downs so this is just the average to aim for.

My sales are a mix of company-supplied leads as well as my own self-sourced leads. The company has also recently begun a program to provide incoming outfitters with a pool of existing clients that can lead to referral and reorder opportunities, which I think has the potential to really kickstart a newbie's momentum.

I've found that leadership is receptive to feedback and ideas like pop ups and partnerships are highly supported by the sales and marketing staff.

Cons

The company is a startup so you have to be a bit more of a self-starter. After the training sessions, a lot of the learning comes from watching experts at work.

Advice to Management

Give more heads up on key initiatives in the pipeline. Provide more opportunities for learning and skill development.

"Rewarding to style guys and make them confident"

I have been working at Trumaker full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Help guys feel confident in new clothes
    - Startup environment, you can be creative
    - Hands-on role; not a sales job where you sit in front of a computer all day dialing and emailing
    - Company provides qualified appointments to supplement your own business development
    - Professional sales tools provided (CRM, inbox tools, etc.)
    - Guys are solution-seekers - high loyalty if you provide a great experience

Cons

- Startup environment, requires you to be self-starter
    - No three-piece suiting (yet)

Advice to Management

More field training. The job is learned through watching the experts at work. Provide clients with easier ways to reorder online.