Trupanion Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.3
Darryl Rawlings

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Free parking, childcare, the ability to bring your pets to work" (in 14 reviews)

• "Hard work is generally rewarded and opportunities for advancement are abundant, especially with how fast the company is growing" (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "I'm just hoping they (as in, upper management AND middle management) get their stuff together because the employees working under them deserve better" (in 9 reviews)

• "Low pay compared to rest of industry" (in 7 reviews)

1. "BEST COMPANY TO WORK FOR !!!!!"

Current Employee - Customer Care Representative in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Customer Care Representative in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Trupanion full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The best company I have ever worked for

Cons

none really. It is a good a company to work for

Advice to Management

No Answer

"Trupanion"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Seattle, WA

I worked at Trupanion full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Bring your pet to work, onsite events (free food, game night, trivia night, lots of alcohol), no dress code (some wear PJs!), fully paid insurance (as long as you are living by yourself), onsite daycare, 401k (no matching), family enviroment. Some of the best (and worst) managers I've ever had.

Cons

Pet areas not always cleaned, bad dogs get to stay in office because owners are senior level
    Things are constantly breaking around the office (doors, trashcans, elevators)
    Middle and upper management can be incredibly hard to deal with (middle management has VERY little support.)
    Facilities team is not approachable (grumpy rceptionist)
    Senior leadership has non working bros or hard working chicks. no inbetween.
    Always telling Call Center agents to just apply and move to a different department later (meaning its always a revolving door and always hiring and always low on staff)
    Managers are either micromanagers or so hands off that people dont know what to do and get no help when asking
    VERY low pay- its technically legal due to benefits, but unable to pay rent with health insurance. Executives created new bonus system to increase wage but that is taxed at 40% by law so makes us work harder for even less.
    no cost of living raise, meaning we make less every year
    All money goes to policy holders and executives and not to employees
    Always alchohol around the office, at every event- hard to deal with as a recovering alcoholic. even had jello shots once for no reason!
    Never gives reason for firings despite the fact all employees could learn and improve their work if they knew.
    super big focus on culture and behaviour but has executives hover board around and say things just to upset poeple
    Promotes easy transfering to other departments but only true to a certain extent.
    IT is punching bag of company and has little support and constantly has people fired despite needing more people. Created new system to decide on what plans to do and it makes little sense and is decided by popularity contest.

Advice to Management

Your pretending to try but are not really trying to fix problems. bonus' dont fix wage problems. Facebook videos are stupid and a waste of time- go back to town halls, those were much more effective, people dont watch FB lives and you put really important live altering info in those simetimes.

You said you were making all positions bonus structured but I dont see any movement on that.

Company prides itself in transparency but fires people at the drop of the hat with no reason given. Trupanion is not transparent. At. All. Very frustrating when HR send emails saying "sorry for not being transparent, we will try harder" and then next day dos somehting else with no reasoning as to why.

I wasted years of my life here. Everyone always says "The pay is terrible, but I'm here for the culture." Sooner or later that wont be enough to keep everyone, and once that happens your going to regret not taking care of your employees better.

3. "Transparency"

I have been working at Trupanion full-time

Pros

they love to pay claims

Cons

low pay but can bring pet to work

"A wonderful place to work."

Current Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Trupanion full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Open atmosphere. Strong message of be yourself. This is evident in no dress code, people are truly individuals within the walls of Trupanion.
    -Constant change! If you’re adverse to change, this is not the place for you. The company has continued to grow and change since I joined a couple years ago.
    -DOGS! You can’t have a bad day when you are surrounded by dogs.
    -There are constant new opportunities to pursue within the company so there’s no chance to be bored.
    -The compensation plan pays you for how well you do. It’s unique and can sound scary but in two different departments of the low base pay, high bonus - it’s truly proof that your work can “pay off” here.
    -Socially it’s a wonderful group of different people from different backgrounds and there are many fun ways to get to know your coworkers through clubs and events.

Cons

-With the constant change and growing workload, it seems harder to get answers when something needs collaborative finish.
    -The pay arrangement can be scary at first.
    -Coworkers that complain about the stupidest things not realizing how good they have it here. (There are complaints in the stupid box about having to hear people urinate in the bathroom. So facilities management went and bought a white noise machine for the shared restroom. I’m sure that doofus went on to complain about something else.

Advice to Management

Managers/Directors seem to be overwhelmed. Either hire people who understand the role and aren’t overwhelmed or support them and hire more people.

"One of the most backwards companies I've worked for"

I worked at Trupanion full-time

Pros

Dogs and cats in the office and most of the people.

Cons

Where to begin. Pay is terrible, nowhere near market value.
    Most of the people that work here are lifers with no other work experience outside of the company. This makes it extremely difficult to get anything done or present new ideas because the response is always "It won't work" or "That's not how we do things here" Upper level management is a joke. There is no support system and they don't care whether or not you move up in the company.
    They pay you a portion of any policies you help to sell BUT management will hold your top accounts so they get paid instead of you .
    The Founder/CEO needs a hard reality check and take a sensitivity training course. His belief is that the territory partners are the only group that matters and the rest of us are just the support staff for them.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people you hire. You've hired them for a reason, they clearly know what they are talking about.
    Develop an onboarding process! I basically got shown where my desk was and that was about it. And enough with Tru-U .That was a colossal waste of five days.

"Great Medium Sized Company with a Huge Senior Leadership Problem"

Current Employee - IT in West Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - IT in West Seattle, WA

I have been working at Trupanion full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent but innovative benefits (pet insurance, daycare on site), good work life balance.

Cons

Messing with success, leaders not following through on promises made in public announcements, decisions made without data, all leading to a very frustrating working environment.

Advice to Management

Step aside and get out of the way of those achieving, stop playing favorites. Start living up to what you say, start being honest.

7. "New Customer Representive"

Former Employee - Sales in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Sales in Seattle, WA

I worked at Trupanion full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Generous PTO and Plenty of leads to work with. Opportunity to work from home.

Cons

Complete disconnect with senior management. Company is growing too quick and that could be a good thing, but definitely a bad if there isn't a set plan on how to deal with continuous growth. Minimum wage base pay.

Advice to Management

Just wish they'd stick up more for employees rather than to cater to vet clinics, breeders and shelters.

8. "Great Company!"

Current Employee - Customer Care Specialist in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Customer Care Specialist in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Trupanion full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Numerous positions and managers who are more than willing help you get there, great management in the call center, unlimited bonus potential, I received the shift I asked for with no weekends, remote opportunity, great work ethic, transparent with our policyholders, overall great people to work with. Great benefits with 140 hours PTO, 5 week sabbatical at 5 years, in house dog walking when you bring your pet to work, no scripts in the call center and you can be yourself. Very supportive team!

Cons

Low staffed at times, but the company is doing their best to accommodate.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

"Terrible business practices"

I worked at Trupanion full-time

Pros

People are great, pets in the workplace, good benefits

Cons

Upper management is terrible, makes decisions with no reason, makes financially terrible decisions. Lays off staff with no reason provided.

Advice to Management

Quit or see the company fail.

10. "I love my job!"

Current Employee - Corporate Recruiting Coordinator in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Corporate Recruiting Coordinator in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Trupanion full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Culture, Mission, and Values align with my own passions.

Cons

Growing rapidly! (this can also be a pro)

Advice to Management

none