KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

62% Recommend to a Friend
75% Approve of CEO

Found 293 of over 306 reviews

3.6
Trupanion CEO Darryl Rawlings (no image)
Darryl Rawlings

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Generally great benefits!(in 40 reviews)
  • "The people you work with are great and who doesn't love having a dog to cuddle with if you have a bad call(in 22 reviews)
  • "Great culture and Atmosphere at Trupanion(in 17 reviews)
  • "Amazing pay, incredible benefits, work from home, no micro managing(in 8 reviews)
  • "Pets, caring people, great CEO, work hour flexibility(in 7 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Trupanion and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 4.0
    Featured Review

Great Place to Work!

Jan 20, 2022 - Sales Manager in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Trupanion's mission and values are really the core of all that people do with this company. As a person with a background in non-profit work, it's so nice to be able to work for a private company which feels so strongly that they are contributing to something larger than themselves. We feel like we're saving lives and helping families because we are. The company is flexible and cares about their employees more than any other organization I've been at.

Cons

Trupanion relies A LOT on variable comp models and bonus structures. If you're blessed with a good bonus structure, then you'll be very happy, but if you rely on your base salary, it can really hurt. I think there are pros and cons to this-- it's nice to feel like your effort will return to you directly, but I think many base salaries do need an adjustment to keep up with the costs of living and inflation.

2 people found this review helpful
  2. 5.0

Great place to work

Jul 6, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Helping pets Great people Growth Opportunities

Cons

Miss the pets in the office

Be the first to find this review helpful
  3. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Need to be paid more

Aug 10, 2022 - Claims Department in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits and flexible schedule

Cons

Lack of pay, very corporate

1 person found this review helpful
  4. 2.0

Declining

Jun 29, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Passionate team members, a good mission to help pets and pet owners. Depending on the department there is opportunity to advance in your career. There are some really great people that care about what we do here!

Cons

Benefits - they used to be competitive, but not anymore. 100% employer-paid insurance for the employee, but if you have any dependents, it's EXTREMELY expensive at over 1K PER paycheck. There is a daycare option, but only if you are in Seattle, and good luck getting in (waitlisted). RSU's are a huge push, and leveraged for low base pay/lack of 401K match - and yet, our executive leaders tell employees the stock price doesn't matter (because it's bad) and it's not important to look at it because they don't. The disconnect is alarming. Do they realize that our underpaid employees are using their stock to pay bills, buy a home AND save for retirement? Come on! It does matter! Maybe if we had higher salaries we would ignore the stock price too. Speaking of compensation, we just can't get this right. We do not pay competitively, even more so since inflation and the looming recession ahead. Retention of employees is also alarming. We are losing people left and right (important, and key leaders), namely due to a lack of trust to lead effectively and micromanagement from our two primary executive leaders, zero respect, and being overworked and underpaid. I can't blame them. DEIB. The company states this is a top priority and value, yet we only had ONE DEIB experienced employee hired less than a year ago, which is now no longer with us. How can we expect to grow if we don't hire people that can help us do that effectively and responsibly? If you ask a genuine question or raise a valid concern that doesn't align with the opinion of our executives, they will suggest you find another company to work for. It's appalling.

14 people found this review helpful
  5. 1.0
    Current Employee

Everything was a lie

Jul 29, 2022 - Member Experience Specialist
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great coworkers, ability to WFH, good starting pay, nice benefits

Cons

Intense workload, no support from management, you will never get positive feedback, training is confusing and the information provided conflicts with what you will be told to do while on the job. No one is ever on the same page.

3 people found this review helpful
  6. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Do not work for this company

Jul 22, 2022 - Member Experience Representative
    Business Outlook

Pros

They were once amazing but no more. Rare I mean super rate to get promoted or able to move to other departments. Managent is sub par and inexperienced. They completely changed their commision to a first call resolution whch is 7 DAYS. They discourage tenure and they do offer a stock option if you are able to last 5 years to be vested but their is a 1 in 500 or more chance you will make it that long.

Cons

Inexpeienced management First call resolution of 7 days and that is if customers call back in regards to ANYTHING it will impact you. Bullying mentality and extremely clickish and the company is CHEAP! we are talking frugal. Mayjor tech issues and very little support. Systems do not communicate to each other and they have started outsourcing job functions to the Phllapines.

6 people found this review helpful
  7. 5.0
    Current Employee

Highly recommend this company and sales department! Such a great team

Jun 13, 2022 - Sales Associate
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great culture, awesome co-workers, excellent benefits, great comp plan.

Cons

My experience has been great so I have no challenges other than consumer ignorance

Be the first to find this review helpful
  8. 1.0
    Former Employee

Don’t do it

Jul 15, 2022 - Claims Adjuster in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Gives you the opportunity to work from home and flexibility

Cons

They have no patience with training people the proper way and they have too high expectations

4 people found this review helpful
  9. 4.0

Great benefits

Jun 8, 2022 - Member Experience Specialist
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits, lovely team of pet lovers to work with.

Cons

No room for growth outside of contact center

1 person found this review helpful
  10. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 8 years

To quote Dr. Evil- "How about no??"

Jul 6, 2022 - Member Experience Specialist in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Very good health insurance. On-site daycare for those with kids. WFM with little to no pressure to come back to the office FT.

Cons

Trupanion does not believe or practice cost of living or performance pay raises. Rather, they'll hand out RSU stock bonuses which are pretty worthless since Trupanion's stock continues to tank. If you work in the contact center, it's impossible to actually get a job elsewhere within the company. Trupanion only bothers to get contact center customer service licensed because Trupanion allowed non-licensed agents to sell insurance policies, and they got a MASSIVE fine from the Washington state insurance commissioners office as a result. You may get licensed, but unlike sales, you won't be able to see any potential sweet monthly bonuses from it. Managers WILL gossip about those they manage and do not like and literally sleep with each other on a regular basis. Contact center managers SAY they'll ban abusive customers but don't actually do this. I am a former employee who reached out to the HR team and stock plan team numerous times after leaving and did not receive ANY responses to my inquiries. When I did finally hear back from the stock plan team after multiple teachings out, they gave me confidential information belonging to ANOTHER EMPLOYEE and admitted they hadn't bothered to look up the correct employee! And when I provided information to prove they had given me wrong info (and likely leaked the information of someone who still works there) they said "well just ignore that previous email, it doesn't pertain to you." If this is the info they'll readily admit to, God knows what they're doing that they won't admit to. Daryl doesn't have anything to do with running this company. Margi probably is going to burn it into the ground for the sake of trying to buy a house somewhere on the beach.

7 people found this review helpful
Viewing 1 - 10 of 293 Reviews
</>Embed

Trupanion Reviews FAQs

Trupanion has an overall rating of 3.6 out of 5, based on over 306 reviews left anonymously by employees. 62% of employees would recommend working at Trupanion to a friend and 65% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -10% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Trupanion employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.6 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Trupanion. This rating has decreased by -7% over the last 12 months.

62% of Trupanion employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Trupanion 3.6 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.8 for culture and values and 3.5 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Trupanion to be career development, coworkers, benefits and the cons to be culture, senior leadership, management.

Popular Careers with Trupanion Job Seekers