Trupanion Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 21, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Darryl Rawlings

Pros
  • Free parking, childcare, the ability to bring your pets to work (in 10 reviews)

• You get to bring your dog or cat to work (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Trupanion grew so fast that there were definitely growing pains (in 6 reviews)

• Pay people are livable wage, understand work/life balance (and not just for the few employees who somehow survive 5 years) (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"I love my job"

I have been working at Trupanion full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A group of hard working, compassionate people! Everyone is always trying to do better than we previously have.

Cons

Growing a business can have its hurdles. There is a lot of change and with some back pedaling to be better.

Advice to Management

Change is great and I love the fact that we are evolving, but I would like to see a system in place that would allow another look before jumping in head first. Great intentions, but there can be a lack of perspective if you implement changes to quickly.

"Trupanion Review"

I worked at Trupanion full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The management team seems to truly care about pets and building a good company for the long term.

Cons

Because the company is now public there are strains that come with being a high growth public company that may make planning growth challenging.

Advice to Management

Stay focused on the big picture, keep your employees and customers top-of-mind and show them through service and the company culture and benefits that they matter.

"Looks better on paper"

I worked at Trupanion full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent benefits and pay, office pets

Cons

Unrealistic pressure from management, lack of consistency in expectations and rules enforcement.

Advice to Management

Take a good look at middle-management

"Needs Improvement"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Trupanion (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits are amazing. Good health insurance for both you and one of your pets, fully paid for by the company. Paid sick and vacation.

Cons

Company is not good at following through with what they say they will do. They want to be very transparent with their employees, but end up doing the polar opposite.

Advice to Management

Work on your communication skills and transparency with your employees.

"Love the company, hate the management"

Current Employee - Data Assistant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Data Assistant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Trupanion full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Fantastic benefits: fully paid health/dental/vision, 2 weeks paid vacay starting Jan 1st, one free pet insurance policy.
    - 1 child free at the onsite daycare
    - Bring your dog/cat to work (up to three pets)
    - The company is growing super fast, so you get to watch that and reap the benefits as added.
    - Christmas party, monthly events, cheapo branded stuff like mugs/pens/etc
    - An insurance company that isn't insurance like. We try our best to get people's claims paid instead of the other way around. Even if that includes completing your claim for you (which it nearly always does).
    - Fancy new building (as long as it gets done- still in construction.)
    - Onsite workout room (to be ready in Sept 2016)

Cons

- Most management doesn't actually have experience being managers. All newbies. This can be tiring to deal with. Many are micromanagers. They do not treat you with respect unless you come in asking for it.
    - Pay is VERY low. Benefits may be good, but benefits don't pay the rent.
    - No maternity leave (uses childcare to keep you quiet about this).
    - Upper management runs everything and decides everything based on what THEY like not what's good for the company or the 'little people'.
    - The work is tiring and repetitive.
    - Not allowed to give any input regarding how our jobs can be done better.
    - Call center employees are yelled at a LOT.
    - IT is blamed for a lot of stuff that's not their fault.

Advice to Management

Re-evaluate all management. Cut people who aren't doing their jobs. When half your employees specifically ask not to be assigned to a specific lead, know that that MEANS something.

Some employees are very very good at their jobs but don't follow rules to the T. They are verbally harassed a lot for being 'bad' employees. All people are multi faceted and not a list of attributes on a paper.

Watch for 'trends' among employees and different sections of the company.

Boost morale. I constantly feel stressed.

"Customer Care Specialist Perspective"

Current Employee - Customer Care Specialist in Seattle, WA

Pros

Health Benefits are completely free to employees. New office in Geoegetown is nice. Call center director gladly listens if you have concerns and does try her best to rememdy them- though she needs an admin assistant at this point, she's overworked.

Cons

Zero cost of living raises- you have to transfer departments or bonus heavily once per quarter. Bonusing is difficult if you arent in sales. Working at Trupanion reminds me a lot of being in high school, it's very cliquish. Management clearly picks favorites, and if you're not a favorite you are picked out for performance reviews, withheld from internal promotions, and retaliated against if you call out sick; the latter of which goes against Seattle's paid sick and safety leave act. Management keeps changing operation procedures and tells care and sales agents at the last minute before changing procedures again, then talks down to us when we ask for clarification. No evening support despite being a 24/7 company. Upper management are blissfully kept unaware of employee concerns by lower management.

Advice to Management

We need new managers- the ones we currently have are creating an openly hostile work environment. Create much more clear, open lines of communications to express concerns without fear of retaliation. Stop forcing good employees with tenure to quit because you wont let them voice their concerns, and stop firing employees who have called out SICK.

8. "Customer Care Specialist"

Current Employee - Customer Care Specialist in Seattle, WA

Pros

Good Benefits, Great coworkers, socialize with pets

Cons

Technology isn't the greatest, constant changes and high employee turnover, constantly understaffed

"You'd think working with "pet people" would be a great thing.."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

Free pet insurance and health insurance. Casual work environment. Enjoyed a handful of coworkers. ability to bring a pet to work (but this is also a con).

Cons

The executive/leadership team don't do their job. They are overpaid and take all the credit for other's works. The Territory Partner (TP) business model is a scam. They act like TPs are the backbone for the company yet all leadership does is speak badly of them. Lot's of backstabbers and gossip. A lackluster HR team that does not care about employees.

Advice to Management

Honestly, I'm surprised they are still in business...

"Lack of vision"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Seattle, WA

Pros

I felt closer to the other hourly employees there than I did at any other work environment. With everyone bringing their dogs to work and the casual environment, I very much enjoyed my time around the other workers

Cons

So many. The management is completely inept. They promote from within, which is great, but the upper management will promote people with very little or no experience into a role they're totally not suited for, and subsequently tank that team into the ground. Weekly firings were common place when I worked there, and often times they would occur with very little to no warning. My last month there 5 people quit and six people were fired. And while I felt very close with the other hourly employees, the upper management absolutely could not have cared less about us, and to twist the knife, they'd straight up lie to the employees about anything to try to appease them, when it was embarrassingly obvious that they were lying.
    Want a promotion? You better be best friends with the hiring managers, because otherwise you're going nowhere. Want to make more money? Oh, you're not friends with the hiring manager? Too bad.

Advice to Management

Broken record here, but this company needs an upper management re-haul. fire everyone in upper management and actually hire competent individuals with vision. It's sad, because this company has a fantastic vision, but if they continue at the rate they're going now, they won't be around to enjoy their success.

"No a good fit most."

Former Employee - New Customer Specialist in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - New Customer Specialist in Seattle, WA

I worked at Trupanion full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, Dogs, and not much more. Childcare if you have a kid. Diverse co workers. Free dog insurance. No much else.

Cons

This place has a revolving door of employees. You are always in fear of losing your job without notice. Most High level management is outsourced and they advertise that they hire from within. Miss communication no clear vision. Low pay.

Advice to Management

Employee retention and engagement is more important than hiring and firing. Cost a lot to keep the revolving door going. Treat employees better and stand behinds the companies values.