Trustmark Companies Reviews in Lake Forest, IL | Glassdoor

1. "Anonymus Employee"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Lake Forest, IL
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Lake Forest, IL

I have been working at Trustmark Companies as a contractor

Pros

It is a very friendly environment. People are nice and helpful. Working hours are perfect for me, flexible working hours are also available in some departments.

Cons

I do not see any cons.

2. "Lack of Consistency in Management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Forest, IL

I have been working at Trustmark Companies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Half days on Fridays
    Friendly company
    Work flexability IF you a manager that follows the corporate standards.

Cons

Lack of consistency with corporate policies between departments.
    Little room for growth.
    No flexibility is being able to work from home.
    Medical insurance is awful!! For a health insurance company, your should be offering your employees top notch benefits.

Advice to Management

Have a mass training for all managers on how the employee handbook works and how the rules are to be applied.
    When employees complete the employee survey, have someone from HR talk to the team about the issues, don't have the manager do it. Very awkward, especially if the issue are regarding the manager of the department.

"Awesome place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Forest, IL

I have been working at Trustmark Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been here almost two years and it's one of the best places I've ever worked. They treat their employees extremely well and there is a great work life balance. The 37.5 hour work week is an awesome benefit-Half day Friday is a dream!

Trustmark has an excellent onboarding process that starts employees off on the right foot. My last company didn't have a 401K and Trustmark's matching 401K plan is extremely beneficial.

The beautiful cafeteria and the onsite health-club are added bonuses. It is also conveniently located right off the Tri-State.

Many employees have worked here their entire careers which says a lot about the company.

Cons

1. The company needs to execute projects and initiatives quicker.
    2. There needs to be more training of supervisors and managers on how to be better leaders.

"Fantastic Company- Great People - Work/Life Balance!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Forest, IL

Pros

Solid well respected stable company with great ethics. Interesting and Challenging work - great products. Good leadership! Work environment - fantastic facility, on site cafeteria, health club, 4.5 day work week with 1/2 days on Fridays. Great people, good work life balance "a company with a heart". Business casual 4 days a week - Jeans on Fridays.

Cons

I really can't think of any!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

5. "Actuarial Intern"

Former Intern - Actuarial Intern in Lake Forest, IL
    Former Intern - Actuarial Intern in Lake Forest, IL

I worked at Trustmark Companies as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Many opportunities to further development of skills
    A fun work environment
    Summer housing

Cons

They do not always hire interns for full time employment

"2.5 stars - Lack of career advancement is the biggest problem"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Forest, IL

I worked at Trustmark Companies (More than 8 years)

Pros

The pay is pretty good (but could be better, see cons). Most of the people I worked with were fantastic. My supervisors were great, and they day-to-day job was, while not fulfilling, certainly a lot better than most of the jobs I've had. My particular job had great work hours (although some jobs/departments have lousy hours). When I started there they had a nice little free-to-use employee gym. After acquisition of a health-focused company they upgraded to a fantastic new gym, which now requires a membership fee but it is a VERY reasonable fee, particularly since it includes classes.

Cons

There is a very, very strong streak of favoritism, and if you aren't one of the 'favorites', then the prospects for career advancement are almost nil. They give lip service to the ideas of growth and advancement, including a handful of pages on the internal employee website, but I spent years trying to get as much extra cross-training as possible, constantly asked supervisors and HR for opportunities to advance my career, only to never get more than lip service and brush-offs. I was constantly told by supervisors that I was one of the best employees they'd ever had but received middling grades on evaluations so that the company would have an excuse not to help me advance.

As to the reason the pay could be better - on company-wide employee questionnaires, pay was always one of the biggest issues that came up, and the leadership would always hem and haw and come up with excuses not to increase pay, even during company meetings talking about how amazingly awesome the company was doing, and how that was all due to the employees. Examples: they trotted out a "benchmark" survey of other companies showing that our pay was pretty standard in the industry (funny, because they are always talking about how they are leaders and trailblazers in the industry but hide behind NOT being a leader or trailblazer when it comes to pay); they claimed one of our benefits was that they "subsidized" the cafeteria so that we could buy food with lower prices, despite the food still being overpriced. Specific example: the cafeteria charged, I believe, $1.65 for a yogurt that costs $1 at Wal-mart or $1.10 at Target, and this jacked-up price was supposed to be a 'benefit' that was a reason our pay was kept low?). Raises were pretty much limited to promotions are small end-of-year cost of living increases (that didn't at all keep up with cost of living).

They have a completely nonsensical sick day policy. You get so many sick days per year, but they have a limit on how many "unplanned absence occurrences" you can have, which is fewer than the number of sick days you get. Actually using all of your sick days for, you know, unplanned sick days is grounds for termination (which is especially crazy considering how many studies have shown that companies should let sick employees stay home for the benefit of both the employees AND the company!)

Also, the leadership had a nasty habit of injecting their personal politics into all-employee meetings and using their platform to attempt to bully the employees into voting how they wanted us to vote (the rich white guys in charge of the company always wanted everyone to vote Republican, go figure). Case in point: when the Affordable Care Act was up for vote in Congress, they spent a huge amount of time across multiple all-employee meetings telling us about how its passage would ruin the entire insurance industry, bankrupt the company, result in the loss of all our jobs, etc, etc. All doom and gloom, we absolutely had to call our Congresspeople and tell them not to vote for it, President Obama was a monster who was trying to take our jobs away, etc. (Of course after it passed NONE OF THIS happened, the company actually did BETTER, and after months of bullying us about it they suddenly never mentioned it again. Funny how that works).

Advice to Management

Crack down on favoritism. Keep your political beliefs out of company meetings. Don't just SAY you're going to help employees with career advancement, actually DO something about it.

7. "Avoid working here"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Forest, IL

I have been working at Trustmark Companies (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Cafe on site
    - Steady work flow

Cons

- Very management heavy and a good ol' boys club feeling
    - Bad insurance with high deductibles
    - Poor bonus and incentives. Most incentives are "jeans days" where you get to wear jeans on a specific day. Really?
    - Cafe staff always seems to finish up their conversation before helping you

Advice to Management

Find out what your employees do day-to-day and listen to their suggestions.

"Great company with good benefits"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Forest, IL

I worked at Trustmark Companies full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunity across several different divisions. Company did a good job of promoting from within. Good work life balance. Lots of flexibility around flex-time. The cafeteria was good when I worked there.

Cons

Headquarters in northern suburb that is not very convenient. Very male dominated leadership typical of old line insurance companies.

"Trustmark overall"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Forest, IL

I have been working at Trustmark Companies (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have been employed at Trustmark for 10+ years. I enjoy the people I engage with on a daily basis. Trustmark has a business casual atmosphere and some departments are more laid back than others.

Cons

I have read the reviews on Trustmark and can understand why they were written. Depending on what area you are in depends on which review applies. There are departments in which micromanaging is a full time job; however, there are others in which your manager has faith in their department and you are left to do your job without micromanaging.

Advice to Management

In my opinion, there are quite a few co-workers that have "titles" don't deserve them. Then there are co-workers that deserve promotions and don't receive them. Management should take a look around the atrium and see how many co-worker's are standing around talking, not only on a daily basis; but more on an hourly basis. These are the employee's that should be let go and not the one's that work hard to get the job done.

"Great people to work with"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Forest, IL

Pros

The 1/2 day Fridays are great and my boss is flexible to fit a family schedule but all aren't. The have a great 401.

Cons

The benefits aren't so great but at least we have them. Not a lot of room for advancement.

Advice to Management

Look before you let go of people check there reviews and help them find a job within the company if they want to stay. Take notice of people in the hallway more than once a day on there cell phones. Don't promote for who they are but what they do for the company.