Trustmark Companies Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Trustmark Companies President and Chief Executive Officer Joseph Pray
Joseph Pray

1. Featured Review

"It's been a rewarding career at Trustmark"

Pros

- strong culture of doing the right thing and impeccable ethics
    - long-term focused
    - emphasis on leadership development at senior levels
    - opportunity to make an impact
    - very committed colleagues

Cons

- suburban culture - not much camaraderie outside of work
    - middle management could be cultivated more
    - pace of change can be too slow at times

Advice to Management

Focus more attention on middle management as agents of change and also help them be better bosses. Too many mangers don't adequately represent the vision of senior leadership.

"Awesome place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Forest, IL

I have been working at Trustmark Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been here almost two years and it's one of the best places I've ever worked. They treat their employees extremely well and there is a great work life balance. The 37.5 hour work week is an awesome benefit-Half day Friday is a dream!

Trustmark has an excellent onboarding process that starts employees off on the right foot. My last company didn't have a 401K and Trustmark's matching 401K plan is extremely beneficial.

The beautiful cafeteria and the onsite health-club are added bonuses. It is also conveniently located right off the Tri-State.

Many employees have worked here their entire careers which says a lot about the company.

Cons

1. The company needs to execute projects and initiatives quicker.
    2. There needs to be more training of supervisors and managers on how to be better leaders.

3. "Lack of Consistency in Management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Forest, IL

I have been working at Trustmark Companies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Half days on Fridays
    Friendly company
    Work flexability IF you a manager that follows the corporate standards.

Cons

Lack of consistency with corporate policies between departments.
    Little room for growth.
    No flexibility is being able to work from home.
    Medical insurance is awful!! For a health insurance company, your should be offering your employees top notch benefits.

Advice to Management

Have a mass training for all managers on how the employee handbook works and how the rules are to be applied.
    When employees complete the employee survey, have someone from HR talk to the team about the issues, don't have the manager do it. Very awkward, especially if the issue are regarding the manager of the department.

"Great Employer"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Trustmark Companies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very family oriented. In my three years as a sales consultant, I've been able to build relationships with multiple senior VP's and have had the audience of our CEO. From top to bottom, there is a genuine effort to give you the tools to be successful and to be communicate to you what leadership is thinking, doing, and planning.

Cons

Maybe a little slow to react to industry trends.

"Fantastic Company- Great People - Work/Life Balance!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Forest, IL

Pros

Solid well respected stable company with great ethics. Interesting and Challenging work - great products. Good leadership! Work environment - fantastic facility, on site cafeteria, health club, 4.5 day work week with 1/2 days on Fridays. Great people, good work life balance "a company with a heart". Business casual 4 days a week - Jeans on Fridays.

Cons

I really can't think of any!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

"2.5 stars - Lack of career advancement is the biggest problem"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Forest, IL

I worked at Trustmark Companies (More than 8 years)

Pros

The pay is pretty good (but could be better, see cons). Most of the people I worked with were fantastic. My supervisors were great, and they day-to-day job was, while not fulfilling, certainly a lot better than most of the jobs I've had. My particular job had great work hours (although some jobs/departments have lousy hours). When I started there they had a nice little free-to-use employee gym. After acquisition of a health-focused company they upgraded to a fantastic new gym, which now requires a membership fee but it is a VERY reasonable fee, particularly since it includes classes.

Cons

There is a very, very strong streak of favoritism, and if you aren't one of the 'favorites', then the prospects for career advancement are almost nil. They give lip service to the ideas of growth and advancement, including a handful of pages on the internal employee website, but I spent years trying to get as much extra cross-training as possible, constantly asked supervisors and HR for opportunities to advance my career, only to never get more than lip service and brush-offs. I was constantly told by supervisors that I was one of the best employees they'd ever had but received middling grades on evaluations so that the company would have an excuse not to help me advance.

As to the reason the pay could be better - on company-wide employee questionnaires, pay was always one of the biggest issues that came up, and the leadership would always hem and haw and come up with excuses not to increase pay, even during company meetings talking about how amazingly awesome the company was doing, and how that was all due to the employees. Examples: they trotted out a "benchmark" survey of other companies showing that our pay was pretty standard in the industry (funny, because they are always talking about how they are leaders and trailblazers in the industry but hide behind NOT being a leader or trailblazer when it comes to pay); they claimed one of our benefits was that they "subsidized" the cafeteria so that we could buy food with lower prices, despite the food still being overpriced. Specific example: the cafeteria charged, I believe, $1.65 for a yogurt that costs $1 at Wal-mart or $1.10 at Target, and this jacked-up price was supposed to be a 'benefit' that was a reason our pay was kept low?). Raises were pretty much limited to promotions are small end-of-year cost of living increases (that didn't at all keep up with cost of living).

They have a completely nonsensical sick day policy. You get so many sick days per year, but they have a limit on how many "unplanned absence occurrences" you can have, which is fewer than the number of sick days you get. Actually using all of your sick days for, you know, unplanned sick days is grounds for termination (which is especially crazy considering how many studies have shown that companies should let sick employees stay home for the benefit of both the employees AND the company!)

Also, the leadership had a nasty habit of injecting their personal politics into all-employee meetings and using their platform to attempt to bully the employees into voting how they wanted us to vote (the rich white guys in charge of the company always wanted everyone to vote Republican, go figure). Case in point: when the Affordable Care Act was up for vote in Congress, they spent a huge amount of time across multiple all-employee meetings telling us about how its passage would ruin the entire insurance industry, bankrupt the company, result in the loss of all our jobs, etc, etc. All doom and gloom, we absolutely had to call our Congresspeople and tell them not to vote for it, President Obama was a monster who was trying to take our jobs away, etc. (Of course after it passed NONE OF THIS happened, the company actually did BETTER, and after months of bullying us about it they suddenly never mentioned it again. Funny how that works).

Advice to Management

Crack down on favoritism. Keep your political beliefs out of company meetings. Don't just SAY you're going to help employees with career advancement, actually DO something about it.

7. "Avoid working here"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Forest, IL

I have been working at Trustmark Companies (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Cafe on site
    - Steady work flow

Cons

- Very management heavy and a good ol' boys club feeling
    - Bad insurance with high deductibles
    - Poor bonus and incentives. Most incentives are "jeans days" where you get to wear jeans on a specific day. Really?
    - Cafe staff always seems to finish up their conversation before helping you

Advice to Management

Find out what your employees do day-to-day and listen to their suggestions.

"Working at Trusmark Insurance Companies"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Trustmark Companies (More than 5 years)

Pros

Family culture makes everyone feel welcome.

Cons

Old school management style needs to be updated.

Advice to Management

Develop your talent.

"Great company with good benefits"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Forest, IL

I worked at Trustmark Companies full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunity across several different divisions. Company did a good job of promoting from within. Good work life balance. Lots of flexibility around flex-time. The cafeteria was good when I worked there.

Cons

Headquarters in northern suburb that is not very convenient. Very male dominated leadership typical of old line insurance companies.

"Executive Director"

Former Employee - Executive Director in Skokie, IL
    Former Employee - Executive Director in Skokie, IL

I worked at Trustmark Companies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Trustmark is a culture that cares about its people. The executive leadership team is committed to leadership development and invest their own time to sponsor leadership initiatives. Employees are willing to help one another and their is a genuine interest in knowing others as people first. Sr. leaders often display a strong commitment to the growth of the company.

Cons

Change is slow and at times frustrating. It can be difficult to install much needed changes. Decision making can be slow and the line between collaboration and consensus building are often blurred.

Advice to Management

Step out of the weeds. Focus on holding leadership accountable to high-level goals vs trying to understand and solving it for them.