Trustwave Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Trustwave CEO and President Robert J. McCullen
Robert J. McCullen

Pros
Cons
  • Highly unorganized departments and lack of communication is impacting customers (in 5 reviews)

• A bit of a disconnect between upper management and the lower levels of the company (in 6 reviews)

1. "Sales Representative"

I have been working at Trustwave full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great office space/location. Open concept, great environment, perks such as pool table, ping pong, tv's, quiet rooms and free beverages. Managers, although mostly new, do a good job motivating the sales team and being available to the team.

Cons

One of the lowest base salaries out there, and although commision can be good, territories are small and sales cycle is long. Be prepared to wait 8-12 months for a solid commision check....unless you get lucky. Lead generating is slim to none so your unreasonable quota will be all based on cold calling and cold emails. Lots of growing pains still.

Advice to Management

Management is good in my opinion. Keep sticking up for your team members and trying to keep good people in the company.

2. "Great company to work for!"

I have been working at Trustwave full-time

Pros

Great culture! It can be a bit intimidating at first, coming from a non-technical background, but with a very informative and fun 4 week training program and supportive colleagues and management, it sure made for a smooth transition into this role. I truly feel like i'm learning something new everyday and challenging myself to my full potential. It's the perfect company to work for at this time and not only because we have the coolest new office space but this industry is booming!

Cons

Haven't found too many "cons" thus far but my only struggle is building pipeline and clientele. You won't start off making a ton of money but once you put in the work, deals will slowly start coming in.

Advice to Management

They are extremely supportive and motivating.

Feb 15, 2017 – Director, Talent Acquisition

Thanks for the kind words, sounds like you are well on your way to successful career.

3. "Review of Sales at Trustwave"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Trustwave (More than a year)

Pros

Great employees and work life balance

Cons

Culture change for the negative and very low industry salary

5. "SME Sales"

Current Employee - SME Sales in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Trustwave full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company culture is awesome. I wake up every Monday excited to come into the office.The new office is state of the art and comes with golden tee, pool table, ping pong and full kitchen. The training/onboard process here is great and really helps you prepare for the day to day as a SME rep. Some of the best training I have found at a company in my 10 years of being a sales rep.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Advice to Management

Continue what you are doing in regards to the on going training and sales contests.

Feb 15, 2017 – Director, Talent Acquisition

Thanks for the kind words, so very glad to hear you enjoy the new space.

6. "Great company, huge industry"

I have been working at Trustwave full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Extremely prominent industry, great culture, cool office space and overall a fun crew.

The training program is thorough and fun. Trustwave prides itself on its own brand of selling, but is also realistic about the nature of the game. Over the course of 4-5 weeks they teach you the ropes and give you a solid foundation of how to best succeed in the industry, but also encourage you "make it your own". I walked away from the on-boarding experience feeling encouraged and eager to connect with my clients as an adviser, not a salesperson. At the end of the day, Trustwave is an industry leader - and the training program reflects that confidence.

Upper management is good. There is a healthy balance of camaraderie and competition, but we're always encouraged to work as a team.

Happy hours, free lunches, the usual stuff.

Cons

As with any growing company, there are bumps in the road. The handing-over of clients isn't always smooth, and the lines between different teams can be blurry. A lot of the job is learn as you go.

I think training could improve by preparing us for that (e.g. dedicating time to the boring administrative stuff, drilling the ins-and-outs of internal systems, finding time to look at and learn about our accounts before we hit the floor)

Advice to Management

Managers sometimes appear to be spread too thin. Support them.

Keep up the happy hours to maintain morale and create friendships. Bring in healthy snacks into the office.

Feb 15, 2017 – Director, Talent Acquisition

Thanks for the kind words! Love to hear that the new office space is being so well received. Love your attitude as well, life is messy - learn to adapt - success will follow.

7. "Great Organization"

I have been working at Trustwave full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Laid back & great atmosphere. Management truly cares about your personal successes along with the teams. Great co-workers and a lot of team work goes into every sales process. A great training program that sets you up to succeed both professionally and helps you grow personally.

Cons

I've seen nothing but positive qualities from the companies employees and leadership.

Feb 15, 2017 – Director, Talent Acquisition

I am sure Erin will be overjoyed to hear that you enjoyed the sales training program. She and her team have truly made this a labor of love. Positive comments are a great reward for all the hard ... More

8. "A company that cares about its employees and provides you with time to learn and grow."

I have been working at Trustwave full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Laid back culture, open door policy. People who work here are nice and awesome. The security space is easier to sell into.

Cons

This is something that is not company specific but rather an industry dynamic, the sales cycle is long, mind-numbingly long. If you are someone who needs to see results materialize to keep plugging, find an industry with a shorter sales cycle

Advice to Management

You have the right culture and manager are home grown and fantastic.

Sales training is utterly useless. this is the opinion across the board.

Educate the newer folks about sales cycles, client expectation, Industry Dynamics and Product Niche's to prioritize.

Feb 15, 2017 – Director, Talent Acquisition

Selling a service is very complex and long-cycles are the norm. Hang in there, you have a great foundation to support you and an organization that has invested heavily in your success.

9. "Good Starting Point For Security Sales Professionals"

Former Employee - SME Sales in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - SME Sales in Chicago, IL

I worked at Trustwave full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Enjoyed working at Trustwave, met a lot of great people. Working here truly opened doors to some great opportunities within the industry and taught me a ton. The environment was welcoming, my peers were friendly, professional and helpful during my initial stages of working here.

Cons

You can make OK money for Chicago, but definitely not great.There's high turnaround in the company and customers know that and aren't as inclined to working with them anymore. Also, I've ran into a lot of delivery/support issues with my existing customers and that ate up a lot of my time. Aside from low comp, my second deciding factor in leaving was due to continuous delivery issues. I constantly had existing angry customers calling me to complain how something wasn't working or how long they had to wait to start a service. Since I knew I wanted to stay in security, relationships were important to me and I did not want to ruin my reputation within the industry.

Advice to Management

Take better care of your employees financially. Most people including myself left due to the low pay that wasn't sustainable for the lifestyle I was seeking.

Feb 15, 2017 – Director, Talent Acquisition

Sorry to hear this wasn't the right opportunity for you. Due the enormous growth of our organization we have had to work hard to overcome order backlogs and the ensuing dilemma of how to scale and ... More

10. "Best company I've worked for"

Current Employee - Delivery Operations in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Delivery Operations in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Trustwave full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work-life balance, benefits, modern office

Cons

There really aren't any that I can complain about.

Feb 15, 2017 – Director, Talent Acquisition

I normally try to say something smart and snappy, but this warrants a simple - I agree!

11. "PCI DSS QSA -- Not Recommended"

I worked at Trustwave full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-ability to travel and see domestic and international locations

-part of a security company contributing to the general safety and well-being of others in the IT industry

- the ability to telecommute ( depending on role)

Cons

-work/home life balance is negligible -- you work for the company first, home-life when available

- no corporate card -- Trustwave expects you to finance all arrangements for work, with the exception of airfare. You will "expense" this, and eventually they will reimburse you, but after your interest rate has kicked in on your credit card.

sales associates are unprofessional and lacking -- They don't care about anything else except themselves. Projects are scoped incorrectly. Hours are severely under-estimated. Communication is non-existent. This is pushed downstream to the individual who has face contact with the client. Its setting up for failure.

- poor policies & procedures -- Trustwave does a poor job at communicating with the employee. It took almost a solid year of working at Trustwave to figure out "precisely" what the expense policy for meals entailed, and where it was located. Because the various groups located within the QSA group do things their own way, there is no forced consistency and representation to the client is inconsistent.

-- PCI DSS QSA teams are staffed with individuals with little technical talent. This role is supposed to require technical skills that would aid in assessing a client's compliance towards PCI DSS. Instead, the larger hurdle is whether or not you can stay up on all the inconsistent practices between teams and whether or not you can fill out the poorly explained documentation.

-- High Turnover -- the turnover rate in this group is very high. People come and go all the time because the role is "sink or swim". This does a disservice to the customer, and to the employee that is handed a half-finished project riddled with inconsistent work. QSA's leave because there is not help in this role. You are asked to chase down sales managers to verify customer PoC because the SOW may or may not be up to date.

Advice to Management

if Trustwave management overhauled their onboarding procedure, and standardized their procedures into documents that were more readily available... I believe their turnover would be severely reduced. It feels like Trustwave doesn't give you the tools readily to survive and thrive in the role. If this changed, Trustwave would be, and stay the global leader in PCI security.

Feb 15, 2017 – Director, Talent Acquisition

You can't have a rainbow without some rain. Your criticism is heard loud and clear. I would love to give you a point by point rebuttal, but I think you needed to vent a little bit and I am glad you ... More