Truven Health Analytics Reviews in Ann Arbor, MI | Glassdoor

Ann Arbor, MI

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Mike Boswood

Pros
  • Work life balance has been great so far (in 39 reviews)

• Flexible hours and ability to work from home are good benefits and the company is very family friendly (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance has become non existent (in 9 reviews)

• It would be good to fix those actions and fix upper management (in 8 reviews)

1. "The only constant is change"

Current Employee - Director, Product Management in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Director, Product Management in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Truven Health Analytics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Recent acquisition by IBM Watson Health is very promising for the future of the company

Cons

Have suffered from lack of investment for years, and are struggling to catch up

2. "Supportive Culture - Slow Tools"

Current Employee - Analytic Consultant in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Analytic Consultant in Ann Arbor, MI

Pros

Great work-life balance for the industry. Supportive onboarding/learning processes.

Cons

The analytics tools themselves can be slow and frustrating sometimes. The merger with IBM Watson Health may provide more exciting opportunities.

"So far so good (Sr. Analytic Consultant)"

Current Employee - Senior Analytic Consultant in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Analytic Consultant in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Truven Health Analytics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It may take some time, but Truven does recognize hard work. If you are dedicated and vocal about what you want there is a good support system to help you get there. The speed in which that happens can be frustrating sometimes but I don't think that is very uncommon. Work-life Balance is respected, colleagues are great, and there is a bright future for our industry.

Cons

Pay seems to be less competitive but that could potentially change under IBM. The Analytic team is spread out across the country so the office environment can be stale.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to your employees and reward dedication and hard work.

"Good product - Management needs more focus."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at Truven Health Analytics (More than 10 years)

Pros

Proud to be associated with the product offering. Gold standard in the industry

Cons

Employee growth is lacking. There is nothing to help an employee advance in the company

6. "Great company"

Current Employee - Data Manager in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Data Manager in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Truven Health Analytics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great collaborative environment with wonderful small company culture

Cons

Traffic to and fro annoying

Advice to Management

Work on process compliance

"Almost tricked myself into making this my career"

Current Employee - Data Management Consultant in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Data Management Consultant in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Truven Health Analytics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

After working at Truven for a while, I've become invested in the company. Coworkers are hands down the best I've ever had, industry is very interesting, and work is rewarding. Almost made me forget I didn't plan on staying for the rest of my career. Flexible hours, competitive benefits, professional growth opportunities, ability to work from home, and recent acquisition by IBM are all huge pros.

Cons

Company pushes one or two main products/services and is trying to phase out some products that clients find extremely valuable and aren't as clunky as others. Teams that work on projects using products that aren't sold as aggressively are often left short-handed.

Advice to Management

If teams have to work late/over weekends just to hit deadlines, maybe you should allow them to hire someone.

"Good company"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at Truven Health Analytics full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good company with relatively good management. A good culture with a lot of talented people. Lots of products and technologies so if you could transfer internally lots to learn.

Cons

Too focused on cutting costs (private equity owner wanted to sell). Most positions opening up were offshore, so there weren't as many opportunities in the U.S.

Advice to Management

It should be made very clear to owner that their focus on selling the company was hurting company operations.

9. "Truven Health Analytics/an IBM Company"

Current Employee - Contractor/Recruit Coordinator in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Contractor/Recruit Coordinator in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Truven Health Analytics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Love the health environment and open collaboration.

Cons

I truly have not con. Truven Health is a great place to have a career.

Advice to Management

Continue to encourage your team.

"Worst career decision I've made"

Current Employee - Consultant in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Consultant in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Truven Health Analytics full-time

Pros

decent work/life balance. I barely work over 45 hrs a week, which is surprising in the consulting world. Decent healthcare benefits.

Cons

Now, either these positive reviews are either fake reviews written by the company's recruiters to entice prospective candidates or I really have the misfortune of working in what I would consider the most dysfunctional department ever. And here is why:
    1. The proprietary software we use are outdated, unreliable and the slowest products ever. Be prepared to pull out your hair or take aspirin on a daily basis to deal with it.
    2. Poor communication and low morale. I can't say if this is company wide but my department is a complete mess. Several of my co-workers are clearly overworked and stressed and the result of this leads to people genuinely looking and sounding miserable. This leads to people pushing off tasks to other people, and the vicious cycle continues.
    3. Little direction in projects and assignments. I worked in the consulting world for a long time now and I understand that there will always be ambiguity with projects. But here, you feel like you're on a boat with only a life vest to save yourself.
    4. Little growth. I realized that there's not much you can gain from this position to make yourself marketable in the long run. The longer you stay, the more likely you will be stuck here because you will have likely forgotten how to use more commonly used statistical software.
    5. Constant company wide meetings that have little to do with your daily tasks. These are targeted to make you learn more about all their products (many of which are not applicable to you) and how to be a better employees. I gain nothing from them and these are time eaters that we are obliged to participate in multiple times every week.
    7. Poor compensation. The salary is on the far lower end of the spectrum in the private sector consulting world.

If I could go back in time, I would have vehemently told myself to not accept this position. It's not worth the headache and stress.

"The grass is not always greener on the other side."

Advice to Management

(Re)evaluate your managers/team leads where there are high turn over rates. There is pattern to why employees are leaving. Also, when we are constantly informing our clients that they cannot use the product or informing them workarounds on random errors they receive, consider redesigning your product entirely instead of putting bandages for temporary fixes. It looks bad as a firm when we have unreliable products that clients hate using but have already paid for.

"reseanable"

Former Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at Truven Health Analytics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

stable, sound pay, interesting work

Cons

schedule unpredictable, overtime, too much work