Tsymmetry Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Philip Lowit

1. "Great and Getting Greater"

Current Employee - Principal Full-Stack Development Lead in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Principal Full-Stack Development Lead in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Tsymmetry full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Been working two years at TSymmetry and I'm planning on working here many years more. Since I started, they've added a 401K matching program and are now looking at expanding their workforce and capabilities to take on new business.

I work from home and have been contracted out to two (soon to be three) different groups where I've learned SO MUCH and been able to take on new roles as (officially) a team lead and solution architect. I can also take as much reimbursed training and education as I need (up to a limit, of course).

The "Talent Management" staff (they unite contracts with contractors like myself) and upper management work hard to keep their employees engaged and learning and genuinely care about both the business and individuals' personal situations.

Cons

TSymmetry is a small company. I've worked at super-small companies of 10 or less and I've worked at companies 100,000 or more. I love the culture and values of small companies personally, but some I've met prefer a clear and obvious ladder to climb that only large companies can provide.

2. "Hardworking High Performing Firm that Rewards Hardwork"

Current Employee - Resource Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Resource Manager in Washington, DC

Pros

Amongst the training and great pay offered, the management team is always looking into new ways to add value to the employee experience. It is hard work, but the career payoff, the knowledge learned from watching the how the company runs, is priceless. The benefits package is extremely progressive and generous as well.

Cons

You work a lot of hours - but it's nothing crazy at all. If you want to have a no brainer 9 to 5, probably isn't for you. If you want your hard work and contributions to be honestly valued and recognized, this is the place for you. The time put in pays off in compensation rewards. That said, even with the bit longer hours, I have found a better, more fulfilling, and more productive work life balance since starting here.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing, the actual appreciation honest, critical input does not go unnoticed.

3. "data analyst/ onsite support specialist"

Former Employee - Hours/Week in Tomah, WI
    Former Employee - Hours/Week in Tomah, WI

I worked at Tsymmetry (More than a year)

Pros

Great office support staff always there for your questions.

Cons

To bad I could only work for them on contract Office Is in VA and I am in WI

5. "Just Okay"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Tsymmetry full-time

Pros

Staff treatment is equal across the board

Cons

No one answers the phone, ever.

Advice to Management

Email and texting are not effective. Change how your staff communicates.

6. "Great company"

Former Employee - Headquarters in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Headquarters in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Tsymmetry (More than a year)

Pros

Management does a great job of communicating strategy and providing career opportunities. Felt they were invested in me and in the company. Atmosphere is positive, project-focused and free of nonsense.

Cons

Not really a 'con', but jobs within the company require a strong focus on well-understood core responsibilities. Flexibility to expand the boundaries of that will be matched with opportunities.

Advice to Management

None!

7. "Not for Accoubnting professionals"

I worked at Tsymmetry full-time

Pros

-I really can not think of many

Cons

-If you are into IT then this company is for you; not so much for accounting
    -Low wages

8. "Recruiter"

Former Employee - Recruiter in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Washington, DC

I worked at Tsymmetry full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Base salary is much more than market value - especially given that the people they hire generally have little-no experience in recruiting.

Cons

The leadership team does not understand recruiting. Their process makes little sense to anyone outside of the Tsymmetry universe, but due to the lack of experience in recruiting on the team - no one speaks up/knows different. Management can often come across as pushy and selfish, and often treat potential candidates as nothing more than a piece of meat that they are trying to force into accepting a job and billing them out. As a whole, they are not knowledgable on the industry, but talk down to their employees and candidates as if they are. A terrible working environment, where you are forced to stay late nights, doing the same work you were doing all day. They do not practice/believe in working smart, only in looking like you are working hard. An absolutely terrible place to work. If you are looking to be over paid and get a nice pay check - this is the place for you. If you are looking to learn, enjoy your job, and have a solid work life balance - this is not the place for you. Opportunities to make commission are minimal - as their book of business is dissolving by the day. The requirements recruiters often find themselves working, are empty promises - as they have no relationships with hiring managers other than a requirement being emailed to them. They cannot get feedback on requirements, and their customers tend to view them as over priced and a joke.

Advice to Management

Bring in someone to lead the recruiting team that actually knows what they are doing. Educate themselves on recruiting and the tech market in general. Bring in some business development specialist to help bring in new requirements and customers.

9. "High Performance - High Rewards"

I have been working at Tsymmetry full-time

Pros

-high productivity is recognized and rewarded with both advancement and compensation
    -comprehensive wellness program (gym membership, opportunity for remote/flexible hours, cognizant of work life balance)
    -HQ has a great staff, good working environment with great people and competitive spirit
    -opportunity to collaborate with successful companies like Accenture and IBM and many federal agencies
    -competitive benefits, 401k, paid time off
    -great learning experience - offers a lot of training and further education assistance

Cons

-requires not only hard work but results - big time investment

10. "A contracting house"

Current Employee - Software Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Software Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at Tsymmetry full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is a good company if you want to be, essentially, an independent consultant without all the hassle of running your own payroll. They respond to inquiry, but for the most part you are out on an island with the client.

Cons

Company culture does not have a tight knit community. Most of the employees/contractor are out on client site.

11. "Growing and changing can be a good thing"

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Arlington, VA

I worked at Tsymmetry full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some key players have joined the team, while others have left. This introduces some positive changes and shakes things up in a good way. However, it also complicates some things and new processes can take time and be painful to implement. It's a good company with good people and good projects. However, most of the work is project-based, so your employment is dependent on finding work for you. They partner with various companies to introduce technologies to clients, which creates opportunities for employees to train up on these efforts and increase their job security.

Cons

Not much bench time (if any) between projects. No payout of unused vacation time when you leave the company, but they do work with you on your final date so that you can use some PTO before leaving. More formal processes need to be put into place, with better self-service tools online.

Advice to Management

Support those who support clients and employees in the field. They are heading for burnout, if not already, and they need more help. Even if you need to hire someone part-time or from a temp company, any help will do. Stay professional in how you communicate with people in HQ.