TubeMogul Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
TubeMogul CEO & Co-Founder Brett Wilson
Brett Wilson

Pros
  • Fast paced industry allows for autonomous job role (in 9 reviews)

• This is a great place for people looking to make an impact: (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Better work/life balance will follow (in 16 reviews)

• Sometimes long hours, pay may not be higher than other similar companies out there (in 12 reviews)

1. "A great workplace for hungry people"

Current Employee - Engineer in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at TubeMogul full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Opportunities to grow yourself, tackle complex challenges, and make a direct impact to business future. The engineering team handle smartly moving fast while dealing any technical debt with reasonable balance which help delivering true business value, feel rewarded quickly, and build a strong product on the long term. Despite being a public company, the standard is still at moving fast and do a lot with a little with a clear customer focus and amazing market innovation. It is a thrilling environment to grow in with a lot of talented people.

Cons

Work/Life balance may be hard at time, tho it's difficult to prevent when tackling complex and unique challenges.

Advice to Management

Keep it to your roots. Don't forget what makes the company a market leader. Keep a strong customer focus in your decision process. Anything else is just noise or fluff.

"Lots of talk, not a lot of substance."

I have been working at TubeMogul full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice selection of yogurt and fruits in the kitchens. Office is mostly natural light. People are generally in a good and positive mood while their heads are buried in the sand.

Cons

Shamefully inefficient processes at most levels of infrastructure and engineering. Huge capital burn as a result, lots of frantic fire fighting on a daily basis. Dev teams are very out of touch with how production works and cross-team communication consists primarily of desk-walkup conversations instead of team meetings.

Org is obsessed with sprints while the staff is in the dark about long term project goals or overall purpose (aside from trying to profit in the short term). Feels like they're waiting for an IPO, except that already happened. Very flighty feel to the org... will they be around in five years? Culture is overly young and lacks experience working at scale; blissfully unaware.

Advice to Management

Plan for the long term. Don't base promotions on people simply sticking around for several years and then making them pseudo-authority figures when they lack real world experience. Stop maintaining the status-quo and invest time and money into proven architectures instead of whatever the mostly mid-level staff happen to be comfortable with.

Spend money on training people instead of waiting for miracles to happen. If you want people to take you seriously then spend more time addressing inefficiencies and less time planning redundant after work parties; and drinking on the job should not be acceptable or encouraged as a team event... it's seriously unprofessional during business hours.

"Excellent Place to Work"

I have been working at TubeMogul full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture & benefits. Solid leadership.

Cons

Product has a ton of legacy thinking and code. Needs to be re-envisioned and optimized for 2016. To be fair, our industry is rapidly changing.

Engineering is mostly reactive rather than proactive when it comes to issues with product and platform.

Advice to Management

Conduct a ground up review & study both internally and with clients of the products UI and usability. It needs work.

"Good place to learn"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at TubeMogul full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to learn a lot about ad tech.
    People, in general, help each other a lot. A few teams work really well with each other and are more like friends.

Cons

If you are not a developer then it is hard to get the recognition.
    Working long hours is a given.
    Not so many team outings !
    401k matching could be better.

Advice to Management

Recognize non-developers too.

"Senior Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at TubeMogul full-time

Pros

* Great team
    * Nice work environment
    * Flexibility
    * Fast growing
    * Diversified tools and technologies

Cons

* Sometimes speed becomes more important than quality of work
    * Engineers are often too competitive to share knowledge or mentor others in the team

Advice to Management

Give more effort on long term team building

"I've dealt with misogynist bosses who got pushed around the company instead of being fired."

Current Employee - Quality Engineer in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Quality Engineer in Emeryville, CA

Pros

Generally a good quality of people, stable working environment. Technology being used is engaging and interesting.

Cons

Feeling dismissed, over qualified and under paid, feeling under appreciated and a recent lack of commitment to stability and quality.

Advice to Management

Be more aware of the culture in your office and make more of a commitment to stability and less to supposed promises.

"So Fired Up Right Now!"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at TubeMogul full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I'm so fired up to be here at this time in our history! I've been here a while and never saw us doing so many great things. There's very little serious competition nowdays and even though the world hates ad tech, this company is doing right by advertisers and will ultimately win. The company repeatedly delivers and improves itself. I've seen this over and over and over. All of the founders are still highly engaged in the business. One side effect is that people really care about what they are doing. If you are bright you can work on some very cool things here and move up fast because there's so much to do.

Cons

As stated, the fact that the stock is public now adds an unneeded distraction. Also things move very quickly. Slower movers can fall behind a bit.

Advice to Management

Keep executing. Keep moving things forward fast. But maybe work on helping guide people who don’t actively seek out advancement on their own.

"Amazing Journey So Far!"

Current Employee - Engineering in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at TubeMogul full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

One of the best thing I like about this company are the people. It was easy to develop strong friendships and build partnerships with adjacent teams. The key to enjoying work at TubeMogul is owning and living the company core values. Reflecting back, the interview process painted a very accurate picture of what working at TubeMogul is like - What you see during the process is what you get.

Perks, salaries, and benefits in engineering are good and matched based on what you bring to the table. Everyone here is excited about the growth potential in this booming industry. This translates into employee growth opportunities within the company. This is very evident with members having the flexibility to switch teams and contribute even more in other areas. I have seen and heard of new college grads eventually becoming rock stars. Please check our careers page, we have been and are hiring non-stop.

I know that in the bay area we have talent from around the world. TubeMogul definitely recognizes this and invested to build out global mobility team. If you are looking for visa sponsorship, this company is incredibly supportive and on top of all paperwork and activities. They dont cut corners and work with a reputed law firm who keep you updated on everything you need to know.

The leadership team here has been kind, humble, and passionate about building the company. The founders are Berkeley MBA college grads who multiplied the company from 2 to 500 till date. I am confident in the leadership team abilities and the company's future from my perspective is looking very bright and strong.

Cons

This company is in growth mode and needs folks who are willing to work hard, be present, and willing to get into the weeds and figure things out. If you have this attitude you will have a GREAT time but at the same time if you are not then you will be automatically filtered out and soon will see the exit door.

Advice to Management

Continue focusing on hiring and retaining high quality talented individuals.

"Great place to jump start your career"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Emeryville, CA

I worked at TubeMogul full-time (More than a year)

Pros

hard working co-workers, flexible work hour for engineers, cool tech, chance to solve hard problems.

Cons

long work hours, inexperienced project managers/product managers (recent grads), politics, frat-like environment sometimes.

Advice to Management

more diversity in executive team, train your pm/pjm team.

"Company improvements required to acquire / retain talented employees."

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Emeryville, CA

I worked at TubeMogul full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Relaxed environment (for the most part)
    - Most people at the company seem like genuinely cool people
    - Snacks
    - If you're interested in learning something new and there is an opening position. The company will let you slide into that position and grow into it.
    - The ad tech space is relatively new still, lots of uncharted water.

Cons

- Company grew way too fast which caused processes to break down (or lack thereof).

- Parking challenged (It was like this for a while before I left and management doesn't appear to want to solve this issue). It seems like it's 3 employees to one parking spot.

- No catered breakfast/lunches (But there is catered dinner if you choose to stay past 7pm)

- Website said regularly catered lunches (once a month does not warrant the word "regularly")

- 401K - When I first started working here there was no 401k matching, right before I left they started doing a 4 year vest for 401k matching. 25% of matching per one year of work. I've never heard of vesting a 401k match.

- When I first started I asked for a nicer monitor and I was denied by our IT team. The monitor they gave me and everyone else in the company is a cheap low resolution monitor (It's really awesome to tab through windows when coding!). I had to bring the issue all the way up to the executive level of engineering to get the monitor I needed to do my job efficiently (I think it's odd to have jump through hoops when this equipment should be available to employees in the first place).

- Do not allow employees to have a keyboard / mouse set that you would like to use. Everyone at this company is at their desk 80% to 90% of the time, which means that each employee should use peripherals they are most comfortable with and not get stuck with a $20 keyboard / mouse set from Frys. I asked for something outside of the $20 set and I was asked for a doctors note or "feel free to bring your own".

- Just in general the equipment supplied to employees is no where close to tech company standards. It's nice to do coding and QA work on a base model macbook air. (to be fair I received a better computer 4-5 months after my start date. I had to escalate my concerns again)

- Small quarterly bonuses for Engineering (compared to other places in the area)

Advice to Management

Fortunately, we live in a part of the country that most tech companies have great perks. (catered food daily, regular outings, cool working spaces, nice laptop/equipment, and so on and so forth) Unfortunately, this company doesn't offer anything even close.

The "perks" aren't a requirement when looking for a great company, but the reality here is that this company is in a area with a lot of tech talent with an abundance of tech companies with very similar benefits / perks. How can a place attract and retain talent without offering similar benefits as companies in the area.

This company has a lot of potential and I think this place needs an injection of good talent across the board to bring it to the next level. I think evaluating the company and making the offerings competitive with neighboring companies in the bay area would put this place on the right path to get and keep good talent. After all great talent builds great companies.