TubeMogul Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
TubeMogul CEO & Co-Founder Brett Wilson
Brett Wilson

Pros
  • This is a great place for people looking to make an impact: (in 10 reviews)

• The first thing you notice is the people and the company culture (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Better work/life balance will follow (in 16 reviews)

• Sometimes long hours, pay may not be higher than other similar companies out there (in 13 reviews)

1. "Great product, great people, great vision"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at TubeMogul full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Senior management and leaders are fully transparent to the rest of the team.
    Great vision on how to merge with Adobe's capabilities to become the #1 digital marketing consultant, executioner, etc.
    Product's advanced and everyone's input is valued on how to develop it further (even if you're not on the product team!)
    New York office is an open space - allowing for easy collaboration.
    Organized and efficient meetings.
    The Adobe acquisition has been pretty much seamless.

Cons

None - but now that we've been acquired by Adobe.. can we get some tech titan company love? The Adobe offices in Cali have cafeterias, for instance. Daily catered meals at Tube's NY office would be just great! You get tired of the snacks pretty quick.. plus, our Union Square location is just brimming with great eateries - would love to support these local businesses. Pretty sure that as we grow the team / bring in Adobe members, free lunches would be much appreciated. Lets keep our team fueled, like Google and FB does!

Advice to Management

Keep the culture alive!

2. "Start-up, went public, acquired by software company and still had an amazing culture"

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at TubeMogul full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Acquired by major software company. Executive team is top notch. Voices are heard at all levels. Best place I've ever worked!

Cons

Acquired by major software company Need more management training for new managers. Communication could be increased across offices. Smaller regional offices still need exec support - don't forget about them!

Advice to Management

Stay true to core values and maintain culture. Pay employees what they're worth.

3. "Career Launcher!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at TubeMogul full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Plenty of opportunities to make your mark
    -You'll get to experience and work on projects that really does impact the company

Cons

-Stuck in "start-up" mentality even after IPO
    -Need to wear many hats

Advice to Management

-Stay genuine and transparent. The transparency from the CEO is what really sets the company apart - it just shows respect to the staff and cuts to the chase with any good or less stellar news.

5. "Tube"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Emeryville, CA

Pros

Small Company Feel
    Great work culture
    Awesome people

Cons

Salary could be better
    Weekend work

6. "The ride of my career!"

Current Employee - RVP West Coast in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - RVP West Coast in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at TubeMogul full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I started with TubeMogul just after they made the pivot from being a video syndication and analytics technology to a buying platform for advertisers (late 2011/early 2012). I was hired to open their Australian office and subsequently got to spend some time in NY before being moved again to LA where I am closing up 2 years leading the West Coast's sales and operations teams as RVP. My journey has been anything but ordinary right from the first interviews (where I was asked to shoot my own video ad and run a campaign in the software with no training). I've been challenged more and worked harder than I ever thought possible, but in return, I've grown and progressed in my career at a rate that I couldn't have achieved anywhere else. I was drawn to the company by its vision (driving hard at the emerging fringe of the market) and values (particularly around advertiser transparency and independence). These two things have never wavered in the 5 years I've been here and it's a testament to Brett and the Executive team that the company has continued on the same path they set out on so long ago.

Cons

TubeMogul can often be a challenging place to work and no one will mislead you in the interview process about that. I'll be the first to admit that I've seen some great people win a role at TubeMogul but quickly find that this isn't the place for them. It doesn't mean they weren't a great hire or that TubeMogul isn't a great company, it's just that the fit required to truly succeed in this working environment is often hard to find. I've personally done my best to screen people who look amazing in pedigree but who I know won't enjoy the pace and demands of a company which is doing everything it can to win - all the time. The reward for the sacrifice isn't always monetary at TubeMogul (though it often can be). It's a culture which suits those who are inherently competitive, who value personal growth over monetary rewards and who want to set their careers up working on the cutting edge of our industry (a hard place to operate). Starting out is like taking a leap of faith but I urge new starters to trust that if you can truly deliver excellent results, the rewards and opportunities will follow when the business has the capacity to bestow them upon you. The reality is that the company goes through phases of being flush with new funding or needing to tighten belts to drive profitability. Once you understand those realities, you realize that leadership is doing their best to keep everyone happy whenever possible though the switch can't be on to bestow rewards and promotions all the time.

Advice to Management

Growing is rewarding and tough at the same time. Keeping the culture alive from the early days of sub-100 staff through to the scale of today's operation (750+) is not easy but it's so important. Keep focused on our people and work to improve/reduce processes that result from the growth. Exciting times are ahead and I'm excited to see where the business can take things the next 2-3 years. Good luck!

7. "GSD, MSH, FSO"

Current Employee - Associate Account Director in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Associate Account Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at TubeMogul full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture, great people, lots of mobility, great place for self starters.

Cons

Can be hard to get firm direction - need to be autonomous.

8. "A great workplace for hungry people"

Current Employee - Engineer in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at TubeMogul full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Opportunities to grow yourself, tackle complex challenges, and make a direct impact to business future. The engineering team handle smartly moving fast while dealing any technical debt with reasonable balance which help delivering true business value, feel rewarded quickly, and build a strong product on the long term. Despite being a public company, the standard is still at moving fast and do a lot with a little with a clear customer focus and amazing market innovation. It is a thrilling environment to grow in with a lot of talented people.

Cons

Work/Life balance may be hard at time, tho it's difficult to prevent when tackling complex and unique challenges.

Advice to Management

Keep it to your roots. Don't forget what makes the company a market leader. Keep a strong customer focus in your decision process. Anything else is just noise or fluff.

"Lots of talk, not a lot of substance."

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at TubeMogul full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice selection of yogurt and fruits in the kitchens. Office is mostly natural light. People are generally in a good and positive mood while their heads are buried in the sand.

Cons

Shamefully inefficient processes at most levels of infrastructure and engineering. Huge capital burn as a result, lots of frantic fire fighting on a daily basis. Dev teams are very out of touch with how production works and cross-team communication consists primarily of desk-walkup conversations instead of team meetings.

Org is obsessed with sprints while the staff is in the dark about long term project goals or overall purpose (aside from trying to profit in the short term). Feels like they're waiting for an IPO, except that already happened. Very flighty feel to the org... will they be around in five years? Culture is overly young and lacks experience working at scale; blissfully unaware.

Advice to Management

Plan for the long term. Don't base promotions on people simply sticking around for several years and then making them pseudo-authority figures when they lack real world experience. Stop maintaining the status-quo and invest time and money into proven architectures instead of whatever the mostly mid-level staff happen to be comfortable with.

Spend money on training people instead of waiting for miracles to happen. If you want people to take you seriously then spend more time addressing inefficiencies and less time planning redundant after work parties; and drinking on the job should not be acceptable or encouraged as a team event... it's seriously unprofessional during business hours.

"Built my career at TubeMogul"

Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I worked at TubeMogul full-time

Pros

The people, leadership, and culture! Everyday was an absolute pleasure to be surrounded by such incredibly talented, smart, and funny people. Working at TubeMogul is a special feeling, you are warmly embraced not only by your team/office, but by the whole company. I felt fully supported during my tenure, from my initial training until my exit.

The culture team in the NY office regularly set up events/activities celebrating milestones like new hires, end of quarter, anniversaries, birthday's, and even Bastille day! It's special and makes the office that much better!

TubeMoguls leadership team is driven to change the way media is bought, and it's inspiring work. You can't help but drink the kool-aid and feel like your a part of something amazing.

The product and vision are top notch. Definitely ahead of the curve and highly innovative. You have the opportunity to grow so much, and contribute outside of your role. Plan to work hard and give 100%. Know that if you do this - you are rewarded monetarily and with new experiences.

I appreciated and loved my experience at TubeMogul. I support the vision, leadership, product, and the team. Always will be rooting for them.

Cons

Need to continue building out the executive team so everyone has mentorship equally.

Advice to Management

Nurture your talent, and help map out career paths for your rockstars.

It can feel top heavy at times - ask questions and listen to your people, implement 360 reviews of management to avoid managers that are good at managing up and not down.

Keep innovating, and being transparent.

"Fast-Paced, Rewarding and Challenging Place to Work!"

Former Employee - Sales Director in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Director in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at TubeMogul full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Leadership: True leaders with vision who excite, motivate and challenge employees.
    Technology: Excellent software for branding that continues to keep up with and set the direction for some of the world’s biggest marketers.
    Integrations and partnerships: top notch integrations/partnerships with Facebook, Twitter and Snapchat. Leads the pack in social video.
    The Team: Lifelong friends who are smart, kind and dedicated to building greatness together.

Cons

A fast paced environment isn't for everyone, but if you want to be challenged, work hard and actually see your results, then this place is for you.