Tubular Labs Reviews

Scott Ernst
0 Rating
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great virtual experience so far

Apr 16, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

I started at Tubular labs during COVID-19 shut downs and have been pleasantly surprised by how smoothly the company is operating. I was unsure how an entirely virtual onboarding process would go, but it's been wonderful. I've worked for large (Fortune 25) companies that were not as streamlined as Tubular has been; they have a very formal, streamlined process with many tools and comprehension checkpoints. They have also done a good job at keeping the culture strong through events like trivia nights and cookie sampling. The company recognizes the challenges inherent with working from home, and their care for employees is apparent in terms of the resources available in terms of flexibility, expensing supplies, etc.

Cons

No cons, but to address a concern from another poster - Tubular is a company that measures performance across third-party platforms. To that extent, there is an element of product improvements, data, etc is out of their control; I've had no concerns about "shadiness," but have been pleasantly surprised that virtually all the household names in the media/internet industry really trust and rely on this platform, and it seems like those partnerships are just getting stronger. There have been some changes with senior leadership including a new CEO as of February 2020, and I feel strongly that the company has a great trajectory.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Wish I Never Joined

Dec 27, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Good benefits - Competitive Pay - Free Snacks - Unlimited PTO - Great if you're self motivated. NO ONE will hold your hand and tell you that you're doing a great job.

Cons

Overall I did not have a good experience at Tubular Labs. - Lousy onboarding. I was introduced to some new technologies when I started but never received any training or instructions, even when I asked. As a result, I was criticized for making mistakes. - No bonuses, except for employee referrals. - Extremely tight deadlines. Lunch time was spent eating at the desk, working. I never felt like I could take a breather. - Constant, time-wasting micro-management. Our team had to document all tasks and subtasks every week and how many hours we worked. We were not able to make any minor decisions about our project without management approval. And if it was not in line with what the manager's vision is, then forget about it. My manager would ask to check in after every single step of my project and will make comments and suggestions over and over again until you realize you have been through 10 revisions and a half hour conversation about whether to use the word "increase" or "rise". - Barely any racial diversity. - Pip Culture - The atmosphere is very casual however it seemed "off" and cliquey. I was told multiple times that Tubular Labs is not a place for introverted people like me. - The hiring process was unnecessarily long. I went through 7 steps for a low level position. One of those steps included a SQL test, though I did not even need to know SQL to perform my job.

6 people found this review helpful

Tubular Labs Response

VP of HR

First, I would like to thank you for sharing your review. While the majority of our employees have a pleasant experience, we understand that it is hard to get 100% Net Promoter Score. With that said, we take feedback to heart and our goal is to continue to learn and improve the employee experience. Hiring is a process refined over and over, and we learn from every new hire we make. Processes change and adapt. When new hires need more onboarding, we accommodate that need (once we learn about it) - in this case, we provided extensive onboarding, delivered not by one, but two managers. Additionally, we hired an external executive coach to help in two areas: receiving and providing feedback, and building alliances, so we can move forward with confidence. After a few months of giving our best try, we mutually agreed that this wasn’t the right fit. Tubular took full responsibility and instead of terminating the employment as a result of a failed PIP (performance improvement plan), we provided support and career coaching sessions to assist you in finding a new role that would be a much stronger fit and make you overall much happier. On your second point, we fully admit that our DEI (diversity, equity and inclusion) work is far from being completed. We are very open about our percentages with all our employees, and we are working hard to improve them. In 2020 we implemented a series of DEI inclusive leadership training programs, workshops, created a dedicated employee resource group to partner with HR on DEI goals, and to continue to challenge our current processes and policies. Currently we are happy to report that our Tubies speak more than 20 languages, and employee satisfaction measured in our October 2020 engagement survey was above 80% in terms of feelings of belonging and being accepted by leadership and immediate colleagues. Once again, thank you for your review. We wish you best of luck!

3. 4.0

Great work life balance

Mar 23, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great work life balance. Interesting problem to solve

Cons

Next step is a bit unclear

Be the first to find this review helpful
  4. 5.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Good People

Aug 19, 2020 - Office Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

I was let go because of the pandemic, but my time at Tubular was great. They are growth minded and let you take ownership of projects while providing proper support. It's a startup so everything happens quickly, but if you can keep up you will learn so much and work with amazing people.

Cons

There is often ambiguity around new tasks and processes, and it's a startup, so it's quite fast paced. You need to be flexible and comfortable defining processes as you go.

2 people found this review helpful
  5. 5.0

Amazing experience onboarding during COVID

May 14, 2020 - Business Operations Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

They were very transparent and honest during the interview process. They provided all the information I needed to understand the company priorities and actions taken to ensure stability during COVID. They were also really compassionate and kind, asking about my experience/how I was doing through the all the steps. Once were perfectly fine with me starting in a different place then where I'll ultimately work and mailed me all the supplies I needed. The hiring and onboarding experience reflects the culture I have found here: a company full of smart, kind, ownership driven individuals. I felt supported the whole way through and I'm so happy I've made the choice to join Tubular.

Cons

The company recently made changes to ensure stability during COVID - change is hard, but there is a lot of opportunity to be part of a very positive path forward.

6. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Very shady management and scary chaos

Oct 7, 2020 - Account Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

initially, it was a fun team to work with on the sales side

Cons

We were pushing a video audience product, but it got shut down for privacy reasons due to a Vice investigation - very scary. I didn't feel comfortable selling the product anymore, I didn't want to land myself in trouble. We were always worreid about things and you just can't sell or take of clients like that.

Tubular Labs Response

VP of HR

Thanks for taking time to leave this review and for your efforts whilst you were with us. We’re glad that you found the sales environment a fun one--we do our best to be a great place to work. That said, you raise some serious allegations about the company to which I feel compelled to respond. It’s true that the launch of our audience ratings product was delayed earlier this year. This was due to the fact that one of our data partners ceased operations following privacy concerns that were raised in the media. [I’d like to point out that the provider in question was highly regarded within the broader marketing technology and measurement industry and had many blue chip clients beyond Tubular as customers.] However, we worked closely with our customers whilst the product was being restored and the majority of them remain very satisfied with the way we handled an unexpected and difficult situation. We take integrity very seriously at Tubular--we’re a measurement company, after all, and our customers put their trust in us every day to reliably measure their social digital audiences. Your allegations are shocking to me because we have never, and will never, encourage our sales people or any of our employees to lie to our customers. If you felt that you were put in that position I sincerely hope you would have spoken with your manager as it goes against everything we stand for. Thanks again for your contributions to our past success and best wishes in your future endeavors.

7. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great people and company culture

Dec 7, 2019 - Senior CSM in Los Angeles, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Tubular has some of the greatest people I've ever worked with and genuinely strives to have a good company culture and invest in its people. While there, I also had a baby and their treatment of mothers and family support is unparalleled. The CEO and HR all prioritize a good work/life balance and it showed.

Cons

There are typical growth issues such as lack of resourcing, and having to wear multiple hats, but that's not necessarily bad if you're used to start-up culture.

8. 5.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Amazing place to work

Dec 6, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

1. Leadership - Everyone on the executive team is brilliant, and they have a strong, clear vision for the company. They are also extremely kind and humble - I've never heard of executives being as nice as Tubular's. I always felt comfortable going straight to the CEO or anyone else on the executive team about changes I felt should be made in the company, and they were always receptive and made sure to address my concerns. 2. Product - The social video space is also growing rapidly, and Tubular is at the center of it all. The software is awesome, and every big publisher uses it. The clients see Tubular as true experts in social video, and it always felt like they treated Tubular as a partner rather than a vendor, which I think is rare at a tech startup. 3. People - Tubular is full of extremely smart, hard-working people. Every person is amazing at their job and so easy to work with. The company also doesn't feel very hierarchical. There are managers and directors, but everyone's voice gets heard regardless of their position at the company. 4. Career growth - Tubular is great about having performance reviews every 6 months and anyone who deserves to be promoted gets a promotion. 5. Amazing benefits!!

Cons

I think the hiring process could be a little more proactive rather than reactive. It seems like a new role only opens up when a team gets overloaded with work.

3 people found this review helpful
  9. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

World-class engineering talent firing on all cylinders

May 20, 2019 - Senior Engineering Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Tubular is home to some the strongest engineering individual contributors in the Silicon Valley, in my experience. The average Tubular engineer would be considered an "A" player at most other companies. What sets them apart (beyond pure technical acumen) is their commitment and focus on bringing value to their customers along with a total lack of ego. It's brings me a great deal of joy to be able to work shoulder-to-shoulder with these folks.

Cons

The bar is very high when it comes to hiring. It's not enough to be a "good" engineer and a "decent" cultural fit. Expectations are that you're basically a superstar (or rising star) and expert in your domain.

3 people found this review helpful
  10. 5.0

Smart, Innovative Team & Great Product

Feb 7, 2019 - Senior Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Very exciting space to be in: digital, social, video, software. Accessible, friendly and extremely experienced leadership Tubular provides solutions that are truly valuable to our customers. Exceptional support team and training for a start-up. Excellent communication across the company. Great perks and opportunities. No politics. No a**holes; just smart, helpful and driven employees.

Cons

A lot of internal meetings and team building events can cause you to work extra hours to get your job done (the team building events are really fun, btw) For a startup, too much process which can hinder progress.

2 people found this review helpful