Tucson Unified School District Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dr. H.T. Sánchez

Pros
  • We use data to drive instruction and are given plenty of excellent professional development to support this (in 4 reviews)

• Time off, *some* of the students, knowing you're making a difference to *some* kids (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, little respect for teachers (in 3 reviews)

• If you don't work 10 hours a day, you're an "ineffective" teacher; yet, students come in late every single day with no consequences (in 2 reviews)

1. "TUSD review"

Former Employee - Music Teacher in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Music Teacher in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Tucson Unified School District (More than a year)

Pros

The teachers, administration, and staff are some of the most dedicated that I've ever seen.

Cons

Huge district, little budget. A lot of schools have closed and classroom sizes have grown. Transient district with students being able to move freely from one school to another at any point in time during the year; stable classrooms difficult to come by.

2. "Mixed Bag"

Current Employee - Administrative in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Administrative in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Tucson Unified School District full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Consistent Hours, good people to work with

Cons

Lack of Communication, inconsistent training, Resource and Technology issues

Advice to Management

Invest in Technology and pay Technology properly to get the outcomes that are desired

3. "Teacher"

Current Employee - Teacher in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Teacher in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Tucson Unified School District full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The kids are great and make it worth while. Hours

Cons

Lacking tools to do job effectively

Advice to Management

Budget more creatively

5. "MS Teacher"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Tucson Unified School District full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Some very good schools here.

Cons

Very large district. Poor discipline and management plan.

6. "It's a Crap Shoot"

Current Employee - Library Assistant in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Library Assistant in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Tucson Unified School District part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Helping kids. Diverse population. Many nice colleagues. Benefits start at 20 hours.

Cons

HR regularly ignores best interests of employees. Even worse, they ignore the law. The pay. The qulaity of your direct supervisor can make a lot a worse (or better, presumably).

7. "Excellent place to grow"

Current Employee - Career & Technical Education Specialist in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Career & Technical Education Specialist in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Tucson Unified School District full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Many different departments, many different environments. Something for every working need.

Cons

Not all departments a year round. Teachers in Tucson are still not paid as much as they should be, and definatley not as much as they deserve.

Advice to Management

None.

8. "Ex Ed Teaching Asst."

Current Employee - EX ED Teahing Assistant in New Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - EX ED Teahing Assistant in New Tucson, AZ

Pros

The hours, and days off are great at schools. The teachers are very nice to work with, and kids are always wonderful. You get a hug every day!

Cons

The hours aren't enough. Although 30 hours is considered full time, I need 40 hours per week. There is no school for 10 weeks of the summer, and so no pay. Schools are terribly underfunded, and TAs don't start out at much, and raises are scant. I have been with the district 12 years, and I went from 9.65 per hour to 12.65 per hour. Not Great!

Advice to Management

To TUSD board, etc... Teachers wages are so low, and they are doing some of the most important work for the future of our country. Teaching it's inhabitants... TAs are paid meager wages.

9. "An Alright Temporary Part Time Job"

Current Employee - Community Education Activity Helper in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Community Education Activity Helper in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Tucson Unified School District part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you like working with kids, it's a lot of fun. The hours are very flexible and it's a comfortable work environment. It allows me to be myself around the kids and be the best influence I can for them. Working with kids has both opened my mind towards working in general, as I previously thought I wouldn't be good with kids, and given me experience in working with various age groups, from kindergarten children to adults.

Cons

Being that my job isn't seen as essential to the district, I haven't really received an opportunity for a raise, and I know other people have had to work a long time(1yr+) doing what I do to get a pay raise. I have had this job for about 7 months and I've had multiple issues with payroll. I do this because I like it, but at the end of the day, it is a job, and I expect to be paid for what I'm doing just as promptly as I'm expected to provide my service.

"Secondary School Administrator"

Former Employee - School Administrator in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - School Administrator in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Tucson Unified School District full-time

Pros

Terrific, hard-working staff members and wonderful students.

Cons

A long-standing spirit and record of dysfunction at the district level, including the governing board and district level leadership.

Advice to Management

Honest, I'd recommend taking a position at less money at a surrounding district.

11. "Administrative Office Assistant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

Pros

Work hours: M-F; weekends off. Opportunity to learn how school administration functions.

Cons

No salary increases for several years; budget cuts every year; job future uncertainty due to budget cuts. No advancement opportunities.

Advice to Management

Recognize your support staff for their contributions and offer incentives to remain with the district, despite the fact that salary increases are non-existent.