Tukaiz Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "A Shining Star"

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Tukaiz full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Innovative company with a great culture. High profile clients, invests in technology and treat employees with respect. Collaborative and fun place to be part of.

Cons

Commute from city isn't always easy.

Advice to Management

Keep encouraging employees like you have been.

2. "Average"

Former Employee - Manager In Training in Franklin Park, IL
    Former Employee - Manager In Training in Franklin Park, IL

I worked at Tukaiz full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Paid holidays and steady work and not to much overtime. Health Insurance is decent. Good fellow workers and hood teamwork.

Cons

Treat employees rudely. Management takes advice as a attack on their experience instead of thinking about things from a different perspective.

Advice to Management

Treat people with respect.

"Run away!"

Former Employee - Applications Developer in Franklin Park, IL
    Former Employee - Applications Developer in Franklin Park, IL

I worked at Tukaiz full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There must be at least 5 words for pros, unfortunately I can't think of any pros from my time served.

Cons

Make sure you get everything in writing, don't trust them at their word. Even when you do get something in writing read it VERY carefully. I also had them switch out my offer letter because there was a 'mistake' on the copy they had sent me. The only problem was that the mistake was in my favor and I didn't catch it until months later. Normally I would not attribute this to malice, however it is one example of many of how little the senior management values it employees.

When I started all developers (and later I learned only developers) received quarterly bonuses. This was a way to keep developers while paying them below market rates. It was decided that they were going to eliminate the bonuses and adjust the base salary to compensate. However since this change was happening the month before I was eligible to receive my salary wasn't adjusted. Even though my offer letter spelled out that I would receive bonuses. Without the bonus structure I was paid below market, if I had received 50% of my bonus pool I would have been at market. The average bonus paid to developers was 50% of their pool. Some received lower, the favored received much more. Patronage and favoritism was rampant and apparent.

Developers are treated as commodity resources. When I started the Retina MacBook Pro and the previous MacBook Pro were both available. I had to fight to get the Retina, and when I finally did get it, it was the minimum spec'd 15". At the time it was extra to go to upgrade to 16GB RAM and of course they weren't going to do that.

My only regret is that I took the job in the first place.

Advice to Management

You claim are a digital content company, your developer and creative teams are what get you business and what keep you getting more business, Without them you are just another printing company, Treat them like the valued resource that they are. If you want to know the value of the development team then think about how much money you would lose if the web servers were down for 3 days. How many customers would you still have?

"Account Manager"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Franklin Park, IL
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Franklin Park, IL

Pros

Designers are very talented.
    Building is a very neat work environment.
    Equipment is great quality.
    One of the design managers is great to work for.

Cons

There is nowhere to increase salary at this company, so if you aren't happy with what you sign on with use it as a stepping stone to gain experience. One of the managers was extremely disrespectful and unpleasant to work for as I have never had any issues working under any of my other employers and he made my life miserable. Company is family owned so the entire family works for the company.

Advice to Management

Consider replacing disrespectful staff that takes away from the culture here.

"I'd rather be a Greeter at Walmart!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Franklin Park, IL

I worked at Tukaiz full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are none, unless you're related to the owner. After working there I was seriously questioning my career decision. Thankfully, this was just the worst example of what the industry had to offer.

Cons

Cons a plenty! A modern day sweat shop. First, the management doe not see any value in their employees. The pay is mediocre at best, and don't expect a raise. The thought from management is "You should be thankful to work for such a great company, in fact, you should pay us to work here." There is also plenty of intimidation subtle and not so. Avoid this place like an STD.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with the respect that you are not afraid of commanding. Remember they are the one's who are generating the revenue. if not you could sell cannoli and everyone would be happy.

"Cordinator"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Franklin Park, IL

I worked at Tukaiz full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pros

Tukaiz is one of those places where there's lots of room for organic growth in career and learning for starters (which can be both good and bad). The good side to this is that if you have a ton's of idea you can try it and make it better without a fear, most managers aren't going to get upset about being bypassed and will appreciate your efforts.There are a lot of people who have been here for many years, most of which have a lot of experience they're happy to pass along to help mentor younger / less-experienced people.

Cons

Pay. Working here in agile environment but don't expect too much in to salary or benefit (bit bellow average then you worth in a market)

Advice to Management

Find out a way to get your salaries closer to what someone could get somewhere else. Reward the people who do good work rather than assume they can be replaced if they leave.

"Great Place to Grow Your Skills"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Franklin Park, IL

Pros

Tukaiz is one of those places where your job is what you make of it. There's lots of room for improvement in just about any department (which can be both good and bad). The good side to this is that if you see a way to make things better, there's not the red-tape that a bigger company might have, so if you see an opportunity and take it, most managers aren't going to get upset about being bypassed and will appreciate your efforts. If you want to make this place better, you are, for the most part, empowered to do so.

The people in the trenches really make the place what it is. Most people here take great pride in their work and truly want to deliver something that makes a customer happy. It's not always easy with some of the deadlines, but most people try their best.

Cons

Pay. Working here isn't going to make anyone rich. Many people come here to get the experience they need to move to another company after a year or two and get the raise that they should have gotten here.

"A sinking ship"

Former Employee - Front End Developer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Front End Developer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Tukaiz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you work here you have a job? Thats about the only pro.

Cons

They are technically deficient in handling and managing employees that are for all intents and purposes, smarter than them. They do not put faith in their engineers, the over manage and micro-manage and if you're joining their development staff they have a monolithic platform application that has now been officially deprecated with the retirement of REE 1.8.7. Best advice? Stay the hell away and use the afternoon you were going to interview to go do something for yourself instead.

Advice to Management

There is no advice you can give a sinking ship to keep it from sinking. Oh, also, if one of your employees tries to commit suicide -- DONT FIRE THEM HELP THEM.

"The worst"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Franklin Park, IL

I worked at Tukaiz full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The paycheck hasn't bounced. Anyone NOT in management is very nice and pleasant to work with.

Cons

Constant pay cuts, lay offs, poor poor poor upper management. Owner's have huge egos and do not care about their workers. They scream at people constantly when they should be looking at upper management for a failing company. They will be nice to you one day and then laid off the next because you looked at them wrong.

Advice to Management

Lose your egos and take care of your people! Don't hire unqualified managers who make huge mistakes on their job.

"To sum it up, the WORST company I have ever worked for. Run, run far way from here..."

Current Employee - Operations in Franklin Park, IL
    Current Employee - Operations in Franklin Park, IL

I have been working at Tukaiz full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The meager paycheck hasn't bounced when cashed. Other than that, I can't add anything "Pro" about working here. Look elsewhere, anywhere before accepting a position with this company. They'll promise you everything, tell you what you want to hear, then deliver a totally different experience. Ask any current or the MANY former employees about this. So many people, younger and older, have taken positions here, only to bolt to another company after a short period. The writing on the wall becomes clear immediately.

Cons

1. PAY - start low, stay low. Reviews and raises are non-existent. Employees that have 5+ years of service still making the same pay as the day they started. Salaried employees are overworked, hourly employees are told that overtime work and pay will make up for low pay rate (work more and you'll make more). You're theirs 24 hrs a day, seven days a week.
    2. Owners/partners - arrogant, egotistical, non-involvement in actual goings-on within the company. You're lucky to be working for their company. Right...
    3. Operations management - clueless, arrogant, idiotic. Disorganization runs rampant. They're lucky they have somewhat competent employees actually working and making things go right. If it was left up to them, this place would collapse in on itself. They talk down to anyone who's not at their level. Again, you're lucky to be working for the company.
    4. Workplace - a JOKE. Dangerous, disorganized, no processes or procedures to follow. Little regard is given to employee safety, comfort or well-being. Every day is by the seat of your pants. When an employee gives their notice, nothing is done to try and have that employee stay; "We didn't need them anyway" is the mindset. Even though that employee is a valuable asset to their respective department. Not that anyone should want to stay working here.

Advice to Management

Firstly, get some management people that actually know what they're doing. The current Ops Manager doesn't have a clue. Start appreciating the people that come to work every day for you and make this company run. They go above and beyond to make sure the customers are taken care of on a daily basis. No recognition is given for a job well done, but when one minor things goes awry, the hammer comes down. You give absolutely NO incentive to employees to want to come here every day and do their job. It's not rocket science...