Tulane University Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Michael Fitts

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Little to no opportunity for advancement/very hierarchal system (in 10 reviews)

• New Orleans has a high crime rate so one should be cautious walking alone at night (in 14 reviews)

1. "N/a"

Pros

Many opportunities for professional growth through conferences.

Cons

Little to no opportunity for advancement/very hierarchal system.

2. "Field Technician"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Tulane University (More than a year)

Pros

Good way to see different parts of the city. Grad Students are pretty cool and you can learn a lot from them.

Cons

Pay is horrible. I earned a Louisiana minimum wage (which is garbage) for doing really rigorous fieldwork for 8 hours a day.

Advice to Management

If you charge $60,000 a person to come to your school, an extra dollar or two would be nice.

3. "Program Coordinator"

Former Employee - Program Coordinator in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Program Coordinator in New Orleans, LA

Pros

Safe environment considering the New Orleans crime rate.

Cons

Minimum salary even with years of experience and degree.

4. "Sales Consultant"

I worked at Tulane University full-time

Pros

Great Stepping stone for sales

Cons

Long hours of volunteering. If you don't volunteer your time, you won't move up. Ex: Working from 8:30-5:30 then working a basketball game until 9-10 trying to hassle fans to buy more tickets. Also its all about the experience

Advice to Management

Pay more money to the employers. Don't try flexing out the hours because it never works as planned. Frowned upon if flexing all hours out.

5. "Satisfaction depends on school/unit and leadership"

Pros

Here are the only pros I can think of: 16 paid holidays; tuition reimbursement; and reasonably fair vacation and personal/sick time compensation.

Also, I actually like the work that I perform, and I have more than 20 years experience doing it and growing in the field (web/social media).

I love some of my coworkers -- good people, good friends.

So there's the up side.

Cons

My particular school is suffering from tyrannical, top-down, suspicious and/or utterly hands-off leadership. There is no trust in top level employees to do the job they are hired to do. There is no room for creativity. There is no collaboration. Communication is atrocious coming from leadership downward. Expectations are high yet not clearly communicated. Leadership is out of touch with modern trends in web and social media uses.

The pay is sad, demoralizing, and depressing. My particular role receives approximately 25-30% more in other schools and units within university. My salary is also well below the local median for what I do. There is a belief here that you just click the mouse a few times, and Poof! You have a website.

Double standards also rule the day here. For an organization that discourages working from home, we have a FTE who lives in another state. Another example would be that a particular employee is known to brazenly make an exodus early anytime there is a local festival (and that is every week basically) because this person shares it on their facebook page. This person also comes in late, passes the buck whenever possible, and basically does a little as possible and at the lowest acceptable level of achievement. Leadership has actually set in meetings and talked about what a poor employee this person is, and yet they still have a high-paying job. But other people work hard, do everything asked of them, seldom skip out early, and perform to a more than satisfactory level and are treated poorly for reasons that are unclear...other than being assertive and trying to offer guidance on matters in which they have experience.

Advice to Management

Trust your employees to do the jobs you assign to them. Quit trying to control every thing. Do YOUR job and let us do ours. AND for the love of, pay fair wages.

Also, never, ever try to commiserate with employees frustrations. You have NO idea what it feels like be on the receiving end of things and making well under a fair salary for the work we do. Six figure salary earners do not get the luxury of saying they understand our struggles.

6. "Does not Compensate for Longer Term Employees"

Current Employee - Medical Research Technician in Covington, LA
    Current Employee - Medical Research Technician in Covington, LA

I have been working at Tulane University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Tulane Primate Center easy access to all buildings and parking
    Interesting Research and ability depending on PI to author published papers
    Coworkers are generally helpful and kind

Cons

Worked at the center for over three years at a certain salary. New hires starting pay higher than mine
    Senior management takes too long filling out paperwork for technicians to get salary promotions

Advice to Management

Start treating current employees better by keeping up with competitive salaries. The culture right now breeds animosity towards higher management.

7. "Linux System Administrator"

Current Employee - Linux Systems Administrator
    Current Employee - Linux Systems Administrator

Pros

Work Life Balance, Central Location in New Orleans, Large Budget For Technology

Cons

Lack of investment in human capital: low salary, routine cuts to benefits, layoffs correspond with more responsibilities for existing staff

Advice to Management

With over a billion in endowment there's no justification for your race to the bottom

8. "Program manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA

Pros

Education atmosphere, nice campus, winter recess, access to school

Cons

Little vacation, non efficient place with no concept of team, waste if resources

Advice to Management

More benefits like flexible work from home

9. "Program Coordinator"

Pros

The company has great benefits

Cons

The company has poor communication from Human Resources

"Go to another university"

I have been working at Tulane University (More than 5 years)

Pros

Caring colleagues, wonderful students, beautiful campus

Cons

Upper administration brought in a consulting group which expects increased services without an increase in resources or staffing. Morale is low.

Advice to Management

Walk the walk