Tumblr Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 28, 2017

5.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
David Karp

1. "Intern - great experience"

Former Intern - Intern - Hourly in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Intern - Hourly in New York, NY

I worked at Tumblr as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work environment, supportive staff, catered lunches, beautifully designed floors/roof, career mobility seemed evident; overall a fantastic & memorable experience

Cons

Integration of sales team with yahoo diminished attractiveness of roles, many great employees chose to leave, fewer opportunities available for non-engineers / non-marketing/pr

Advice to Management

Loved my experience and would definitely recommend to more college students; continue to foster the existing positive atmosphere

"I thought it was too good to be true"

I have been working at Tumblr full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Tumblr is not a new company, and yes it is owned by Yahoo (now for 3 years), so given that information I expected too see downsides I have experience at other large-ish companies with "corporate" taking over... THIS IS NOT THE CASE AT TUMBLR! Maybe it's not for everyone but I think this has got to be in the top 5 if not best tech company to work for in NY.
    The CEO David Karp, who founded Tumblr almost 10 years ago, still runs things and engages HIGHLY with what is going on. He cares passionately about the platform and the users, "keeping it real".
    The new CTO Brian Murphy is an amazing addition as well. Super engaged with what is going on in tech, a very smart individual who is also friendly and treats engineers as equals. It's very refreshing to be part of a company with these kind of leaders.
    Unlike a lot of other companies this large, the engineers have much freedom to make their own technical decisions and move forward with it -- as long as you present a plan with evidence, pros & cons to back it up. A very collaborative environment.

Other perks: Awesome facilities, plenty of high quality drinks & snacks, (the coffee is top notch) and there are always activities happening. Very diverse staff from all backgrounds and walks of life.

No one is pressured to work crazy hours, it's mostly up to you meeting your project goals.

Cons

(Con if you are working in the PHP code: ) PHP code base... if you are a PHP master and know how to use it right, you will love it here, as there are some very bright individuals striving for engineering quality and greatness on this legacy code. However if you have never touched PHP or are a beginner, you may not enjoy it as much.

Shaky future, ownership wise -- As you have read in the news, some companies have put in bids for Yahoo. It's not clear what this means for Tumblr, but figured I would mention it as it might scare some people. Tumblr itself will always be around though, maintaining a powerful place in today's internet culture.

Advice to Management

Keep it up

3. "Great Work Environment"

Former Employee - User Support Specialist in New York, NY
    Former Employee - User Support Specialist in New York, NY

I worked at Tumblr full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work environment was open (as in no cubicles) and your coworkers and managers trusted you without micro-managing you. There were also free lunches and awesome social events where you could connect to other people in the company. Overall, it was a very positive experience.

Cons

There was not much room for advancement in the Trust & Safety or Support teams.

"The bee's knees"

Current Employee - Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Tumblr full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fine intellectual quality
    Excellent product chops
    Extreme concentration on flexible responsibility
    Beautiful office space
    Top-notch benefits and resources

Cons

Some friction and tension with parent company
    Unclear the future of social media, but positioned to be a force in it nonetheless

Advice to Management

Keep bringing on smart people, push for a return to innovation even at the expense of headlong growth, and keep the culture solid.

6. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - SRE: Operations Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - SRE: Operations Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Tumblr full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of work to do, never bored

Cons

I dunno, lots of work to do? I suppose that's bad if you just want to chill

7. "Challenging Work, Great People, and Incredible Culture."

Former Intern - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Tumblr as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

As an intern, I worked on customer and user facing products, and worked on multiple enhancements to the platform. I would highly recommend working at Tumblr; it's a welcoming environment that challenges their employees with difficult problems. What you put into the internship is what you'll get out of it, and you are working on projects that matter to millions of people.

Cons

I didn't find any major issues at the company. Occasionally, there were downtimes where I wasn't working on a project and didn't quite know what to do, other than that I have no complaints. Extremely positive experience.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, keep things organized and most importantly, never forget the culture that makes Tumblr special. Potentially be more data driven when making decisions.

"Best work experience !"

I have been working at Tumblr full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to work, smart people to share ideas with, managers listen and give you opportunities to learn new languages, you can bootcamp with other teams like Ios and android if you are interested.
    Amazing office, roof top, ground floor with lunch and breakfast, free food
    always something is happening either band playing , movie night , game night, hack day etc...

Cons

cannot say much , the only thing maybe is that there is maybe too many shift due to the turn over of people leaving and coming. so people are often asking to switch team. but this is not even a downside since you got to learn and work with other people.

"Really wonderful place to work"

Current Employee - Product Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Product Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Tumblr full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing culture, very flexible with work/life stuff, catered food, great perks, not at all overly micromanaged

Cons

Hard to say much here, honestly. It seems like there might be some friction trying to "climb the ladder," but probably no more than any other company.

Advice to Management

Keep on keepin' on, because you guys are doing a fantastic job.

"Great place to work"

I have been working at Tumblr full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Tumblr is a great company to work for. Passionate employees, exciting projects, great work environment and a good work-life balance. A good compromise between big company benefits and small company passion. Working on a popular website is always a great bonus, and Tumblr is not only popular, it's fun and creative. The offices are growing and the company is spending a lot of time and resources making the new spaces comfortable.

Cons

Career path is an issue for a lot of people. The company is growing fast and trying to maintain the start-up vibe is not always possible.

"Great place to make an impact"

I have been working at Tumblr full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are amazing, great coworkers, really fun environment with lots of office events. Beyond that, it's a great place to develop your career. With small teams, you get the chance to work on things you wouldn't get to do at bigger more established companies. If you're someone who wants to make a difference and grow personally, it's a great environment.

Cons

Definitely has growing pains. Systems and processes aren't the best, but it's understandable given how fast the staff has increased and business has grown.