Tunnell Consulting Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Maryann Gallivan

1. "Collaborative and Optimistic Environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in King of Prussia, PA

I have been working at Tunnell Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The current leadership team at Tunnell is committed to building an organizational culture of collaboration, empowerment, open communication, and FORWARD progress. In the past few months, I have noticed a huge increase in employee engagement across all sectors of the business that I believe is a direct result of several positive changes at the top. It is definitely an exciting time to be a part of a quickly changing company.

Cons

2016 has been a year of change for Tunnell. With great change, comes hard work, additional resources, and available time that may be harder to come by for a small company. Because Tunnell’s first priority is always the customer, necessary change at home may be put on the back burner or sometimes happen slower than anticipated. However, I believe that with focus and dedication by our leadership and employees, brighter days are just around the corner for Tunnell!

Advice to Management

Tunnell has been able to attract some of the most knowledgeable and impressive talent in the industry. To keep employees happy (and staying at Tunnell), keep on encouraging professional growth and development at all levels.

2. "A positive work environment in a technically challenging field"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Tunnell Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As a current employee on the Government Services side of the company, I've witnessed a steady improvement in management practices and strategy. Though some of the comments in other posts identify challenges, those were due to a management team that is no longer in place at Tunnell.

Cons

Similar to many other government contractors, delays and difficulties in government actions can impact our ability to deliver. This is not uncommon though.

Advice to Management

Continue on the upward trend in terms of process and cultural improvement.

3. "Extremely Positive Changes at Tunnell !"

I have been working at Tunnell Consulting full-time

Pros

Tunnell has gone through a tremendous change over the past 6 months. Ever since the "Old" leadership team was replaced with our "Current" leadership team, the atmosphere and culture has completely turned around for the better. The new leadership team is willing to listen, open to suggestions, open to constructive criticism, and they actually act like Leaders! They've brought about a new way of thinking at Tunnell that is truly refreshing! But most importantly, they treat us with dignity and respect. It feels like a completely different company! I feel like we've turned a corner and our future is bright!

Cons

The only "Con" I can really think of is that it's going to take a little more time to fully undo the damage that was done to Tunnell by the Old Leadership team. However, as I already stated above, that process is well under way!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

"Stagnant Company due to Old School ways"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in King of Prussia, PA

I worked at Tunnell Consulting (More than 8 years)

Pros

Somewhat flexible work schedules, and able to work from home sometime. Benefits are good but not great. Competitive and decent salary structure.

Cons

Bad work environment/culture. Upper management has tried for years to change the culture within the company, but they are so behind the times and set in their ways that they do not want to listen to employee ideas that will make the company better, they choose to do the "same old" "same old" and it is reflected in their low sales. This company hires a lot of 1099's (independent contractors), and there is a high turnover in the actual employees that they do hire. Office staff works hard to make the company a success, but they are never listened to. There are different rules for different people within the organization, and no one is held accountable.

Advice to Management

Needs a new leader at the top.

5. "Incompetent Leadership"

Former Employee - N/A in King of Prussia, PA
    Former Employee - N/A in King of Prussia, PA

I worked at Tunnell Consulting full-time

Pros

Inflated salaries, long company history.

Cons

Where to start...For one, Leaders are extremely overpaid for not delivering. The company culture is horrible. The company is run by leaders who aren't business-minded. Sales are lacking and have been for many years now. The Board needs to step in and take control of this company ASAP, the CEO's lack of decision making and holding his Sr. Leaders accountable has run Tunnell into the ground. The company needs a serious makeover or it's ESOP holders are going to end up with nothing.

Advice to Management

Retire! You are all overpaid for not delivering. You need to hire true sales people and incentivize them, rather than paying them ridiculous base salaries, and then not holding them accountable for not selling. It's really quite simple.

"Corporate Culture and Lucrative Bonuses"

Former Employee - Account Principal in King of Prussia, PA

I worked at Tunnell Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are talented and smart subject matter experts. Consultants are customer focused and good capable people. Consultants do a wonderful job in solving customer problems. They have a good consulting product. Benefits are reasonably good. HR likes to celebrate everyone's birthday, and that is nice. The ESOP is a good idea if managed with equality in mind. There have been good Six Sigma projects and talent in their past.

Cons

The management system is a toxic culture. I have seen nice consultants transformed into Mr. Hyde after a year at Tunnell. Fun and good spirits are sacrificed by micro-management and critical comments. The bonus structure does not reward the industrious consultants who landed and worked the jobs. The Executive Committee always, always reward themselves with bonuses while the workers go without. Although there are good ideas at external projects none of these employee ideas ever penetrate the executive wall. Board members' ideas do not reflect the ideas, philosophies, and concerns of the employees.

Advice to Management

The business model is definitely flawed. Have annual reports that clearly show all financials, and have democratic elections for Board members just like a publicly traded corporation. Put your ego aside and listen to your employees. The overly critical culture goes all the way to the top. Get out of the weeds and open your eyes to a fair reward based culture. It's simple, just use the Golden Rule and people will like you.

"Nobody listens"

Current Employee - Support Staff in King of Prussia, PA
    Current Employee - Support Staff in King of Prussia, PA

Pros

Good pay and healthcare benefits

Cons

No one on the management team listens to everyone. They all think they know everyone's job better than the people actually doing the job. They are too far away from situations to know how their decisions will affect people, their families, or their lives (at work or outside of work).

Horrible culture

Advice to Management

Leave us do our jobs

"Principal"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in King of Prussia, PA

I worked at Tunnell Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very focused on providing life science businesses with operational and technical support. Tunnell has produced value for their clients.

Cons

The delivery capability is weak and not sustainable. Most projects are staffed with independent contractors. The sales people are directed to tell the client we can do anything for them even if Tunnell doesn't have the experience or expertise.

Advice to Management

Senior leadership needs to learn to be less paranoid, critical, and divisive. Please address the fact that people are not happy and Tunnell has a huge turnover problem.

"Company needs a lot of help"

Former Employee - Account Principal in King of Prussia, PA

I worked at Tunnell Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people, outside of management are great to work with. Good benefits.

Cons

Slow to make decisions. Antiquated views and policies. Management treats employees poorly.

Advice to Management

Use the talent that you have. Stop rewarding bad behavior.

"managing consultant in Tunnell"

Current Employee - Managing Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Managing Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Tunnell Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The managers always tell you the positive comments as if everybody likes you.

Cons

Actually, it is not true. The managers play only political games. They do not value your hard work and achievement. They want only business done.

Advice to Management

change management team