Turbine Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 81 reviews

3.4
Tom Casey
Pros
Cons
  • "Most of the new titles, especially mobile, are all just clones of existing games with little to no real innovation(in 4 reviews)

• "Watching very talented people let go during layoffs(in 4 reviews)

1. "New Office, New Vision"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Needham, MA

I have been working at Turbine full-time

Pros

Work life balance, snacks, cold brew, magic the gathering league, successful games

Cons

Team Drama, Pay to Win Games

Turbine2019-05-09
  2. "Not a bad place to work for your first time into the video game industry"

I worked at Turbine full-time

Pros

-WB has amazing benefits for their employees -Everyone is friendly and easy to approach -Plenty of after work activities, clubs, and the occasional game day -Growth if you're interested in being a developer.

Cons

-Their game is an embarrassing mess that uses malicious tactics to target players "whales" with addictive personalities. -The Customer Service area and the developers are way too separated. The developers refuse to listen to CS. -Some people are too comfortable (i.e. people walking around without shoes on). -No growth at all if you want to do something other than develop the game (i.e. write for games, go into PR,...

Advice to Management

Improve communication across the different departments.

Turbine2018-10-21
  3. "A great company to work for, but not for too long"

I have been working at Turbine full-time

Pros

- Great people - Fantastic benefits - You're working for Warner Brothers! - Fun work events - WB specific benefits (access to movies the day before release, 4 times a year)

Cons

- Not much potential for job growth - Innovation has been severely stunted at Turbine - Inter-departmental communication leaves something to be desired - WB Corporate is heavy-handed at times, cramming the game into already-well established pigeonhole genres

Turbine2017-10-05
  4. "Product Manager"

I have been working at Turbine full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

Working with gamers Competitive salary Flexible schedule and good benefits

Cons

Management is poor and fractured

Advice to Management

Protect our leadership from WBs control Protect our leadership from internal ankle-biters

Turbine2017-06-01
  5. "DBA"

Former Employee - Senior Database Administrator in Needham, MA

I worked at Turbine full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

A lot of great technology though it was starting to get dated. Fun People in a lot of the groups. Beautiful workspace

Cons

Management, Management, Management. The former CEO and his underlings was a disaster. He has since got quit.

Turbine2017-01-19
  6. "Identity Crisis"

I worked at Turbine full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

Games - laid back environment, great vacation, 401k, some cool employee perks, lots of friendships made.

Cons

When I started we were an MMO, then we wanted to get into console, then we scrapped console because we didn't have the right model so we moved to eSports trying to recreate what LoL had already done, that was not successful so we moved toward mobile and now we are ditching MMOs.

Advice to Management

Hire seasoned professionals that understand scale and trends in the market. We are using the same IP over and over again and copying models from games that have already had success. Mobile shouldn't take as long to do as we are taking. We are missing out for being slow to make decisions.

Turbine2017-01-17
  7. "A good place to work with a lot of potential, and some frustrating practices"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Boston, MA

I have been working at Turbine full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

Great environment, with a lot of creative minds and opportunities for pursuing interests within the Game Industry.

Cons

There aren't a lot, but the few issues stand out. It can be difficult to navigate your career due to a lack of a commercial success since the MMO days, and too many poor judgement calls from previous management have made the company feel like a sinking ship. The corporate entity of WB Games can feel too distant and will make decisions for us that aren't in the best interest of company and individual growth. The studio...

Advice to Management

I believe that we need to take more risks in future game development. WB is known to follow trends in industry instead of creating them. It would be nice to focus on innovation for a change!

Turbine2016-12-02
  8. "Accountability + Flexability = wild wild west"

I worked at Turbine full-time

Pros

Get paid to do the minimal amount of work Take advantage of perks like business travel and expense it on the company

Cons

there is little to no accountability and there is so much flexibility that nothing can ever be done, on time, on budget, on scale. its all a mess, there is no real planning other than vacations.

Advice to Management

lay off all those who don't put in effort to make Turbine a good company and get rid of the garbage, its brings down everyone else.

Turbine2016-12-03

"Slow and bloated, but hopeful."

Former Employee - Artist in Needham, MA

I worked at Turbine full-time for more than 9 years

Pros

Turbine is a collection of very talented, thoughtful individuals. Some of the best people in my life I met there over the better part of a decade. There have been recent drastic changes in management, flushing out a lot of problematic leaders who were contributing to the issues I outline in the "cons" section- I genuinely hope it leads to success.

Cons

They tend to make the same mistakes over and over again, even going so far as to prop up the same people who failed and allowing them to fail again in the exact same way. Their team sizes are far too large, particularly for a mobile game company, which costs them the ability to respond to respond to things like user testing or a change in direction from the parent company. Lastly, the approach to making games recently...

Advice to Management

Keep burning the fat. Get rid of problematic individuals, or repurpose them. Consider more original game ideas than ripping off whatever the successful mobile title is of the day and then expecting it to make the same kind of bank a year later.

Turbine2016-10-04
  10. "Great while it lasted"

I worked at Turbine full-time

Pros

The team I worked with were smart and dedicated.

Cons

Management ran the company to the ground with poor decisions.

Advice to Management

Make better decisions.

Turbine2016-09-05