Turbonomic Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Turbonomic CEO J. Benjamin Nye
J. Benjamin Nye

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Experienced management team that has been there before (in 9 reviews)

• Easy to work long hours because it is such a sociable place with ping pong, pool unlimited supply of food and drink plus beers on Fridays (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes the long hours can be a challenge to deal with but as long as you have an end-goal in mind it's not a big deal (in 23 reviews)

• Work/Life Balance - I guess can be a con but really it is up to me how much I work (in 10 reviews)

1. "Fun, Challenging, Rewarding"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Turbonomic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Game changing technology, A players, ability to make an impact, unique opportunity to build the next great enterprise software company

Cons

Not for everyone, you need to be resilient, achievement oriented and passionate about changing the world

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing

2. "Fast Paced and Growing!"

I have been working at Turbonomic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you want to join a company that is really on its way up - Turbonomic is the place to be. They are growing fast and you will be able to be part of something great. Great culture , interesting work, and they make work fun!

Cons

You are going to have to be willing to work hard but it totally pays off in the end!

Advice to Management

Keep up the momentum

"Good Bye and Good Riddance. Life is good again !"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Turbonomic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good marketing team., very innovative in creativity.
    Good in playing internal politics.

Cons

No credibility recognition. Favoritism and self-proclaimed ideology based performance evaluation. No feedback. Hidden class system within title hierarchy. False promises to exploit as much as they can and then steal credit when work is done.

Totally unworthy and non-deserving managers in engineering. They can never ever be managers anywhere else (nor qualified nor capable of), thats why they are here. Too much non professional demand for respect, as if it is a king's lair. Ugh ! Grow up already !

Absolute waste of my career here. I tried as much as I could to bring good changes, but in vain. Anyone who tried and was open about it is either laid off or left.

I am glad that I am finally separated from this company and its bad management. Never ever will I ever refer anyone here and in future when I grow up to be an executive or start my own company, I will always remember these people and never do business with them. Its one thing to have a bad product, but they are just bureaucratic and judgmental.

I am so much happier now at work and in life. I am paid based on correct market rate, I am learning great new skills and good management. And most of all, I am respected for my talent and not for my family/friend relationship stature in the company.

Advice to Management

The desperation to get the IPO done and fly off is on your face and same on your family members working in the company. Just do it and get it over with. Stop exploiting the life out of the employees over it.

Jul 11, 2017 – Vice President, People and Culture

Recently we’ve invested in several programs to develop our front-line managers, build career paths, clarify performance expectations and provide opportunities to recognize a job well-done. An... More

"Meritocracy where you're expected to be the answer"

Current Employee - Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Turbonomic full-time

Pros

Don't be fooled by some of the narrow-sighted reviews. There is no nepotism and no soap-opera culture. Period.

There's a very clear culture of innovation and ownership and the company encourages anyone to step up, and invent. I lost count by now of how many initiatives started and were then driven by engineers. The management team all the way to the executive level are clearly listening and are responding to feedback and suggestions. There's even a weekly podcast sent out to staff titled "Be the Answer" where people can recognize others that did something awesome.

This is a meritocracy and as such some people are left behind. If you're the kind of person that wants to work hard and push your career forward, this is the place for you. For the frustrated few that chose to express their frustration in Glassdoor I say - speak up and be heard or leave to find an opportunity that will be more suitable for you. If the culture is so terrible why are you still here after 3+ years?

Turbonomic is a company where decisions are made as a team, regardless of title or tenure. Where every opinion is heard even if the discussion is between a junior engineer and one of the VPs. In this spirit any engineer can become an owner and later lead architecture and grow. This is a great platform if you're willing to seize the opportunity.

Work-life balance here is very much a matter of choice. Some leave their laptops in the office, others leave early and work in the evenings. Many work from home on a regular basis. Many work on weekends. The expectation is that you'll do what needs to be done and as long as you deliver you'll get flexibility in return.

Cons

Vacation policy can be confusing, would be better to just know how many days you can take off.

Customer-driven culture means higher pressure which is not for everyone.

The company is experiencing growing pains in terms of process and sometimes decisions are not communicated well enough.

Comp can be improved.

Advice to Management

Change the PTO policy. Make sure people don't get stuck.

Apr 19, 2017 – Vice President, People and Culture

Thank you for your thoughtful and articulate response. We will take your feedback and suggestions into consideration as Turbonomic continues to evolve.

"Enterprise Sales"

Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I have been working at Turbonomic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great technology, meeting with C-level execs who loves it! Great top leadership help

Cons

401K and healthcare benefits can be better

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing

"Senior Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Turbonomic full-time

Pros

Location of the company. Exposure to the cloud.Founders and co-founders are fantastic but it's hard to grab the opportunity to learn from them.

Cons

Nepotism will spoil your career. Relatives in company are technically challenged and will eat away your credit, growth and even awards. Underpaid employees. Stock options provided are hardly any money.No 401K match. Too much politics for granting vacation. Incapable and insecure managers. Too much stress with zero work/life balance.

Advice to Management

Work on retaining employees rather than hiring new. Make turbonomic a place to work and enjoy not only work and stress.

Mar 3, 2017 – Vice President, People and Culture

Turbonomic certainly continues to learn and grow, anchoring ourselves in disruptive technology that provides us a platform to innovate. Our team is listening to employees and we encourage... More

"Worst place I have ever worked...which is saying a lot"

I have been working at Turbonomic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone who's not a manager is cool but it's sad because they're all leaving. Everyone seems to be jumping ship. Also, this is a great experience to teach you what not to do.

Cons

You know there's a problem when there is an unbelievable amount of turnover here. Titles are a joke. Why are there so many sales vp's and so many chief execs?? A chief people person is not a real title! And salary is subpar...very clearly below market. In interviewing and getting out of the Turbo bubble, it's clear that this place is not normal. You can make more, get real professional development, and find actual work life balance at so many other great tech companies. Contrary to the kool aid they're injecting into our iv's, there is a world outside of Turbonomic and according to how my former colleagues are doing, you can be successful in it!

Advice to Management

Stop making false promises and saying there are all these vague "changes" coming. How about just be transparent and don't bother saying anything at all. Just tell it like it is: you don't care about your employees and you can't wait to sell out and send people back out to look for a new job, worse off than when they came here.

Mar 1, 2017 – Vice President, People and Culture

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review as we’re always striving to learn from current and former employee feedback. We will take your thoughts into consideration as we continue to build... More

"The opportunity is what you make it"

Current Employee - Sales in Boston, MA

I have been working at Turbonomic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Those who stay focused, work hard and commit to a plan will earn success. There is a lot to learn at Turbo and tons of high performers to team up with to achieve your goals. Make sure you have a clear idea of what you want to accomplish at Turbo and how that will help you achieve your long-term career goals. The opportunity to grow professionally here is unmatched by almost any other company, but it's not easy (nor should it be easy).

Cons

Yes the pace of change is hard to keep up with, but I've read many of these Glassdoor reviews and find some of the complaints to be pathetic. This is a culture where the strong, smart and committed not only survive, but thrive. My biggest complaint is the people who stick around at the company and contribute to the problem rather than helping improve the culture and building the company into what we all have the power to make it become.

Advice to Management

Your job is to inspire and help people achieve their goals; if they work for you then you work for them. Listen to those around you and realize that you are equally on the hook to invest in improving yourself.

"Learn the Blueprint of a Tech Startup"

Current Employee - Customer Experience Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Customer Experience Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Turbonomic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Turbonomic is a work hard - play hard organization. I like the fact that everyone is held accountable but at the same time, if you work hard, you are rewarded and recognized for excelling. I've earned numerous bonuses and have had many team outings if we hit our goals.

I had no idea how to make a cold call before I came to Turbonomic (3 years ago). I learned the basics of sales from how to work a CRM database, to how to write an email to get someone's attention, all the way to closing a deal and getting a purchase order by myself. It was not easy, but invaluable experience that will translate elsewhere someday.

I have a direct line to the senior management of Turbonomic. If there's justified feedback that I have, I feel comfortable sharing it with the leaders and making my case for change.

The technology is a true differentiator . The IP of the software is unlike anything else in the market and have more of a competitive advantage than any other product that I've sold in the past.

The thing I like most about my job, is I work with many different lines of the business, from Finance, to Sales, Engineering and Development, to Services / Education. It's given me an opportunity to learn so much from different lines of business rather than having a "silohed" perspective of how things work from one role.

Cons

Since Turbonomic is a start up, not all processes and strategies are perfect. The company often changes strategies which can be frustrating as you are trying to get yourself familiar with the new processes that were just implemented not long ago. Decisions like this are mostly driven from data collected and analyzed and efforts to continue to make the company better.

I worked long hours when I started because I knew nothing about the technologies that the software integrated with and managed. Success does not come over night and there is a large learning curve to learn virtualization and cloud technologies without prior experience.

Advice to Management

Invest more in education and services to our customers to ensure ongoing their ongoing success and spread the paradigm shift we are bringing to the industry.

"Springboard Your Career"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Turbonomic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1.This company provides a revolutionary platform that could become an integral part of many enterprises' data center strategy going forward. Whether it is to keep on premise infrastructure as lean as possible while running properly or acting as a cloud broker in the next gen data center architecture Turbonomic's platform will find itself in the conversation for years to come.
    2.The opportunities are endless at this place. The company is growing so fast that employees who buy in and succeed are offered the ability to move around the organization functionally (myself from sales into an operational role). The experience to be gained at a company like this is years ahead of what I could have gotten applying into other companies. With the rapid expansion geography is also becoming another aspect where people can move around, so if you want to be a pioneer and help open a new office, those opportunities will be available
    3. The management of this company expects a lot, but that is only because they know the potential of what the software can do. The management at Turbonomic is second to none, just look at the bevy of tech all-stars on the roster. The recent addition of Bill Veghte and reaffirmation of CEO Ben Nye are massive votes of confidence for the future.
    4. Below management, the people are great. It is a young, fun culture but what I think separates Turbonomic from the rest of companies that boast a "start up culture" is that the people here are here for more than the ping pong tables and beer Fridays. The people who do well here understand the massive opportunity ahead of us and that Turbonomic can be a place where young people make a name for themselves.

Cons

1. Base SDR pay is great but after first promotion they begin to sink back down to industry standard or slightly below. This is okay if stock options were tangible but I think the company is a bit stingy and mysterious about stock option grants. This is an opportunity to be transparent about how valuable employees can earn stock options. It is not a right to be granted these, but it would certainly be a way to motivate employees further if they knew how to get there. A roadmap to earn stock options would be something I think could go a long way.

Advice to Management

1. Transparency around short and mid term accomplishments is great (tracking for quarter, product updates) but I feel like the long term goal of the company is a tad shrouded in mystery. Try to reaffirm newer people who are joining the company that the company will not just be bought and shelved within 6 months.
    2. I think the hiring process should be more selective in who they hire. The company has aggressive plans and the metrics follow suit. They are fair, attainable and are able to be exceeded but the competitive nature of the company can turn a certain type of person off and I think that is where people who are unhappy stem from.