Turn Reviews in Redwood City, CA | Glassdoor

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Turn CEO Bruce Falck
Bruce Falck

Pros
  • Great convenience - close to Caltrain, free lunch 4 of 5 days (in 15 reviews)

• Despite this, great work-life balance (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Work can be hectic at times as clients are very demanding, but this should not scare you as this is normal in the ever changing world of ad-tech (in 5 reviews)

• does not seem some of the team members respect each other (in 4 reviews)

"Amazing Place To Learn And Grow"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Turn full-time

Pros

Turn is a great place to exponentially increase your technical skills. You will never feel like you are stagnating. The employees and managers at Turn are extremely intelligent, humble, and a pleasure to work with. Bruce, the new CEO, has brought a lot of positive changes to improve the health of the business as well as the culture.

Cons

Turn is a late stage startup and has trouble retaining valuable superstar and experienced employees who leave to join larger companies (Facebook in particular). This is a difficult problem to solve when you are a cash strapped company.

"People + Tech + Opportunity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Pros

I haven't done a review on glassdoor in the past, because it seemed like people just went here when they were not doing a good job or are in general bitter people. So, here is that way that i look at it:
    - insanely smart people.
    - people who care about their job and their colleagues
    - you get to build/work on tech that is changing advertising
    - super cool clients and accounts. it's fun to hear how they love to use Turn
    - tons of growth opportunity for your career. if you want to research a totally new career path you get to hang out with the new department.
    - managers who care about your success both at Turn and after

Cons

There have been changes, but as far as i can tell, they were the right ones to make. Since we chose to be at a company that is defining a new part of the advertising industry i think we should expect change. the competition has increased, the complexity of "what" we do has increased. So i don't mind the change, I'm just glad that it was done and that there was transparency about it.

"Roller Coaster Ride"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Turn full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great learning experience. Opportunity to grow.
    Great convenience - close to Caltrain, free lunch 4 of 5 days
    Reasonable work - life balance

Cons

Volatile industry
    Trying to do all things with limited budget
    Executives misread the market regarding pricing of products
    Customer churn

Advice to Management

Get more market and board input to figure out the right strategy

"Turn is not for everyone"

Former Employee - Product Manager in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Redwood City, CA

Pros

Smart people who are willing to go an extra mile to get things done. Interesting work can be found here.

Cons

There has been a lot of turnover in the last two years. A lot of managers and talented engineers have left. It is a high-pressure environment. It seems the company has passed its prime.

Advice to Management

Listen and be empathetic

"Expereince"

Former Employee - Human Resources Intern in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Human Resources Intern in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Turn (Less than a year)

Pros

Great learning environment. Allowed me to grow and expand my skill set.

Cons

There wasn't anything negative about my experience.

"Challenging Industry with Good People"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Pros

Smart, engaged co-workers with a good attitude and work ethic
    Free lunch and snacks
    Easily accessible from Caltrain in Redwood City

Cons

Poor coordination among senior leadership team in marching towards common goals. Hopefully this is improved as the new CEO enforces his will and vision on the company going forward in 2016.

"Solid engineering talent and great technology"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Turn full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Despite recent attrition problems, there's still a solid core of engineering talent and a competitive product in the market. The scale is massive and the platform is complex. This means that it is an ideal place for someone looking to gain valuable experience playing with cutting edge technology and making a serious impact. Opportunities abound. Co-workers are pleasant and managers are down-to-earth.

Salary and bonus program is competitive. They also offer a good amount of stock options.

Cons

The aforementioned attribution problem, paired with some senior leadership changes over the past year (including a new CEO), means the organization has not been stable and morale is fragile. It can be tough emotionally if you've never experienced workplace turmoil before (especially for the impressionable young engineers). Some of the more experienced engineers have left for the likes of Facebook, which in a way validates the level of engineering talent.

Being a private company in adtech, it is hard to attach a value to the stock options if you are looking for a short-term pay-off.

Advice to Management

Keep building the engineering reputation via avenues such as tech blogs, meetups, conferences, papers, etc. They will attract the right talent. The company is still a start-up, and needs to maintain the startup energy and spirit.

"It was pretty amazing back in its day."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Turn full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Turn was a place where some of the brightest minds in the Bay Area made some truly amazing ad-tech technology. During 2009-2013, we were *well ahead* of all competition when it comes to technical innovation and amazing reach and infrastructure. Some of the best engineering in silicon valley was being done at our HQ in Redwood City.

The perks were great for a startup, we worked long hours, but we truly enjoyed the work. Over those four years, the company grew 10x in size, no matter if you measure headcount, transactions, revenue..

It was a place where you could really learn a lot and make meaningful contributions, up till about the 2012 or early 2013 timeframe.. exactly the time that the company should have IPO'ed.

Cons

With a hypergrowth startup comes a transformation, and risk. The management needs to have a vision and give strong guidance. Instead, our management shifted with the wind, didn't have the seasoned steady hand to guide the helm, and created a distracted, shifting energy that made us lose steam. Rather than focus on our strengths and sell the Turn story, we were always watching what others were doing, afraid of our own shadow, and trying to become a "SaaS" company, for whatever reason.

After our second CFO was fired within a year, it was obvious that a clean exit wasn't going to happen.

Advice to Management

Irrelevant. Most of the good folks left in 2014, and the CEO and SVP Product were fired in 2015. Too soon to say for the new CEO. The company still has good bones and amazing technology, but needs to find a suitable buyer willing to pay a fair price.

"We're defining a new industry"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Pros

We are defining how online digital advertising will be done in the future.

Cons

There has been some turnover.

Advice to Management

Keep your eye on the north star.

"Great place for career growth"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Turn full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you're motivated, you will learn more here than anywhere else about Ad tech. Turn has some truly amazing people. In engineering, Turn has extremely technical leaders, and there's always tons of things to learn from them. If you're interested in tech infrastructure, Turn is a great place to learn and build things. Alternatively, if you're interested in product side of things, there's also a tremendous amount you can do at Turn.

Cons

It's not easy to manage a group of highly talented engineers, especially when Turn engineers are approached by recruiters here and there with big offers in the Silicon Valley.

Advice to Management

Don't be to laid back in management style. Fire the slackers and award the performers. This is the only way that people will recognize that putting in good work is worthwhile and rewarding.