Turn Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Turn CEO Bruce Falck
Bruce Falck

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great convenience - close to Caltrain, free lunch 4 of 5 days" (in 17 reviews)

• "Was a great group of smart people" (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • "Amobee acquisition pushed most people, culture, and focus on tech out of company strategy" (in 4 reviews)

• "Like any growing tech company, resources were often limited" (in 4 reviews)

1. "Engaging work atmosphere"

Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in San Francisco, CA

Pros

- Small company with lots of support from colleagues
    - Free lunch, good team building

Cons

- Confusing as an intern to learn business model of industry

2. "Account Executive"

I worked at Turn full-time

Pros

Great leadership with Bruce and excellent support team across the country. Great way to look at analytics and provide a consultative approach to the ad tech world.

Cons

Been around for so many years, but still struggling with some of the recent tech advancements that competitors have available. Need to be able to adapt faster.

Advice to Management

Keep up the work on the right products and disregard those that are not effective in market. Excellent work on transparency throughout the company.

3. "A dynamic and good company"

I worked at Turn full-time

Pros

Very smart people, free lunch, good technology

Cons

The company is on to a new chapter

4. "Not the greatest"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Turn full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not a lot to say

Cons

Very political organization, disorganized, with a distinct lack of technical leadership and vision

5. "Was great, with ups and downs, prior to Amobee acquisition"

Former Employee - Operaitons in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Operaitons in Chicago, IL

I worked at Turn full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Was a great group of smart people
    Excellent technology and large supporting engineering team

Cons

Too many reorganizations decreased focus and consistency with clients

6. "Turn was an amazing place to work, prior to the acquisition of Amobee"

I worked at Turn full-time

Pros

Turn was an amazing company to work for (prior to the acquisition by Amobee). Despite the Ad Tech industry's dynamic and challenging nature, Turn always held strong with innovative and unique technology and especially smart and collaborative employees. The leadership under Bruce Falck was like no other - clear and focused with a vision, no nonsense, transparent, and most of all - caring. He understood the value of a strong culture. Even with limited resources, every employee seemed to be driven towards the company's goals. Every department had their unique ways of adding value to the company. I consider myself very fortunate to have been able to experience life at Turn.

Cons

Like any growing tech company, resources were often limited.

7. "Sales"

I worked at Turn full-time

Pros

Good culture in certain offices, but that may be different post acquisition.

Cons

So many management changes that it's hard to see a clear strategy, especially after the acquisition.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and build the company from the bottom up, not the top down.

8. "good"

I worked at Turn full-time

Pros

good colleagues, fun environment. good location

Cons

so many big competitors (like google), every now and then CEO gets changed, less stability

"It was fun while it lasted."

I worked at Turn full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people. Simply put. They hired the cool, young attractive rockstars, we were all motivated. I remember the first day I joined and the interview process was sensational. They took the time to actually get everything done, we met our colleagues, our managers and got straight to work. It was the time they just raised Series E, and we all had a lot to look forward to . There was no politics, no drama, nothing, we just did everything we could and it was the first time in almost a decade I could see I joined one of the best companies in the world. We had stolen so many engineers from Google and Facebook and we literally had it all. It was great while it lasted, like most fairy tales, everything must come to an end.

Cons

Welp, - probably from the very top we started seeing the politics in its full force. We soon realized we were all not doing as well as we did before. I personally was sidelined with some silly projects and in constant battle with people for the stupidest things. We were completely out of whack and everybody was either trying to save their jobs or cover up. We had totally lost what we built. I still think to this day that Turn had everything to succeed, we just didn't point the arrow in the right spot. It's interesting to see how success turns to disaster in such a short period of time. But having said that, as humans I strongly believe that if you actually are passionate about something, whether youre the SVP or the Peon Intern, you can make a difference. And that thought had failed miserably through the time as well. It has been 3 years since I had joined and worked there, i miss the good times but man when it got bad it was awful.

Advice to Management

Probably doesn't make much sense to advise now. Now that the acquisition completed, there were probably reasons for the way this story ended. I'd say to the new management team, please keep in mind what got Turn to where it did, and try to continue along that path. Keep the happy spirit, all of the great technology, interesting customers and just enjoy what you had.

10. "Great culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Turn (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people , great engineering values

Cons

As with any startups, lots of people started to leave