Turn Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Turn CEO Bruce Falck
Bruce Falck

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great convenience - close to Caltrain, free lunch 4 of 5 days (in 15 reviews)

• Despite this, great work-life balance (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Work can be hectic at times as clients are very demanding, but this should not scare you as this is normal in the ever changing world of ad-tech (in 5 reviews)

• Amobee acquisition pushed most people, culture, and focus on tech out of company strategy (in 4 reviews)

1. "Was great, with ups and downs, prior to Amobee acquisition"

Former Employee - Operaitons in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Operaitons in Chicago, IL

I worked at Turn full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Was a great group of smart people
    Excellent technology and large supporting engineering team

Cons

Too many reorganizations decreased focus and consistency with clients

2. "Turn was an amazing place to work, prior to the acquisition of Amobee"

I worked at Turn full-time

Pros

Turn was an amazing company to work for (prior to the acquisition by Amobee). Despite the Ad Tech industry's dynamic and challenging nature, Turn always held strong with innovative and unique technology and especially smart and collaborative employees. The leadership under Bruce Falck was like no other - clear and focused with a vision, no nonsense, transparent, and most of all - caring. He understood the value of a strong culture. Even with limited resources, every employee seemed to be driven towards the company's goals. Every department had their unique ways of adding value to the company. I consider myself very fortunate to have been able to experience life at Turn.

Cons

Like any growing tech company, resources were often limited.

3. "Sales"

I worked at Turn full-time

Pros

Good culture in certain offices, but that may be different post acquisition.

Cons

So many management changes that it's hard to see a clear strategy, especially after the acquisition.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and build the company from the bottom up, not the top down.

4. "good"

I worked at Turn full-time

Pros

good colleagues, fun environment. good location

Cons

so many big competitors (like google), every now and then CEO gets changed, less stability

"It was fun while it lasted."

I worked at Turn full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people. Simply put. They hired the cool, young attractive rockstars, we were all motivated. I remember the first day I joined and the interview process was sensational. They took the time to actually get everything done, we met our colleagues, our managers and got straight to work. It was the time they just raised Series E, and we all had a lot to look forward to . There was no politics, no drama, nothing, we just did everything we could and it was the first time in almost a decade I could see I joined one of the best companies in the world. We had stolen so many engineers from Google and Facebook and we literally had it all. It was great while it lasted, like most fairy tales, everything must come to an end.

Cons

Welp, - probably from the very top we started seeing the politics in its full force. We soon realized we were all not doing as well as we did before. I personally was sidelined with some silly projects and in constant battle with people for the stupidest things. We were completely out of whack and everybody was either trying to save their jobs or cover up. We had totally lost what we built. I still think to this day that Turn had everything to succeed, we just didn't point the arrow in the right spot. It's interesting to see how success turns to disaster in such a short period of time. But having said that, as humans I strongly believe that if you actually are passionate about something, whether youre the SVP or the Peon Intern, you can make a difference. And that thought had failed miserably through the time as well. It has been 3 years since I had joined and worked there, i miss the good times but man when it got bad it was awful.

Advice to Management

Probably doesn't make much sense to advise now. Now that the acquisition completed, there were probably reasons for the way this story ended. I'd say to the new management team, please keep in mind what got Turn to where it did, and try to continue along that path. Keep the happy spirit, all of the great technology, interesting customers and just enjoy what you had.

6. "Great culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Turn (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people , great engineering values

Cons

As with any startups, lots of people started to leave

"Former employee"

I worked at Turn full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I'm surprised to see positive reviews for Turn. That said, they have a nice location, office and food. Additionally, there is good training but it comes at sacrificing work life balance and a big target on your back.

Cons

Beware this company! Besides the training, I can't say enough bad things about working here and how it negatively impacts your life. I've never worked for an ad tech company that had this bad of management. Management is very gossipy and entitled individuals, thus creating a very toxic workplace. Management also seem to heavily play favorites and it's very distracting in a work environment. Also, the pay is just ok and it never justifies for all the ridiculous hours and expectations here. If you value your life and time outside work, there is so many better ad tech companies to work for that really encourage a positive environment. Only choose Turn if you are very desperate for a job.

Advice to Management

Review how your management is negatively impacting your employees and using ridiculous scare tactics that no one should have to go through.

"Great culture"

I have been working at Turn full-time

Pros

Relaxed culture, good benefits, decent pay, good review procedures.

Cons

Too many changes too fast.

9. "There the best never hated them i would work again"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I worked at Turn part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

cool people never gave up on me.

Cons

really no cons but the coffee is really good.

Advice to Management

work hard and don't give up on the company.

"Not a bad place to work!"

Pros

The environment is flexible and autonomous!

Cons

Company is growing as fast as we'd like it to