Turn Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Turn CEO Bruce Falck
Bruce Falck

Pros
  • Great convenience - close to Caltrain, free lunch 4 of 5 days (in 15 reviews)

• Smart people who are willing to go an extra mile to get things done (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • does not seem some of the team members respect each other (in 4 reviews)

• Career progression - There are great (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Amazing Place To Learn And Grow"

I have been working at Turn full-time

Pros

Turn is a great place to exponentially increase your technical skills. You will never feel like you are stagnating. The employees and managers at Turn are extremely intelligent, humble, and a pleasure to work with. Bruce, the new CEO, has brought a lot of positive changes to improve the health of the business as well as the culture.

Cons

Turn is a late stage startup and has trouble retaining valuable superstar and experienced employees who leave to join larger companies (Facebook in particular). This is a difficult problem to solve when you are a cash strapped company.

"Best company I've ever worked at"

Current Employee - Sales Executive in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at Turn full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing company culture with daily catered lunch, flexible vacation, gym reimbursement, beautiful offices, and organizational transparency. Some of the smartest people I've met at any tech company, from the assistants to the exec board. Pay is above market. Stock options included for a company that is growing very fast and destined for a successful and exciting exit.

Cons

very lengthy and thorough interview process, which can also be viewed as a Pro

Advice to Management

Even as the headcount of the company grows, continue to maintain the very high quality of new employees

"Smart people, unique challenges and great culture"

Current Employee - Operations Management in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Operations Management in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Turn full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of smart people here doing really cool things in the Ad-Tech Market. The challenges that exist in engineering and operations are not found in many places. Big data (6+ Petabytes), high traffic volume (1M QPS) and an extremely complex application. The culture here is very transparent and open. Management gives everybody a voice and promotes collaboration and innovation. Lunch provided 4 days a week, close to cal-train and downtown restaurants.

Cons

As with all growing companies, lots of work to be done. This is always a good problem to have, but finding a work/life balance can be challenging.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work.

"Incredibly challenged but flying really high"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Turn full-time

Pros

On a daily basis I am attempting problems that I have never solved before. This is one of the biggest sites on the internet with one of the biggest big data set with some of the smartest people. I am thrilled to be here. I am learning so much. The people here are fun to be with. I like hanging out with them even after work. I like the problem set I am working on. I like the fact that clients love Turn.

Cons

Offices are spread out in NYC. This creates a bit of an issue for some folks if they interact with multiple teams.

Advice to Management

This is a beautiful place to work. Just keep up the same culture.

"At Very Large Scale, the Fun Begins"

Current Employee - Architect in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Architect in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Turn full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A great company keeps the balance between executing like an army and innovating like free jazz improvs. I believe Turn is such a company. I like that we have a vision and a great team to execute it. But at the same time we're innovating and exploring outside of our core goals. I also love the team I work with. Smart but also great people to hang out with. And finally as a history buff, I love our HQ which is a 100-year old building and used to be frequented by Wyatt Earp!

Cons

Turn has growing pains. This manifests in both frustration of not able to materialize great ideas fast enough, as well as being pulled in one too many directions.

Advice to Management

Keep open communication between departments so we don't develop "fiefdoms" with interest only in themselves rather than the company. Build a global company culture now that the sun doesn't set on Turn.

"Great and friendly people, interesting work, and management that looks out for you"

Current Employee - Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Turn full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome friendly, mature yet young-at-heart people. Advice and expertise are freely given. Everyone functions as a team, and politics seldom if ever get in the way. Nothing is shrouded from the employees. All business decisions as well as financial information is readily available and distributed so that everyone feels in the loop. Great work problems, with the ability to work on your own projects if you choose. A responsive management that works hard to make things better for the employees.

Cons

I have a wish-list a mile long of things I would like to do. We are getting through it, but if only we had more people...

Advice to Management

More flexibility on the timeline once a project is underway. I have already communicated this with management and discussions are happening.

"Great, team-oriented company"

Current Employee - Sales Engineer
    Current Employee - Sales Engineer

I have been working at Turn full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are lots of opportunities to learn about business and technology. There is great product focus and prioritization that ensures that projects are always addressing client needs. Each team is very professional and include some of the best and brightest minds in the industry.

Cons

Very fast paced work environment, there are always a lot of projects going on and sometimes it takes a little extra time to keep up and ensure that ends meet. The upside to this is that there is no shortage of teamwork and collaboration to ensure that this is not an overbearing problem.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work in maintaining cross-functional group focus

"Great people, culture, and amazing products"

Pros

First and foremost the people. I've here only a month, and I can say that the support from all levels have been phenomenal. I may sound like a cliche, but people here really care, and they understand that your success is the everyone's success.
    I can say that Turn's has by far the best suite of products in the industry, and by a far long stretch. Without a doubt this is the result is having a top notch engineering and applied sciences team, and also an extremely data-driven and market oriented product team. Such talent is is a very rare to find these days.

Cons

If you don't like fast pace, data driven, and very dynamic workplace this is not your company.

"Great culture, great technology"

I have been working at Turn full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Collaborative culture, transparency between upper level management and the rest of the company, positioned in up-and-coming big data industry, free food and massage

Cons

Display advertising never sleeps. Network problems could potentially arise in the middle of the night, and depending on your role, you may have to address it right away. Turn is almost there in terms of outsourcing the monitoring and maintenance, but it's not quite there yet.

"Overall great place to work!"

I have been working at Turn full-time

Pros

Cool technologies, competitive compensation, smart people.
    Free lunch, snacks, drinks.
    Great location.

Cons

Nothing really non-trivial so far.