Turn Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Turn CEO Bruce Falck
Bruce Falck

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great convenience - close to Caltrain, free lunch 4 of 5 days (in 15 reviews)

• Despite this, great work-life balance (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Work can be hectic at times as clients are very demanding, but this should not scare you as this is normal in the ever changing world of ad-tech (in 5 reviews)

• Amobee acquisition pushed most people, culture, and focus on tech out of company strategy (in 4 reviews)

1. "Sales"

I worked at Turn full-time

Pros

Good culture in certain offices, but that may be different post acquisition.

Cons

So many management changes that it's hard to see a clear strategy, especially after the acquisition.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and build the company from the bottom up, not the top down.

2. "Was great, with ups and downs, prior to Amobee acquisition"

Former Employee - Operaitons in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Operaitons in Chicago, IL

I worked at Turn full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Was a great group of smart people
    Excellent technology and large supporting engineering team

Cons

Too many reorganizations decreased focus and consistency with clients

3. "Turn was an amazing place to work, prior to the acquisition of Amobee"

I worked at Turn full-time

Pros

Turn was an amazing company to work for (prior to the acquisition by Amobee). Despite the Ad Tech industry's dynamic and challenging nature, Turn always held strong with innovative and unique technology and especially smart and collaborative employees. The leadership under Bruce Falck was like no other - clear and focused with a vision, no nonsense, transparent, and most of all - caring. He understood the value of a strong culture. Even with limited resources, every employee seemed to be driven towards the company's goals. Every department had their unique ways of adding value to the company. I consider myself very fortunate to have been able to experience life at Turn.

Cons

Like any growing tech company, resources were often limited.

4. "good"

I worked at Turn full-time

Pros

good colleagues, fun environment. good location

Cons

so many big competitors (like google), every now and then CEO gets changed, less stability

5. "Review"

I worked at Turn full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Cutting edge Platform and technology

Cons

Employee treatment is very varied.

"It was fun while it lasted."

I worked at Turn full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people. Simply put. They hired the cool, young attractive rockstars, we were all motivated. I remember the first day I joined and the interview process was sensational. They took the time to actually get everything done, we met our colleagues, our managers and got straight to work. It was the time they just raised Series E, and we all had a lot to look forward to . There was no politics, no drama, nothing, we just did everything we could and it was the first time in almost a decade I could see I joined one of the best companies in the world. We had stolen so many engineers from Google and Facebook and we literally had it all. It was great while it lasted, like most fairy tales, everything must come to an end.

Cons

Welp, - probably from the very top we started seeing the politics in its full force. We soon realized we were all not doing as well as we did before. I personally was sidelined with some silly projects and in constant battle with people for the stupidest things. We were completely out of whack and everybody was either trying to save their jobs or cover up. We had totally lost what we built. I still think to this day that Turn had everything to succeed, we just didn't point the arrow in the right spot. It's interesting to see how success turns to disaster in such a short period of time. But having said that, as humans I strongly believe that if you actually are passionate about something, whether youre the SVP or the Peon Intern, you can make a difference. And that thought had failed miserably through the time as well. It has been 3 years since I had joined and worked there, i miss the good times but man when it got bad it was awful.

Advice to Management

Probably doesn't make much sense to advise now. Now that the acquisition completed, there were probably reasons for the way this story ended. I'd say to the new management team, please keep in mind what got Turn to where it did, and try to continue along that path. Keep the happy spirit, all of the great technology, interesting customers and just enjoy what you had.

7. "Great culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Turn (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people , great engineering values

Cons

As with any startups, lots of people started to leave

"A True Story: The Rise and Fall of a Unicorn"

I worked at Turn full-time

Pros

When I joined, Turn was a healthy and profitable company considered to be a leader in the industry that was growing faster than any of its peers. After a while it raised around $80m from investors and became cash-rich. This was the beginning of a series of disasters. All of the sudden, executives came up with the doomed idea of selling media like a software simply because Wall Street prefers software companies over media companies. They hired many people from various software industries who had no experience in advertising, but these people were also the victims of a catastrophic shift in the company's strategies. Obviously no agencies or trading desks welcomed the idea of buying media as software, and one-by-one they walked away from Turn.

After less than a year it became clear that things at Turn were going wrong. It kept losing its biggest customers. The revenue continued to decline, and a couple hundred people left, including many of the most talented employees. It burned most of the money that it raised in the last round of funding. Many of the then-current executives were either fired or voluntary left Turn, leaving very little money in the company's bank account.

Then the new CEO came, but it was already too late to turn the situation around. I have tremendous respect for those who decided to stay at Turn at that point. They were brave, dedicated, and didn't choose to leave what was now obviously a sinking ship... Together with the new CEO, they redefined their reason for being, developed a differentiated vision and built a healthy organization. In less than another year it became a company focused on its mission more than it ever was before, and more than any of its competitors as well. Ultimately they weren't able to get back on a strong growth track, but that was because there was no money left in the bank for hiring and investing. The new CEO did a truly impressive and admirable job. Only the ex-executives that were no longer with Turn were to blame...

Singtel's recent acquisition of Turn may look like a terrible deal considering that Turn had at one point almost attained Unicorn status, but the true story was that the remaining employees and the new CEO successfully turned the company around, increased its value and sold the company for a higher multiple than many of its peers that have already gone IPO and had twice the number of people that Turn had. Unfortunately, nobody made significant amount of money from the deal, except perhaps for the execs who created the problems and had already left Turn. It's sad, but true. Under the new leadership, Turn won many huge deals when up against giants such as Google and Facebook despite having much less money and resources, which required a great deal of talent and dedication from each of the employees.

I have seen all the good, the bad and the ugly, in my days at Turn. I worked alongside both the best and the worst executives and professionals in the industry. The worst ones screwed up the once-promised unicorn, but the best ones dedicated themselves to recover it. Now backed by a tremendously resourceful telecom giant, I hope Turn can finally unlock their potential and really get back into the game.

Cons

Employees in international markets had been unfairly treated. I'd have warned that people outside the US should avoid Turn at all costs, but that could be different now with the acquisition.

"Former employee"

I worked at Turn full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I'm surprised to see positive reviews for Turn. That said, they have a nice location, office and food. Additionally, there is good training but it comes at sacrificing work life balance and a big target on your back.

Cons

Beware this company! Besides the training, I can't say enough bad things about working here and how it negatively impacts your life. I've never worked for an ad tech company that had this bad of management. Management is very gossipy and entitled individuals, thus creating a very toxic workplace. Management also seem to heavily play favorites and it's very distracting in a work environment. Also, the pay is just ok and it never justifies for all the ridiculous hours and expectations here. If you value your life and time outside work, there is so many better ad tech companies to work for that really encourage a positive environment. Only choose Turn if you are very desperate for a job.

Advice to Management

Review how your management is negatively impacting your employees and using ridiculous scare tactics that no one should have to go through.

"Great culture"

I have been working at Turn full-time

Pros

Relaxed culture, good benefits, decent pay, good review procedures.

Cons

Too many changes too fast.