Turner Broadcasting Reviews | Glassdoor

Turner Broadcasting Reviews

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
John Martin

Pros
  • Work/life balance was much better than average, with the understanding that working late is a requirement in order to meet project due dates (in 100 reviews)

• Great benefits, great people and very innovative (in 129 reviews)

Cons
  • sometimes work life balance can be challenging depending on the area one works especially with all the recent cutbacks (in 31 reviews)

• It's hard to move around to different departments (in 15 reviews)

"Run for the Hills!"

Former Employee - Vice President in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Vice President in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Turner Broadcasting (More than 3 years)

Pros

Turner was a great place to work until.....see cons....

Cons

ratings started to decline and the new Executive Management had no creative/alternative ways to increase revenue, so they took the lazy way out and started cutting heads. They laid off 1,000 people in Atlanta in 2014 and another 200 or so in the last few months. I understand there is a target of another 10% layoff next year. The leaders of this company are not to be trusted with the success of the company nor your career. Run for the hills!

2. "Accountant"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Turner Broadcasting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits competitive pay fun place to work

Cons

The cut back on employees perks, like free tickets to the Hawks or Braves game

"Politics_Career Blocker"

Former Employee - Human Resources Assistant in Covington, GA
    Former Employee - Human Resources Assistant in Covington, GA

I worked at Turner Broadcasting (More than a year)

Pros

Working with different individuals across Turner culture

Cons

Human Resources Department
    Under-qualified management/leadership
    Favoritism
    Lack of bonuses
    Unfair metrics decision making for raises
    Hostile work environment

Advice to Management

Treat and reward qualify employees and not just those that are favored by those in leadership. This company has lost and will continue to lose great employees due to the cut throat and under-handed daily practices.

"manager"

Pros

Offtime once earned is above average.

Cons

Long days turned into late nights. Always on call with no compenstation. Constant state of confusion among can management and their completely out of touch with staff. they have a slimey approach.

Advice to Management

Move on.

"Horrible experience"

Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Turner Broadcasting full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Looks great on your resume. Some people are nice. Free parking. Mediocre cafeteria. I do not know of any other pros.

Cons

Too much red tape. Promotions given to favorites. Management lies about layoffs. Salary is below market. Overworked. Please do not waste your time

Advice to Management

Employees morale is down. Wake up and do something about it!!

"The desturction of a Company."

Former Employee - Life Safety/Security in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Life Safety/Security in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Turner Broadcasting (More than 8 years)

Pros

Turner had excellent benefits and perks for their employees.

Cons

Time Warner placed their people in position to run Turner, things went down hill quickly. Many, Many people were let go because of a Vision that John Martin had!!

Advice to Management

turn company back to Turner and bring back that Management. Cut the 15 Million dollar pay and the perks to upper Management(CEO) John Martin. bring all the lay-offed workers.Get TW out of Turner.

"Company Now Destroyed"

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Turner Broadcasting full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

None currently. The changes over the last year have been horrible and has lead to low morale and hight turnover.

Cons

The changes over the last year have completely destroyed the company and turnover is steady.

"Vice President Marketing"

Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I worked at Turner Broadcasting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They have strong brands and relatively deep pockets. For executives, they provide nice severance packages if they don't offer you a new contract.

Cons

Poor leadership. Executives treat employees like crap. HR is more interested in gossiping than being helpful. They make WAY TOO MANY DECKS!

Advice to Management

Sell truTV or just get rid of it. What a horrible excuse for a network, run by horribly inept people who think they are very smart though they have continually failed.

"No respect if you were laid off in 2014 and try to return"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Turner Broadcasting full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are many GREAT aspects to Turner, which is why I (initially) was so eager to go back. But that's not the focus of this review (instead, see the CON section below).

Cons

When I was laid off in fall of 2014, I accepted it as their "business decision." The severance package was excellent, and went a long way toward my still feeling positive toward the company on the way out the door. I was told I was "eligible for rehire," and encouraged to apply for other open positions that might interest me and that I was qualified for. But when months and months go by and you've applied for multiple positions, reached out to recruiters directly, and yet STILL can't get an interview (for things you clearly SHOULD be given serious consideration for, especially as a long time, experienced employee)...it starts to lead to the sneaking suspicion that maybe you (and likely other "2020ed" people) may have been blacklisted. Even if you weren't. Many of the Turner HR recruiters are worse than useless (and have been that way long before the cutbacks). Even when you let them know you were impacted by the layoffs and have applied for an open position, their responses (when they do respond) tend to be curt, cold, and borderline insulting. Not at all considerate toward employees who've gone through the (very traumatic) experience of being laid off (through, supposedly, no fault of their own). Just as one example: you can send them a detailed email raising several issues/questions, but then will only get a short, 3 sentence "form letter" style reply that ignores the points raised and feels like it was copied and pasted from a template. Thanks, but if you weren't going to legitimately address any of my concerns you might as well not have responded at all. I'd be really curious to know.... of the 1,500 employees who were bought out or laid off as part of "Turner 2020," how many of them later applied for open positions, and of those, how many were actually given interviews and eventually re-hired. That's if you can make it through Turner's ridiculously long drawn out hiring process and other bureaucratic road blocks (don't even get me started on the typos in the written job descriptions). I realize that my interpretation of these HR reps might not be accurate, given that I'm not seeing things from inside and am unable to say how many (likely hundreds) of applications they must go through each day. But that doesn't change the fact that from the outside, it looks (and feels) very bad.

Advice to Management

Start monitoring the email responses your HR recruiters are sending back to job candidates. And then re-train accordingly. Even if you have no real intention of hiring them back, at least show some respect to the loyal people you laid off, beyond just paying them money to go away.

"Producer"

I have been working at Turner Broadcasting full-time

Pros

Good benefits. There is really nothing more to add.

Cons

No job security, untrustworthy management.

Advice to Management

good luck in your future endeavors with the way you have sacrificed your hardworking and longer term employees.