Turner Broadcasting Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
John Martin

Pros
  • Relaxed, friendly work environment with great benefits and a great work/life balance (in 106 reviews)

• Great benefits, great people and very innovative (in 136 reviews)

Cons

"Work ethic/talent means nothing--it's ONLY about who you know."

Current Employee - Media Coordinator in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Media Coordinator in Atlanta, GA

Pros

We have a great benefits package, working for CNN looks good on the resume and it's always interesting to see what happens from day to day. We have some really great talent and the people can make it fun--we bring each other up with positive encouragment.

Cons

The 'good ole boys network' runs CNN, sexism, racism, a thick glass ceiling for women, managers play favorites, pre-decided reviews and management's attempts to keep morale low so we constantly feel we have to prove ourselves. My manager is passive-aggressive and is almost impossible to talk too on any level. I've never had a job with lower morale and so many unhappy people.

Advice to Management

Get rid of our useless middle management, bring in fresh blood and use the good talented people we have on staff. Nothing will ever be better until you drop the 'manage by fear' tactics. I've never been so disappointed at a greedy group of people in my life. It's amazing that we work at the worlds news leader and our managers act like a bunch of jealous children.

"Poor management in IT"

Current Employee - QA Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - QA Analyst in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Company benefits are great. And very good perks for the employees.

Cons

Poor management in the IT department. Very top heavy, and they do not know what they are doing.

Advice to Management

Way too many VP's, Directors and Managers. And the ones that we have do not have a clue. And that goes all the way to the Sr VP. If they can't run the division then get rid of them. It is what they would do to the workers. If job performance and success were the determining factors in job retention then pretty much all of them would be gone.
    And hire more workers. We need more developers, pm's, and testers to accomplish the work. It becomes quite obvious when they can't approve vacations or personal time off for the workers. But the VP's, Directors, and Managers are running into each other all the time with nothing to do.

"Good for the $$$ - Horrible for the Experience"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Salaries is good - better enjoy it

Cons

Management is done through fear and intimidation. You are constantly reminded, "YOU WORK FOR ME" - and not part of a collaborative team. There are far too many VPs, Directors, Managers. Most hide in their offices, only emerging in crisis situations - and then look like clowns bumping into one another.

The company attempts to tout it's many benefits and perks - however, those are not doled out consistently. Training is non-existent.

People are treated as commodities. Individuals are not valued for their contribution.

Low morale is believed to be handled by handing out surveys on which no action is ever taken. There are numerous teams and committees to review the results of the surveys - and lots of powerpoint presentations summarizing the data.

Advice to Management

Offer some form of professional growth. Do something besides hand out surveys and form committees to review the surveys. Understand that if you want people to contribute, you must make them feel valued - currently you treat everyone as a commodity.

"Once a Giant, now stumbles over it's own feet."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Annual raise and bonus.
    Paid time off. The company combines sick days / floating holidays with vacation days.
    Company discounts.
    Medical/Dental/Vision benefits.

Cons

No advancement.
    Low morale.
    Management play favorites and use retaliation against direct reports.
    The recent round of layoffs left employees with a feeling of uncertainty that upper management have done little to improve.

Advice to Management

Look at all areas before making cuts. Lower management often contribute to a waste of resources.
    Allow movement in various departments as well as inter-department transfers.

"Toxic Work Environment"

Former Employee - Expert Software Developer in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Expert Software Developer in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Turner offers a very good benefits/salary package for some of its employees. The company was good about offering generation vacation time.

Cons

Turner (affectionately known by me and former alums as "Turnover") is a toxic work environment.

I left EA back in 2008 after deciding that the company does nothing more than make people miserable. Since leaving, I've re-entered my profession psychologically and enjoy programming again. I've worked at several good companies since my departure, but as a senior software developer, I've also worked with quite a few former Turnover employees and all of us share the same basic story.

Turnover encourages bullying, degradation and belittlement of highly competent and energetic engineers on the part of incompetent team leads and even more incompetent middle managers. I've held off writing a review of the company, thinking that perhaps I would judge too harshly, but my current employer recently hired a former Turnover employee who, as it happens, took my place on a team there. I'm glad to have this new professional on my team, but much of what he related about his experience there mirrors mine perfectly. I write this review as a warning to other software developers who really love their craft and want to excel professionally and personally. In the time I was there and since, I can count about 30 people who quit. The company is simply not able to retain people in the EA department because of the toxic conditions promoted by the company as a whole.

The Enterprise Applications department is rife with the loss of good talent, especially in recent months, as the job market has improved. (My current client has picked up two Turneover alumni, making half our software development team now former members of Turnover.) As a former employee, in my current position as a senior software developer, I've interviewed Turnover employees looking to leave the company and their story is always the same: toxic workplace, incompetent and wasteful management, cliquishness and a total disdain for anyone who tries to improve the business and software development processes of the organization. Younger software developers especially feel a great sense of frustration that their careers and skill sets are being destroyed working on projects where costs overruns, missed deadlines and a steadfast opposition to good methodology are commonplace.

Much of this is caused by the fact that the company simply makes too much money, so it wastes valuable resources on the hiring of incompetent middle managers who treat their teams very poorly while at the same time promoting highly incompetent individuals on the basis of their gender/sexual orientation/skin color. In other cases, senior management simply shows blatant favoritism towards individuals who are pets, yes-men and syncophants. Turnover's accolades in the public sphere are about "diversity" and the promotion and women and minorities. What's left out is that competent people are often passed over for lead and managerial positions because they do not fit Time-Warner's definition of diversity. Instead, incompetent and socially retarded individuals are selected on the basis of accidental qualities. This spans all the way to the senior vice president in charge of EA.

Turnover is the only organization I've been at where *entire* teams of people quit in disgust and frustration. I saw one colleague have a nervous breakdown; another had a similar experience and quit without giving a two week notice. I saw two examples while there, of entire teams leaving, sometimes without notice. Since then, I've heard from friends and former colleagues of other cases, including a recent incident where three business analysts left because a female minority was hired at a higher rate.

Some more concrete examples of what I experienced while there for 3 years: "Senior" developers were allowed to use bullying and coercion in their encounters with team members. The EA department had a special workshop on accountability training, but in practice, it meant business as usual, where bright, enthusiastic professionals were taken into offices and brow-beat and berated by the incompetent old guard.

Preferential treatment was shown to team members who a) did not show up to work on certain days, b) did not complete assigned coding tasks, c) regularly blamed others for their own shoddy workmanship. It was especially demoralizing when certain employees were allowed to take as many vacation days as they wanted while the rest of us had to work on deadlines (in the rare cases where we actually had project work and weren't simply being cowed into bilking other Turnover divisions.)

"A decent place to work if you aren't in broadcast operations"

Current Employee - Broadcast Operations in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Broadcast Operations in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Turner Broadcasting full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The amount of PTO time is very competetive and the benefits offered are fantastic

Cons

Management in broadcast operations is terrible. They get a couple of people that are qualified to make sure everything runs well and have them do their jobs for them. At the least make them look competent. They keep unqualified management indefintely due to low turn over. The multiple members of Turners broadcast operations management team are not only incompetent they are often unpleasant as well. If you have options I suggest staying far from this department. They give the illusion that there is a positive atmosphere but it's all smoke and mirrors.

Advice to Management

Senior level management needs to ask the staff for their honest opinions about the mangement team they work for. The yearly survey needs to break down questions by position instead of lumping together upper management and lower management levels. I may feel like my network VP is doing a good job but that my department manager isn't. It is not an accurate portrayal of how employees feel about their management and work enviroment.

"Turner Broadcasting"

Former Employee - Director of Finance in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Director of Finance in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Turner Broadcasting full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Exciting Industry
    Opportunity to move around and do different things

Cons

Terrible Finance Organization
    Old School Approach to People Management and Development
    Very difficult to transition into new roles in the Finance Organization

Advice to Management

Your Finance Organization is stale and borderline unethical. You need to integrate new talent in - especially at the top. Quit worrying about CPA credentials and start looking for people who have the capacity to understand business and the impact of what they do on other parts of the company. You have people who have spent their entire careers there leading the organization, and they are old school and stale.

"Wrong place to work for Dynamic software developers"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Turner Broadcasting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work Life Balance. You can hang around for years and decades without actually doing anything.

Cons

Most folks have stayed with the same company for many years and have learned the technology on the job and have a tunneled vision. They are afraid to look outside or even take new suggestions or challenges. All that matters is filling in the time sheet, budgeting project hours, meetings and exaggeration of work. I don’t know which of these qualify as part of software development. Since favoritism runs high, quality of actual work doesn't matter. There is so much of corporate politics

Advice to Management

All software developers, technical support engineers, software architects should report to technical managers and not to non -technical managers.

"Do not work here if you are a ethical HR Professional"

Current Employee - Research Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Research Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Turner Broadcasting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, PTO, Vacation Days, and Summer Fridays. You also get tons of discounts on gift cards and local attractions like the aquarium, etc. There is an onsite gym, and a lot of employees do workout during lunch. Also telecommuting and flex schedule is an option.

Cons

Where do I begin? Your HR department is very unethical. Almost all of them are in bed with the business. The business pays for everything from office renovations to vacations. If you have any thoughts as to what is right or wrong but it does not agree with what the business agrees with it doesn't matter. My ethics have been tested in my years there. You are told all the time to give the business what it wants regardless of what it is. They decide they want to term someone without a good reason and don't care that we can get sued, who cares. Lets not get into the other legal issues. All of the senior team cares about is building relationships and not building credibility. There is a long running joke about Turner HR Turnover within the business. If you don't care about doing work, but you just want to collect a check and make people happy then this is the place for you! There is no work life balance, you are given a blackberry and expected to respond at all times.

Advice to Management

Worry about the little people and not yourselves. Maybe the business will thrive better.

"Great place to be an employ, not a good place to work"

Current Employee - Lead Systems Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Lead Systems Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Turner Broadcasting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are some great benefits such as free sports vouchers and ccasional swag. There are some very smart people. The work comfortable environment

Cons

One cannot easily leave due no-poach and non-compete agreements with high-level recruiters. The managment oversite is terrible. There seems to be a lot of time spent toward documenting who is not doing somehting rather that getting things done. Turner time.

Advice to Management

Take a very close look at your middle managers. Only results driven companies can pull off the technical manager and Turner is not a results driven company