Turner Broadcasting Reviews | Glassdoor

Turner Broadcasting Reviews

Updated April 3, 2017

Pros
  • Relaxed, friendly work environment with great benefits and a great work/life balance (in 106 reviews)

• Great benefits, great people and very innovative (in 136 reviews)

"Dont waste your time"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burbank, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burbank, CA

I have been working at Turner Broadcasting (More than 5 years)

Pros

good benefits, summer halfday fridays

Cons

no mobility, runs like a gossip mill

"Once coveted as a career destination, quickly transformed into merely a job then RIF'd all within 6 months of hire"

Former Employee - Database Administrator in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Database Administrator in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Turner Broadcasting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Location, media industry leader, networking with strong peers, great resume builder

Cons

Brain drain, pressure to perform and succeed in original programming with mullenials cutting the cable cord

Advice to Management

Good luck with the consolidation, outsourcing and the youngsters...

"Finance/Accounting"

Former Employee - Management in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Management in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Turner Broadcasting full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Exciting and interesting industry. The people who work at Turner are mostly very nice. Decent pay and benefits.

Cons

I have read some of the other comments and a common theme is how political it is at Turner. I would agree. It's to the point where all of your energy is spent trying to figure out other's motives instead of focusing on doing your job. Management is out for themselves only and colleagues will stab you in the back in order to get ahead. Its's the most toxic, soul draining atmosphere of any place i have worked and got worse around the time of the creation of the shared service center. The culture is very hierarchical to the point of ridiculesness and vp's are not interested in anyone that is not a direct report. Getting ahead on your own merits doesn't work at Turner. You need to be friends with upper management, which has led to promoting incompetent management to make bad decisions for us all to suffer by.

Advice to Management

Instead of promoting based on popularity, try promoting based on merit. The same goes for cutting jobs. Begin holding people accountable instead of talking about accountability.

"HR"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Turner Broadcasting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Meeting new and diverse people

Cons

Upper management could care less about their works Turner 20/20 was a way to get rid of older works and other employees who refused to be manipulated by the rat race to sell their souls to get promoted. This company is all about their brand at the expense of quality and truthful programming plus cut throat practices and the entire HR Department is a joke, There is no morals or standards everything is based on relationships that involve butt kissing and shady practices.

Advice to Management

Return back to the true vision of Ted Turner when the company actually stood for something and cared about other human beings.

"If you are focused on IT stay away from Turner or Time Warner."

Former Employee - Senior Management in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Management in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Turner Broadcasting full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great up to 2014. Then folks in NY gutted IT in the name of cost savings (or more correctly lets push as much pain to the business as possible so we can make the IT budget look good).

Cons

In 2014 the entire IT operation of Time Warner (HBO, Warner Brothers and Turner Broadcasting) was gutted and outsourced. Those running it now are focused on cost savings at the expense of service delivery. It is a very hypocritical and a culture of fear. Ask a customer of their service desk what it is like now from what it was.

"The company culture is deteriorating."

Current Employee - Director in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Director in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Turner Broadcasting full-time

Pros

The company has great benefits. Great people work there.

Cons

New leadership is changing the direction of the company.

"Sinking ship no longer values employees"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Turner Broadcasting full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

In the late 90s and 2000s it was a great company. The company is still profitable.

Cons

Turner has been on the decline since a famous activist stockholder takeover attempt. Ever since then the accountants have been running the show. In fact the new CEO is the former CFO of Time Warner.

Every service department has been cut to the bone, and the best employees are leaving. For years now many departments are being held together on threads by a single person or two in each department, and management is failing to recognize them. We work hard but are not given the proper tools we need becaue the accountants have decided it is too expensive to buy industry standard tools to do our tasks. Management does not care about anything but their own personal bonus. Jobs are regularly posted but not filled in order to keep them open until budgets close and thee manager can make better numbers.

Now with the Turner 2020 initiative, blanket threats of layoffs by year-end have been issued and I don't know a single person not looking for a new company to work for. The best people are the ones fleeing first, and the ones who have been in cruise control are stuck at Turner. Do you really want to be stuck alongside these people? The amount and lack of motivation is startling, and management has failed to not only acknowledge who is working hard, but failed to grasp the lack of motivation issues. Current focus is on cutting everything to the bone and working everyone as hard as possible. Nobody is talking about career advancement anymore, we are being told to be lucky we have jobs essentially. Meanwhile managers at mid level are fighting to keep their jobs as duties are being sent to other departments, and in some cases off-shore. Our first level support is already being off-shored to a third party contractor who will operate call centers out of Eastern Europe. This was announced even prior to the Turner 2020 cuts. Managers at all levels seem to be incompetant, and this has gone on long enough that it's clear senior management has no idea what they are doing. The very same people who have ran Turner into the ground over the past few years are now being rewarded with new roles in the new consolidated departments. Even before all of these cuts, Turner has been known for sub-par pay and location does not seem to matter.

I work closely with management in many locations and the sentiment among management even is this is a screwed up company. Everyone knows it, even managers. They are trying to keep their job though so this gets swept under the rug except in the constant gossip around the building, which these days is all day and every day.

Advice to Management

Get rid of management that has been around for 10 or 20 years with no improvement. Ask your front of the line employees what they actually need to do their jobs, and if it's $20 or $30/mo, consider the improved output it would give versus the additional cost. Treat your employees like humans again. Turner has lost its luster and the name is no longer a draw.

"Only the shareholders matter. Employees don't."

Current Employee - Communications in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Communications in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Turner Broadcasting full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I can wear jeans to work.

Cons

Morale is in the gutter. We keep getting memos from the CEO that layoffs are coming so there's a dark cloud over everything. Things that make the company great, like volunteer day, are getting cut. Pay was already low but now there is even less motivation to do a good job. High level execs don't care about us. Only the bottom line matters so that when Time Warner is bought the shareholders will make tons of money.

Advice to Management

Treat us like human beings rather than dispensable expenses.

"Abusive"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Turner Broadcasting full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits, and some interesting projects.

Cons

I had worked at Turner for a good many years, and then the management changed. The new management did everything they could to get rid of good employees. Four of my co-workers, all of whom had been with the company over 8 years, abruptly left the company. Then a year later, I did the same. I was given impossible assignments and set up to fail, and then given a "performance warning." Before then, I had never had problems getting satisfactory annual reviews. I also knew a guy working in a different department who had a terribly abusive boss--even worse than mine. Anyway, this place is toxic--stay far, far away. I feel sorry for my co-workers who are still working there. One of them is only working there because the company pays for insanely expensive medicine for his wife; he told me that otherwise, he would have left a long time ago.

Advice to Management

Stop abusing employees.

"Director"

Former Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Director in New York, NY

I worked at Turner Broadcasting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Salary is very good, but vacation is based on seniority and not tittle. Two weeks vacation to start for a senior level is not good.

Cons

Dealing with old blood. No new way of thinking. People have been there for years therefore they don't want change, same way of doing things.

Advice to Management

Be open to new creative thinking. Be clear and transparent.