Turner Construction Reviews in Los Angeles, CA | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Turner Construction President and CEO Peter J. Davoren
Peter J. Davoren

Pros
Cons
  • Can encourage a work life balance more (in 29 reviews)

• Long hours and the pay could be a little low but I guess it's good enough for recent grad with no experience (in 48 reviews)

1. "Great Company with Upper Management that knows you name"

Current Employee - Assistant Engineer in Anaheim, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Engineer in Anaheim, CA

I have been working at Turner Construction full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, great employees, and awesome projects to work on. Most of the largest projects around the country are done by Turner. Great opportunities to travel around the country or world if desired.

Cons

Need to put in long hours to satisfy clients. Large work load. Ethics policy makes typical networking activities with trade partners and Turner not possible, or at the very least awkward.

Advice to Management

Keep reaching out to all employees for suggestions on how to continue improving the company environment. Open policy with upper management is a must and can never be ended.

2. "Wonderful Work Environment"

Current Employee - Intern in Anaheim, CA
    Current Employee - Intern in Anaheim, CA

Pros

As an intern there isn't a day where I'm not learning something new. Construction is a field that is constantly changing and dynamic, so there is never room to get too comfortable. The people you work with come from all walks of life, but work so well together. They ensure that all your questions are answered and that you get the most from the internship experience.

Cons

Long hours, but it depends on the stage of the project. Too many meetings at times

3. "Estimating Intern"

Current Intern - Estimating Intern in Anaheim, CA
    Current Intern - Estimating Intern in Anaheim, CA

I have been working at Turner Construction as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing people and caring company.

Cons

I cannot think of a bad thing to say.

5. "Great Environment, Even Greater Mentors"

Current Employee - Assistant Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

As a recent college graduate, I have been with Turner for less than a year, but I've had the pleasure working with great colleagues. There is a natural emphasis on teamwork and constant learning that has kept me on my toes.

Cons

Since this is the construction industry, your commute is unpredictable year-to-year as project sites change.

6. "Marketing Intern who really enjoyed the work that I did"

Former Intern - Marketing and Sales Intern in Anaheim, CA
    Former Intern - Marketing and Sales Intern in Anaheim, CA

I worked at Turner Construction as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

independent work was always being given to me, and I had great supervisors who were happy to help me learn. They have a very well structured Internship program that is set in place through their university system. I had a lot of help from the IT specialists as well, it appeared that all the departments were just as friendly as Business Development

Cons

My cubicle was very isolated, so I needed to make an effort to actually see anyone in the office. This wasn't so much of a problem because they were in the middle of a move around office spaces, and so it was expected to have some free space.

Advice to Management

Keep up the enthusiasm with the internship program, it was great to have so much involvement from every level of management, from Senior VP to individual supervisors from each department around the area.

"Senior Project Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Turner Construction full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Overall great company, Senior Management wants to do the right thing. Majority of people are great work hard for the team success.

Cons

A lot of clicks that focus on self advancement and not team success. Middle managers use positions for personal gain and ensure advancement is given to those within the click. Although preached all the time there is No real work life balance for most unless part of a click.

Advice to Management

Monitor middle managers dept heads to ensure accurate reporting and inclusion and opportunities of and for all employees. Too many "Exclusive" clicks.

8. "Solid Company To Work For..."

Current Employee - Assistant Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Turner Construction full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great learning environment with the benefit that people do not get pigeon-holed to titles or positions. Employees and their feedback are valued. Time management skills are highly valued, taught and encouraged in order balance work and personal life. This is the place for a well-rounded career. Perks: top benefits package and travel

Cons

Occasionally, dependent on project specific schedule, there can be very long work days, nights and even weekends.

9. "Great place to work, smart and real talented people."

Current Employee - Superintendent in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Superintendent in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Turner Construction full-time

Pros

Great experience. Turner utilizes the newest CM methods and technology.

Cons

Long work hours and travel but that's just the construction industry in general.

Advice to Management

Create SOP's (standard operating procedures) to make it easier for people to bounce around projects.

10. "Turner is a good company with good, hardworking and knowledgeable people, dedicated to getting the job done."

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Turner Construction full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits package is better than most competitors and lots of projects throughout the country. Options are

Cons

As a large company it comes with the bureaucracy associated with it. Multi-level organization spreads responsibilities between too many people sometimes and decisions are not clear. Fortunately, people are very easy going and reasonable, and will give clear directions to find the answers.

Advice to Management

Communication between upper managers and midlevel managers are not great, staffing needs not addressed to the best of their abilities and sometimes it feels like actions are more political rather than for the greater good of the company/employee. Work on the big picture .

"Turner Construction values their employees on a personal level"

Current Employee - Cost Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Cost Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Smart leaders and followers, vast knowledge network available for all employees. Large projects to build and sense of comraderie amongst the project teams.

Cons

Not concentrated at obtaining true engineers (professional engineers with licenses). Some SPD employees do not get the proper training needed to succeed (sink or swim mentality). Too many levels in the corporate heirarchy, which is indicative of a large corporation.

Advice to Management

Company is top heavy. Too many chiefs and not enough Indians.