Turner Construction Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Turner Construction President and CEO Peter J. Davoren
Peter J. Davoren

Pros
Cons
  • Can encourage a work life balance more (in 27 reviews)

• so working for this company you are expected to put in long hours (in 48 reviews)

1. "Review about fresh graduate entering the construction industry"

Former Employee - Field Engineer
    Former Employee - Field Engineer

I worked at Turner Construction full-time

Pros

Good learning experience at the Project Site

Cons

Immediate supervisiors have no patience for people working on the learning curve in the career, bottom line figure is the only thing that matters

Advice to Management

Its best to have mentorship programs for new employees to blend in and understand the company.

"Business Development"

Former Employee - Director of Business Development in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Director of Business Development in San Jose, CA

I worked at Turner Construction (More than a year)

Pros

None. It was horrible. Sexist. Report heavy. Slow plodding outdated company.

Cons

The most sexist, disjointed, unqualified large GC in Cslifornia. Terrible reputation in Silicon Valley and for solid reasons. A lack of engagement by management, thus employees thus poor attitudes throughout.
    Painfully non-communicative, outdated management materials and knowledge. Turner loses work because they refuse to change in an ever-changing world. Outdated and it shows.

Advice to Management

Update software expertise. Focus on clients' project when interviewing for work. Nobody cares to spend time hearing all about TURNER. You're already at the table. Quit talking about yourselves and get into technology as resource to reduce costs. Have a full time BIM expert in SJ. Build a BIM model based on schematics along prior to first meeting with client. Provide ROM then too. Do your homework on THEIR PROJECT, culture, and team involved. Get to know them IN ADVANCE.

3. "Civil General Forman"

Former Employee - General Foreman in Freeport, TX
    Former Employee - General Foreman in Freeport, TX

I worked at Turner Construction part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good people to work with.

Cons

The project manager will not back, stand up for any of problems that come up, General forms r on there on, and will take the fall FOR PM direction. Watch your Back.

Advice to Management

Take charge and grow some balls.
    Back your GF. Help him with the problems, don't fire him.

"The Washington, DC office"

Former Employee - Field Engineer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Field Engineer in Washington, DC

Pros

Great benefits and it's understandable that the costs keep going up. Happening everywhere.

Cons

The D.C. office is very political and I honestly don't know of anyone enjoying working there now.

Advice to Management

Get new management.

6. "Welder"

Former Contractor - Safety in Gonzales, LA
    Former Contractor - Safety in Gonzales, LA

I worked at Turner Construction as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hard working dependable, god fearing father who is looking to take care of his young and beautiful family

Cons

Don't really care for others who don't take safety serious. You only have one life to live it's best to work safely and carefully

Advice to Management

Will not regret giving me a opportunity to be apart of your company.

"Good People but no Stability"

Former Employee - Estimating Engineer in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Estimating Engineer in Reston, VA

Pros

I really enjoyed working with most of the people. Pay and Benefits were good. Very nice office, but open atmosphere. Not a lot of privacy.

Cons

I did not have the tools to do my job. I was provided with Timberline Estimating Software, which has a very limited database. No clear direction from the Management team on what was expected. Each Estimating Leader had different methods, so not a lot of Standards. However, they were working on developing standards.

Advice to Management

Better communication to Employees on what is to be expected of them. More job proformance feedback to the Employees.

"Superintendent"

Current Employee - Superintendent in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Superintendent in Houston, TX

I have been working at Turner Construction (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay and Great benefits great work site staff.

Cons

Sacramento and Oakland offices Horable HR Dishonest HR.

Advice to Management

Be honest to you staff be honest with your dealings. From GM to the field listen for the truth.

9. "HR and Management"

Pros

Good Company as stated by ENR.

Cons

The HR does not have the very basic professional decency to tell their interviewed candidates about their results. It took me 3 months to get an answer about my interview and by then I was zoo tired that I had to beg them to actually reject me and put a closure to all this.
    No coordination between the HR and the Hiring Management Team as they interview international candidates and then tell them that they do not hire people who need sponsorship. The point is international students with 29 months of work visa have the right to work here in USA. But they would prefer local candidates which to me seems like give them the guarantee that they will devote their life to the company. Where as international candidates are even willing to sign a contract that they will stick with that company for a min. of 29 months. I just don't get their view point and I am open to discussion.

Advice to Management

Please don't claim EEO. and Tell your HR team to be a little well versed with the hiring policies for international students.

"Best decision I ever made was leaving Turner"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Turner Construction full-time

Pros

Some decent benefits. Not all of them though.

Cons

HR is run by an Ops guy so nobody is looking out for employees. Everything is about how long you've been there not how well you do your job. Lots of favoritism. They have no interest in new ideas or ways of doing things. If you don't do it their way you end up on someone's s**t list and you can never get off.

Advice to Management

Get a real HR person to come in there and start looking at how you treat people. Raises and promotions should be based on performance not how many years the person has been there, who they're related to, or who likes them.

"How many times can a man turn his head pretending he just doesn't see?"

Current Employee - Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Turner Construction full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Turner offers great health benefits which can be extremely helpful for families. Unfortunately, providing excellent health insurance is where Turner's concern for their employee's families begins and ends. Other than that, I can't think of any other pros.

Cons

As many other posts have suggested, Turner is a great place to work if you are one of the few who have been "chosen." While companies in all industries should review the future success of their employees and help said employees get on the right career path, Turner's way of "anointing" its employees is based on outdated perceptions instead of rational characteristics and strengths. Senior management runs the company similar to the way a high school bully runs the playground during recess. Those in the Turner boys club who scream the loudest, intimidate the largest amount of people and squash any progress or alternative ways of approaching work are held in the highest regard.

Advice to Management

Turner's main two resources are middle aged people who can't go anywhere else and twenty something's who they can take advantage of. Sadly, this is a recipe for failure and I would suggest that senior management begin adopting modern workplace practices as this company is not and will not be able to recruit or retain top talent. Morale at Turner, particularly the NYC office, is at an all time low so senior management needs to realize that simply going through the motions with "connectivity" is a waste of time if none of the employee feedback is recognized.