Turner Construction Reviews | Glassdoor

Turner Construction President and CEO Peter J. Davoren
Peter J. Davoren

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Maintaining a work life balance (in 34 reviews)

• Need to put in long hours to satisfy clients (in 52 reviews)

"Work hard, play harder."

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Seattle, WA

Pros

At most constructions companies you can expect to work hard, long hours. Turner though, allows me to get off when I need to and focuses on balancing outside life. We get plenty of time off. This year, for example, we had paid days off work that no other construction company I’ve seen has got off including Presidents Day, Veterans Day and Good Friday. Quarterly, the company takes us out for the day to play; we’ve been boating, kayaking and out to the arcade. I plan on playing on the softball team next year that flys out to Cincinnati to play against 20 other business units form around the county. Turner is a very balanced place to work.

Cons

Turner is a very large corporation and you can feel pretty small. Here in Seattle the main office is rather clicky and difficult to assert oneself. Some will be frustrated that individual contributions are not valued like they would be in a small company. I saved the company my salary worth of revenue in the first few months without anyone even noticing. Most of the people I have seen leave do so because they are not advancing as fast as they think they should. The slow growth can be attributed to a larger system lade climbing that is in place.

Advice to Management

I dont have hardly any contact with them. They seem to lead us in a profitable direction, I just dont know them.

"A company that genuinely cares about the community and its employees."

Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Arlington, VA

Pros

Life-Work Balance and diversity is top most priority in the company.

Cons

Limited career advancement in Marketing/Business Development.

Advice to Management

Stronger/More focused training plans/programs directed to non-construction positions.

3. "Turner makes people better builders"

Current Employee - Project Engineer
    Current Employee - Project Engineer

Pros

Turner has alot of room to move up and the heathcare is extremely good. Work/Life balance is getting better by the year

Cons

There is no set standards for moving up as it is all based on reviews done by different people every year.

Advice to Management

Find a way to make the evaluation process standarized from all reviewers perhaps by having a class on what should be expected from people at all levels rather then just the website.

4. "Great Job Opportunity"

Current Employee - Cost Engineer in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Cost Engineer in Arlington, VA

Pros

Training and Experience. Turner opens all doors and allows you to fully engage yourself in all aspects of the company with ease.

Cons

Turner Construction engages itself in many time sensitive projects where additional hours are needed by all employees that can exceed the 40 hour typical work week..

Advice to Management

Turner has a tendency to train the best and then those individuals leave the company in search of more compensation for their efforts. Find a way to either compensate better or retain the employees past 5+ years.

5. "Department Head"

Pros

There are great people at Turner. The friendships I've made are what have kept me there so long, and I know I'm not alone in that thought. There is a lot of opportunity and so many paths to the top.

Cons

Benefits are not that great, tuition reimbursement is poor, but they are probably comparable to other construction companies. Pay is also comparable to the industry, but you have to fight for your promotions and raises. At the end of the day, the squeaky wheel gets the oil.

Advice to Management

Improve your tuition reimbursement program. It hasn't changed in decades, even with inflation of tuition costs (pathetic, no?) Treat people fairly, and give everyone the opportunity to grow and improve. Do away with the forced rankings - it's what keeps the stars on the same heads and limits the opportunities for everyone else.

"Accountant"

Former Employee - Assistant Project Accountant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Project Accountant in New York, NY

Pros

-Independence and little day to day supervision
    -Direct contact with company executives
    -Work daily with project managers and project executives
    -good salary for experience and among peers

Cons

-time lost traveling to department meetings at corporate office.
    -division between construction departments and finance almost like two differnt companies at times
    -not matched with projects that are closer to where you live and easier to get to
    -little incentive to have the project done faster because bonus is set and not based on productivity

Advice to Management

conference calls for department meetings.
    Allow requests to work on specific projects. A happy employee is a better employee. Allow younger employees to be promoted when positions open up and replace the lower positions. This will allow new employees to be trained properly limit mistakes and allow you to mold the employees into the type of worker you want.

7. "Everyone should be so lucky to work for this construction Giant"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

Opprtunity to work on unique & challenging Projects that many GC's & Cm"s will not take on
    Work Life & Personal Life balance, in this business, you know when the time is right to take time off or work 80 hrs, it's a choice you make when you get in the business & it's no different at other contractors
    Turner is hiring young blood and integrating with veterans with knowledge to share, works well for all

Cons

working for a large Corporation which has & follows rules may be difficult for some, or you can work for a privately held firm where anything goes, if you have integrity & morals, this place is for you

Advice to Management

keep doing what you're doing

8. "Great insight into working as a Project Engineer."

Former Employee - Engineering Assistant in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Engineering Assistant in Santa Clara, CA

Pros

Big Company. Big projects. Has the infrastructure to support a high number of new hires every year.

Cons

Big company. It is hard to quickly rise in the ranks.

Advice to Management

Internships are fabulous and other companies really respect the Turner name.

"I am very satisfied with the way my company has treated me so far."

Current Employee - Assistant Project Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Assistant Project Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Turner Construction full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are amazing
    Lots of offices worldwide for possible travel or relocation options
    Pay is decent, respectful will yearly opportunities for improvement
    Generally good people of all ages and ethinicities

Cons

Easier to get "lost" in such a large company
    The busyness of the construction atmosphere can leading to training by fire. Not always a lot of time available by superiors to train subordinates. Work like balance is not the best on busy projects.

10. "Great company to work for...great benefits and training."

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Turner Construction full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Constantly in training to keep skills sharp. Upper management did a great job of informing us of jobs the company had acquired. Great on getting feedback. Very helpful in all aspects of job.

Cons

No cons. It is a hard time to be working in construction with the economy and all. Loved my job.

Advice to Management

None