Turning Point Family CARE Reviews | Glassdoor

Turning Point Family CARE Reviews

2.7
Frank Viera

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "A great agency to work for!"

Current Employee - Licensed Professional Counselor in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Licensed Professional Counselor in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Turning Point Family CARE full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

TPFC employs a diverse clinical team who are person centered, well educated on evidenced based and promising practices and really care about the clients they serve. TPFC provides lots of clinical supervision and training opportunities and I really feel supported as an employee.

Cons

Nothing negative about this company. They have continued to provide services to people in need and support their emp0loyees. Several times, service rates were cut and the company just absorbed the loss and never passed that loss onto the employees. The client never had any hiccups or knew their services were in jeopardy. So many companies have not paid their employees and closed their doors in recent years. I am so glad I work for TPFC, they have integrity and I'm proud of the work we do in our community!

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! I have really enjoyed working for this company!

2. "Large Promises and no payoff"

Current Employee - Certified Peer Support Specialist in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Certified Peer Support Specialist in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Turning Point Family CARE part-time

Pros

It's really hard to think of any, as I originally interviewed for a higher level position, and was promised that once they can create one I'd get it. Opportunity for CEU's with Relias, friendly staff. OPT and NP's are fairly good about communicating with Peer Support Specialists.

Cons

Supervisors are overworked and are extremely hard to get in touch with. Too many things and clients are lost in the mess. The population is very very difficult. Supervisors expect a lot and put you in dangerous situations. Supervisor's dismiss all employee concern's as irrelevant, making the experience for clients unsatisfactory. Supervisor's tend to promise the world and cannot deliver a sliver of it. Communication breakdown is prevalent. It's well known that you will be discharged if you miss 3 appointments in a row. However, you can skirt that rule by attending medication management in between missed OPT.

Advice to Management

Each department needs it's own supervisor that focuses solely on that department. Hire more QP's and stop hiring so many OPT's that there isn't enough work. Enforce the discharge rule. Listen to employees and stop making large promises you cannot keep.

"Team Lead"

I have been working at Turning Point Family CARE full-time

Pros

Hard to think of any current pros.

Cons

Company is going through alot of changes, people are quitting, morale is bad.

Advice to Management

Hire people instead of putting unnecessary responsibilities on staff.

"Therapist"

I worked at Turning Point Family CARE full-time

Pros

Originally, the opportunity for free trainings was the only positive aspect of this agency. However, they abuse this privilege and require an unrealistic amount of trainings. During your first few months of hire, you will be expected to complete over 40 trainings, ranging from 1 to 4 hours, in addition to the immediate expectation to meet billing requirements.

Cons

The company will express the importance of values and ethics. However, this is very untrue. Employees are pressured to meet unrealistic billing and documentation requirements. I rarely have been praised or rewarded for consistently meeting requirements. However, I am consistently given additional tasks or micromanaged on things. It is demoralizing to find out that working 50+ hours per week barely meets the company's minimum expectations. They cannot sustain employees due to their unreasonable expectations. Therefore, employees who stay are burdened with increased work to pick up the slack. The salary employees have been given additional responsibilities as they continue to hire people in contract positions. As a salary employee, I work every day of the week.
    The benefits plan is a poor and expensive high deductible plan. No holidays off and only 16 PTO days, which include sick, vacation, and holidays. No reimbursements for mileage, cell phone or any additional costs. Therefore, it costs employees money to help them make money. They require you to use your personal cell phone, which creates a very unprofessional work environment. Therefore, you're unable to have a professional voice mail that instructs consumers to contact additional numbers in case of an emergency. The on-call schedule is unfair as only salary employees are on call with no extra pay for the time spent. You will be expected to be on call almost every month for the entire week. Agency sets poor on call boundaries with consumers. You will frequently receive calls in the middle of the night for non crisis related issues, like rescheduling appointments. You also are expected to use your personal computer. There are significant issues with this, as some people may not have virus protectors and it is not provided by this agency. Also, personal computers can be used by an entire household which is concerning when there may be confidential information on them. The company's programs cannot be used on some computers, like apple products, and require many different browsers. Just more things that make working here more difficult. If you take pride in your work ethic, professionalism and providing quality care, this will not be a sufficient environment to achieve those goals. This company has taken a turn for the worst and I wouldn't recommend it on my worst enemy.

Advice to Management

Management needs to care more about their employees and really understand their values, as they have lost this. This toxic work environment leads to high turnover. Rather than working to retain employees, they shift the expectations onto the employees who are still around.

"Was a great place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Turning Point Family CARE full-time

Pros

Prior to new management it was an excellent company to work. The new leaders at TPFC are clueless to what's needed to run a mental health facility

Cons

management is not forthcoming, benefits are horrible and employee's are made to feel they are just a product on a conveyor belt.

Advice to Management

Bad decision to sell the company.

6. "Company with potential!"

Former Employee - Team Lead in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Team Lead in Raleigh, NC

Pros

Growing company; met many nice people; frequent free trainings; autonomy; pays mileage

Cons

growing too fast; policy and procedure not firm; expectations not always reasonable; no yearly raises

Advice to Management

more attention to employee satisfaction to retain good workers

7. "Great Mental Health Agency"

Pros

Great company for those that are seeking behavioral services, offers ongoing training, staff is friendly and knowlegdable. Get for those therapist other's that are licensed professionals

Cons

No room for advancement, salaries are not great unless you are licensed.

8. "It is really nice working with youth and helping them out."

Current Employee - Staff in Cedar City, UT
    Current Employee - Staff in Cedar City, UT

I have been working at Turning Point Family CARE full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is nice to work with troubled youth that need help. It helps me understand about myself as well.

Cons

Sometimes the kids don;t listen and it can be really care to keep the place in control.

Advice to Management

Advice management would be to work morning shifts where it is easier to deal with the kids.

"Ethical company, quality staff"

Current Contractor - Mental Health Counselor in Raleigh, NC
    Current Contractor - Mental Health Counselor in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Turning Point Family CARE as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Open to improvement, cares about community and staff, leader in community mental health, focused on continual training for staff, consistent efforts to respond positively to changing laws and regulations for mental health

Cons

Most workers are contract workers and payment is only received if clients show up for appointments (which is unreliable). No paid time off or holiday pay unless salaried staff, no health insurance or benefits unless salaried.

Advice to Management

Reward staff who work hard, increase benefits and pay to keep good staff

10. "Mental healthcare community based agency"

Former Employee - Human Resources Director in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Human Resources Director in Durham, NC

Pros

Turning Point Adolescent Center was an excciting and rearding compnay. The employees worked as a team to get the job done. The most rewarding part is the community being served. Some of the most qualified personnel provide top-notch mental health expertise to the community.

Cons

I can't really state anything as a downside other than, the very community being served are youth in desaparate need of assitance. The envirnoment is a fast-pace on your feet place. The agency was under new management during my employment and when I depated was having a great run within the industry.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Continue to communicate with staff and provide continous training to staff in order to have the best workers in the industry.