Turnitin Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
Turnitin Chairman & CEO Chris Caren
Chris Caren

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The work life balance offered by the company is second to none (in 21 reviews)

• Great people, great company, great place to work (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • but overall the sales team and management is going through a "professionalization" that is very exciting personally to me (in 4 reviews)

• There has been some worry around the office with some turnover, but given the changes in the tech stack, it's to be expected (in 4 reviews)

1. "Exciting ride!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Turnitin full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is a fantastic company going through many changes. Our leaders are world class and truly dedicated to improvement in every sense of the word for every individual.
    Those that have stayed understand that change can be painful and it is worth the work it takes.
    New team members can see that most everyone is excited about the changes and growth.
    We are a stronger customer-centric organization focused on improving education.
    We are updating processes and strategies to ensure our schools and the teachers working with students are successful.
    We are updating technologies and products offered to educators around the world.
    It is exciting to be a part of such a large team dedicated to education.

Cons

Seeing a few straggling negative reviews from legacy employees. Work towards change by either addressing your angst with leaders or perhaps make a change in career.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. Management commitment to our growth as a company and to each one of us is present and strong. The transparency provided and openness to hearing what we need to personally grow in our careers is appreciated and will prove to be the strength needed for continued excellence.

2. "Excellent place to work"

I worked at Turnitin full-time

Pros

Office has an epic view of the SF Bay, people are co-operative and friendly, free snacks!

Cons

Frequent management changes and re-organizations, office has an open plan making it difficult to concentrate.

Advice to Management

When key staff leave or are let go, there should be an announcement and/or discussion rather than "black bagging" where they just disappear and are not replaced.

"Sales"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Turnitin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are nice and the work balance is good.

Cons

The compensation is not great. The company culture has suffered in the last couple years.

Advice to Management

You're doing your best. The company hasn't provided a lot of support,so it's not your fault.

Jun 13, 2017 – SVP of Sales

I really like getting specific feedback so we can figure out how to improve. In the last year, here’s what we’ve done so far: increased every sales person’s OTE to bring it to market levels, invested... More

4. "A company that cares"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Turnitin full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was impressed when the CEO made it very clear the top priority for Turnitin is to make a positive difference in the education space. It's sad, but the norm in the seems to be for companies to value revenue growth over all other metrics. Here we value customer retention!

The culture here also values employees! Between silly things like Yoga once a week, to important things like an HR team that is proactive about answering questions when you're having a kid. Did I mention that they pay 100% of maternity leave? Yeah, that's right, the company doesn't just say they care, they really do.

Diversity is a thing here. Too many tech companies consist of the demographic of; age 30, white/asian, male, and nothing else. All walks of life fill the office, and with that, all sorts of ideas are shared.

Cons

A slightly older company, so change takes a bit longer to happen. This isn't because the company isn't nimble when it comes to product development, its just that processes have built up layers compared to 2-3 year old companies.

Advice to Management

Be as involved as you can with day to day activities while still being able to see the forest for the trees.

Jun 13, 2017 – SVP People

Thanks so much for your feedback. We are really focused on creating a great culture and your feedback helps guide us towards what is really important.

5. "Great company!"

Current Employee - Product Support in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Product Support in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Turnitin part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company! They treat you real well, people are easy to get along with.

Cons

Interdepartmental communication could use improvement

6. "Hello from Pittsburgh!"

Current Employee - Principal Research Scientist in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Principal Research Scientist in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Turnitin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I work at Turnitin's Pittsburgh office -- currently around 30 people, focused on our Revision Assistant product. I get to work on interesting engineering and research problems, and have an impact tens of thousands of student writers in classrooms around the world. We have a healthy, startup-flavored culture, with the job-security and infrastructure of a larger company. We operate as a collection of small, close-knit teams working with each other, with minimal (but nonzero) hierarchy and an always-ready-to-adapt process.

Cons

There's a bit of a gap between this office and the rest of the company -- we're working on closing it, but California feels like a bit of an alien mothership sometimes.

Jun 13, 2017 – SVP People

Hello from the alien mothership!
    Would love your thoughts on how to make us all feel like one. I"ll head out to Pittsburgh in July, but would welcome any ideas you have now.
    Thanks! Anne

7. "Great Work-Life Balance; Values Education"

I have been working at Turnitin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It is extremely challenging to find a tech company with a good work-life balance. Over the three years I've been working at Turnitin, I've been able to achieve a wonderful professional and personal life. Turnitin has cultivated the tech culture through company gatherings, in-house food/beverages, games, and great health benefits. My colleagues at Turnitin are some of the best I've ever worked with on both a personal and professional level. However, what I appreciate the most is that Turnitin (an educational company) supports the ongoing education of their employees. In my opinion, this is a win-win scenario for the employee AND the company.

Cons

It would benefit the company to have more clearly defined pathways and opportunities for employee growth.

Advice to Management

There's a ton of amazing talent here! Continue to cultivate that and promote within.

Jun 13, 2017 – SVP People

Totally agree with you on career paths and it's definitely on the list of things I want to tackle. Please stop by and let me know if you have any specific ideas as we're just starting to work on... More

"Proceed with caution"

I have been working at Turnitin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Good benefits
    -Nice office
    -Easy, Low stress work
    -BARTable

Turnitin is a great rest stop if you need to keep money coming in while you work on some other areas of your life. Maybe you have family issues and need to spend more time at home. Turnitin has great work life balance. The work is a piece of cake and not challenging at all. People are allowed to work from home when needed without any drama.

Maybe you need to get into shape. 24hr fitness is one block away and we receive gym membership reimbursement. Some of us run lake Merritt at lunch and workout together. Trunitin can be very supporting with the healthy lifestyle stuff.

Once you get yourself right pop back into the job market and find that dream job.

Cons

-Ancient technology
    -Minimal career growth
    -A few toxic managers, Some are abusive

DO NOT join this company looking for professional growth.

Two warnings

-The negative reviews posted on glassdoor are true. I have watched frustration turn into tears as people are pushed to their limits and had a front row seat as talented co-workers slowly become disgruntled or bored then leave for a better opportunity.

-There is a person who works in the Oakland office that can only be described as pure evil.

Advice to Management

Life is all about growth and leaning. Learn from the reviews here and the mistakes that were made and do the right thing next time whether it's at Turnitin or at your next company.

Jun 13, 2017 – SVP People

Thanks for taking the time to leave your feedback. I'm really new here and would like to understand more. If you are comfortable, please reach out for a chat. Thanks - Anne

9. "Turnitin is a pretty great place to work"

Current Employee - Accountant in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Accountant in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Turnitin full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Friendly people (for the most part--you'll always get some bad apples)
    - Good pay
    - Great benefits: regular catered lunches, well-stocked snacks, generous health and dental, maternity/paternity leave policy is second to none, gym reimbursements.
    - Work/Life balance

Cons

- Lacking in management training for managers, which can result in difficult transitions to management.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

Jun 21, 2017 – CFO

Thanks for the feedback! Your comment on management training was spot on, and I hope you or your manager were able to participate in our just-launched introductory management training course. This... More

"Good until you have some sort of rank"

I worked at Turnitin full-time

Pros

Great place to start. People are friendly. Everyone wants to stop plagiarism!

Cons

After a while, you'll see the internal power struggles and will be placed on a side (us vs them thinking). It's a hostile work environment in disguise. The Customer Success management is no good because talking crap behind your back and backstabbing. The HR Leadership is no good because Top leaders don't really listen to an individual employee. It's more of a "herd" satisfaction where some people get some might be satisfied, but others are upset. Sales team is a revolving door. The product has a volley of bugs.