Turnitin Reviews | Glassdoor

4.3
Turnitin Chairman & CEO Chris Caren
Chris Caren

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work / life balance is very good as many people who work there have families" (in 24 reviews)

• "Great people work here (but these are a dying species) that truly care about the business and product" (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "There has been some worry around the office with some turnover, but given the changes in the tech stack, it's to be expected" (in 5 reviews)

• "The company culture has suffered in the last couple years" (in 4 reviews)

"Great place to work!"

I have been working at Turnitin full-time

Pros

The big pros for me of working at Turnitin are the meaningful work we do and the great work/life balance.

Life is already hard for teachers. At Turnitin we get to make their life significantly easier with grading tools and originality checking, which saves teachers tons of time, so they can do their best at what they do.

Further, Turnitin is not a "burn the midnight oil" kind of place. We believe in good hard work, but do so within normal 40-hour weeks. This balance has been quite good for the many years I've been here.

Cons

No company is perfect. At Turnitin we do have to deal with the same imperfections as other companies that have been around for while, like brittle legacy systems and maybe too many product directions at once. But on the whole it's good.

Advice to Management

Sometimes I think folks forget that our main product is for checking plagiarism; it's the reason why so many customers use us and we do it better than anyone out there. My advice to management is to ensure proper resources are spent refining and improving on this core competency.

Jun 12, 2018 – CFO

Thanks for sharing your experience! And your point is well taken about the focus on our originality service. In terms of resource allocation, we're generally looking to balance three things... More

"Good company in a tailspin"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I worked at Turnitin full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great collaborative team environment. Some really amazing hard-working people. The office is very much in line with the high-tech office vibe and bennies. company offers good compensation/benefits

Cons

Bad investment spiralling out of control. Ignored the impact on existing employees to see others let go. Disappointing to see the drastic change and "sweep under the rug" mentality

3. "Progressive & Growing"

I have been working at Turnitin full-time

Pros

Turnitin has excellent top level leadership that communicates well with employees and knows when change is needed. The company strategizes to stay on top of the market and positioning its Saas. Well known and reputable company in the education space with a great mission for secondary education and higher education. Variety of company perks.

Cons

Company has growing pains with having to change processes and structure. Department organization structures can be mis-aligned.

Advice to Management

Make sure departments are organized for efficiency and effectiveness.

Jun 11, 2018 – SVP People

Thanks so much for your review - I am sincerely happy you are having such a positive experience. I am especially happy you think communications is going well – it is something we are working hard... More

4. "Great Company Run by Great People"

I have been working at Turnitin full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working at Turnitin has been a blast. There is never a shortage of fun projects to work on and we're building a product that helps the industry. TII has great company ethics and doesn't seek revenue streams that compromise our core values and core product.

* A product you can be proud to tell your friends about.
    * Promotes from within.
    * Diverse technologies used.
    * Friendly staff with no drama.
    * Competition is almost nonexistent.

And all that other tech-company goodness like snacks, excellent benefits, frequent events, and a fun location.

Cons

Turnitin is an older, more mature company than many Bay Area tech companies.

Jun 11, 2018 – SVP People

Thanks so much for the positive review! I think we may need to move you over onto the People Team to help with our outreach efforts!
    Seriously – really appreciate how specific you are in your... More

5. "Fun, interesting company!"

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Turnitin full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company lives and breathes its own mission around integrity. The transparency and intent to continue to improve the way we support students and schools, and other customers is genuine.

The hiring process for this company was more than twice as long and arduous as any other company I've interviewed with in my career. However, once I became an employee it was very clear why. The culture is fantastic. They keep a fairly flat structure. It's a friendly, cooperative, team environment. Employees are kind, helpful and are not afraid to work hard. A bad hire could really spoil the energy so they take a lot of time to ensure they are bringing in the right type of employee.

The services the company offers are, for the most part, unique and there is a demand for them, so it's a fun environment where you are able to focus on continuing to improve rather than competition.

Cons

I did take a pay cut to come work at Turnitin

6. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer

I have been working at Turnitin full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly group of people who care about what they work on.

Cons

No cons to add here

7. "An Evolving Ed Tech Company with Heart"

I have been working at Turnitin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Leadership changes in the past few years are driving us forward at a rapid pace.
    Great new technology foundation.
    Listening to our customers more every day.
    Provides a great service to our end users.
    Terrific global teams!

Cons

Still on the smaller side for the size of service we provide and that cause limitations.

Advice to Management

Keep improving your listening! It has come a long way, but is never too much. Also, consistency in the customer experience is getting much better, keep that up too!

Jun 18, 2018 – SVP People

Thanks so much for your review. I totally agree listening is incredibly important. We are working hard to ensure all voices are heard through active engagement with Glassdoor, our engagement... More

8. "The Best Company"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Turnitin full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and incentives
    Amazing culture
    Fun atmosphere
    Life/work balance
    Awesome tech
    Empowered to get the job done
    Strong focus on entrepreneurial values
    Occasional, but often, free lunches
    Extremely focused and intelligent executive/management team

Cons

Minor growing pains with little negative impact

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

Jun 18, 2018 – SVP People

Thanks so much - so happy to hear things are going well in the Austin office!

9. "Great company with forward thinking ideas... really cares about employees"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Turnitin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Turnitin is established enough to have decent benefits like 401k matching and a reliable product. They consistently strive to do better by their employees and offer regular socials, catered lunches, a very well stocked snack bar, paternity / maternity leave, etc. The company is full of incredibly smart and talented people, many of whom have been with the company for 5 or 10+ years... the duration of employment of a lot of the people who work there is one of the things that got me to join. Work / life balance is very good as many people who work there have families.

Cons

A bit formal if you're used to a hectic startup... stock options are not the best as they are a bit ambiguous...

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! Good transparency on what is going on with the company and where we're at.

10. "Company that is reinventing itself in very compelling ways."

I have been working at Turnitin full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company was a bit crusty both in terms of its products and policies but has changed over its management team, completely rearchitected its products and doubled the support team. Everything is headed in the right direction. Also great benefits (can you say massage?), a great office space and snacks. I love working here.

Cons

There are some people still stuck in the old ways but they are beginning to come around.

Advice to Management

Keep going in the direction you are now.