Turnitin Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
Turnitin Chairman & CEO Chris Caren
Chris Caren

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work / life balance is very good as many people who work there have families (in 23 reviews)

• Great people, great company, great place to work (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • There has been some worry around the office with some turnover, but given the changes in the tech stack, it's to be expected (in 5 reviews)

• The company culture has suffered in the last couple years (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Exciting ride!"

I have been working at Turnitin full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is a fantastic company going through many changes. Our leaders are world class and truly dedicated to improvement in every sense of the word for every individual.
    Those that have stayed understand that change can be painful and it is worth the work it takes.
    New team members can see that most everyone is excited about the changes and growth.
    We are a stronger customer-centric organization focused on improving education.
    We are updating processes and strategies to ensure our schools and the teachers working with students are successful.
    We are updating technologies and products offered to educators around the world.
    It is exciting to be a part of such a large team dedicated to education.

Cons

Seeing a few straggling negative reviews from legacy employees. Work towards change by either addressing your angst with leaders or perhaps make a change in career.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. Management commitment to our growth as a company and to each one of us is present and strong. The transparency provided and openness to hearing what we need to personally grow in our careers is appreciated and will prove to be the strength needed for continued excellence.

Turnitin Response

Sep 12, 2017 – SVP People

Wow - thanks so much for such great feedback. We will work hard to continue to meet or beat your expectations and continue serving the education community.

2. "Progressive & Growing"

I have been working at Turnitin full-time

Pros

Turnitin has excellent top level leadership that communicates well with employees and knows when change is needed. The company strategizes to stay on top of the market and positioning its Saas. Well known and reputable company in the education space with a great mission for secondary education and higher education. Variety of company perks.

Cons

Company has growing pains with having to change processes and structure. Department organization structures can be mis-aligned.

Advice to Management

Make sure departments are organized for efficiency and effectiveness.

3. "Great Company Run by Great People"

I have been working at Turnitin full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working at Turnitin has been a blast. There is never a shortage of fun projects to work on and we're building a product that helps the industry. TII has great company ethics and doesn't seek revenue streams that compromise our core values and core product.

* A product you can be proud to tell your friends about.
    * Promotes from within.
    * Diverse technologies used.
    * Friendly staff with no drama.
    * Competition is almost nonexistent.

And all that other tech-company goodness like snacks, excellent benefits, frequent events, and a fun location.

Cons

Turnitin is an older, more mature company than many Bay Area tech companies.

4. "Fun, interesting company!"

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Turnitin full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company lives and breathes its own mission around integrity. The transparency and intent to continue to improve the way we support students and schools, and other customers is genuine.

The hiring process for this company was more than twice as long and arduous as any other company I've interviewed with in my career. However, once I became an employee it was very clear why. The culture is fantastic. They keep a fairly flat structure. It's a friendly, cooperative, team environment. Employees are kind, helpful and are not afraid to work hard. A bad hire could really spoil the energy so they take a lot of time to ensure they are bringing in the right type of employee.

The services the company offers are, for the most part, unique and there is a demand for them, so it's a fun environment where you are able to focus on continuing to improve rather than competition.

Cons

I did take a pay cut to come work at Turnitin

5. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer

I have been working at Turnitin full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly group of people who care about what they work on.

Cons

No cons to add here

6. "An Evolving Ed Tech Company with Heart"

I have been working at Turnitin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Leadership changes in the past few years are driving us forward at a rapid pace.
    Great new technology foundation.
    Listening to our customers more every day.
    Provides a great service to our end users.
    Terrific global teams!

Cons

Still on the smaller side for the size of service we provide and that cause limitations.

Advice to Management

Keep improving your listening! It has come a long way, but is never too much. Also, consistency in the customer experience is getting much better, keep that up too!

7. "The Best Company"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Turnitin full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and incentives
    Amazing culture
    Fun atmosphere
    Life/work balance
    Awesome tech
    Empowered to get the job done
    Strong focus on entrepreneurial values
    Occasional, but often, free lunches
    Extremely focused and intelligent executive/management team

Cons

Minor growing pains with little negative impact

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

8. "Great company with forward thinking ideas... really cares about employees"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Turnitin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Turnitin is established enough to have decent benefits like 401k matching and a reliable product. They consistently strive to do better by their employees and offer regular socials, catered lunches, a very well stocked snack bar, paternity / maternity leave, etc. The company is full of incredibly smart and talented people, many of whom have been with the company for 5 or 10+ years... the duration of employment of a lot of the people who work there is one of the things that got me to join. Work / life balance is very good as many people who work there have families.

Cons

A bit formal if you're used to a hectic startup... stock options are not the best as they are a bit ambiguous...

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! Good transparency on what is going on with the company and where we're at.

9. "Company that is reinventing itself in very compelling ways."

I have been working at Turnitin full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company was a bit crusty both in terms of its products and policies but has changed over its management team, completely rearchitected its products and doubled the support team. Everything is headed in the right direction. Also great benefits (can you say massage?), a great office space and snacks. I love working here.

Cons

There are some people still stuck in the old ways but they are beginning to come around.

Advice to Management

Keep going in the direction you are now.

"These good reviews are all fake"

Current Employee - Corporate in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Corporate in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Turnitin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are some really good people here trying to give constructive feedback to improve the working environment for everyone

Cons

We have now officially been told to ONLY post happy thoughts on GlassDoor and anything bad, go to your manager (so keep your mouth shut). Be warned-- if you give them feedback they will only use it against you and then figure out a way to fire you. We have feedback systems and open door policy but managers and execs will come for you if you dare to be honest, so people vent here and hope that will make a difference. It wont.

Advice to Management

Start to work for your whole team, not just the senior leaders. We came to Turnitin to work for a mission driven company and you make it clear everyday that you dont actually support those values.