Turnitin Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
Turnitin Chairman & CEO Chris Caren
Chris Caren

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The work life balance offered by the company is second to none (in 21 reviews)

• Great people, great company, great place to work (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • There has been some worry around the office with some turnover, but given the changes in the tech stack, it's to be expected (in 5 reviews)

• The company culture has suffered in the last couple years (in 4 reviews)

1. "The BEST"

I have been working at Turnitin full-time

Pros

relaxed environment, smart colleagues, free food, ping pong table and beautiful SF view from the office.

Cons

sometimes office is too quiet

Advice to Management

you're doing a great job!

Jan 15, 2018 – SVP People

Thanks so much for the great review. We love our beautiful Oakland office as well.
    Interesting feedback on the office being too quiet...we want to balance between people being able to get their... More

2. "Harassment is now our accepted culture"

I have been working at Turnitin full-time

Pros

Work/life balance, nice coworkers and some managers who are trying to do the right thing

Cons

People are in charge who don't seem to know what they are doing or maybe they just dont care. They allow harassment in all types to go on with only slaps on the wrist when complaints are made. The company protects some managers/execs with no limits and then fires others because they aren't popular with the right people. Employees work hard towards goals and then have the goals changed when they are close with no agknowlegment or celebration.

Advice to Management

Be consistent and fair with your employees and hold your managers accountable for their behavior. Start promoting good people instead of hiring your friends.

3. "Sales Executive"

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Turnitin full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Solid Company reputation. Good product. Competitive pay and benefits.

Cons

Changing targets, lack of focus, micromanagement of sales staff

Advice to Management

Don't say you want consultative sellers to develop large long term relationships and then require monthly and weekly sales numbers. Especially outside normal buying window for K12.

"Company with harassment-enabling culture, little engineering talent and no direction"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Oakland, CA

I worked at Turnitin full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free drinks and awesome view. One engineering team, the original team who made Turnitin what it is, has a lot of smart people. They are literally keeping the lights on.

Cons

Joined as new grad engineer and had a great manager. Unfortunately, that was the only highlight of my experience.

The company culture allows harassment without any repercussions. I experienced it and reported it and nothing ever happened, so the harassment kept up. I finally called it quits and looked for a new job. I am not the first to leave because of harassment and will not be the last,

The company doesn't do much technical interviews at the more senior level for engineers, which caused multiple bad hires that seriously affected morale and the direction of the business.

The business itself has a lot of potential, but bad hires and nepotism led to only one team (tribe) that has actual engineers. All the other teams / tribes in the company have combined maybe 2-3 good engineers, the rest are code-artisans who look up Google and force things like Scala, Kotlin and other new-fangled buzzwords in the tech stack without actually knowing how to apply them correctly, which caused a lot of headaches.

I don't see the ship turning around with the continued nepotism and lack of engineering talent. The business stemmed from Berkeley grads who have all left and the executives are currently throwing stuff at the wall and hoping that something sticks.

I don't see this company being profitable for more than 3-4 years.

Advice to Management

Take harassment seriously. No consequences only leads to more harassment and talent (any that's left) will leave. Hire people who know what they're doing, don't hire through nepotism. Have an actual interview process with actual technical questions, a no hire is a lot better than a bad hire.

Oct 23, 2017 – SVP People

Thank you for taking the time to write about your time at Turnitin. I am extremely sorry this was your experience.
     We have zero tolerance for harassment of any kind. In checking through our HR... More

"Exciting ride!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Turnitin full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is a fantastic company going through many changes. Our leaders are world class and truly dedicated to improvement in every sense of the word for every individual.
    Those that have stayed understand that change can be painful and it is worth the work it takes.
    New team members can see that most everyone is excited about the changes and growth.
    We are a stronger customer-centric organization focused on improving education.
    We are updating processes and strategies to ensure our schools and the teachers working with students are successful.
    We are updating technologies and products offered to educators around the world.
    It is exciting to be a part of such a large team dedicated to education.

Cons

Seeing a few straggling negative reviews from legacy employees. Work towards change by either addressing your angst with leaders or perhaps make a change in career.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. Management commitment to our growth as a company and to each one of us is present and strong. The transparency provided and openness to hearing what we need to personally grow in our careers is appreciated and will prove to be the strength needed for continued excellence.

Sep 12, 2017 – SVP People

Wow - thanks so much for such great feedback. We will work hard to continue to meet or beat your expectations and continue serving the education community.

6. "Excellent place to work"

I worked at Turnitin full-time

Pros

Office has an epic view of the SF Bay, people are co-operative and friendly, free snacks!

Cons

Frequent management changes and re-organizations, office has an open plan making it difficult to concentrate.

Advice to Management

When key staff leave or are let go, there should be an announcement and/or discussion rather than "black bagging" where they just disappear and are not replaced.

"Sales"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Turnitin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are nice and the work balance is good.

Cons

The compensation is not great. The company culture has suffered in the last couple years.

Advice to Management

You're doing your best. The company hasn't provided a lot of support,so it's not your fault.

Jun 13, 2017 – SVP of Sales

I really like getting specific feedback so we can figure out how to improve. In the last year, here’s what we’ve done so far: increased every sales person’s OTE to bring it to market levels, invested... More

8. "A company that cares"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Turnitin full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was impressed when the CEO made it very clear the top priority for Turnitin is to make a positive difference in the education space. It's sad, but the norm in the seems to be for companies to value revenue growth over all other metrics. Here we value customer retention!

The culture here also values employees! Between silly things like Yoga once a week, to important things like an HR team that is proactive about answering questions when you're having a kid. Did I mention that they pay 100% of maternity leave? Yeah, that's right, the company doesn't just say they care, they really do.

Diversity is a thing here. Too many tech companies consist of the demographic of; age 30, white/asian, male, and nothing else. All walks of life fill the office, and with that, all sorts of ideas are shared.

Cons

A slightly older company, so change takes a bit longer to happen. This isn't because the company isn't nimble when it comes to product development, its just that processes have built up layers compared to 2-3 year old companies.

Advice to Management

Be as involved as you can with day to day activities while still being able to see the forest for the trees.

Jun 13, 2017 – SVP People

Thanks so much for your feedback. We are really focused on creating a great culture and your feedback helps guide us towards what is really important.

9. "Great company!"

Current Employee - Product Support in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Product Support in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Turnitin part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company! They treat you real well, people are easy to get along with.

Cons

Interdepartmental communication could use improvement

"Proceed with caution"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Turnitin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Good benefits
    -Nice office
    -Easy, Low stress work
    -BARTable

Turnitin is a great rest stop if you need to keep money coming in while you work on some other areas of your life. Maybe you have family issues and need to spend more time at home. Turnitin has great work life balance. The work is a piece of cake and not challenging at all. People are allowed to work from home when needed without any drama.

Maybe you need to get into shape. 24hr fitness is one block away and we receive gym membership reimbursement. Some of us run lake Merritt at lunch and workout together. Trunitin can be very supporting with the healthy lifestyle stuff.

Once you get yourself right pop back into the job market and find that dream job.

Cons

-Ancient technology
    -Minimal career growth
    -A few toxic managers, Some are abusive

DO NOT join this company looking for professional growth.

Two warnings

-The negative reviews posted on glassdoor are true. I have watched frustration turn into tears as people are pushed to their limits and had a front row seat as talented co-workers slowly become disgruntled or bored then leave for a better opportunity.

-There is a person who works in the Oakland office that can only be described as pure evil.

Advice to Management

Life is all about growth and leaning. Learn from the reviews here and the mistakes that were made and do the right thing next time whether it's at Turnitin or at your next company.

Jun 13, 2017 – SVP People

Thanks for taking the time to leave your feedback. I'm really new here and would like to understand more. If you are comfortable, please reach out for a chat. Thanks - Anne