Turnitin Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Turnitin Chairman & CEO Chris Caren
Chris Caren

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work / life balance is very good as many people who work there have families" (in 24 reviews)

• "Great people work here (but these are a dying species) that truly care about the business and product" (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "There has been some worry around the office with some turnover, but given the changes in the tech stack, it's to be expected" (in 5 reviews)

• "The company culture has suffered in the last couple years" (in 4 reviews)

"Change for the Better"

I have been working at Turnitin full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am relatively new to Turnitin and I think the company is making all the right steps to modernize the tech stack, expand the product portfolio and focus on customer needs. Change is hard and some people seem to want everything to stay the way it's always been but I believe the changes are for the better. The office is a great environment, with lots of great amenities and treats--not Google level but a solid employee focused set of benefits, snacks and services. Fantastic office parties and outings. Flexible time and location, work from home flexibility, etc...

Cons

Lots of work to be done because of all the changes which can sometimes be overwhelming.

Advice to Management

Stay the course. Some people will leave but the team that will result will be stronger and more committed.

"Sales Operations Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monterey, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monterey, CA

I have been working at Turnitin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice team with great attitude towards the company and responsibilities

Cons

Management lack of people management skills

3. "Excellent"

I worked at Turnitin full-time

Pros

Good company and product. People and leadership are very strong

Cons

Doing a great job. Nothing

"Software Development Manager"

Current Employee - Software Development Manager in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Software Development Manager in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Turnitin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Challenging technical problems to solve, good profit to provide us comfortable bandwidth for R&D.

Cons

Telecommuting policy could be more flexible.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on fewer technical projects.

"Good company in a tailspin"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I worked at Turnitin full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great collaborative team environment. Some really amazing hard-working people. The office is very much in line with the high-tech office vibe and bennies. company offers good compensation/benefits

Cons

Bad investment spiralling out of control. Ignored the impact on existing employees to see others let go. Disappointing to see the drastic change and "sweep under the rug" mentality

"Great place to work!"

I have been working at Turnitin full-time

Pros

The big pros for me of working at Turnitin are the meaningful work we do and the great work/life balance.

Life is already hard for teachers. At Turnitin we get to make their life significantly easier with grading tools and originality checking, which saves teachers tons of time, so they can do their best at what they do.

Further, Turnitin is not a "burn the midnight oil" kind of place. We believe in good hard work, but do so within normal 40-hour weeks. This balance has been quite good for the many years I've been here.

Cons

No company is perfect. At Turnitin we do have to deal with the same imperfections as other companies that have been around for while, like brittle legacy systems and maybe too many product directions at once. But on the whole it's good.

Advice to Management

Sometimes I think folks forget that our main product is for checking plagiarism; it's the reason why so many customers use us and we do it better than anyone out there. My advice to management is to ensure proper resources are spent refining and improving on this core competency.

Jun 12, 2018 – CFO

Thanks for sharing your experience! And your point is well taken about the focus on our originality service. In terms of resource allocation, we're generally looking to balance three things... More

"Progressive & Growing"

I have been working at Turnitin full-time

Pros

Turnitin has excellent top level leadership that communicates well with employees and knows when change is needed. The company strategizes to stay on top of the market and positioning its Saas. Well known and reputable company in the education space with a great mission for secondary education and higher education. Variety of company perks.

Cons

Company has growing pains with having to change processes and structure. Department organization structures can be mis-aligned.

Advice to Management

Make sure departments are organized for efficiency and effectiveness.

Jun 11, 2018 – SVP People

Thanks so much for your review - I am sincerely happy you are having such a positive experience. I am especially happy you think communications is going well – it is something we are working hard... More

"Great Company Run by Great People"

I have been working at Turnitin full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working at Turnitin has been a blast. There is never a shortage of fun projects to work on and we're building a product that helps the industry. TII has great company ethics and doesn't seek revenue streams that compromise our core values and core product.

* A product you can be proud to tell your friends about.
    * Promotes from within.
    * Diverse technologies used.
    * Friendly staff with no drama.
    * Competition is almost nonexistent.

And all that other tech-company goodness like snacks, excellent benefits, frequent events, and a fun location.

Cons

Turnitin is an older, more mature company than many Bay Area tech companies.

Jun 11, 2018 – SVP People

Thanks so much for the positive review! I think we may need to move you over onto the People Team to help with our outreach efforts!
    Seriously – really appreciate how specific you are in your... More

9. "Fun, interesting company!"

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Turnitin full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company lives and breathes its own mission around integrity. The transparency and intent to continue to improve the way we support students and schools, and other customers is genuine.

The hiring process for this company was more than twice as long and arduous as any other company I've interviewed with in my career. However, once I became an employee it was very clear why. The culture is fantastic. They keep a fairly flat structure. It's a friendly, cooperative, team environment. Employees are kind, helpful and are not afraid to work hard. A bad hire could really spoil the energy so they take a lot of time to ensure they are bringing in the right type of employee.

The services the company offers are, for the most part, unique and there is a demand for them, so it's a fun environment where you are able to focus on continuing to improve rather than competition.

Cons

I did take a pay cut to come work at Turnitin

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer

I have been working at Turnitin full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly group of people who care about what they work on.

Cons

No cons to add here