Turnstile Publishing Company Reviews | Glassdoor

Turnstile Publishing Company Reviews

2.8
Rance Crain

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Working for Golfweek"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Turnstile Publishing Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Iconic and respected brand with true editorial integrity. The brand has a unique niche with serious and competitive golfers that following the amateur and professional games.

Cons

Small, family owned, no company match on 401k, smaller circulation and digital readership than larger national media companies but all in all a great place to work.

2. "Account Executive"

Pros

Good and knowledgeable immediate supervisors.

Cons

Not a trustworthy company, narrow minded. Refuse to pay earned commissions once you leave. Exceeded goals entire stint with company, but once I notified them of my leaving they kept my commissions. Low starting salary and poor commission structure, only benefits the company, not the employee.

Advice to Management

Have HR stay out of commission structure, their salaried position doesn't get it. Exceeded yearly goal in two months and refused to pay me over $6000 in co!missions that I earned. I guess you must need thge money more, plainly stated, I feel like I was robbed by this company.

3. "One of the best companies I've ever worked"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Turnstile Publishing Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people within the company
    Relaxed, fun atmosphere, even when working hard
    Current top executives are completely in touch with the rest of the company, with a full open door policy all the way up to the CEO
    For a small company, the benefits are excellent, with lots of little perks

Cons

Being a small company, there is not much opportunity for growth unless someone leaves the company or things are moved around
    Everyone needs to wear multiple hats because of the size of the company
    Salary is just ok, probably on the lower side

Advice to Management

Continue to stay in touch with everyone within the company

"I learned how to work in a very hectic environment. It was fun."

Former Employee - Copywriter in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Copywriter in Dallas, TX

I worked at Turnstile Publishing Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I liked the clients and co-workers.

Cons

There wasn't enough work to keep me busy.

5. "Ok place but lacks growth potential and stifles sales."

Current Employee - Account Executive in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Turnstile Publishing Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are ok but can be "clicky". Low key work environment.

Cons

Low, low compensation. No incentive for sales persons. 75% of client base are "house accounts." Absolutely no future. Stuck in the glory days of newspapers and magazines. Little if any attention to digital sales. CEO works remotely (not a great sign of confidence).

Advice to Management

Cut your losses. It's time to retire, sell your mansion and consolidate the titles that may still make a buck.

"Rich People's Pet Project, Living on Borrowed Time and Money"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Orlando, FL

I worked at Turnstile Publishing Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Interesting Titles, Very Little "Management"

Cons

Leadership is a mess, out of date and not keeping up with times. Company owned by rich, older couple who picked up the Co. as a pet project. Titles are not profitable and owners are continually paying people/supporting the business with no profit. Marketing efforts are small and reach is even smaller, technology is passing them by and not reaching the younger markets.

Advice to Management

Swallow your pride and close up shop, let these owners retire or pass along the with money you are wasting. Stop giving them false hope that things will be successful eventually or start from scratch with management that actually knows what they are doing, this is business, not a popularity contest.

"Cynical and depressing, but with fun, dedicated coworkers"

Current Employee - Editor in Orlando, FL

Pros

— Management is very hands-off .
    — There's little pressure as long as you get the job done.
    — Fun events
    — Employees are fun to work with despite oppressive, continually worsening work conditions.
    — The option for 4 day work weeks to cut down on commuting
    — Great holidays and vacation flexibility

Cons

— Pay companywide verges on exploitation.
    — If you ask for a raise, they dare you to find another job.
    — Workload in has increased dramatically company-wide with no raises.
    — Grossly incompetent management that hires even worse sales staff and then keeps them for years
    — Destructively badly-timed layoffs, even in the middle of major projects, with zero regard for gaping holes that management just assumes someone will fill. Then when an employee shoulders the job because it has to get done, they don't even get acknowledged, let alone paid for the work.

Advice to Management

— Company-wide salary freezes are insulting. You're basically telling us that no matter how hard we work (or don't work) we'll never get a raise. If I'd known this when I was hired, I never would have taken the job.
    — Do something about the brain drain all the bad management is causing
    — Stop eliminating company events. If cutting inexpensive morale boosters is "sending a message", then the message is that our company is a sinking ship. People tend to take to the lifeboats at that point.

— That said, thanks for staying off our backs. Employees below the division manager level are getting the job done, and doing darn well. So keep that up, please.

"Exploitative with an ongoing trend of substantially increased workload for the same pay, but with a heroic HR dept."

Current Employee - Editor in Orlando, FL

Pros

1: The HR department and VP are very understanding and communicative. Benefits — medical, dental, life insurance, 401k) are the best i have ever had (though increasingly expensive).
    2: The HR manager does her best to keep up morale and foster a team environment. Monthly birthday celebrations and employee recognition days help stem the ebbing morale.
    3: Freedom to just get the job done rather than working under more structured schedules is very nice. The work environment is relaxed in general and employees are convivial.

Cons

1: We've received a diminishing fraction of our (industry-low) base pay each year, rather than raises.
    2: Rapidly increasing workloads concurrent with title promotions with no pay increases.
    3: Zero reward for receiving industry awards or improving company productivity or profits.
    4: There is almost zero regard for employee morale by the top management at Turnstile, which acts collaborative during meetings but manages with unilateral edicts that without fail are to the detriment of employee morale and likely detrimental to long-term output.

Advice to Management

1: Hold strategy meetings immediately to solicit revenue improvement ideas. Immediately pledge to reward employees for increases in revenue. Create a salary structure that allows for upward mobility with performance-based raises.
    2: Have a serious talk with upper management about morale. The leaders' motives are transparently derisive, even to top management, and actively discourage retention of employees who can make the company improve financially.
    3: It's evident the owner cares about journalism and employees, but he's hired a CEO who understands nothing of maintaining morale.
    4:Monetizing as many aspects of the publications as possible is absolutely crucial to survival, but you can't simultaneously devalue every employee's position and expect them to work even harder. Keeping a bad job is not motive enough to break your back for a company that is increasingly uninterested in hiding its contempt for its employees.

9. "Nice relaxed work environment but top executives don't really care about you at all"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Pros

One of the best things is the relaxed environment. Flexibile hours and workdays are nice and coworkers are friendly. Kids and pets are welcome which is nice too.

Cons

The breakdown in communications from top leaders to the rest of the employees and departments is a problem. Management turns a total blind eye to poor performers that slack off and are not good at their jobs while hardworkers are undervalued, taken advantage of, stretched thin, then left out to dry. Recognition for goodwork and real support from executives is basicaly hard to come by and there is a not so subtle 'everyone is easily replacable' mindset from the top dogs.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to the people that are working their butts off for you and give them the support and regonition they need and deserve!! You should take the time to really understand what each person actually does, responsibilities and work load, and how much they actually contribute to the company. And you also need to deal with the poor performers that are dragging everyone else down. This is the best way to boost morale and make for a less negative and resentful work environment.

10. "OK Place to Work"

Pros

No micro-managing. Management lets you handle your own accounts.

Cons

Pay scale is very low.

Advice to Management

Offer more incentive to succeed.