Tutor Corps Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

Tutor Corps Reviews

Updated Oct 13, 2019

4.6
Tutor Corps Founder and CEO Jesse Roselin (no image)
Jesse Roselin
  1. "Professional organization focused on providing highest quality 1:1 education"

Current Employee - Tutor in Petaluma, CA

I have been working at Tutor Corps part-time for less than a year

Pros

The organization is focused on helping students reach their potential. The founder and management team have been able to combine visionary ideals, professional techniques, and down-to-earth implementation. There is mutual respect at all levels and a true feeling of esprit de corps. Tutors are given access to a plethora of resources and are trained in how to tutor, how to prepare students for tests, and how to help them with study skills. There is an atmosphere of benevolence, calmness, advocacy, and above all, professionalism centered around the student. A great and fun place to work!!

Cons

I wish I had known about Tutor Corps before.

Tutor Corps2019-10-13
  2. "I'm Treated With Respect, Feel Like My Voice Is Heard And Valued"

Current Employee - Education Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Tutor Corps part-time for less than a year

Pros

The admin team is friendly and professional. I feel like my job roles and responsibilities are clear and fair. As soon as I was hired, they made sure to give me a mix of duties so my job wasn't too monotonous. Even as a junior employee on the team, they made it clear that they want to hear my opinion and ideas. It's been a smooth transition, and I'm really enjoying working for Tutor Corps!

Cons

I wish I had more time for big picture and creative tasks, but at the same time I'm very new and understand that's just not what my job is. Really not a lot of negative things to say!

Tutor Corps2019-02-27
  3. "Excellent, Flexible Role with Outstanding Management"

Current Employee - Academic Tutor in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Tutor Corps part-time for more than a year

Pros

Working for Tutor Corps has been a really smooth, straightforward, and rewarding experience overall. In addition to allowing a nice, flexible, make-your-own schedule, the client students and families have always been great to work with. Management at Tutor Corps really distinguishes the organization from nearly ALL of my previous employers. From the CEO of the organization to the upper management, it is clear that the best of the best are chosen to run the day to day operations. Partnering with them (the management: Jesse, Mel, and Staci) for the benefit of local families and students has been a respectful, productive, and rewarding experience. The management never leaves us (tutors) hanging; they are receptive to questions, make wholesome and practical suggestions on everything from lesson planning to correspondence, and even provide additional education materials shipped directly from Amazon. The leadership engages with tutors to help infuse lessons and sessions with that extra level of professional, classroom caliber education, while making tutors feel confident in the education and support they are providing the clients. Lastly, Tutor Corps runs short and sweet annual get-togethers, both for professional, skill development, as well as holiday parties, where one can meet other tutors and like-minded individuals within the organization. Compensation is very fair, and payment is always accurate and timely.

Cons

Parking at some of the client locations in dense neighborhoods or where options are scant can be a challenge.

Tutor Corps2019-02-06
  4. "Tutoring Part-time"

Current Employee - Tutor in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Tutor Corps part-time for less than a year

Pros

Tutor Corps has been very supportive, especially when taking on new assignments. They provide great resources and training. The flexibility and variety of work are a great fit while I attend graduate school.

Cons

I have had a mostly positive experience with Tutor Corps.

Tutor Corps2018-11-13
  5. "Great company - most respectful bosses!"

Current Employee - Director of Outreach and Community Parnterships in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Tutor Corps full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I have been working with Tutor Corps for over five years, and am so glad to be a part of such a respectful, caring, fun work environment. Jesse (CEO/Founder) and Anna (COO) have a gracious, fair and encouraging management style. Work-life balance is a tenant of the way the company is run, and each employee (whether administrator or tutor) is treated with the utmost respect. Talents are recognized and people are encouraged to grow in directions that interest them! There is a great balance between autonomy and teamwork. There are team-building and social events sprinkled throughout the year to keep us connected and foster the strength of the team ~ I so appreciate this element of the company. Such efforts highlight the values that Jesse and Anna set for comradery and being a people-focused company. Both employees and clients are truly valued and cared for. Additionally, I feel so grateful to be a part of the work we are doing. Not only is the mission of the company powerful and important (providing the best educational support possible to families throughout California in a variety of ways) but Jesse has designed the company to focus on giving back to the community. Philanthropic initiatives permeate the work. This is a wonderful company and team to be a part of.

Cons

No cons come to mind.

Tutor Corps2018-08-30
  6. "A Company With Integrity and Compassion"

Current Employee - Chief Operating Officer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Tutor Corps full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Joining the Tutor Corps team means you will be working with both a caring and supportive group of people who value and respect each other. One of the greatest benefits to working at a small (growing!) company like Tutor Corps that doesn't micromanage its employees is that your ideas are heard and often implemented. This means that staff members who are passionate about exploring opportunities in the education world can flex their creative muscles and make huge contributions to developing the company. Overall, Tutor Corps is the kind of company that truly "lives its values" and this starts from the integrity and compassion of its full time administrative staff. In addition to providing the baseline of competitive salaries, health benefits, 401K matching and more, Tutor Corps administrative staff also participate a number of fun staff bonding activities like team lunches, dinners and retreats. Also, as a family-friendly CEO, Jesse is extremely understanding of busy parents needing to flex their time.

Cons

Working on the admin team does require a lot of hours in front of the computer. Luckily Jesse encourages breaks for sanity and is a huge proponent of ergonomic desk set-ups.

Tutor Corps2018-08-23
  7. "If only the best will do!"

Current Employee - Tutor in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Tutor Corps part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great support staff, great pay, pick your own hours, continue honing your skills

Cons

Not guaranteed workload , soft summer hours

Tutor Corps2018-06-15
  8. "Director"

I have been working at Tutor Corps full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Tutor Corps is a place where professional people who care about their work will grow and thrive. Jesse, the Founder & CEO, could write *the* manual for creating an optimal work environment for employees. Everyone working for Tutor Corps is engaged in working together to make the company the best it can possibly be, which is fun and rewarding.

Cons

"I've only ever heard you say glowing things about your job." - A friend of mine

Tutor Corps2018-04-19
  9. "Flexible tutoring gig that gives valuable experience"

I have been working at Tutor Corps part-time for more than a year

Pros

-You have a very flexible schedule and you get final say on all clients you want to work with. -It is one of the better paying tutoring gigs in the area -You get the chance to network with other people working in education in the Bay Area (I've gotten lined up with a few extra gigs because of my work with Tutor Corps). -You get the chance to work with many different types of students, which has been very valuable. -They house a communicative staff with good values.

Cons

-It has the possibility to be a lot of driving, but you can stack your schedule in certain areas or keep all of your tutoring in one area. -I personally consider this more of a side gig (which is great for me, but might not be the best fit for everyone). Some tutors have more of a full-time schedule, but I think they are able to be way more flexible with location and driving.

Tutor Corps2018-04-11

"Where Work-Life Balance Is Not A Myth"

I have been working at Tutor Corps for more than a year

Pros

As a tutor, I really appreciate how Tutor Corps connects me with so *many* clients — and respects my boundaries when a particular tutee isn’t a good match. I also really appreciate their curricular support: no need to torture myself with hunting down/creating my own curriculum; they’ll supply me with options (if I ask) and pay me for my prep time. I also don’t mind that they’ll manage the more awkward parts of client interactions. (Hello, on-time paycheck!) As a part-time manager, I can’t say enough about the variety of work I get to do and the team I work with. Everyone on staff is a consummate professional and when conflicts arise, people assume best intentions and work collaboratively on solutions. Folks are quick to praise good work and commiserate when challenges arise. I feel fortunate that I get to spend my days supporting students, fellow educators, and my colleagues. Tutor Corps has made “work-life balance” a practice in my life, not just a theory. I really didn’t imagine that was possible.

Cons

Yes, the driving is no fun. Those of us who live in the South Bay have farther to go (more clients live on the peninsula & in SF) and traffic is gross. I can’t really blame Tutor Corps for that, though. They do their best to send me clients who are nearby and to help me stack sessions so that I’m not wasting gas. I never expected to go into catering to wealthy clientele. On the upside, I really appreciate that Tutor Corps puts those profits to work through its nonprofit foundation, sponsoring tutoring for students who can’t afford it and classroom/school projects among other things. I’m glad I’ve been able to work on some of these.

Tutor Corps2018-04-11

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 13 reviews