Tutor Perini Reviews in Las Vegas, NV | Glassdoor

Ron Tutor

"Awesome"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Tutor Perini full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Once in a lifetime projects, difficult schedules, most of the people.

Cons

The Sr. Project Manager that was there was incompetent.

Advice to Management

Get rid of some of the upper management who were totally out of there league. It was sometimes embarrassing when the individual who is supposed to be one of the faces of your company - cannot even speak or use a computer.

Tutor Perini2012-08-03
  2. "Just another big company"

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Tutor Perini full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Cannot think of anything that I was impressed with.

Cons

They are not a family business and feel that they are elite.

Advice to Management

Look at cutting out the tremendous waste and serve you customers better as well as their stock holders.

Tutor Perini2019-09-10

"There are better companies that pay more. Why would you choose to work here?"

Former Employee - Assistant Superintendent in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Tutor Perini full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some of my coworkers are good people.

Cons

Tutor is a dirt bag. No subs respect him. Not many owners respect him after CityCenter. Perini's star has fallen since he took over. Lots of senior managers are on the take. We were forced to give out contracts to the companies that handed out NASCAR tickets to the bosses and put new tile in the bosses' houses, regardless of how low their bids were or how bad they did their job. Everyone is so afraid of... blowing a schedule that no one raises their voice and says, hey, why are we installing concrete wrong? Why don't we take an extra day and build per the drawings?

Advice to Management

Employees want to build their career. Not just your bank account. Give them a reason to give a damn about the company.

Tutor Perini2015-09-10
  4. "Overall the company was generally a decent place to work"

Former Employee - Project Engineer in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Tutor Perini full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The experience of working on some of the largest projects in the world and the knowledge gained from the many contributors

Cons

Too many people overseeing one another for the sake with little productivity. Not enough knowledge or experience on projects or the complex tasks.

Advice to Management

Work with your subcontractors, do. It fight them on documented changes to the contract draws, you will save more money overall on changes, every single day

Tutor Perini2014-11-06
  5. "Tutor Perini will challenge you and provide unlimited opportunities grow professionally and personally."

Current Employee - Area Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Tutor Perini full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Unlimited opportunities to take on new responsibilities. This company welcomes those who relish the opportunity to do more than just the minimum. Your contribution is considered key to the success of the project. If you excel and continuously contribute at a high level, you are recognized as an achiever. Additional opportunities to shine will a

Cons

Expectations are extremely high; and work-life balance is challenged often.

Advice to Management

Provide more after work opportunities for employees to congregate, fellowship and relax away from the stressful environment.

Tutor Perini2014-07-01
  6. "I loved working at Perini in the beginning. The culture changed drastically for the worse during my tenure."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Tutor Perini full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Many of the people were fantastic to work with & are still friends of mine. Often there was a great team spirit that made it fun to work there. Initially the organization was happy to help people learn and grow. Relationships with clients and within the organization were important.

Cons

It became a highly competitive, dog eat dog culture that was very hostile. Over time it became more important to 'win' with the clients or over your co-workers. Too many of the senior managers were seemingly rewarded for belittling, berating and bullying subcontractors, clients and employees. Many of the good folks left.

Advice to Management

Remember that people will make or break your projects so treat them well always.

Tutor Perini2013-12-30
  7. "A learning experience"

Former Employee - Safety Supervisor/OSHA Instructor in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Tutor Perini full-time for less than a year

Pros

Big job a lot to learn and teach

Cons

Only the friends of management stays on

Tutor Perini2013-09-12
  8. "PBC"

Former Employee - Assistant Superintendent in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Tutor Perini full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Everyone is very knowledgeable in their field. The upper management cares about their employees. The engineers were all on top of the RFI's and change orders. They have an open-door policy which proves to work.

Cons

There is the "click" factor amongst a few. The supervisor that I had had was not the most pleasent, but did teach me quite a bit.

Advice to Management

When you have a knowledgeable General Superintendent but he/she has a bad way of (or do not) teaching their subordinates please get with the subordinate to see what and if there is a problem.

Tutor Perini2012-07-08

"Exhausting"

Project Engineer II in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Tutor Perini

Pros

Great folks to work with and down-to-earth. Decent pay & benefits. Fast-paced with good responsibility. Great middle management. Flexible work hours. Casual environment.

Cons

Absolutely exhausting. Only admins and HR can even begin to talk about "work-life balance". Everyone else had what we laughingly called "the Perini look" - dark circles, utterly exhausted. The pay is good, until you realize that you're working two full time jobs for half the pay at straight time.

Advice to Management

You seem to manage everything by fire... quick! I need that in 5 five minutes! Didn't you at least know about it 15 minutes earlier? And this is every day. Opportunities for advancement are very rare.

Tutor Perini2012-03-04

"Highly regret decision I made 5 years back to ward off all other good offers from great companies to join with Perini."

Project Engineer in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Tutor Perini

Pros

Capable of bidding for big size projects due to their huge bonding capability.

Cons

1. Sr Management is very inefficient 2. Sr. Management does not care about employee satisfaction - treats people very bad. 3. Safety implementation is pathetic. 4. Push all employees too hard to work overtime - 80 hrs/week including Saturdays - but, did not pay for the overtime or bonus in City Center. 5. Estimation departments and VP's/CEO are inept at getting any new projects for the last 2 years. 6. Laid... off over 90% of staff from their peak time staff strength 3 years back.

Advice to Management

1. Need to value talented youngsters and encourage their growth 2. Need to revamp executives/senior management to make it competitive to get new projects - the estimation capabilities are very very poor and not competitive in this market. 3. Need to share profits made with hard working employees - lots of people worked 80 hour weeks for years and did not get any rewards for the effort in overtime or bonuses - Only... senior management/executives benefited with "Non-equity incentive plan compensation" that is a short cut to getting bonuses. 4. Need to respect employees and not treat them like garbage (cursing in foul language)- several instances of misbehaving by executives and senior management. Executives need to start being more refined.

Tutor Perini2011-04-29