KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Tutor.com

Is this your company?

Tutor.com

Add a Review

Tutor.com Employee Reviews about "subjects"

Updated Jul 5, 2020

Found 23 of over 550 reviews

3.5
Tutor.com CEO Hyoung Jun (Joshua) Park (no image)
Hyoung Jun (Joshua) Park
Pros
  • "you manage your schedules and you work from home(in 92 reviews)

• "Flexible hours is the most attractive feature(in 71 reviews)

• Cons
  • "low pay (especially for Seattle)(in 52 reviews)

• "Wages are low for some subjects(in 23 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

The latest conversations about Teachers

Join the conversation on

Teachers

1y

a

West Virginia Elementary School Teacher

Who is taking the COVID-19 Shot? Do you think all teachers should?

2,866

959 Comments

Join the conversation on

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Tutor.com and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "subjects"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great Part-Time Job!

Mar 17, 2016 -  in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Tutor.com allows a flexible schedule, as long as you are well versed in a variety of subjects. During busy hours (after school time), it is common to go on float and instantly be matched with a student to tutor.

Cons

Extremely hard to schedule if you are a new tutor. Also, the pay is sub-par for subjects like physics, calculus, and chemistry. Also, payroll is paid out every month.

2. 3.0
      Former Contractor, less than 1 year

Decent if a side gig

Jun 19, 2020 - Java Tutor in Portland, OR
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Flexible schedule - Decent pay if you get sessions for some subjects

Cons

- Outdated software - Lots of students just want tutor to tell them the answer - For CS subjects, the time limit for sessions makes helping with non-trivial questions almost impossible - Little to no way to offer continued help to a student if tutor runs out of time

3. 1.0
      Former Contractor, more than 3 years

Do yourself a favor and look elsewhere.

Jul 5, 2020 - English Tutor
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible hours, some students are genuinely rewarding to work with.

Cons

Low pay. You're not technically an employee, meaning that you can be fired at any time for any reason, you're not entitled to any benefits whatsoever and cannot write anything off on taxes. You're expected to have an almost obscene breadth of knowledge compared to the hiring requirements (Example: Social Studies tutors have to know about world history in every region of the world both recent and ancient, economics, marketing, psychology, sociology, philosophy, modern politics, government systems and structures, important figures, geography, and so on.). Mentors simply do not care about student education and will recommend using Wikipedia to cover subjects that you don't know about (IE, books you've never read or even heard of). The entire system is build on "McEducation" and is more focused on shuffling students in and out without actually taking the needs of the student into account. Many students simply want answers and will complain, go unresponsive, or try to trick you into giving answers. Students are free to abuse you including insulting you and abusing the ratings system with seemingly no repercussions. As much as you fight for hours or make yourself available, you'll never be able to get an adequate amount of hours to make any real money. If you're qualified for this position, you're probably qualified for something better - do yourself a favor, advocate for yourself, and look elsewhere unless you're totally out of options.

2 people found this review helpful
    4. 2.0
      Former Contractor, less than 1 year

Great for work-at-home, stingy on pay

Jan 25, 2014 - Tutor, Level I
      Business Outlook

Pros

Schedule flexibility - work whenever you want, even wee hours if you're a night person. Hours flexibility - work as few as 5 hours per week, and as many as 30 hours per week. Ratings system - you get immediate feedback ratings from students. This helps you improve your tutoring skills.

Cons

At the beginners' 'Level 0', starting pay is $9/hour, for the first 60 days. This is barely above minimum wage. Folllowing this, 'Level 1' pay is $10/hour. From Level 1 going forward, upward mobility is difficult. Upward mobility requires a combination of exceptional ratings and efficiency. Efficiency is measured by 'average students served per hour'. Attaining the two target markers is at once contradictory and grueling. Rotating through more students gives each student less time. Students will assign lower ratings because of this. On another economic note, Tutor.com leveraged its power over tutors during the Great Recession. Before the late 2000's, Level 1 pay was $13 per hour. But when the economic crisis arrived, supply of tutors expanded greatly because many prospective tutors were out of work and needed jobs. On a day in 2009, Level 1 pay dropped immediately from $13 per hour to $10 per hour. (Note: in fairness, some of the more 'in-demand' subjects offered more than these averages. Tutor.com was able to pay essentially a sweatshop wage, because the company knew it could get away with it. Struggling tutors possessing bachelor's, masters, and even advanced degrees saw their pay slashed overnight by nearly 25% percent. This worked to the benefit of Tutor.com, and they thrived even as they slashed tutor pay.

3 people found this review helpful
    5. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Flexible, easy, and fail-proof

Feb 23, 2016 - Math Tutor II
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Work from home -Flexible, you can log on and "float" to tutor anytime -Pay for STEM subjects is decent ($12-15) -15% pay increase if doing two sessions at one time The biggest pro is that it seems nearly impossible to get fired provided you do your job. I have taken a few long breaks (3 months without tutoring) even during the school season without giving any notice. I got promoted to Tutor II without doing anything. As long as your tutoring sessions are good, you approach students with enthusiasm and helpfulness, and follow the rules, it is very easy to do well at this company. I only tutor 5-7 hours a week for a bit of supplementary income, so I can't speak on behalf of those who tutor much more frequently.

Cons

Can be hard to schedule hours, but if you just float at busy times of the year, it is easy to get sessions for the busier STEM subjects (calculus and chemistry especially).

6. 3.0
      Former Freelancer, more than 1 year

Limited Scope

Oct 19, 2018 - English Tutor in Saint Petersburg, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

There was always enough traffic to find plenty of students, and I had no problems with the client application. The pay was low, but adequate.

Cons

The entire service is set up with math tutoring in mind, and is much less well suited to other subjects. The soft 20 minute time limit for institutional students makes it very hard to fully explain necessary concepts in Social Studies or English without being an answer service, which most clients expect, and which we are forbidden to be. Also, the categories are too broad; there is no way to filter by age or subcategory. In my time doing SS, I got everything from a second grader to a law school student wanting me to dive through case briefs with them! This lead to a great number of questions that were outside my expertise, and my refusal of those prompts was also penalized. Finally, some students seemed to have been given extra credit simply for using the service; this unnecessarily inflated the number of students, and made our jobs harder.

7. 4.0
      Current Contractor, less than 1 year

Decent for part time work

Jul 6, 2014 - Probationary Tutor in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible hours, great for students or part time work Being able to help a student is a satisfying feeling

Cons

The mentoring can be overly picky. I am a probationary tutor for mathematics and statistics, and I have met the requirements to move up to Tutor I status, but after my last assessment, I was told that my Algebra I rating was too low. My sessions are divided up into Algebra I, Algebra II and Statistics. I rarely receive Algebra I requests, but two of the ones that I did, the student disconnected from the session before I had a chance to really tutor, and gave me a low rating. All of my other subjects were high rated, but they considered it an issue that my average rating for Algebra was low. I feel as though my 4.9 rating in statistics I should be qualified to give them a lesson or two on low sample sizes! Anyways, it was easier to just drop Algebra I from my teachable, since I don't enjoy tutoring the lower level maths as much anyways. It just annoyed me that they would hold something against me with such a low sample size. (But when they have to dish out money for bonuses of being over a certain rating for the month...some reason they remember the sample size issue!) Most students are fun to work with, but once and a while you get an inexplicably rude student and your rating will take a hit.

8. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Ultimate Flexibility - Real money from your PC (but company in transition)

Aug 9, 2013 - Math Tutor II in Los Angeles, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Tutor.com provides online tutoring services over the Internet to U.S. military, school districts, libraries, and individuals. You can sign up to work specific hours. In this case your are paid full rate for tutoring and (I believe) half rate for waiting. You can also (this is what I do) just log on and be paid full rate for tutoring. In this second case you can start and stop whenever you like and do not need to plan ahead. I really like the flexibility. Tutoring sessions generally run from 10 - 40 minutes each.

Cons

First the students. Most of the students are wonderful. There is a mix of students needing help because they never learning the foundation material all the way to students in advanced classes who have been assigned a really challenging homework problem. However, some of the students are arrogant and nasty. This is a minority, but often more aggravation then I'd like for around $10 per hour. I'd most also mention that the U.S. military students seems to be uniformly polite and pleasure to deal with. Second is that Tutor.com has recently been acquired by IAC (Google them for a surprise). I have seen disconcerting changes since the IAC acquisition. The company is expanding rapidly both in subjects offered and new students. These new students seem to be more of the demanding, unappreciative type. It hasn't happened yet, but if the number of problem students increases, I may be forced to go elsewhere. IAC has brought other changes giving the feeling that the employees are viewed as an alternate source of revenue. For example, the good news is that we IAC there is now a retirement plan - actually pretty nice with 50% matching up to 6%. On the other hand, the plan is opt-out: you are automatically enrolled unless you opt-out.

9. 4.0
      Former Employee

A mostly pleasant experience.

Aug 14, 2014 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

Super convenient. You get to tutor in your pajamas. It was a great experience builder while I was trying to get a full-time teaching job. The online classroom software is really neat!

Cons

The pay is pretty low, especially for saturated subjects like English. They have plenty of English tutors, so you have to snap up the hours you want ASAP.

10. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Decent online work

May 23, 2014 - Tutor
      Business Outlook

Pros

Lots of flexibility in picking hours, most of the "mentors" are friendly and helpful. The kids are generally nice, and the pay is decent (varies based on the subjects you teach and time working with them) Upper level Math and Science are definitiely in higher demand and better compensated.

Cons

Not a lot of hours available if you tutor humanities and lower level subjects

Viewing 1 - 10 of 23 Reviews