Tuxedo Junction Reviews | Glassdoor

Tuxedo Junction Reviews

Updated Oct 27, 2019

3.1
Tuxedo Junction President Mike Bristol (no image)
Mike Bristol
  1. "Great Start"

Current Employee - Part Timer in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at Tuxedo Junction part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The coworkers are awesome, and management really cares about you.

Cons

You have a lot of responsibility that you may not think should be yours.

Advice to Management

Organize things better.

Tuxedo Junction2018-05-02
  2. "Formalwear Consultant"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Erie, PA

I have been working at Tuxedo Junction part-time for more than a year

Pros

Tuxedo Junction is an excellent job to gain experience in the workforce. The skills you acquire at Tuxedo Junction can be applied to nearly any job. You develop fantastic communication abilities and you learn what it means to be a salesperson. The management is very caring. Being a smaller company, the upper heads of management know their employees by name making the place feel homely. The hours are flexible and the... work days are not very stressful. You are treated very well and you will enjoy your experience here.

Cons

There are not many cons to this job. The only con, if there had to be one, would be the computer systems are old. However, up to date computers are not really needed as the POS system us merely used to put in tuxedo styles and to take information.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.

Tuxedo Junction2015-09-02
  3. "Great part-time job."

Current Employee - Consultant in Syracuse, NY

I have been working at Tuxedo Junction part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lots of freedom, not too taxing (except during prom season). Can get pretty slow in the winter months. There are a lot of great people working here, and that honestly makes all of the difference.

Cons

Dealing with a LOT of picky customers. Weddings and Proms make the customers really stressed out, and employees have to deal with that. Can be frustrating, since the customers don't always know what they are talking about.

Tuxedo Junction2013-01-01
  4. "It was a great first job."

Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Tuxedo Junction full-time

Pros

Managers are nice, friendly and always willing to help if you have any questions. Store layouts are simple and learning how to allocate items comes easily. Bridal shows are fun. All dfw locations sort of intertwine so its kind of a big work family.

Cons

Old computers disconnecting from server constantly. A/c sucks. Other than that im very glad i experienced this as my first job.

Tuxedo Junction2014-12-16
  5. "If you can afford working part-time at a low wage with no benefits, do it! It's fun!"

Current Employee - Consultant in Syracuse, NY

I have been working at Tuxedo Junction part-time for less than a year

Pros

I can't stress enough how much I enjoyed the work. This job is FUN! This would be a perfect job for someone in college looking to work nights and weekends. There is a high level of independence, and it is a sales job, but expectations are reasonable. The company provides a lot of training and support. The things I learned at Tuxedo Junction were valuable to my career afterward. If you enjoy building a relationship... with your clients, this job is for you. I was proud to work for Tuxedo Junction as the products and services are far superior to area competition. If you do well, you will be eligible to become an MIT-- but you may have to travel far. Commission is paid for sales, but it is low. If I could afford to go back to being gone all weekend and working for such a low wage, I would!

Cons

As with most retail jobs, you will have weeks where you work 4 nights and all weekend and still only bring in 20 hours. Even with notice, it is difficult to get an occassional weekend off. For two months during prom season, no time off is allowed. The wages are low, hours are unpredictable, and there is a ton of travel required. You receive mileage, and it's not unreasonable, but travel is often required. The stores... are very small, so the only foreseeable way to move up from a consultant or even go full time if you live outside of Buffalo is to become a store manager, which you must travel to Buffalo every week. That's quite a hike from Syracuse. These are all average retail problems that you will experience in just about any small retail establishment.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, but please cut down on consultant travel between stores! It is very hard to keep a personal vehicle on part-time wages!

Tuxedo Junction2012-12-13
  6. "No work/life balance"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Syracuse, NY

I worked at Tuxedo Junction full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Helping people for special events

Cons

No lunch breaks, all on the clock or not at all during busy times. Staffing inadequate. No support from upper management. Spent more time running personal errands on the clock than helping.

Advice to Management

Support your workers that actually want to be there.

Tuxedo Junction2019-10-27
  7. "Manager"

Former Employee - Manager in Buffalo, NY

I worked at Tuxedo Junction full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great co-workers. Team environment until the end.

Cons

Business hurt by E-commerce and bigger competitors couldn’t compete

Tuxedo Junction2018-11-21
  8. "Well..."

Current Employee - Formalwear Consultant in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at Tuxedo Junction part-time for less than a year

Pros

They pay above minimum wage, and after you get certified (this incredibly outdated written test) you instantly get a raise. Commission is a perk, but a fairly low percentage and hopefully you actually receive it! Very easy job if you can handle brides, grooms, and their parents. Works with schedules.

Cons

This company is very backwards. Refunds are by check and take up to 45 days. Stores just got the internet and e-mail. Everything is pretty outdated and gets pretty annoying after awhile. Upper level management is a hit or miss. Trying to reach someone at corporate is nearly impossible since most are on some vacation or out of office monthly. Small company and they hire pretty rarely (pro in my opinion), but if... someone gets sick or goes on vacation the store struggles since hours are weird and vary day to day (also depends if you're certified or not).

Tuxedo Junction2017-08-04
  9. "Working at Tuxedo Junction"

Current Employee - Formalwear Consultant

I have been working at Tuxedo Junction part-time for less than a year

Pros

learn a lot, can be a fun job, customer service

Cons

micro managing regional manager, low pay, can only start as part time

Tuxedo Junction2016-07-09
  10. "Life At Tuxedo Junction"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Arlington, TX

I worked at Tuxedo Junction full-time for more than a year

Pros

They are a family like company. Move up quickly

Cons

No benefits. No direct deposit.

Advice to Management

Get benefits and direct deposit and your employees will work harder for you.

Tuxedo Junction2015-08-13