KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Twenty20 Reviews

Updated Mar 9, 2021

Found 41 of over 43 reviews

3.7
Twenty20 CEO Matt Munson (no image)
Matt Munson

1. 5.0

Formative Experience for Me

Feb 14, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Strong culture and good people.

Cons

Plan wasn't always clear to all.

2. 3.0
    Former Employee

Low pay, low trust but its a young company willing to grow fast

Oct 3, 2019 - Content
    Business Outlook

Pros

Small teams, young company, ok perks

Cons

low pay, low trust in employees, unclear plans

3. 2.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Need Not Apply.

Aug 17, 2016 - Chief of Staff in Marina del Rey, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

- There are some wonderful people who work here, a lot of time and effort has been made to craft a loyal team who cares about stock market photo disruption. - Free lunches. - Free beer, if you're into that sort of thing. - The office space is enjoyable. - The engineering team is pretty top-notch. (It may be worth nothing that I would only come on to the team as an engineer, and then I would try and negotiate a cash heavy salary. Don't take the stock--it's likely worthless.)

Cons

- The company has had multiple (three or four in the last two years) mass firings. This isn't par for the course when you're a startup--upper management doesn't learn from their mistakes and puts livelihoods on the line. - Company isn't anywhere near profitable. - Lack of financial transparency and lack of financial oversight.

20 people found this review helpful

CEO

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I'm learning from them even though it's been a couple years since you left. Sorry to hear I wasn't able to give you role you were hoping for. -Matt

4. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

A great company for generalists

Mar 27, 2017 - Senior Software Engineer in Marina del Rey, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Extremely data driven & transparent - Flat management (no micro management) - A really good work / life balance - You are expected to be self driven and interested in learning more than what your position initially requires, which is either great or really disorienting - We went through a lot in 4 years. Some of it really sucked, but it also feels like it fueled the push for transparency & fairness. Today it is completely different place than it was even 6 months ago (and for the best). That is the main reason I am still working there.

Cons

- In the past there were times when the Pros were more aspirational than real. The upside is that it became very apparent and it feels great that we have either fixed it or are working on it. - We recruited a lot of people who did not know what not being profitable / still searching for a revenue model meant, and we clearly did not do enough to be really clear on that.

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Positive, supportive culture for self-motivated overachievers

Oct 20, 2014 - Engineer in Marina del Rey, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great place for self-motivated people who can take ownership of their work, organize their time as they see fit and thrive on solving hard problems. The company culture fosters taking chances, learning new tech and skills and experimentation. Engineers are free to use the platforms and systems that work best for the particular job at hand. Cross team communication is very good.

Cons

It's a pre-revenue startup so if guaranteed job security is important to you, look elsewhere. That's not to say that the company won't succeed -- my personal belief is that it will be very successful. However, for some the looming end of the runway can be a distraction, not a stimulant, and for that time of person a solid job doing back end Java at a bank is probably a better choice.

6. 5.0

one fricin awesome company

Aug 30, 2016 - Enterprise Account Development
    Business Outlook

Pros

Twenty20, wow, where to even start... well, first off, they have beer! But besides that, Twenty20 is the best. Every employee here is easy to talk to. You have an idea, suggestion, or constructive critique it will always be heard. There is no stress or pressure if you have noticed something that isn't working inside the company, you can easily express it without doubt or feeling bad. The leadership team here is extremely smart, supportive, and adaptive and are always open to new ideas. I love the people I work with and everything about Twenty20. I would highly recommend to anyone and everyone to work here.

Cons

I live far away which makes the drive extremely frustrating. Not very many other bad things, sometimes the fridge doesn't have my favorite kind of beer, but hey they still have beer : )

2 people found this review helpful

CEO

Thanks so much for sharing the feedback! Hope you move to the west side soon :) Oh and hopefully the newly shared Instacart account helps with the beer problem. -Matt

7. 5.0

Awesome place to work!

Aug 7, 2015 - Sales Development Representative in Marina del Rey, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Twenty20 is an amazing place to work. I have never had a job where I enjoy the community so much - the employees are some of the nicest people I have ever met work here and everyone treats everyone with a mutual respect. There are no egos here which is so refreshing, even the CEO sits where everyone sits to work. Free lunch everyday, beer always in the fridge, music playing all day, team volleyball and Happy Hours after work, dog friendly, opportunity to grow in the company. The CEO rewards the sales reps by taking us on awesome outings (boats, dinners, fishing) if we reach our monthly goals!

Cons

Sales Reps have to be in pretty early because of time zone differences for making international calls.

2 people found this review helpful
  8. 1.0
    Former Employee

A Sinking Ship. Don't waste your time.

Sep 19, 2016 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

- I enjoy the people I worked with.

Cons

- This company has reduced it's headcount by 80% in the last two months, they are now down to a whopping 13 people. - No one has any idea what our CEO does during his frequent "Fundraising" trips and copious vacation. - Love to preach about being open and yet management is the complete opposite of open. I have a hard time believing we let go of half our team last week because we want to pursue a route that we barely have a months worth of data on. - No quality leadership in this company. CEO surrounds himself by "Yes men" in his inner circle and those who bring fresh ideas or concerns are quickly pushed to the side. On top of that, there is zero empathy. -Honestly, feels like the company is being run by a man children who just want to play start up.

10 people found this review helpful

CEO

Thanks so much for sharing your honest feedback. I shared a lot of the details on how we ended up in such a hard spot here: https://medium.com/reboot-leadership-resiliency/how-i-burned-10-million-dollars-so-you-dont-have-to-4e9e83754ce9#.9urrp84bs I don't anticipate that the 'why' takes away any of the hurt of the experience we put you through. Please do know we are taking your advice to heart. Matt

9. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

I love working at Twenty20 because of our product, company culture, and amazing team.

Oct 16, 2014 - Recruiter in Marina del Rey, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

1) Working with the smartest people I've ever known 2) Being recognized for the caliber of work that we do and being rewarded through increased responsibility 3) Exposure to strategic and operational challenges of business on a micro level 3) Feeling like a part of the team, getting to give input on product, even though I'm peripheral to the product team 5) Tons of free swag, free lunches, free beers, amazing "fluff" perks

Cons

1) You can make more money working in a cubicle and being the cog in a massive business machine 2) I love work so much that I tend to sometimes stay too long :)

10. 5.0
    Current Employee

Excellent learning environment that feels like family

Mar 13, 2016 - Associate Account Executive in Marina del Rey, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Everyone genuinely collaborates and celebrates each other's goals and successes. Expect to work alongside a group of highly intelligent and talented people who will help you learn and grow every day. There's real drive and passion here, and you're encouraged to ask questions. The CEO treats the team like a family and has an open door policy. Upper management invests in the tools to get proper and constant feedback from the team.

Cons

Meetings can be tad bit long at times. However, leadership has taken steps to make meetings more concise and are experimenting with different platforms to see what works and what doesn't.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 41 Reviews