Twilio Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 7, 2019

4.0
Twilio CEO Jeff Lawson
Jeff Lawson
  1. "Strong Ownership Culture"

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twilio full-time for less than a year

Pros

The company is growing like gangbusters and so there is always more fun projects to tackle. If you see a problem and want to attack it, you have a ton of open road ahead fo you.

Cons

A lot of legacy processes made sense when the company was smaller but have not scaled well. The product and process learning curve is still too steep for new employees. Everyone is super supportive but you really gotta go and get your answers.

Advice to Management

Just because something is 'working' today does not mean that it's ideal or that it scales.

Twilio2019-10-24

"Used to be Great"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twilio full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

CEO Knows what he's doing, business-wise Support for Remote work (WFH for locals, fully remote for select positions)

Cons

Lots of growth and associated pain Current management has a very top-down mentality, dictating stuff that should be left to teams, treating team members as fungible commodities they can just move around on a chess board Trying to save money by focusing on very junior hires and hiring in places like Estonia and India (moratorium on US hiring). Focus on junior devs means senior devs have to spend all their time... mentoring and aren't able to be Individual Contributors, which is unsatisfying for many and leads to pretty crappy code

Advice to Management

Hire senior people who know how to get stuff done, and then let them decide how to do it

Twilio2019-11-08

"Good company, lots of room to improve"

Current Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twilio full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great product and work life balance Smart co-workers Senior leadership is very inspiring and employees seem excited to be part of a growing company

Cons

There is a tribal culture within the engineering orgs! Teams seem to focus on their deliverables and there isn’t much focus or priorities given to unblock or help other teams! Although the upper management says we want to get rid of tribal culture and focus on bigger picture, the ground reality is completely different. As the team and company grows, there seems to be silos of information stacked amongst few ‘key’... old timers and very little is done to disseminate the information, the tribal culture makes it even more worse.

Advice to Management

I like all the talk about getting rid of tribalism, the ground reality is very different. Please take an internal survey if you think its not a problem anymore

Twilio2019-05-01
  4. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Technical Support Engineer

I have been working at Twilio full-time for less than a year

Pros

Not one bad thing to say

Cons

Working remote can be tough

Twilio2019-03-05

"Good value here, but you may have to work to find it"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twilio full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of independence and ownership, smart coworkers, own your destiny kind of place. Good comp, and minimal bs in communication all the way to the top. I've met and worked with some extraordinary people here, and I really value what I've learned from them.

Cons

The first year I worked here, I was ready to quit. I lucked into a change in situation and now I really like my job, but working here is very much like participating in the free market in that you have to go make your own success and job fit, and there are no safety nets if something goes wrong. However, there are high rewards when you do well if you've managed to find your way into a good team or org. Overall, I... think the risk is worth it, because there are lots of good areas, but I hate seeing valuable people wasted on bad management and churn.

Advice to Management

The important stuff won't show up on hr surveys or nps scores. Take a hard look at where human assets are leaking from to identify problem areas. Because the good areas are really good, so I know Twilio can do better.

Twilio2019-01-24

"Excellent culture"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer II in Temecula, CA

I have been working at Twilio full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Twilio has an excellent culture, and is inclusive of everybody. Twilio's values are strongly adhered to throughout the company. As we expand globally, our remote presence is growing and our remote culture is booming. As leaders in communications software, we're figuring out how to do something that's never been done every day.

Cons

My only gripe in the past was the limited 401k matching, but this has changed recently and is now very reasonable!

Twilio2019-02-01

"Twilio was an excellent place to work!"

Former Intern - Software Engineer() in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Twilio for less than a year

Pros

Amazing smart people, supportive company, good benefits.

Cons

The company is extremely liberal and in some cases this caused myself and others to feel like we could not express ourselves.

Advice to Management

Keep promoting diversity, make sure you expand that to political diversity as well.

Twilio2018-12-20
  8. "Don't miss a chance to work here!"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twilio full-time for less than a year

Pros

Awesome people! Hands down the best people I have worked for until now. CEO and the company on the whole is very energetic which makes you feel that your contributions actually matter. Definitely do not miss a chance to work here! People here think from the perspective of customers experience and actually strive to make it better (One of their core principles). I have never seen any company take this as serious as... Twilio does.

Cons

I cannot think of one, but if I have to say something, I would may be wish to have better employee benefits such as a better health insurance, commuter checks, etc

Twilio2018-09-05

"It's a great place to work"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Twilio full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good overall culture working here.

Cons

Sometimes there is a disconnect between managers and workers

Advice to Management

Always good to listen to your workers more and illicit their feedback

Twilio2017-12-12

"Senior Technical Support Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Technical Support Engineer in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Twilio full-time for less than a year

Pros

Company went public recently and a lot of new products being released and making life of both, developers and non-developers easy. Coming from a non-developer background, I learnt a lot of new technologies from Day 1.

Cons

None I can think of.

Advice to Management

Doing a great job.

Twilio2017-10-23