Twilio Reviews | Glassdoor

4.2
Twilio CEO and Co-Founder Jeff Lawson
Jeff Lawson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Plus small team sizes (5-7 per team) afford a lot of opportunities to learn and grow (in 3 reviews)

• Twilio has a great company culture and is growing fast (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • The growing pains of a burgeoning successful startup apply (in 15 reviews)

• somewhat typical growing pains experienced by fast growing start ups (nothing earth shattering nor systemically broken) (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Amazing Company"

I have been working at Twilio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Twilio is by far the best company I have worked for (and I have worked at a few tech companies). It has this amazing culture of balancing work with play, of being inclusive of people and being led by a CEO who truly cares about the people. The work is interesting and innovative, and people are excited about what we are doing here. It really is a great group of smart, innovative and caring people. It is not perfect, normal bumps and warts, but you get the sense that management is trying to improve and grow the company.

Cons

Honestly can not think of any cons right now. Health benefits could be a little better, but I assume as we grow that will happen. The new office location makes meals a little more challenging but I understand why they want us to get into the neighborhood (lunch is provided 2-3 days a week).

Advice to Management

Keep staying true to the culture.

2. "Amazing Company"

I have been working at Twilio full-time

Pros

Working at Twilio has been incredible. The people really care about what they are doing and the impact they are making.
    Twilio can be used by almost every individual in the world - and it's amazing to see the growth Twilio has achieved.
    Managers really empower you to think outside the box and help scale Twilio.

Perks:
    Company lunches 2-3 days a week.
    Wednesday Night Dinners, every Wednesday!
    Unlimited PTO
    Flex work env.
    Plus many more..

Cons

Company is still growing so their are some growth pains and some things that feel like bottlenecks at times. But overall, nothing earth shattering.

Advice to Management

Keep empowering your employees.

3. "Recruiting"

I have been working at Twilio full-time

Pros

Open and transparent communication and enthusiastic, 'one team' attitude and drive to succeed

Cons

none apparent to me that need highlighting

4. "Enterprise Account Executive"

I have been working at Twilio full-time

Pros

Well they give you an RSU package so that's nice. The APIs are actually top notch but outside of silicon valley not to many companies can actually put the pieces together.

Cons

Not a sales friendly organization at all, expected to somehow turn a bunch of lines of code into someones grand vision. When you do get someone to bite on larger than just providing their company credit card info online, you're literally expected to invoice, bill, support, grow, handle escalations etc all while also trying to sell to other prospects.

Advice to Management

I suppose in theory you are a communications/telecom company don't try and sugarcoat it maybe in the future hire people with telecom backgrounds instead of bizarre startups and SFDC refugees. Also put together a coherent comp plan and hold on to anyone in the upper echelons of sales leadership more than a few months or just abolish your sales staff all together quite obvious you don't respect or want them just sell thru the internet and your intern/inside sales.

5. "Wonderful Culture, Great Company"

Current Employee - People Team in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - People Team in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twilio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture at Twilio is so upbeat and welcoming, you actually look forward to going into work each day! Twilio truly cares about its employees and is constantly striving to create an inclusive environment for ALL. The company actually upholds their 9 values and stays true to them - even through their interview process, it is clear that they want to find other people who value these same things as well. Also, the community involvement and outreach is deeply embedded here, and the Employee Experience team makes it easy to get involved.

Cons

Could provide more team building activities to employees

Advice to Management

Continue being transparent with the organization, provide upward mobility across ALL departments.

6. "Technical Support Engineer"

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twilio full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Twilio is family! At Twilio, you are not just a number or a body, you are a person with actual feelings and opinions and every single person matters.

Cons

Literally no cons at all!

Advice to Management

None, whatsoever.

"Kind, inclusive culture"

I have been working at Twilio full-time

Pros

- Inclusive company culture
    - Lots of fun events
    - Thoughtful recruiting process that really stood out. You will never feel forgotten!
    - Great office!

Cons

Truly nothing that I could think of :)

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! I am very happy to be here

"A company that values employee experience"

I have been working at Twilio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Twilio truly values creating an amazing employee experience. They don't just talk about it, they are constantly iterating and making it better and better.
    - Autonomy of employees.
    - Small teams.
    - Quarterly reviews.
    - Solid remote employee experience.

Cons

Much of R&D is still not on board with remote employees. Twilio as a company has greatly improved the remote employee experience, but R&D specifically still strongly prefers on-site employees. Hopefully, that will change.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to employee feedback and keep iterating like you are. The results are tangible and exciting to see. R&D needs to be more open to remote job candidates.

"I've been here 6 months and still can't believe it's a real place"

I have been working at Twilio full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There's so much to love! The company as a whole seems to genuinely care about their employees, customers and community, but there isn't any pressure to join in anything you don't agree with.

I get the sense that management cares about my personal success and accomplishing my career goals almost as much as I do. There's a shocking amount of encouragement to develop skills that will help me personally, even if the company won't see a direct benefit.

That seeps into every part of the company culture. The more our customers succeed, the more the company succeeds. It's like the primary goal is to allow people (employees and customers) to do great things, and making money is just a natural consequence of that mindset.

It's so refreshing.

This is about as far from Uber as it gets. The Twilio CEO isn't a creep and half of the executives are women. As far as I've seen, everyone is treated with respect and nobody gets shat on for being different.

Cons

We aren't as spoiled as Google: there are days we have to buy our own lunches. And there's no towel service or on site laundry facilities.

I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel for complaints. I like it here, can you tell?

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

"Twilio Employee"

I have been working at Twilio full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Twilio really cares about their customers, the community, the environment and their employees. I have never worked for a company that is so involved in community events.

Cons

the only con for me is the location because it's a long commute, but I'm getting used to it.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great support !