Twilio Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Twilio CEO and Co-Founder Jeff Lawson
Jeff Lawson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Good work-life balance and culture" (in 6 reviews)

• "That seeps into every part of the company culture" (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Growing pains with scaling the business" (in 18 reviews)

• "As with many fast growing companies, communication between teams could be improved" (in 7 reviews)

"It's been a fun ride"

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twilio full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've worked with a few tech companies in the Bay area and this is by far the best company I've worked for. You get to work alongside smart, talented people without the ego, not to mention the CEO is a no frills, laid back guy who you'll often see roaming the hallways. The company is on the cusp of greatness and I'm happy to be along for the ride

Cons

The typical growing pains of working with a fast-growing company. Processes aren't always locked down and you have to dig around for information but it's getting better

Advice to Management

Make it easier for people to find the information necessary to do their jobs
    We need more space, it's packed in here

2. "Don't miss a chance to work here!"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twilio full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome people! Hands down the best people I have worked for until now. CEO and the company on the whole is very energetic which makes you feel that your contributions actually matter. Definitely do not miss a chance to work here! People here think from the perspective of customers experience and actually strive to make it better (One of their core principles). I have never seen any company take this as serious as Twilio does.

Cons

I cannot think of one, but if I have to say something, I would may be wish to have better employee benefits such as a better health insurance, commuter checks, etc

3. "Good"

I have been working at Twilio part-time

Pros

It's a good company to work for

Cons

They are growing a little too fast

Sep 3, 2018 – CPO

Thank you for your review. We are definitely growing which is exciting, provides growth and development opportunities and numerous was to contribute. We also know that high growth can come with... More

"commercial account executive"

Current Employee - Commercial Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Commercial Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twilio full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Product and stock are great. Catered food twice a week. Great people and culture outside of sales. Not
    Much else I can think of.

Cons

Horrible place to work if you are in commercial sales. Business development reps get promoted much higher and get to move on to better positions while you rot in a Commercial AE role. Horrible management structure. Managers are awful at their job and treat people horribly and blame lower level employees for their lack of pretty much knowing anything. Run as far as you can because after a year you won’t receive any draw payment. Culture is the worst and most people on the team are miserable but pretend to like their job until they find something better. Sales management will ruin the twilio culture!!

Advice to Management

Hire competent management who actually supports and encourages their employees

5. "Account Executive"

Pros

Great product, awesome coworkers, free lunch and stock is doing very well.

Cons

I’ve been one of the struggling reps for some time. I know this isn’t on account of my experience or effort level; I’ve worked at 3 other great companies in the Bay Area and left another company in hopes of a new opportunity to keep the trend upward. Regardless of how often I’ve made it clear and shown my hard work to management, it has been clearly overlooked.

Territory defines your success here and even if you work hard, management will seemingly give good territories to either brand new reps or promoted BDRs. Why not give it to reps who know how to sell and aren’t new to the gig? Maybe they would grow the deal size a bit more. If you ask for help on bettering your situation, don’t expect to get some actionable ideas on how to get better or improve your situation. They may as well say a blanketed statement like do better.

Our comp plans have been a complete mess and are now capped so there isn’t an opportunity/incentive to overachieve in our department. Also as others have indicated, your comp plan changes quarter to quarter as they attempt to “improve it” so it’s hard to really know how you will end up doing in the end.

Morale is at an all time low and management doesn’t really know how to improve it. They ask their teams to try and be positive and trust their direction. Well I’ve been trusting their direction and it hasn’t paid any dividends.

If you plan to work hard, expect some recognition, want to make money and are looking for a positive environment, this is not the place to do it. Experienced reps with great training don’t succeed here, it’s the ones who are on the top of the managers mind that do.

Advice to Management

Reward those that work hard otherwise you’ll lose them. It’s frustrating seeing the same people set up for success and you won’t grow a solid sales org without keeping people with knowledge. Why waste the company’s money, resources and time if you make the environment not accommodating for success? It’s also a waste of time for sales reps to spend several months figuring this out only to leave.

"SALES PEOPLE - Run FAAAAR Away. Pretty sure some of these happy reviews aren't real"

Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twilio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with and you can learn from some of your peers, people seem to be friendly. The products are awesome no doubt and you'll never starve in the office

Cons

I wish I didn't ignore the reviews I read before I accepted my offer. How is it that a public company can get away with making sales reps sign NEW comp plans every single quarter? Every single quarter. Every single quarter! Ask any rep here. So you literally have no idea how much commission you will be making until you see the comp plan and then you have no other choice but to sign or get harassed by your mindless manager to sign the docusign. I was late to pay a number of bills because I didn't get my commission for almost 2 months after the quarter's end. They say theyre working on it but why even bother to deal with chaotic comp issues when there are so many other great companies that have this together. Comp is such a big thing to not have down perfectly. Better off at a startup or one of the millions of other tech companies out here.

It was a pleasant surprise when a team lead was finally let go because of sexual harassment because it's all about who you know and who likes you. Wishful thinking is that they let go of the other managers who don't know the first thing about managing people. If you want to go far in this company you have just work here for some years and you are automatically promoted so they dont lose you. Nice concept but horrible results. You'll see a lot of teams that have managers who are people more junior than those they manage but are in their position because they have been at Twilio forever. If thats your thing you'll be fine here. It's all a joke and there's no excuse for it.

Make sure you ask the interviewer to tell you exactly what your comp plan is because I guarantee you that it is so complex you will run. Well for one, they dont know the comp plan either. Red flag. People rarely hit their targets after ramp. And HR is a joke. Talking to them is like talking to a brick wall and all their programs they make you sit through are your usual SF tech company publicity stunts. THREE teammates reported the same issues about a manager who is a tyrant and nothing has happened. No discipline for bashing other employees or driving people away. This place isnt better than Uber.

Advice to Management

Get some training for managers because many of them are clueless. Just because they were good at selling twilio doesnt mean they are actually good at SALES in general and can actually coach people who have wider experience that them or good with managing people. Get real HR who actually bring good change, not brick walls that let these problems fester. You'll find that a lot of us are on our way out.

"interviewing for sales? consider this is your warning"

Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twilio full-time

Pros

The product is great, the company is going in the right direction, customers are happy, CEO is cool, great stock and draw for sales reps

Cons

Make sure to ask the right questions during your interview - i.e. territories, realistic quotas, fair teams, management style, culture, realistic OTE, how many reps hit quota (off ramp)? Territories are not equal and the ones that are left are not good. Regardless, you'll have the same quota as everyone around you. Also, they hardly train you so don't expect to know what you're talking about for at least 8-12 months. You'll also sign a new comp plan every quarter and won't get paid for at least 45 days after the quarter, probably even longer. The comp plan also might not come out until the week before the quarter ends so you may have no idea how you're actually getting paid the entire time. If you have issues about anything and bring it to HR, it won't accomplish anything.

Advice to Management

Listen to your sales reps and actually make the changes they suggest. HR needs to take sales reps more seriously and stop being afraid to take action. Base quotas on people's individual books if you're going to hand out unfair territories. Stop giving empty promises to new people / people you interview. Create an actual training program so people are set up for success.

"Twilio: Fun, supportive, excellent career growth"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twilio full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have never felt more supported in my career path than at Twilio. I'm constantly given new opportunities and challenges and get consistent positive feedback from several levels of management. I've received several raises and changed roles once in the 2 and 1/2 years I've been here. Senior leadership works hard on company culture and strives to be transparent about company values, priorities and goals. Equity compensation is very generous and the small perks (catered lunch, fun parties, fully stocked snacks) really add up.

Cons

We have not scaled fast enough with our growth so workloads are heavy. I feel very appreciated and recognized for the large amount of work that I do, however burnout will eventually be an issue and some teams are already feeling that stress. Fortunately hiring is a big push at the moment, but it will definitely come too late for some teams and we will lose valuable people.

Advice to Management

Continue to push for transparency. Employees appreciate information from the top level of the company so that they have a clear idea how to execute their long term goals.

Aug 9, 2018 – CPO

Thanks very much for your review. Really happy to hear that you feel supported in your career and are facing new opportunities and challenges on a regular basis. We are dedicated to facilitating... More

9. "Dynamic and growing company with inclusive culture"

I have been working at Twilio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

a lot of learning opportunities with the ability to move roles across the org in case a different business function a passion for you. They seem to care about people both their employees and customers. Good benefits and option to enroll in ESPP. My manager is both supportive and empowering to my day-to-day work.

Cons

It's not a flashy company, budgets are a bit cheap. You won't get daily meals but there are catered meals a couple times a week. Then again one of the company values is to be frugal. Company is growing and hiring, making for a lot of waves/change. Could be an uncomfortable or exciting time for you depending.

Jul 25, 2018 – CPO

Thanks for your feedback. We do care about our team and are committed to your learning journey here. We are dedicated to developing our team and investing in learning, innovating and building your... More

10. "Healthy and rewarding culture for software engineers"

I have been working at Twilio full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

engineering culture, corporate values, experimentation

Cons

constantly evolving / changing ways to document and discuss priorities

Advice to Management

don't try and be too cute or smart with prioritization process/tools/format

Jul 23, 2018 – CPO

Thanks for your review! Glad to hear you appreciate the engineering culture and our Twilio values. We are becoming more disciplined in our approach to setting both long and short term goals, and... More