Twilio Reviews | Glassdoor

4.3
Twilio CEO and Co-Founder Jeff Lawson
Jeff Lawson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Good work-life balance and culture" (in 6 reviews)

• "That seeps into every part of the company culture" (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "Growing pains with scaling the business" (in 22 reviews)

• "As with many fast growing companies, communication between teams could be improved" (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"First Job I've Ever Loved"

Current Employee - Senior Legal Counsel in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Legal Counsel in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twilio full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing culture and team. The enthusiasm of employees is unparalleled and I've worked many place over the past 3 decades. People truly care about each other and do their best to support each other meet our goals at a fast pace.

Cons

There is so much opportunity and growth potential that it's difficult to not feel overwhelmed by the amount of work that can be done.

Advice to Management

Invest even more in personnel.

Oct 15, 2018 – CPO

Thanks for your review. Glad to hear that you are enjoying your experience and the authentic nature of our culture. We have so much opportunity ahead of us. Following our strategic direction and... More

2. "Amazing company to work for!"

I have been working at Twilio full-time

Pros

Inclusion & Diversity program is flawless.

Cons

There really aren't very many.

Advice to Management

n/a

"Best employment experience to date"

I have been working at Twilio full-time

Pros

- Tons of opportunity for ownership, leadership and advancement
    - Successful, stable company with clear growth trajectory
    - CEO and other executive leadership are down-to-earth, approachable, but also brilliant
    - International / Global presence and offices everywhere, easy to work remotely
    - Really yummy food on the days they feed us
    - Inclusive and rich company culture that looks for "culture-add," not "culture fit"
    - People around you are Doers—they are leaders in their own right and love to do and make and build
    - Extremely competitive compensation package

Cons

- Pretty young design org - some growing pains in leveraging design methodologies across the company
    - Some silos among and between teams- that's not always bad tho

"Fun, Hardworking, Open"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twilio full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hard-working and smart people, they are nice, team oriented, and believe in the purpose of Twilio.

Cons

Not enough infrastructure in place yet to keep up with growth, but that is changing.

Oct 27, 2018 – CPO

Thanks for your review. There is a strong commitment to our purpose and a shared ownership in realizing that purpose. We are definitely working on all the infrastructure pieces as well.

5. "Fast growing company with great culture"

I have been working at Twilio full-time

Pros

A tremendous amount of ownership
    Draw the owl

Cons

not that I can think of

Oct 27, 2018 – CPO

Continue to draw the owl - thank you!

6. "Join Twilio!"

I have been working at Twilio full-time

Pros

High Energy, Innovative, Very Smart

Cons

Higher degrees of messy and/or ambiguous

Oct 27, 2018 – CPO

Thanks for your feedback. There is a ton of energy around what we are doing and what we are building. We're also working really hard to calibrate with the right amount of structure and process to... More

"Amazing Company!"

I have been working at Twilio full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

By far, the best company I've worked for. Great culture that doesn't feel contrived or forced. A lot of smart people who are passionate about their work. You can tell that everyone is committed to making the company successful.

Cons

Growing pains similar to that of any company scaling this fast. Lack of systems to support growth which leads to manual processes and duplicative work. Leadership is working to solve that problem.

Oct 15, 2018 – CPO

Thank you for your review. Always happy to hear the positive culture comments. Maintaining that culture as we grow is so important to us. Systems support is one of our top priorities this year... More

8. "Grow with the company"

I have been working at Twilio full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Twilio is my first job out of college and I could not have asked for a better place to start my career. I think what I have appreciated the most is the opportunity to grow with the company and feel like you are really making an impact towards the future of this highly transformative company- even as a new grad.

I never could have imagined how welcoming and open to questions and helping you. Come ready to learn.

Cons

Growing pains as the company is scaling.

Oct 15, 2018 – CPO

Thanks so much for your review. Glad to hear it! We are investing in all areas of systems and processes to help us continue to scale.

"New Hire Experience"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twilio full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

From the initial recruiting to interviews and on-boarding, the experience with Twilio is different. So much attention to detail and a lot of emphasis on making sure new hires align with the company's values. The interview process is not simple, yet it's enjoyable. Each person I met was consistently smart yet humble and approachable. Super welcoming team and just a really good vibe in the office. Growing a lot!

Cons

It's not easy to get into Twilio - they really make sure one is a good fit. Beyond skills and intellect, it's all about making sure one is a good fit.

Advice to Management

So far, all good! Amazing human capital.

Oct 15, 2018 – CPO

Thanks for your feedback. We're constantly working to improve our on boarding experience - let us know if you have any ideas or feedback that would have been helpful for you as a new hire. We are... More

"Only join Twilio if it's NOT Sales"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Twilio full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing product

Customers are happy and are under the impression that product is awesome

Intelligent people with significant business and technical acumen

Catered lunch and snacks

Cons

Twilio Sales org is a new branch of Twilio. The internal processes are downright garbage and morale is terrible. Management has no idea how to assign territories, create accurate comp, and will put you on a PIP immediately if you don't make the near impossible ramp quota. This happens because the product is incredibly difficult to learn, and you need to spend hours outside of work daily - this will take you about 6-8 months to even feel comfortable positioning the product on the phone. But by then, you'll already be incredibly stressed out about your performance.

Morale is terrible and management realizes all the problems I have mentioned, but does little to do anything about it. The changes they want to implement take forever. 80% of revenue for Twilio comes from marketing and it's a self-service platform, so the company's focus on Sales is pretty much nonexistent. The onboarding is trash for sales.

If you want to be in sales here, do not believe in work/life balance. It doesn't exist if you want to be a top performer. The compensation is not worth the effort in my opinion.

Again, if you're an engineer or interested in product, DEFINITELY consider Twilio.

Advice to Management

Figure out how to make Sales adapt to the skyrocketing growth, like an attainable ramp quota, create a culture of wanting to work at Twilio. You are a great company, but Sales needs increased focus than just Product and Engineering.

Oct 15, 2018 – CPO

Thank you for your feedback. We have been focusing on our GTM team for the last 18 months, building teams and strengthening leadership. The Sales group actually ranked as one of our most engaged... More