Twilio Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Twilio CEO and Co-Founder Jeff Lawson
Jeff Lawson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Good work-life balance and culture" (in 6 reviews)

• "Jeff Lawson is great and really sets the tone from the top down" (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Lots of growth comes with some growing pains" (in 17 reviews)

• "As with many fast growing companies, communication between teams could be improved" (in 6 reviews)

1. "Twilio truly does live its values."

Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twilio full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Inclusive and dynamic culture where open discussion is welcomed and company-wide information sharing sessions are regularly held.
    - Wicked smart people who are always well informed and ready to share their perspective. This generally makes every decision better.
    - A technically diverse product portfolio so there is always something new to learn if you feel so inclined.
    - The get out there and do it attitude really shines through and help our customers be successful.

Cons

The diverse products and the product first philosophy means it’s sometimes difficult to tell a connected, more strategic, story across the business, both for sales and ultimately for customers.

Advice to Management

Jeff is a rockstar, follow him into the light!

Jun 11, 2018 – CPO

Thanks very much for your thoughtful feedback. Wearing the Customer's shoes is important for all of us as a north star, so glad you're experiencing this commitment. Telling a connected story across... More

"Commercial Sales: Completely Unattainable"

Current Employee - COMMERCIAL AE in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - COMMERCIAL AE in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twilio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Twilio has a great product and the reputation is there. Leadership has the right intentions, but no real control or idea how to make things work. Frontline managers are strong, but with no real power to help us. Stock is doing well.

Cons

Where to start, Comp is a complete mess and it’s very well known. Usage based models make for no one hitting their OTE, even if you somehow perform. Highly recommend asking to see the comp mechanics before accepting a job. Performance, the Commerical team has had less than half of the entire team hit quota the past two quarters, and were tracking the same this quarter if not worse.,. We’re drowning and no one notices bc overall somehow the sales org hits with 1 or 2 overachievers. Healthy sales team should have at least 75% minimum of people achieving numbers. Next up, Enablement is the worse I’ve ever seen. It’s a total joke. The product is really complex and there’s no enablement help on how to SELL this, unless you work with your manager (who’s spread soo thin with teams of 12+) you’re in for an uphill, confusing battle.

Bottom line: you won’t hit your OTE, you will hardly understand comp and have NO way to audit it (comp team continually has errors that we have to manually try to find ourselves), lead flow is minimal and for pennies. Territories are expected to do the same production and growth (so someone in Arkansas or Missouri has to hit the same # as developed Bay Area or NY) meaning don’t expect to hit your quota. Its a broken machine and no ones fixing it.

Care about your people. Realize that we are beaten down, apathy is running rampant. Even though the stock is strong, see that no one is performing (unless you are an anomaly and have a lucky lead). At the moment Senior Leadership seems to not notice bc this doesn’t affect them, when people start leaving then will you notice and fix this? Act before it’s too late, people love Twilio and we want to feel like we can succeed!

Advice to Management

Senior leadership must act on the issues. Frontline managers are spread way too thin. Enablement needs a complete overhaul, maybe actually hire or promote a sales trainer?? Adjust targets so more than 40% of Commerical can hit goals. Fix comp, once and for all.

3. "Commercial Account Executive"

Current Employee - Commercial Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Commercial Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twilio full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

will update review when changes are made within the company

Cons

1. Compensation.
    - As mentioned by several other reps, the comp plan is a mess. If you are interviewing I recommend asking management and the recruiters to explain it to you as simply as possible. Chances are they won't be able to. Ask to see a version of this 20+ page document before accepting a job offer with Twilio. If you don't understand it then you shouldn't sign up to be a part of it - this advice applied to current and prospective reps.

2. Infrastructure
    - Twilio is hiring sales people like crazy but the legal, sales ops, sales engineers, etc. are lagging behind. It takes a village to get these complicated deals done and you can only get so far into a deal cycle without having basic infrastructure in place. Major deals are likely to get stalled or will be lost because turnaround time just isn't quick enough.

3. Unacceptable behavior
    Sexual harassment allegations are disturbing and uncomfortable to say the least. You shouldn't need a third party to intervene to tell your employees how to behave appropriately while on and off the job.

Advice to Management

please treat your sales team better than this

4. "Senior Manager"

I have been working at Twilio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The vision and strategy of the CEO is innovative and a learning culture. The entire company is onboard to achieve the same goal.

Cons

As the company grows, continual focus on the fundamentals will be important.

Advice to Management

The importance of continual focus on the Customer and our Values will be the differentiator for the company.

Apr 25, 2018 – CPO

Thanks very much for your review. We agree - focusing on the customer and a continued dedication to our Values as we continue to grow are both fundamental components to our success and what will set... More

5. "Actually disruptive"

I worked at Twilio full-time

Pros

CEO with a clear vision for companies strengths/selling points and target audience
    Great culture/people

Cons

Product and sales do not work very well together
    Lack of forecasting/predictability on sales side

Advice to Management

Focus on improving cross team collaboration

Apr 25, 2018 – CPO

Thanks for taking the time to write your review. We work hard on our culture and are happy to read your comments. The Sales team, and especially the Sales Ops team, recognizes our areas of... More

"Amazing company, amazing people, just a little ADD"

I have been working at Twilio full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I joined Twilio not knowing where my career was headed, and I've found clarity and had an amazing journey along the way. Twilio took so many chances on me, and I'm grateful for that.

I love the people I work with and feel like I've found a workplace where I can fully be myself and be appreciated for me. While there's a bit of hierarchy and politics day to day, people genuinely want to help each other and make the company more successful. There's a spirit of togetherness that I love seeing every day.

And an amazing culture of innovation. My coworkers are constantly thinking through how we can make products, processes, and people more efficient. They genuinely care about what they do, and our follow through as a company for what we commit to is incredible.

Our sales team is killing it, support is doing a whole lot with very little, facilities are my favorite people, and product keeps coming up with brand new ideas to make cool things happen.

Twilio treats its employees well. We may complain about the lunch line and so-so benefits, but the sheer amount of care that's put into things like our company all hands and our new hire training experience shows the company's dedication to its people.

Jeff is an great leader and sets an amazing example. Management, on the whole, are caring and well intentioned. We've had some really incredible new managers from internal promotions who I enjoy working with.

Cons

Ok, so some of the less glamorous aspects:

Twilio's model for designing and shipping new products has... shall we say... some areas for improvement. There's an almost exhausting race to find the next biggest, brightest thing to go after. As a result we have a lot of floundering old projects because we're bad at retiring products but really good at running at breakneck speed towards the next new announcement. Churning our products quickly creates engineering issues. Also, it's just plain exhausting for our engineers and it drives marketing to insanity for every launch.

And we preach wearing the customer's shoes, but the shoes we try to wear are a tiny group of customers who will generate the most revenue. Product Managers are missing exposure to a larger set of customer issues that literally prohibit some users from adopting Twilio, and there's no easy way for them to get more expansive qualitative feedback.

Also, most importantly, Twilio is essentially propped up by a subset of really, really amazing executors. We know informally who a lot of these people are. Lots of them are employees who have been at the company for many years, like myself. They have a lot of institutional knowledge. And they are quitting. In droves. It's not unexpected in a post-IPO world, but the company seems highly reactive when a valued hard worker with tons of tribal knowledge announces plans to leave. I hope HR has plans for retaining what small long-standing talent remains or keeping people who've been around for a while more united. Especially within our sales force, where the majority of employees are new and reorgs are not uncommon.

Advice to Management

Do your best to shield individual contributors from the turbulent, changing whims of our execs. Prop up reports who continually do an amazing job. Mentor people in other teams or organizations if you see them having a difficult time.

And this one drives me absolutely INSANE at how bad we are: Can we please encourage hard workers to take vacations (I've literally only heard this twice in my tenure, and that was from Jeff), and tell them we're proud of them when they do take time off? Basic concept, but we cannot keep moving at the speed we are and expect people to not burn out. I am disappointed at how paid time off has been framed during my time here.

Keep up the hard work, everyone!

7. "Smart, Collaborative Environment"

Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twilio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In my experience Twilio is a fantastic place to work. The environment is very collaborative and management is pretty accessible. The values actually mean something here and the team works hard to do right both for customers and employees. Growth potential is massive, both for the company and for individuals.

Cons

Lots of growth comes with some growing pains.

Advice to Management

Stay focused and continue to invest in customer-facing teams. Work hard to retain your top performers.

Apr 9, 2018 – CPO

Thanks very much for your review. Our values do mean something and we try to engage and make decisions by them every day. We are working hard to retain our talent. Please drop in to the People... More

"SALES: Run in the opposite direction"

Former Employee - Commercial Account Executive
    Former Employee - Commercial Account Executive

I worked at Twilio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent brand recognition and a step up if you are coming from a lesser known tech company. If you are currently at a top tier company (Facebook, Google, Amazon, etc.) this will be a huge step backwards and I would urge you to look elsewhere.

Cons

1. An incredibly concerning number of sexual harassment allegations within the sales organization
    2. Lack of clarity regrading compensation. You will not have any idea how much your quarterly commission check will be until you receive it 45 days after the quarter. At that point it is almost certain to be short by a significant amount (ie thousands of dollars)
    3. Disappointing sales leadership - lack of experience, blatant nepotism with middle management hiring reps with whom they've previously worked with vs. hiring based on merit, expectation that every territory has the ability to produce the same amount of revenue
    4. Morale is very low. Many reps will willingly tell you that they are actively looking for employment elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Hold yourself and everyone within your organization to a higher ethical standard.

Apr 26, 2018 – CPO

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We value reviews that speak candidly about an employee’s experience -- and highlight both where we excel as well as where we require greater... More

"Horrible place to work if you are in sales"

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Twilio full-time

Pros

Decent product with name recognition with an impressive list of customers.

Cons

OMG where do I start? Twilio is an awful place to work as a salesperson. They have been having a sales hiring surge over the last year after the new COO came to Twilio from Salesforce. He is trying to make Twilio into Salesforce's image and is making it a terrible sales culture. So much change in territories and comp plans that it was impossible to build a pipeline. The comp plan is so hard to understand that reps just give up trying to figure it out. (30 pages long) Twilio pays comp 4 times a year. 45 days after the end of the quarter. And when they do pay comp it is usually wrong. There are constant battles between sales, operations and legal. The processes are so arduous to follow and they are constantly changing. And you better watch out if you want anything done quickly. The legal and operations teams have no sense of urgency. and if you do need something done outside of the process they will penalize you for it . There are so many cliques at Twilio that if you are not in the "cool crowd" then you are isolated and ignored. Favoritism is rampant. Reps who are favored get all the good leads and opportunities. Executive sales leadership is the worst I have ever experienced. They do not value salespeople who color outside the lines and if you upset the wrong person you get fired for some trumped up reason. If you don't fit into their sales model then they find ways to make you exit the company. Cutting territories, moving people around and reassigning accounts and pipeline. If you have a problem with management don't go to HR. All they do is tell your manager what you said. Bottom line-Twilio is a horrible place to work for salespeople.

Advice to Management

Listen to your salespeople, stop playing favorites. Value the contributions of everyone and make HR a safe harbor.

Apr 25, 2018 – CPO

We appreciate you taking the time to write this review, and of course, wish you had a different experience. We have experienced tremendous growth and change on the Sales side, and recognize that a... More

"Best company I have EVER worked for!"

Current Employee - Sales Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Twilio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Incredible technology, vision, leadership, culture and execution. Absolutely love working with our clients and am addicted to the "a ha moment" they inevitably have when they realize that Twilio can solve real, compelling and meaningful business challenges that they have been suffering through for years. Love the people here and I love the opportunity that each of us has to genuinely move the needle each and every day. So incredibly proud to be a part of this team and so blessed to have punched my ticket for this incredible rocket ship ride. GOOOO TWILIO!

Cons

Some, very minor growing pains associated with this meteoric rise to $1B and beyond. However that is to be expected. And management works quickly and diligently to address them. That is really all you can ask for.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! Marc is a STELLAR sales leader, George has brought discipline to the business and a renewed sense of purpose and Jeff is brilliant leader and a true visionary. Love the new, executive hires....Sara and Ron are both super solid! And thank you for constantly releasing new products and solutions for us to sell. Our customers are hungry and I feel like we keep them more than adequately fed with amazing tech and killer solutions.

Apr 9, 2018 – CPO

Thanks for your review! The Sales org has really grown in the last year and our GTM strategy is exciting. We have had the opportunity to add some significant talent to the team and their... More