Twilio Reviews | Glassdoor

4.3
Twilio CEO and Co-Founder Jeff Lawson
Jeff Lawson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Good work-life balance and culture" (in 6 reviews)

• "That seeps into every part of the company culture" (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "Growing pains with scaling the business" (in 23 reviews)

• "As with many fast growing companies, communication between teams could be improved" (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"First Job I've Ever Loved"

Current Employee - Senior Legal Counsel in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Legal Counsel in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twilio full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing culture and team. The enthusiasm of employees is unparalleled and I've worked many place over the past 3 decades. People truly care about each other and do their best to support each other meet our goals at a fast pace.

Cons

There is so much opportunity and growth potential that it's difficult to not feel overwhelmed by the amount of work that can be done.

Advice to Management

Invest even more in personnel.

Oct 15, 2018 – CPO

Thanks for your review. Glad to hear that you are enjoying your experience and the authentic nature of our culture. We have so much opportunity ahead of us. Following our strategic direction and... More

"I love this place! I feel like I've found my home."

Current Employee - Senior User Experience/UI Designer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior User Experience/UI Designer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twilio full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

What can I say? Twilio is a company that truly caught me by surprise. I've worked in all types of environments from agencies, large corporations, to companies creating products – none them come close to Twilio in how they treat their employees, the culture, the CEO, and the innovation. I feel like I "dated" a bunch of different jobs and finally found my dream job. That's not an exaggeration.

Things I love:

• Cool office space in downtown SF

• Friendly co-workers, humble yet good at what they do. No one makes you feel dumb if they have more experience than you. People want to help.

• Competitive salary, RSU's, great benefits for a super low cost for families, quarterly raises, unlimited vacation (with manager approval), weekly dinners and lunches, fridges and shelves stocked with drinks and snacks.

• Making really cool stuff, innovating, and being empowered and trusted to do your job – not micromanaged.

• Work from home option – this is especially important to me since I live in Sacramento and can only come in once or once every other week to the SF office.

• Great upper management – my boss is a fantastic leader (very hard to find) who empowers you to do your job, is concerned with your growth, and would help you grow in your skillset and career path no matter if you stayed at Twilio or left. That's the sign of great leadership.

• Great home/life balance – my manager has made it clear he doesn't want us working over our 8 hours in our work days. That rarely happens if ever in a tech company. I appreciate that and so does my family.

• Trending up – Twilio is growing like crazy, acquiring other software companies and taking the market by storm. That's exciting to be a part of.

Cons

I usually can find negatives but I really don't feel like anything is negative about the company, I really do love it here.
    Maybe the fact that it's growing so fast can be a little crazy, we're bringing in about an average of 20 people a week so we're running out of space in SF but other than that Twilio is really great.

Advice to Management

As the company continues to grow in 2019 and beyond don't be afraid to let it, but keep the identity and the culture that Jeff Lawson (CEO) created when the company was much smaller.
    I think if the core values and the culture is maintained during the growth period I think Twilio will continue to be a special place to work.

"Exciting technology up & comer"

I have been working at Twilio full-time

Pros

Unique company with high growth potential

Cons

Growing pains that come with rapid expansion

4. "Awesome company"

Current Employee - Architect in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Architect in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twilio full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is just an awesome company. Great leaders, great products and friendly colleagues. The company is in a hyper growth time and the management knows where to put their efforts. Twilio has awesome benefits, great atmosphere and challenging problems to solve. Come join us!!

Cons

Absolutely no cons. This is probably one company in Bay area that has got it right.

Advice to Management

Advice? We trust them. Great leadership team.

5. "Amazing company to work for!"

I have been working at Twilio full-time

Pros

Inclusion & Diversity program is flawless.

Cons

There really aren't very many.

Advice to Management

n/a

"Best employment experience to date"

I have been working at Twilio full-time

Pros

- Tons of opportunity for ownership, leadership and advancement
    - Successful, stable company with clear growth trajectory
    - CEO and other executive leadership are down-to-earth, approachable, but also brilliant
    - International / Global presence and offices everywhere, easy to work remotely
    - Really yummy food on the days they feed us
    - Inclusive and rich company culture that looks for "culture-add," not "culture fit"
    - People around you are Doers—they are leaders in their own right and love to do and make and build
    - Extremely competitive compensation package

Cons

- Pretty young design org - some growing pains in leveraging design methodologies across the company
    - Some silos among and between teams- that's not always bad tho

"Fun, Hardworking, Open"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twilio full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hard-working and smart people, they are nice, team oriented, and believe in the purpose of Twilio.

Cons

Not enough infrastructure in place yet to keep up with growth, but that is changing.

Oct 27, 2018 – CPO

Thanks for your review. There is a strong commitment to our purpose and a shared ownership in realizing that purpose. We are definitely working on all the infrastructure pieces as well.

8. "Fast growing company with great culture"

I have been working at Twilio full-time

Pros

A tremendous amount of ownership
    Draw the owl

Cons

not that I can think of

Oct 27, 2018 – CPO

Continue to draw the owl - thank you!

9. "Join Twilio!"

I have been working at Twilio full-time

Pros

High Energy, Innovative, Very Smart

Cons

Higher degrees of messy and/or ambiguous

Oct 27, 2018 – CPO

Thanks for your feedback. There is a ton of energy around what we are doing and what we are building. We're also working really hard to calibrate with the right amount of structure and process to... More

"Amazing Company!"

I have been working at Twilio full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

By far, the best company I've worked for. Great culture that doesn't feel contrived or forced. A lot of smart people who are passionate about their work. You can tell that everyone is committed to making the company successful.

Cons

Growing pains similar to that of any company scaling this fast. Lack of systems to support growth which leads to manual processes and duplicative work. Leadership is working to solve that problem.

Oct 15, 2018 – CPO

Thank you for your review. Always happy to hear the positive culture comments. Maintaining that culture as we grow is so important to us. Systems support is one of our top priorities this year... More