Twilio Reviews | Glassdoor

4.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Twilio CEO and Co-Founder Jeff Lawson
Jeff Lawson

Pros
  • Company strongly believes in a good work/life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Every Monday, Jeff Lawson (CEO) holds an all-hands meeting where he discusses things that the company is doing well and could be doing better (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • The growing pains of a burgeoning successful startup apply (in 15 reviews)

• somewhat typical growing pains experienced by fast growing start ups (nothing earth shattering nor systemically broken) (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Amazing Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twilio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Twilio is by far the best company I have worked for (and I have worked at a few tech companies). It has this amazing culture of balancing work with play, of being inclusive of people and being led by a CEO who truly cares about the people. The work is interesting and innovative, and people are excited about what we are doing here. It really is a great group of smart, innovative and caring people. It is not perfect, normal bumps and warts, but you get the sense that management is trying to improve and grow the company.

Cons

Honestly can not think of any cons right now. Health benefits could be a little better, but I assume as we grow that will happen. The new office location makes meals a little more challenging but I understand why they want us to get into the neighborhood (lunch is provided 2-3 days a week).

Advice to Management

Keep staying true to the culture.

2. "Incredible People & Great Opportunity"

I have been working at Twilio full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I can't say enough about the people that work at Twilio. It's an incredible team of hard working passionate people that embrace their coworkers. And they're a lot of fun: corn hole tournaments in the office, social work environment, dinners on Wednesday nights with fascinating speakers, and fun events of all types for foodies, techies, the outdoorsy, gamers and everything in between.

There is also incredibly opportunity because of an incredible platform and relentless innovation. Management is very accessible and an incredible wealth of knowledge (especially Jeff Lawson and Bobby Napiltonia).

Great training and on-boarding process (across departments) that welcomes you to the company, trains you with a great skill set, and familiarizes you with the people and product that make up the company.

Cons

You will be working hard and sometimes long hours, but it's well worth it.

There are always processes that can be made more efficient (especially inter-departmental processes), but the company is always actively seeking to improve these.

Advice to Management

Keep the great work environment, culture, and benefits that help you set a high bar for employees.

"Professional Growth Opportunities and Happy People Abound!"

Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twilio full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been given more opportunities to take on responsibility here than any job in the past. When you deliver here, it is recognized and rewarded. I am very proud to be a member of this amazing team of achievers and I'm excited to come into to work here each day.

Cons

High growth can sometimes lead to growing pains. Sometimes we can be a bit inefficient as we're figuring out responsibilities and onboarding new employees.

5. "Great people, fun challenges, exciting to be a part of a rapidly growing company in technology"

I have been working at Twilio full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You are not limited by bureaucracy; if you have an idea that would improve your work, you are generally always encouraged to execute it

Cons

Company is huge, slowly losing its startup feel

Advice to Management

More social events!

"Twilio is a great place to work, good people who care about the power of communications"

I have been working at Twilio full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Twilio has a great company culture and is growing fast. It's an exciting time to be there, and a fun place to work. The nine core values shape the environment. It's a lesser known startup with a lot of big customers, and it's cool to watch our customers succeed with our product.

Cons

Fast growth can come with a lot of awkward growth.

"My best job so far"

I have been working at Twilio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoy working at Twilio because I know we're providing a high quality service to developers. As a developer myself, it makes me feel good that I can stand behind our API and recommend it to anyone. I've also enjoyed the people at Twilio - folks have been very friendly.

Cons

It's a typical startup environment, so the goalposts seem to move pretty frequently. Many policies and procedures are tried - some take, some do not. But I am given a lot of freedom to exercise my judgment and do my job how I see fit, so this affects me less than it might if I had less personal responsibility.

Advice to Management

Consider refactoring the org to hire outside the valley and support remote work. It's hard to compete for talent in SF, even with the large number of talented people that live and work there.

"Great place to work... company vision is something you can really buy into"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twilio full-time

Pros

Normal San Francisco Startup feeling. People are great and work life is decent (not a 9-5 shop, but not a 15 hour day shop either). Benefits are pretty standard for SF.

Cons

No real cons - the reporting structure is pretty flat, and most everyone is pretty approachable. It is a pretty development centric company, so depending on what you do, could be seen as either.

"Best career decision I ever made"

I have been working at Twilio full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Many companies talk about caring about employees and customers but the actions tell a different story - this company really means it and acts on it right from the top.

Great caring people with great attitude and amazing skill set.

Culture and how you treat people really matters here. This is the most welcome I have felt at any company I have worked at.

Cons

None that I have come across so far. Not everything is perfect of course but nothing that isn't normal for fast growing companies and the will to learn and improve is there.

Advice to Management

Keep going. Preserve the culture even as the company grows.

"I feel very lucky to have found a job at Twilio."

I have been working at Twilio full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I actually like going to work everyday. The people I work with are dedicated to their jobs but not so single-minded that we can't have fun during the day. I feel like I am appreciated and my input is valued.

Cons

The commute to the city is a hike (but expected and a trade off for a higher salary). At least it's not too far from Bart.

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you're doing.

Twilio Response

Sep 9, 2014 – Chief People Officer

Awesome input and thanks for taking the time to drop a note into glassdoor! Sandy

"The 9 Values are For Real!"

Current Employee - Senior Technical Support Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Support Engineer

I have been working at Twilio full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love it here. People care; about the product, about each other, about the customer.

The talent at every corner of this company is staggering. And everyone I have dealt with is willing to help and teach and make things work.

Cons

A little process, but not too much, would be a great help as we grow.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you do. Keep empowering employees and customers. Keep "doing".