Twilio Reviews in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

4.4
Twilio CEO and Co-Founder Jeff Lawson
Jeff Lawson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Plus small team sizes (5-7 per team) afford a lot of opportunities to learn and grow (in 3 reviews)

• Twilio has a great company culture and is growing fast (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • The growing pains of a burgeoning successful startup apply (in 15 reviews)

• Not sure how they came up with the lunch schedule but its only 2-3 times a week which I wish was everyday but there's plenty of snacks available (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Amazing Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twilio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Twilio is by far the best company I have worked for (and I have worked at a few tech companies). It has this amazing culture of balancing work with play, of being inclusive of people and being led by a CEO who truly cares about the people. The work is interesting and innovative, and people are excited about what we are doing here. It really is a great group of smart, innovative and caring people. It is not perfect, normal bumps and warts, but you get the sense that management is trying to improve and grow the company.

Cons

Honestly can not think of any cons right now. Health benefits could be a little better, but I assume as we grow that will happen. The new office location makes meals a little more challenging but I understand why they want us to get into the neighborhood (lunch is provided 2-3 days a week).

Advice to Management

Keep staying true to the culture.

2. "Wonderful Culture, Great Company"

Current Employee - People Team in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - People Team in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twilio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture at Twilio is so upbeat and welcoming, you actually look forward to going into work each day! Twilio truly cares about its employees and is constantly striving to create an inclusive environment for ALL. The company actually upholds their 9 values and stays true to them - even through their interview process, it is clear that they want to find other people who value these same things as well. Also, the community involvement and outreach is deeply embedded here, and the Employee Experience team makes it easy to get involved.

Cons

Could provide more team building activities to employees

Advice to Management

Continue being transparent with the organization, provide upward mobility across ALL departments.

3. "Technical Support Engineer"

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twilio full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Twilio is family! At Twilio, you are not just a number or a body, you are a person with actual feelings and opinions and every single person matters.

Cons

Literally no cons at all!

Advice to Management

None, whatsoever.

"I've been here 6 months and still can't believe it's a real place"

I have been working at Twilio full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There's so much to love! The company as a whole seems to genuinely care about their employees, customers and community, but there isn't any pressure to join in anything you don't agree with.

I get the sense that management cares about my personal success and accomplishing my career goals almost as much as I do. There's a shocking amount of encouragement to develop skills that will help me personally, even if the company won't see a direct benefit.

That seeps into every part of the company culture. The more our customers succeed, the more the company succeeds. It's like the primary goal is to allow people (employees and customers) to do great things, and making money is just a natural consequence of that mindset.

It's so refreshing.

This is about as far from Uber as it gets. The Twilio CEO isn't a creep and half of the executives are women. As far as I've seen, everyone is treated with respect and nobody gets shat on for being different.

Cons

We aren't as spoiled as Google: there are days we have to buy our own lunches. And there's no towel service or on site laundry facilities.

I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel for complaints. I like it here, can you tell?

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

"Twilio Employee"

I have been working at Twilio full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Twilio really cares about their customers, the community, the environment and their employees. I have never worked for a company that is so involved in community events.

Cons

the only con for me is the location because it's a long commute, but I'm getting used to it.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great support !

"Great Time to be at Twilio"

Current Contractor - Technical Recruiter in San Francisco, CA
    Current Contractor - Technical Recruiter in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twilio as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Smart, collaborative, and inclusive.
    Nice perks (snacks, stand up desks, new office, company dinners)
    Management cares to build an equal opportunity and diverse team
    Nice and motivated coworkers

Cons

growing pains. can be too fast paced at times

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

"Loved the culture, as well as the mission"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Twilio (More than a year)

Pros

I really loved how much everyone within the company was behind what we were trying to solve in the space that we were in. The culture was really great, and their core values show you that they are not only a great group of people but stand for something great. Management was great.

Cons

Work came home sometimes, although not a con for everyone.. it could be. Really not even that big of a con for me because they made up in other areas.

Advice to Management

Keep doing great.

"By far the best company I've ever worked for"

Current Employee - Developer Evangelist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Developer Evangelist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twilio full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Twilio has the brightest and best colleagues I've ever worked with. Company employees truly live the core values and they drive the culture in a positive direction. As a software developer the mission to build products that are used by fellow developers to fuel the future of communications really resonates with me.

Cons

The growth in all measures, especially headcount and revenue has been difficult to keep up with. The company has tripled in size since I've been here (3 years when there were 200 employees). Some people who've been here for longer than me have seen headcount 10x since they joined when the company was 50-60 people. While growth isn't inherently bad, it can be difficult to keep up with the changes each year. Eventually (say, 4-5 years from now) I'm sure bureaucracy will creep in but for now we move fast and constantly ship awesome new products.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring software developers for Marketing and many of the Sales roles. The more non-technical people that are hired will dilute the culture. Already there is a rift between technical and non-technical people in some areas of the company.

"Good company to grow up with"

Current Employee - G&A in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - G&A in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twilio full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of bright, motivated people who are supportive, and generally motivated to build a really good company. Leadership (especially CEO) is very transparent about what's going on in the business. Twilio.org is doing some good charity work.

Cons

Sometimes frugality wins over long term investments

"Sales"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Twilio full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great product, great customers, limitless market opportunity. Good people fun atmosphere

Cons

Some senior management is experienced. Market is still not defined and may not be for some time.

Advice to Management

Continue to try new things. Do not discount potential solutions or process, because that is how big old companies do it.