Twitch Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 11, 2019

3.7
Emmett Shear

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "And the work/life balance is pretty good, people rarely work nights or weekends on my team at least" (in 14 reviews)

• "And if you're into it, we get great perks and good Amazon benefits" (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • "We're in a unique position and experiencing some growing pains" (in 12 reviews)

• "Because of mandates from upper management pushing a product or idea because they think it will drive minutes" (in 8 reviews)

"Why I love working at Twitch"

Current Employee - Software Development Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Development Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitch full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been an Engineering Manager at Twitch for over 2 years. I’ve had a long career and I can now say that this is one of the most enjoyable work experiences I have ever had. Why?

The people are passionate about the product, focusing on success of both creators and viewers.

People have the best intentions here, collaborate and pitch in across teams to get stuff done and don’t just think about what’s in it for me. I’ve seen the land grab type of org, this is not that way.

The hiring process is rigorous. If you get a job here you are smart and capable.

The company has been growing incredibly fast and this has opened up opportunities for those who want to grow into new, bigger roles. I’ve promoted multiple devs to SDE II and SDE III and had an SDE become an SDM.

It’s fun working with cool, nice people on a fun product. And yes, the new office is amazing and the food is off the charts.

Cons

Need more cross org shared dev processes and support.

It’s easy to gain weight.

Advice to Management

Continue working to bring more cross org alignment. Solicit input from directors and managers for company wide process changes.

"Great place"

Current Employee - Senior Director in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Killer product that streamers and viewers love
    - Incredible growth potential with so many low hanging fruits across product and business
    - Solid career potential
    - Amazing food, perks etc.

Cons

- Still a bit too startup like
    - Need to scale tools and processes

"Good, Bad, Ups and Downs. Twitchin’ ain’t eZ."

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Twitch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great office space. Smart people. The bacon in the cafeteria is good. The coffee is god-awful. The quality of the platform can be good.

Cons

The culture is fractured. There is no platform scale. The bacon and office space isn’t enough to cancel out the cancers. There are people who portray their work as at-scale. The cracks are opening. A platform level extinction event will occur and it will be lame-scale based. Symptom? Some put themselves (ego) before the good of the company and the whole-Twitch employee community. Failure to cooperate and be humble (Kings).

Advice to Management

Isolate and marginalize Kings in middle management who bring less to the table. Constant group drama, high team turn over and repeated sub par employee survey results are indicative. Bring back embroidered and high quality hoodies. It was a badge of honor that was literally ripped from our souls. Consider making them award based? For one or two years of service? Not a grab bag item for all. Seemed like the wrong expense to cut when there are so many other juicy targets that would result in bigger, faster, healthier results.

4. "Love it"

I have been working at Twitch full-time

Pros

Super chill place to work! Friendly people, smart leadership, diverse. Good office space and perks. Strong brand, rapid growth.

Cons

Some frameworks are missing from the company to make it smoother, BI tools for example.

"They're doing something right."

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitch full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Business is doing great, employees are treated well, leadership is honest and humble. Engineers are given latitude to solve problems however they need to. The best people I've ever worked with are on my team right now. Twitch is doing something right to crush it this hard.

Cons

Some teams pushing hard for broader adoption of Amazon tools and technology, seems to be half the company all-in on Amazon and half very skeptical. So far it hasn't gotten in the way, but I work in an org that wouldn't be affected since Amazon isn't doing what we are.

Advice to Management

Whatever you're doing is working, keep doing it.

"Horrible Culture"

I have been working at Twitch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you love Twitch then that will help you drive through the horrible work culture and people.

Cons

Very political have to watch your back.

"Bleed Purple!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitch full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is the most passionate and caring workplace I’ve ever been at. From the CEO down to my manager and the people who sit next to me, everyone shares enthusiasm for Twitch. We hear daily from people whose lives were changed by Twitch giving them a platform to be heard and make a living doing what they care about. There’s little red tape in our way to get things done. Product and engineering teams work well together, customer support and partnerships are highly valued and have a seat at the table. Every team I’ve worked with has actually taken customer feedback seriously and work to improve things. I feel like I can change things that I don’t like. Everyone goes to TwitchCon and this year’s was LIT. It’s not a perfect place of course but I’m proud to work here. Bleed Purple!

Cons

We’ve grown really quickly. I love seeing all the new faces but of course there are some growing pains while we try to figure out how to support this many people working together at once.

"Product-driven company"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Twitch full-time

Pros

I'm giving 5 stars because I do think Twitch is a great place to work.

Most of the Glassdoor reviews are polarized, either Twitch rules or Twitch sucks. I'm not sure how helpful that is so here are two observations~
    1. It's a product-driven company. CEO is a former engineer turned product manager. If you work in engineering, UX, or any function that directly contributes to product, you're highly valued. If you're in partnerships, customer support, marketing, or any other function you'll have a harder time getting things done.
    2. Engineering quality varies massively by team. Some managers are running a tight ship and others just let their engineers do whatever they want. Seattle is corporate, Irvine is the army, and San Francisco is wild west.

If you're thinking of joining, great, if you like the team you'll be working with Twitch won't let you down.

Cons

Enough said, read the section before.

9. "Great place to learn"

I have been working at Twitch full-time

Pros

Smart people, good food, cool office, fun atmosphere, excited about where we are going.

Cons

Slow processes, lack of accountability in some teams.

"Very good tech company"

Current Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitch full-time

Pros

Twitch is my third gig in SF / SV and I have numerous other data points from others in my network. I'd say Twitch is top 10% at _least_ among established bay area tech companies. Pay's strong if not top of class, talent is great on eng and product, office and work/life balance great as well. Engineering brand isn't what it should be given the talent, but there's some reason for that: lack of CTO, open source contributions, tech marketing. Product brand is strong at least among gaming enthusiasts.

Cons

Like any other top tech company, people complain about the smallest things.

Advice to Management

Keep being you, do what makes you different from Amazon.