Twitch Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
Emmett Shear

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "And if you're into it, we get great perks and good Amazon benefits" (in 16 reviews)

• "The company seems to endorse work life balance at first glance" (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "We're in a unique position and experiencing some growing pains" (in 11 reviews)

• "Because of mandates from upper management pushing a product or idea because they think it will drive minutes" (in 8 reviews)

"Proud to be a Twitchling!"

I have been working at Twitch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The leadership team if focused, transparent, and making thoughtful, well-informed decisions. Employee's voices are heard, appreciated, and respected. Great new office. Fantastic perks.

Cons

We are still working through some challenges, but hey, what do you expect when you are growing quickly?

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Be careful of pace, people are grinding it out and work-life balance for some teams in virtually non-existent. Manage out the resters and vesters.

"Legitimately Satisfied"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Twitch (More than 3 years)

Pros

Twitch isn’t perfect, but it really beats any other workplace by a wide margin from top to bottom. We have a founder-CEO who’s taken Twitch from an idea to a startup to an acquisition to a strategic arm of AWS and still sits in our (brand-new) office working alongside everyone in the company. We have strong female presence among upper management (CMO, COO, some VPs). We have managers who are subject matter experts and actually care for the people under them. I’m excited by the challenges of my job and I feel motivated by the people around me. The company has changed so much in the past 3 years that I barely recognize it, but I’m still impressed by the caliber of my peers.

Cons

Pay just isn’t on par with top tech companies in the area.

Advice to Management

Most of the grumblings I hear about from colleagues are about pay. Please work with Amazon to ensure one of the wealthiest companies on the planet isn’t losing its best people due to frugality.

"Glassdoor Reviews don't do this place justice."

I have been working at Twitch full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you want to ship software that genuinely changes peoples' lives, Twitch is a great choice. It may sound silly but every week we hear from content creators who have managed to leave behind a job that made them unhappy in order to stream full time for their community. And if you're into it, we get great perks and good Amazon benefits. Comp is competitive, if maybe not out-of-this-world.

For some reason, some of our colleagues haven't been kind to Twitch on Glassdoor in the past. I'll just say that I'm happy, and so are all of the people that I work with here. After working for a big pressure-cooker tech company in a past life, I can say Twitch supports an amazingly positive and collaborative environment while still managing to get things done.

Cons

Twitch is trying to do too much, and as a result some teams seem confused as to how their initiatives fit in.

Advice to Management

I'm really surprised at some of the negative reviews from the past year or so. I'm betting a few bad apples are trying to spoil the bunch. Keep on making Twitch a positive place to do something amazing!

"Industry Leader"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Twitch full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Video stack is truly cutting edge. There are not many jobs which allow you to push the boundaries of technology, this is one of them. I learned more at Twitch than I ever imagined and I'd happily work there again if I had to make my decision over again.

Cons

There really aren't many. Amazon integration is pretty thin and Twitch runs on its own. There was some dissatisfaction as I was leaving but it seemed to affect other teams more than my own.

Advice to Management

Keep taking care of your best people and they'll take care of everyone else.

"Great for self-starters"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Twitch (More than a year)

Pros

I’ve found opportunity is everywhere at Twitch, waiting for those who take initiative. If you’re self-motivated and willing to bring something intelligent to the table, you’ll be happy here.

Cons

The counter to everything above- I see some people drown trying too hard to swim in their own lane. It takes a village to scale a successful startup into a 1000+ person company in a couple of years. Team boundaries aren’t always a good thing.

Advice to Management

Provide strong direction so everyone knows what to work on.

"Excellent Team"

I have been working at Twitch full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

When I first joined Twitch I was starstruck by all the big names and faces I got to support and work with. When the honeymoon ended, I realized I'm working with some of the best professionals in the world in a business that really cares about making an impact. I come to work every day looking forward to interacting with my team more than fawning over celebs.

Twitch has grown very quickly and there are a lot of new faces across all departments, which I really like to see. Feels like we're investing in the right things and leadership is pretty transparent about where we're headed. Competition in our space is heating up, lots of money getting thrown around, but Twitch just has the best product.

Cons

None to speak of, really.

"Getting on the right Track"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free food and unlimited drinks and snacks. Comparable perks and above average compensation. However, what excites me the most is the growth trajectory they are on right now after finally finding the right balance to monetize and make the community happy. That means growth in scale and size of the products, teams and engineering opportunities, with the backing of Amazon to make it happen. I feel now is really the best time to join if you have missed the pre acquisition opportunity as finally the leadership has started taking the issue of employees grievances seriously and making changes to gradually make it a better workplace for everyone.

Cons

A few pre acquisition employees feel entitled to only work on their own schedule and are just waiting for their last vest before they go. Good Riddance! Bad glassdoor rating from older days making it hard to provide the right impression to prospective new candidates making hiring unnecessarily hard.

Advice to Management

Continue listening tonthe feedback and your employees and address issues that are pain points for many people and you can turn it around.

"Very happy @ Twitch"

Current Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitch full-time

Pros

Engineering teams move quickly. There's no bureaucracy in the way. Engineers here care about quality of the product and code. Management is transparent about priorities and answer questions honestly. If you're into video games, the office is a really fun place to play with your coworkers during breaks.

Cons

Deadlines are frequent and sometimes hours are long, but everyone pitches in.

Advice to Management

Better wellness benefits would go a long way.

"Over The Hump"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitch full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Twitch took a beating on Glassdoor over the past year or so. Some of the complaints are valid and have been addressed - for example, many leadership positions have been filled with qualified, talented people and the rest-and-vesters are rolling out. Compensation is solid and backed by AMZN equity. CEO is learning from past mistakes and no longer micromanages.

Twitch dominates live streaming and is growing with esports at a prodigious rate. Now is a good time to join this company.

Cons

Some toxicity from disgruntled employees continues to be tolerated.

Advice to Management

Cut failing products, double down on what's working. Same advice regarding your employees.

"Best Brand in Live Streaming"

I have been working at Twitch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Best brand in live streaming
    - Great connections in gaming industry
    - Very smart coworkers, good management
    - Company values honesty and transparency
    - Individuals have impact

Cons

- Unclear career path for non-tech employees
    - No minority representation in senior leadership