Twitch Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.7
Emmett Shear

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "And the work/life balance is pretty good, people rarely work nights or weekends on my team at least" (in 14 reviews)

• "And if you're into it, we get great perks and good Amazon benefits" (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • "We're in a unique position and experiencing some growing pains" (in 11 reviews)

• "Because of mandates from upper management pushing a product or idea because they think it will drive minutes" (in 8 reviews)

1. "Challenging, sustainable"

I have been working at Twitch full-time

Pros

- Challenging and fast-paced environment
    - Work-life balance, flexibility
    - Great food
    - Tight-knit company and fans

Cons

- Reorgs seem to be arbitrary

"Product-driven company"

I have been working at Twitch full-time

Pros

I'm giving 5 stars because I do think Twitch is a great place to work.

Most of the Glassdoor reviews are polarized, either Twitch rules or Twitch sucks. I'm not sure how helpful that is so here are two observations~
    1. It's a product-driven company. CEO is a former engineer turned product manager. If you work in engineering, UX, or any function that directly contributes to product, you're highly valued. If you're in partnerships, customer support, marketing, or any other function you'll have a harder time getting things done.
    2. Engineering quality varies massively by team. Some managers are running a tight ship and others just let their engineers do whatever they want. Seattle is corporate, Irvine is the army, and San Francisco is wild west.

If you're thinking of joining, great, if you like the team you'll be working with Twitch won't let you down.

Cons

Enough said, read the section before.

"Very good tech company"

Current Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitch full-time

Pros

Twitch is my third gig in SF / SV and I have numerous other data points from others in my network. I'd say Twitch is top 10% at _least_ among established bay area tech companies. Pay's strong if not top of class, talent is great on eng and product, office and work/life balance great as well. Engineering brand isn't what it should be given the talent, but there's some reason for that: lack of CTO, open source contributions, tech marketing. Product brand is strong at least among gaming enthusiasts.

Cons

Like any other top tech company, people complain about the smallest things.

Advice to Management

Keep being you, do what makes you different from Amazon.

"Growing fast, Good team!"

I have been working at Twitch full-time

Pros

If you already like Twitch, working here is amazing.. but maybe not what you expect. Twitch is a business just like any other, and it's part of Amazon so when it's work time, it's work hard time. We have smart people here from all kinds of functions, universities, backgrounds. Some of them aren't that familiar with gaming or even Twitch but we are a team.. contrary to some popular beliefs our diversity makes us strong. And yes there are games in the office and plenty of people to play them with!

Cons

We've grown fast and there are parts of the company lagging behind. They'll catch up but we gotta be patient.

5. "Growing Pains but Fun and Creative"

Former Employee - Video Editor in Berkeley, CA
    Former Employee - Video Editor in Berkeley, CA

I worked at Twitch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Freedom/flexibility
    Amazon stock
    Free breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks
    Fun atmosphere
    Room for creative thinking
    Free massages

Cons

A feeling of instability
    Disorganized
    Constantly changing goals that aren’t always communicated clearly

Advice to Management

Hang in there. Growing this fast is hard.

"Great place to work, people need to get a reality check"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitch full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

When interviewing for a job at Twitch I was worried about all the negative things I have read here. After a few months I am seeing a trend: employees complaining about small issues and constantly thinking they are being underpaid. I might be wrong but it seems like the engineers/ IT staff are looking at Facebook/Google salaries, thinking they should be earning more, and that they are doing Twitch a favor by staying here. Yes, the salaries should probably increase somewhat but Twitch is still a great place to work at. I really like my boss and my co-workers and I love health insurance and other benefits we have. It seems like the company is actively working on improving things.

Cons

Hiring new people takes a long time. Career growth opportunities are not always clear but I think they are starting to address the issue

"Glassdoor Reviews don't do this place justice."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitch full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you want to ship software that genuinely changes peoples' lives, Twitch is a great choice. It may sound silly but every week we hear from content creators who have managed to leave behind a job that made them unhappy in order to stream full time for their community. And if you're into it, we get great perks and good Amazon benefits. Comp is competitive, if maybe not out-of-this-world.

For some reason, some of our colleagues haven't been kind to Twitch on Glassdoor in the past. I'll just say that I'm happy, and so are all of the people that I work with here. After working for a big pressure-cooker tech company in a past life, I can say Twitch supports an amazingly positive and collaborative environment while still managing to get things done.

Cons

Twitch is trying to do too much, and as a result some teams seem confused as to how their initiatives fit in.

Advice to Management

I'm really surprised at some of the negative reviews from the past year or so. I'm betting a few bad apples are trying to spoil the bunch. Keep on making Twitch a positive place to do something amazing!

"Legitimately Satisfied"

Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Twitch (More than 3 years)

Pros

Twitch isn’t perfect, but it really beats any other workplace by a wide margin from top to bottom. We have a founder-CEO who’s taken Twitch from an idea to a startup to an acquisition to a strategic arm of AWS and still sits in our (brand-new) office working alongside everyone in the company. We have strong female presence among upper management (CMO, COO, some VPs). We have managers who are subject matter experts and actually care for the people under them. I’m excited by the challenges of my job and I feel motivated by the people around me. The company has changed so much in the past 3 years that I barely recognize it, but I’m still impressed by the caliber of my peers.

Cons

Pay just isn’t on par with top tech companies in the area.

Advice to Management

Most of the grumblings I hear about from colleagues are about pay. Please work with Amazon to ensure one of the wealthiest companies on the planet isn’t losing its best people due to frugality.

"Commitment not compliance"

Current Employee - Engineering Manager
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager

I have been working at Twitch full-time

Pros

Working for Twitch has been the best amongst all the companies I've worked for.

It is not perfect, but Twitch has a lot of things down:
    1. Working hard pays off. I've been at some job where hours worked matter way more than performance. Twitch values delivering and hours and location are pretty damn flexible.
    2. Plenty of opportunity. Twitch has a lot of growth and mobility internally. Whether that is upward or lateral I've seen many people transition from engineer to manager, tpm to engineer. Product manager to TPM. PM to engineer and seen a lot of these people thrive. I've also seen people given opportunity to take on higher positions. These moves doesn't always work out but in many cases it has and it seems much less lethargic than at other jobs I've been at.
    3. Leadership is smart. While Twitch has always had a lot of raw talent, lately we've been bringing in seasoned leaders that have both the talent and the experience to lead their worlds and inspire the rest.
    4. New kitchen is awesome, perks in general are great. Game rooms, unlimited food and beverages, arcade, massive lounge for you + guests (food + alcohol), flexible hours, unlimited PTO which people actually use, gym membership or variable random Twic health stuff covered.

Cons

1. The pay is in a weird spot where people who have been here for awhile are capped out due to the stock growth. Doing a good job doesn't have a lot of room for these long timers to be rewarded since they have no more room in their pay bands. This doesn't mean don't come here, it just means don't be afraid to negotiate with your recruiter. The more people that do the more likely these bands will finally be adjusted and everyone wins.

2. Despite all of the above, people here sometimes complain about all the benefits. I'm not trying to make this a con is actually a pro. It is worth calling out though that we have people that are unhappy with the minutia of drink provided or when dinner hours are 5-6 (rather than 6-7 on all days except friday since we have a happy hour at 5) they post frown faces. This is a minority but certainly a frustrating one as someone who is blown away by the perks and food etc.

Advice to Management

I think we really need traction on compensation changes. There has been good talk about this from Sara our COO on how we are working to adjust the pay bands for our area since we are not comparable to traditional offices.

The changes actually need to happen though -- People are leaving because it is hard for long term loyalty to be rewarded and new candidates will turn down our otherwise great offering because of these bands.

10. "Welcome everyone, choose the best"

I have been working at Twitch full-time

Pros

The title of the review is my favorite Twitch value. We work with some of the smartest, hardest working, pain in the butt people on the coolest website on the Internet.

Cons

I have to watch with an alt account because the staff badge carries too much responsibility. Sad times.