Twitch Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated June 13, 2018

Full-timePart-time

Emmett Shear

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great perks, nothing to complain about" (in 15 reviews)

• "The company seems to endorse work life balance at first glance" (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "We're in a unique position and experiencing some growing pains" (in 11 reviews)

• "Because of mandates from upper management pushing a product or idea because they think it will drive minutes" (in 8 reviews)

1. "Great product with a massive following, management moving in a good direction"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitch full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The user base is dominant in the space, and growing. Great growth prospects for the company, and for careers among those looking to drive the company forward. Very exciting time to be at the company.

Cons

Still some growing pains from being a growth focused startup to a more mature company. New blood is welcome.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing the company forward to better ways of operating. Communicate your vision more clearly. Don't get distracted by the inevitable whiners.

2. "Great Place to Work*"

Current Employee - Technical Recruiter
    Current Employee - Technical Recruiter

I have been working at Twitch full-time

Pros

Lots of flexibility and freedom with how we operate on a day to day. Original CEO Emmett still in charge and provides a level of security from overwhelming Amazon policies.

Cons

Growing pains come with rapid growth, and not everyone is 100% committed to the growth plan in the past few months

Advice to Management

Please don't add bar raisers for interviews

3. "Kind of all over the place"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitch full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, excellent insurance, okay offices, challenging work

Cons

The amount of direction changes and reorgs we've gone through has made me sort of tune out what's going on anywhere above me in the org chart.

"Twitch has so much potential"

Current Employee - Senior Engineering Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineering Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Twitch is an incredible company. The culture here is awesome. Twitch has a culture of delegation and collaboration. At the IC level, there's little politics and you're given full ownership of your work. If you can do it, or convince someone else to do it, you're given the green light. There's no artificial limit. The hierarchy is flat. Engineers have a lot of power to drive things, make decisions and influence products.

It has all the other perks you could imagine: free catered food, physiotherapists, flexible hours, work from home, unlimited PTOs, higher than average compensation.

The brand is loved by its users. The product is fun to work on, and the challenges are always there.

The CEO loves the company and is very transparent, it doesn't feel corporate at all here.

Cons

At the management level, there's more politics. The right choices are not always taken. There are a few senior employees that are obviously demotivated that are just waiting for their restricted stock units to vest; they bring the morale of a team down and should be gotten rid of.

Because the company has grown so much in little time, there are a few systems that have no owners, there are a few processes that are unclear.

The CEO has the founder syndrome, so there can be attempts at micro-managing certain team decisions. I don't think he realizes he has this power, so just something to be aware of.

Advice to Management

Twitch is a growing teenager, this company is barely 10 years old and it has grown so much in the last years. The advice to management is to make sure this growth is properly distributed. Get rid of the bad apples, rewards the right contributors.

"Some culture issues, but improving"

I have been working at Twitch full-time

Pros

Culture, perks, benefits are all great. Smart people who are willing to help you learn and grow

Cons

Clique-y, hard to meet new people or feel included, constant changes so it's hard to know what's really happening

"Amazing entry level and low level management with terrible senior management"

Former Employee - Marketing
    Former Employee - Marketing

I worked at Twitch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free food every day, game rooms, happy hour on Friday and free in-office massages

Cons

Senior Management lie through their teeth to gain compliance from staff, only to turn around and do exactly what they promised they werent going to do. The partnerships team is an absolute joke, they let random employees do the hard work by proactively reaching out to creators with good numbers on other platforms. When you walk to the partnerships side of Twitch HQ, you might find half the team playing catch in the walkways or standing in the corner talking about last night's overwatch league match. When working with any team in Twitch, expect deadlines to be pushed 2,3, even 4 times. The company has been a train wreck that plays favorites for way too long.

Advice to Management

Acknowledge where your talent lies, even if you're friends with someone that isn't up to standard. At the end of the day, promoting or keeping people around because they are your friend and you like that is extremely demotivating and very unprofessional

"New COO is getting a reputation of choosing friendship over talent"

I have been working at Twitch full-time

Pros

Our community, competitive salaries, and unlimited PTO.

Cons

Going through growth challenges and leadership is lacking. New COO is building a reputation of bringing Pandora to Twitch.

Advice to Management

I thought our leadership would get better with the new COO but it is evident she is bringing her friends over from Pandora rather than hiring the best people. I understand bringing in people you trust but it should not be at the expense of competency. Her friends have been fast tracked and it shows. I have to work with many of them and they are not qualified for the positions. We thought things would get better with the new COO and were originally excited to work for her. Now it looks like she is trying to help friends and make us more like Pandora. I support the vision but am not impressed with her hiring decisions and now question her judgement. We need leadership we can trust to pull off our objectives.

"Twitch is awesome other than the whiny co-workers"

I have been working at Twitch full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

We move really quickly here. Our product teams are constantly shipping and are not blocked by management or other product orgs.
    We are customer-obsessed. Everything we do is to improve our product for the benefit of our customers.
    We have great perks and benefits.
    Great location in the center of SF.
    We get all the benefits of Amazon without the full drag of the Amazon culture (though this is changing).
    Our leadership is improving - Sara is a great step in the right direction.

Cons

So many whiny, entitled brats work here. It takes a lot of patience to interact with them.
    We have a lot of people that were here before the acquisition and they are completely checked out.

Advice to Management

Get more people like Sara.
    Get a CPO and empower that person to guide the product.
    Prioritize building a culture that is free of all the whiners - seriously, hire mature people.

"On the up."

Pros

Business is growing at crazy YOY rates in spite of historical mismanagement. New wave of talent up leveling the game. All upside if we can execute.

Cons

Tech stack needs investment particularly data infrastructure. CEO smart but challenging personality. Seems to be improving with partnership with new COO. Seattle culture less collaborative.

Advice to Management

Give people clarity of strategy and plans. Stick with them. Hire tech leadership.

"Moving in the right direction with lots of opportunity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- high compensation
    - great perks/benefits
    - company has a lot of opportunity to grow
    - learning opportunities
    - new management

Cons

- some old guard management still around that need to move on
    - some entitlement among younger employees who don’t realize how good they have it