Twitch Reviews

Updated Jun 2, 2020

3.5
Twitch CEO Emmett Shear (no image)
Emmett Shear
Pros
  • "We have great perks and benefits(in 20 reviews)

• "And the work/life balance is pretty good, people rarely work nights or weekends on my team at least(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • "Still some growing pains from being a growth focused startup to a more mature company(in 13 reviews)

• "Because of mandates from upper management pushing a product or idea because they think it will drive minutes(in 8 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - IOS Engineer

I have been working at Twitch full-time for less than a year

Pros

Get to work on an awesome product. Great managers and coworkers. Get to work on industry leading tech with challenging problems. Good company culture.

Cons

Amazon does not pay as well as other big 5 tech companies, bureaucracy can slow things down.

Twitch2020-03-03
  2. "d"

I worked at Twitch full-time

Pros

Great place, great work, great people

Cons

nothing that i can think of

Twitch2020-03-02

"Leaves much to be desired"

2.0
    Former Employee - People Team in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Twitch full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are quite a few amazing perks: free lunch, massages, cool swag, etc. The office is fun and you have work life balance.

Cons

The company culture is ridiculous. The company doesn’t value diversity and the People team lacks direction. Promo process is a joke. Your ability to make an impact is severely limited to who you are best buddies with. The inclusivity group doesn’t seem to be backed by Emmett or the company (employees are left to fight the extremely narrow minded, racist and sexist Twitch trolls on their own). The company can’t keep good employees for an extended period of time and it shows. Literally the entire People team has overturned in the past few years. That says something when you can’t keep the people who are tasked with engagement.

Twitch2020-06-02

"The emperor has no clothes."

Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Twitch full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are some genuinely smart and and honest people that work at Twitch that do their best to work around the nonsense created by overwhelming management incompetence coupled with controlling/micromanagement.

Cons

At Twitch leadership at is nothing more than cronyism. Its like watching the self abuse of the Republican Party - stroke the ego of your leader and you will do ok. Disagree with the Grand Emperor and get blacklisted and labeled a "untrustworthy." It is at that point that management begins to make it as uncomfortable as possible for the individual so there's no real choice but to leave (if you don't already want to). Individuals that get promoted are the ones with their lips firmly planted on the managers backside or have a bobble-head. "Values" have been weaponized for daily use to justify bad behavior by managers. Twitch Managers should actually read and attempt to invest in the values that get recited at every meeting like cult prayer. Maybe if managers lead through example the staff might not need to be "programed" through repetition. Positional authority is the only measure of how correct someone's opinion is within Twitch (regardless of the information provided). Leaders fly off the handle with "hunches" or "educated guesses" and then seek opinions that support their view (sound like a President you know?) Confirmation bias over real information is the order of the day at Twitch and if you are not on their wavelength you will not be on the team. Sad really.... but unfortunately is part of the game with "engineer thinking." Meaning, "I am smart about software so I therefore know everything." Grow up.

Twitch2020-03-20

"Terrible culture and Robotic People leader"

Current Employee - People Operations in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitch full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great food, Benefits are excellent, Working hours are decent

Cons

Being an Amazon subsidiary, the Chief People Officer is a robot, bad culture, terrible pay, COO runs the entire company and is a dictator

Twitch2020-04-25
  6. "you'll learn a lot"

Current Employee - Legal Operations Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitch full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

work hard, much to digest, learn a lot, good pay and perks

Cons

stressful, good luck turning your brain off

Twitch2020-02-28

"Good but not great"

4.0
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitch full-time for more than a year

Pros

People who work here generally love the product. Great location in FiDi SF Relevant tech stack Good WLB

Cons

Compensation is tied to Amazon policies that can be uncompetitive for high performers

Twitch2020-01-15

"Worst Culture I've ever seen"

Current Employee - Product

I have been working at Twitch full-time

Pros

Free food/snacks Gaming culture if you are really into games Cool office

Cons

If you are engineers, you are well treated at twitch. If you are in product, be prepared with political coworkers/managers. Majority of decisions here are top down.

Twitch2020-01-26

"One of my favorite places to work!"

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitch full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Great product that overall has a lot of deeply passionate fans. TwitchCon is a blast - I LOVE my manager, and my manager's manager. Really enjoy working with my team over the past couple years. I have many close friends within the company now - I've learned a ton at the company and I get a lot of flexibility to pursue projects that are important to me (and add value to our team/company of course) - I can easily see it being a company I stick with for a long time (10 years)

Cons

- As with most places, work experience can vary by team - Collaboration within the company is a weak area. Everyone's trying to work hard on this but there have certainly been some growing pains - Compensation is a little too heavily indexed on Amazon Stock. Compensation adjustments due to raises or promotions largely come in stock grants which can take a couple years before you see that money - not the most immediately gratifying thing

Twitch2019-12-05

"Join at your own Risk"

Current Employee - People Operations

I have been working at Twitch full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free food If you are lucky, great coworkers

Cons

Favoritism by the upper People Team leadership It's all about who screams the loudest Support is only provided after they've broken you

Twitch2019-12-25