Twitch Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 13, 2018

3.7
Emmett Shear

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "And the work/life balance is pretty good, people rarely work nights or weekends on my team at least" (in 14 reviews)

• "And if you're into it, we get great perks and good Amazon benefits" (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • "We're in a unique position and experiencing some growing pains" (in 12 reviews)

• "Because of mandates from upper management pushing a product or idea because they think it will drive minutes" (in 8 reviews)

1. "Love it"

I have been working at Twitch full-time

Pros

Super chill place to work! Friendly people, smart leadership, diverse. Good office space and perks. Strong brand, rapid growth.

Cons

Some frameworks are missing from the company to make it smoother, BI tools for example.

"They're doing something right."

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitch full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Business is doing great, employees are treated well, leadership is honest and humble. Engineers are given latitude to solve problems however they need to. The best people I've ever worked with are on my team right now. Twitch is doing something right to crush it this hard.

Cons

Some teams pushing hard for broader adoption of Amazon tools and technology, seems to be half the company all-in on Amazon and half very skeptical. So far it hasn't gotten in the way, but I work in an org that wouldn't be affected since Amazon isn't doing what we are.

Advice to Management

Whatever you're doing is working, keep doing it.

"Bleed Purple!"

I have been working at Twitch full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is the most passionate and caring workplace I’ve ever been at. From the CEO down to my manager and the people who sit next to me, everyone shares enthusiasm for Twitch. We hear daily from people whose lives were changed by Twitch giving them a platform to be heard and make a living doing what they care about. There’s little red tape in our way to get things done. Product and engineering teams work well together, customer support and partnerships are highly valued and have a seat at the table. Every team I’ve worked with has actually taken customer feedback seriously and work to improve things. I feel like I can change things that I don’t like. Everyone goes to TwitchCon and this year’s was LIT. It’s not a perfect place of course but I’m proud to work here. Bleed Purple!

Cons

We’ve grown really quickly. I love seeing all the new faces but of course there are some growing pains while we try to figure out how to support this many people working together at once.

"Product-driven company"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Twitch full-time

Pros

I'm giving 5 stars because I do think Twitch is a great place to work.

Most of the Glassdoor reviews are polarized, either Twitch rules or Twitch sucks. I'm not sure how helpful that is so here are two observations~
    1. It's a product-driven company. CEO is a former engineer turned product manager. If you work in engineering, UX, or any function that directly contributes to product, you're highly valued. If you're in partnerships, customer support, marketing, or any other function you'll have a harder time getting things done.
    2. Engineering quality varies massively by team. Some managers are running a tight ship and others just let their engineers do whatever they want. Seattle is corporate, Irvine is the army, and San Francisco is wild west.

If you're thinking of joining, great, if you like the team you'll be working with Twitch won't let you down.

Cons

Enough said, read the section before.

5. "Great place to learn"

I have been working at Twitch full-time

Pros

Smart people, good food, cool office, fun atmosphere, excited about where we are going.

Cons

Slow processes, lack of accountability in some teams.

"Very good tech company"

Current Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitch full-time

Pros

Twitch is my third gig in SF / SV and I have numerous other data points from others in my network. I'd say Twitch is top 10% at _least_ among established bay area tech companies. Pay's strong if not top of class, talent is great on eng and product, office and work/life balance great as well. Engineering brand isn't what it should be given the talent, but there's some reason for that: lack of CTO, open source contributions, tech marketing. Product brand is strong at least among gaming enthusiasts.

Cons

Like any other top tech company, people complain about the smallest things.

Advice to Management

Keep being you, do what makes you different from Amazon.

7. "Killing It, Mostly"

I have been working at Twitch full-time

Pros

Twitch has been on the up since pretty much forever but this past year or so they found their groove.. mature new leadership (esp Sara) providing the stability and vision that we need. Some complain Twitch has changed but I still see the same crowds down in the game room playing smash every week so I guess some things haven't changed. Work is relatively chill, interesting, and the company's doing well while resisting Amazon influence. Good show.

Cons

Twitch is confused with some policies regarding how we treat small streamers and non-gaming streamers. What we say and what we do sometimes aren't consistent and it's out of most of our control to affect that.

"Growing fast, Good team!"

I have been working at Twitch full-time

Pros

If you already like Twitch, working here is amazing.. but maybe not what you expect. Twitch is a business just like any other, and it's part of Amazon so when it's work time, it's work hard time. We have smart people here from all kinds of functions, universities, backgrounds. Some of them aren't that familiar with gaming or even Twitch but we are a team.. contrary to some popular beliefs our diversity makes us strong. And yes there are games in the office and plenty of people to play them with!

Cons

We've grown fast and there are parts of the company lagging behind. They'll catch up but we gotta be patient.

"Glassdoor Reviews don't do this place justice."

I have been working at Twitch full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you want to ship software that genuinely changes peoples' lives, Twitch is a great choice. It may sound silly but every week we hear from content creators who have managed to leave behind a job that made them unhappy in order to stream full time for their community. And if you're into it, we get great perks and good Amazon benefits. Comp is competitive, if maybe not out-of-this-world.

For some reason, some of our colleagues haven't been kind to Twitch on Glassdoor in the past. I'll just say that I'm happy, and so are all of the people that I work with here. After working for a big pressure-cooker tech company in a past life, I can say Twitch supports an amazingly positive and collaborative environment while still managing to get things done.

Cons

Twitch is trying to do too much, and as a result some teams seem confused as to how their initiatives fit in.

Advice to Management

I'm really surprised at some of the negative reviews from the past year or so. I'm betting a few bad apples are trying to spoil the bunch. Keep on making Twitch a positive place to do something amazing!

10. "Challenging, sustainable"

I have been working at Twitch full-time

Pros

- Challenging and fast-paced environment
    - Work-life balance, flexibility
    - Great food
    - Tight-knit company and fans

Cons

- Reorgs seem to be arbitrary