Twitch Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.8
Emmett Shear

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The perks are great, you can't really ask for more (in 6 reviews)

• Hard working environment, but there is work/life balance, if you want to work out middle of day, fine, just get your job done (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • The company is going through some growing pains, but overall they have been relatively smooth (in 7 reviews)

• Upper management has lost control of the company; people say and do whatever they want (in 4 reviews)

"Great company to work for"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Twitch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people you work with

Cons

The hours were long but they do take care f you

Advice to Management

Keep hiring the people you do

May 8, 2017

Thanks for the review! - Arthur Yamamoto/ Director of Recruiting

"Company going sour"

I have been working at Twitch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free food and drinks
    Gaming room
    Good work equipment

Cons

Culture has changed with the growth of the company. Twitch was once a very positive placed, which is turning sour. Very cliquey culture and far too many people are now very negative default to say no to everything.
    Career growth opportunities are a joke.
    Companies small and large are eating Twitch's lunch. Discord, Youtube, Facebook.
    Surprisingly large amount of people work at Twitch who do not use Twitch. RIP customer focus.

Advice to Management

Growth is needed but hire the right people. Be wary of the large groups just large for the sake of being large.

"Great perks, fun place to work at, but a bit haphazard"

Current Employee - Data Scientist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Data Scientist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitch full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
    Cool product.
    Everyone has a say on many product decisions.
    Part of Amazon (it's been mostly a good thing so far).
    Great team spirit among engineers, designers, and PM. (But other roles like data scientists, user researchers, or marketing, seem a bit excluded from the party.)

Cons

Few processes in place. It's often a mess, sometimes cramming and burnout.
    Some products have too many engineers per PM (40), others too few (0).
    Old employees are pretty much given a free card to do what they want, sometimes stepping on others' toes.

Advice to Management

- Focus more on quality and less on releasing new half-baked features super fast.
    - Company and product vision are poorly communicated.

Apr 10, 2017

Thanks for the feedback. If you're open to discussing further, would love to hear your thoughts in a more detailed way. - Arthur Yamamoto / Director of Recruiting

"Stayed Much Too Long"

I worked at Twitch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive pay and good snacks.

Cons

The whole company is run like a social club - cliques abound. The values are a joke and there is no company support with regard to developing professionally or increasing diversity. Typical gaming bro culture. HR often doesn't respond to employee emails. Entire company is siloed and communication is poor despite the weekly all hands.

Advice to Management

When you hire people with experience to fill in knowledge gaps perhaps you should let them do their jobs. Develop better cross-team communication.

Apr 17, 2017

Thanks for the feedback. I'll be sure to share this with our exec team. The HR team has grown quite a bit in the last 6-8 months, so I think things are changing quite a bit. If you're open to... More

"Great people and perks, but keep people motivated."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone is definitely on the same page in terms of expectations, and work-life balance. Amazing and fun people to work with, and some of the best perks in the industry.

Cons

As a part of Amazon, starting to do things that seem counter to what Twitch is about. A lot of moving pieces and projects with seemingly little cohesion. Complacency has definitely set in on some levels.

Advice to Management

Keep people motivated and give them a chance to grow! Limited room for advancement with the current (Amazon) structure, and little care for professional growth. Would be great to be engaged in what I do, and working toward something.

Apr 5, 2017

Thanks for the feedback. Would love to chat further with you if you're game. Not sure what "Amazon Structure" would prevent advancement, would love to hear your thoughts. - Arthur Yamamoto... More

"Pre vs Post Aquisition"

Current Employee - Partnerships in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Partnerships in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work with like minded individuals that will push you to be a better worker. I consider everyone on my team to be my extended family. This also seems to be the mentality of most employees within the partnerships department.

Access to a great benefits including a monthly gym membership, a monthly massage (sometimes more than once a month), and as many drinks/snacks you can have.

Cons

Compensation is exceptionally terrible for the Partnerships team. You would think that you would be more valued when taking care of broadcasters that keep the site up and running, but it doesn't look like this happens consistently.

The work/life balance is sometimes non-existent. It's as if your job doesn't have an off switch at times, which would sting a little less if the compensation matched.

Advice to Management

Build employees up and guide them into a career path you think they would excel in. Present them with opportunities to show their value, and pay them competitively.

I've seen so many individuals within different verticals just get stuck without much growth and eventually leave the company I love, and it sucks to see that.

Feb 21, 2017

Thanks for the feedback. I am definitely sharing with the exec team and will discuss further with them. If you want to reach out to me directly, please feel free to do so. - Arthur Yamamoto... More

"Looking back at almost 2 years at Twitch"

I have been working at Twitch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive pay if you join now. Typical benefits of startups

Cons

A year ago, I left a negative review hoping that Twitch would move in a positive direction.

While I agree with many opinions here that an Amazon takeover is imminent, I would argue that an Amazon takeover is the only way Twitch will survive into the coming years.

Twitch execs have proved that they are unable or unwilling to steer the company in the right direction. They lack the means or ability or authority to unify Twitch under one vision and direction. The countless failed features, products, and expansions are indicative of the total dysfunction, particularly in engineering, of Twitch. We still operate in a shout loudest get attention environment, we still cannot coordinate, we still cannot come to an agreement on any sort of standard or baseline. We cannot even properly hold a new hire Eng edu class because nobody can agree on what to teach or how to properly do things.

As a side note, it's absolutely unacceptable that a director chooses to walk around the office with no shoes or socks. Or run up and down the hall like a giggling child.

On compensation, it's insane the salary disparity here. Basically anyone hired roughly the year since the acquisition is woefully underpaid. It's an uphill battle to try to promote or even increase salary. Yet, new and unproven employees are given ludicrous salaries and hiring managers are basically told, "it's just a number".

I welcome Amazon. While it'd be great to keep Twitch culture alive, I'd rather be unhappy but functional than unhappy AND dysfunctional. More to the point, Twitch culture is just a formality now - a way to trick star struck people to join the company. It's already gone, might as well move on and at least try make Twitch functional.

Advice to Management

We are in desperate need of a CTO. We need a CEO that understands hwo to run a company not a startup CEO.

Mar 6, 2017

Appreciate the feedback. I sincerely encourage you to talk further with our VP of HR or myself. I will absolutely make sure your feedback is relayed to the exec team. I hope to chat with you... More

"Becoming more and more like Amazon"

Former Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Twitch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Twitch is a great platform that to connects to a great community. You definitely feel good and excited about the product you are working on, if you are into gaming it's a no brainer.
    Free lunch, snacks and expense accounts are good bonuses.
    There's some great people here (along with not so great people).

Cons

Becoming more and more like Amazon to please Amazon overlords. Freedoms are already being restricted. Several loops and back and forth for the simplest of expense reporting. In a few years I see the free snacks and lunch being greatly restricted and reduced in quality (they have already started it by reducing snack vendors).

I would only recommend to engineers. They are the ones more in the Twitch protected bubble and being in SF will likely to be the last mans standing for privileges. If you work corporate you are likely not going to enjoy it as much unless working at Amazon type environment appeals to you. If you are looking for a small business mentality look elsewhere. They also do not have landlines for individual employees so be prepared to put your personal cell phone on all your emails.

Managers are for the most part incompetent so many boosted titles because they were there for the takeover. I have never seen so many directors with no one to manage in my life. Granted it's a problem with lots of small businesses that boom but their ability to manage people is seriously lacking for the ones that do have them. Also because so many were there pre-take over there is definitely a clique and they will step over you, lie, etc in order to secure their positions and maintain status quo of their clique and ranks. I have had high up managers tell me to keep secrets from other managers.

I was also able to see behind the veil on how they treat popular streamers and they treat them like spoiled children who get their way regardless of what they do. These streamers are considered independent contractors so it's actually just an EEOC case waiting to happen there. I would not want to be in a position to deal with them or be apart of any fallout that comes from that so I would beware if you are looking for a partnerships role as you will take the bullet for your streamer.

Whoever wrote the review that working at Twitch is like Twitch chat is spot on. If you do decide to work here keep an eye out, be savvy and come to work everyday prepared to play the corporate game. Beware of those that smile in your face as they will be the ones to stab you in the back. Diversity is seriously lacking as well. CEO is a very smart guy to be looked up to but he definitely sold the company's soul to Amazon.

Advice to Management

Management training on how to effectively manage employees is vital. Also while it's good to consider all options and be mindful while you are in a small to big business transition model, don't be afraid to make decisions now to solve problems. Too many important issues sitting still for 6+ months without anyone taking action to solve them. I believe this is due to not wanting to be the one to take the risk and have it fail.

Jan 3, 2017

Thanks for the feedback and I will certainly make sure the Exec team gets this feedback. Things are constantly evolving when a company grows at the rate Twitch has. Hopefully we'll continue to... More

"Streamer"

Former Employee - Streamer/Customer Service Representative in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Streamer/Customer Service Representative in Las Vegas, NV

Pros

great outlet to promote yourself

Cons

not really any cons there

"5/7 place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Truly a wonderful place to work. Every day has been nonstop fun and learning. The diversity of people, their backgrounds, and even their favorite games really plays a huge factor in fostering this culture that you can't find anywhere else. This was my fourth internship and I by far the best experience. Everyone you meet is impressive in both their background and the knowledge they provide. Despite this, everyone is humble and willing to pass on their knowledge. You'll never find a single day where you're bored!

Emmett is very sharp and honest about the direction of the company–he'll tell it like it is. The company is in good hands!

Cons

Twitch doesn't face any challenges different from the common ones that all other transitioning companies are facing. If anything, Twitch handles them all exceptionally well.

The Hildons on the 9 floor lobby are gone :(

Advice to Management

Please put the Hildons back!

Aug 29, 2016

Thanks for the review and glad you had a great internship experience! Hope you come back to join us full-time! - Arthur Yamamoto / Director of Recruiting