Twitch Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.8
Emmett Shear

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great perks, nothing to complain about (in 15 reviews)

• Great perks: massage, free food, gym subsidy, etc (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • We're in a unique position and experiencing some growing pains (in 9 reviews)

• The work/life balance is sometimes non-existent (in 5 reviews)

"Good learning experience at a top notch tech company"

I have been working at Twitch full-time

Pros

Good pay. Great perks: massage, free food, gym subsidy, etc. Best part: Amazon RSUs. The work is very challenging. Twitch is in the intersection of entertainment, media, and technology, which makes every day very interesting!

Cons

Rapid growth = problems. There is a lack of direction among some groups, as they don't have clear goals. Workload can be challenging as this is a tech company on the cutting edge. Relationship with Amazon is also unclear in some cases.

Advice to Management

Clearer goals for all groups.

Feb 12, 2018 – VP

Thanks for the feedback. We are have established goals for each of our business units. Your area executive can articulate these for your specific business unit. Also, if you would like clarity on... More

"Not perfect, but overall great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've worked at 4-5 large tech companies in the Bay Area, and when I started at Twitch it totally blew me away. The perks were better than most companies I've been at (Snacks, Swag, Gear, Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner), and Twitch had a diverse mix of talent- super smart senior engineers, as well as new interns and college grads. The scale of the stack we run is insane, at a scale that only a handful of companies operate at, including Google and Facebook. I can't speak for other parts of the organization, but my manager is very laid back and gives us a lot of freedom to achieve our goals.

Cons

Since I started, things have shifted and many older employees are on their way out as they vest stock. Some of the perks, like swag, have diminished quite a bit, and some frustrating IT processes have made life difficult, either in the name of security or for management reasons. The tech debt has started to catch up with us, and we spend a lot of resources troubleshooting incidents and replacing old systems.

However- despite all this, I have a very positive outlook on Twitch. We are growing at a rapid pace, and Twitch can deliver insane amounts of video around the world and does this very well. Twitch also has an amazing community and culture that is 100% grassroots, and not artificial and forced like it is at places like Facebook. Also the compensation is good, and you get the benefits of working for Amazon (Stock, etc) without a lot of the downsides that they have. It's the best of both worlds.

Feb 12, 2018 – VP

"Thanks for your review! Appreciate your thoughts feedback. We are actively working to better our IT processes and systems. I will make sure I share your feedback with our executive team. - Sally... More

"Twitch is a great place, which went through a rough patch"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitch full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Our biggest problem (at least on our team) is that we have a vision to build systems and tech much larger than today's, and the problem set is hard. It's rare to get to work on technical problems like this as a day job.

- Amazon honestly is very lenient on us. We get to choose our tech stacks, tools, methodologies, etc. Their approach is not a top down one where you are told which CI system or tool to use. There are teams building support systems, and as an engineer you literally own your destiny and pick the best tools for the job.

- The amount of freedom we have in terms of proposing projects that actually happen is really good. We have practically no restrictions on equipment and tech resource availability. The amount of freedom to pick and use open source or AWS resources is really, really good. As some one who worked in the past at places penny pinching, or where asking for compute resources were months long requests to finance, this availability makes me super happy.

- The company does listen to feedback and take it seriously. Management actually cares about people and give priority to this. There has been a lot of movement lately to actually address pain points brought up.

Cons

- Office coffee leaves much to be desired.

- Late 2016/2017 were rough. We suddenly got a TON of external competition from heavy hitters (youtube, facebook). The company went gung-ho on features and catch up, which was hard but necessary. We are in a much better spot today, but it was hard on people.

- Twitch had a mix of legacy systems from the justin.tv days, along the newer ones. Literally the whole company spent last year a large amount of time to work on the very unsexy problem of cleaning debt. This was also hard on everyone, but we got rid for the most part of massive chunks of tech debt.

- Some parts of twitch do suffer of "not-invented-here" syndrome. We could leverage more external and amazon's tools, which will free up time to work on other larger technical challenges.

Feb 12, 2018 – VP

Thank you for your feedback. We are leveraging Amazon (tools/tech) where it's best suited for Twitch and continue to review this on an ongoing basis. Also, we will ensure the Workplace team at... More

"Twitch could be great if it got its act together"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitch full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Twitch is a great product. Twitch has a massive customer base so you'll get to work on a product that is used by millions daily around the world.
    - Fun people. Generally speaking, the people that work at Twitch are awesome folks.
    - The company isn't too huge so you have opportunities to make an impact.
    - Lunch and dinner provided every day, breakfast three times a week. Food and drink selection is great and the happy hour after All Hands every week is a nice touch.
    - Compensation is pretty good and being an Amazon subsidiary, you'll get Amazon stock.

Cons

- Company organization is a disaster. There is so much siloing without a strong overarching vision so everything feels fragmented. I've seen management at All Hands admit not knowing what some of these silos are doing.
    - Bad quality. The website goes down for hours at a time almost once a month. Everyone talks about improving quality but I don't see any meaningful steps being taken to remediate the issues. There are even groups of people in the company that see "quality first" as anti-Twitch culture which is ridiculous.
    - A lack of CTO and strong technical leadership has left Twitch pretty far back when it comes to engineering. Of all the companies I've worked for, Twitch is easily the company that has the most work to do to power up its engineering chops.
    - Career advancement appears to be pretty daunting and challenging. It's not enough to meet all the requirements; you'll need some luck and a manager willing to put in some effort on your behalf.

Advice to Management

1. Hire a CTO.
    2. Make plans and stick to them. Stop changing them halfway through. No one appreciates "gut decisions" halfway through implementation.

"White Boy's Club"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitch full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

AMZN stock (if you get enough and are patient to wait it out).

Cons

- White boy's club all the way - the only way to move up is to be a part of it. If you don't fit the profile, don't waste your time here.
    - Extremely immature leadership with shifty visions and priorities
    - Leadership does not value employees or their careers
    - Backstabbing is the norm, across almost all teams (some orgs are worse then others) - you will be used to the max, and then dropped as convenient
    - Benefits? You can get the same or better at any company in the Bay Area.

Amazon really needs to get in there and straighten things up. CEO is extremely immature, positions equally bad leadership team around him - part of them are checked out and don't give a crap, others are just completely clueless and useless.

Advice to Management

Advice? Why bother? Management is the source of all the problems.

"Twitch Rocks"

I have been working at Twitch full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Twitch is by for one of the best places I have worked!

Cons

Every place has its cons, but the ones at Twitch are less than the ones I've known elsewhere.

"Very disorganized technology stack for a site of its size."

I worked at Twitch full-time

Pros

Compensation was adequate, lots of customers.

Cons

As a software engineer I was simply appalled at how amateurish their tech stack and build environments were. I wasted countless hours hunting down tests that failed for no reasons in poor or non-existing staging environments, in code that was a mess, with only a few over-taxed senior engineers who had any clue how any of the mess worked. I've worked in lots of startups and tech debt is a normal part of the game but there comes a point (like, for example, when you sell to Amazon for a billion dollars) where you have to really invest massively to dig yourself out of the debt and build an actual, professional, system. They haven't done this; doesn't seem like they are even trying.

But, above all else, I found myself just hating the product and the juvenile culture associated with it.

Advice to Management

Get your tech stack under control.

Feb 19, 2018 – VP

Thank you for your feedback! We agree we have room for improvement. I have shared your feedback with our new technology leader and our executive team.

"Twitch Was Started By Passion. Now It's Overrun With Politics and Communication Magic Tricks"

I worked at Twitch full-time

Pros

Some of the most intelligent individuals in the business got their start here doing what they love.

Cons

CLARITY. The operation is mostly governed by people that refuse to reflect upon failures to and iterate upon those action. Some upper management aren't held accountable for keeping information clear to those they manage, and things are thrown to this last minute caution to the wind on release. Highest level management is convinced people don't succeed because they don't put in the effort. Many employees don't believe in the product nor care to be educated.

Advice to Management

You're losing really passionate and smart people left and right, and this isn't about rest and vest-- really passionate/believing individuals forge ahead. Talk about your real issues, people would faster talk to a continually improving company that admits weakness than one that hopes to be a god of right answers.

"Not What You Expect"

I worked at Twitch full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are some very hard working people here. There are also some very good people here.
    Perks.

Cons

Culture is horrible and really unprofessional. I feel for the HR department here. There's a constant battle in the company of Old Twitch vs New Twitch (+Amazon), but coming from someone who's seen successful, functioning companies - Twitch needed a change. They can't retain new hires and employees are constantly resigning. Many of the events that happened at this company would not fly at any respectable Tech companies. Their in-work chat is extremely hostile and exclusive. It was a real let down, because Twitch spews this constant mantra of community - but don't let that fool you. There's absolutely no inclusivity for the most part, and any attempts made I've seen constantly slandered as a joke by the dominant bro-culture.

Most people who enjoy working here were insiders from the start, or already part of the Twitch Community in some form.

"Politics, politics, politics"

I have been working at Twitch full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some good and dedicated people, users who deeply care about Twitch

Cons

Politics everywhere and the only thing that matters. The quality of your work, dedication or effort will not get you anywhere, but being on the right side will.

There is a complete disregard for employee careers. HR sort of tries through training and some structure, but that makes no difference if you are not well aligned politically.

Stay away at all cost - you’ve been warned!

Advice to Management

Here is a radical idea: how about you actually start treating people as more than a headcount?

Feb 19, 2018 – VP

Thank you for your feedback and we appreciate you taking time to provide us with your thoughts. I would be interested to learn more from your perspective on your work environment. Please feel free... More