Twitch Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.9
Emmett Shear

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great compensation and great perks (unlimited PTO is important to me) (in 18 reviews)

• Great perks: massage, free food, gym subsidy, etc (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • We're in a unique position and experiencing some growing pains (in 10 reviews)

• Because of mandates from upper management pushing a product or idea because they think it will drive minutes (in 8 reviews)

1. "Twitch has so much potential"

Current Employee - Senior Engineering Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineering Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Twitch is an incredible company. The culture here is awesome. Twitch has a culture of delegation and collaboration. At the IC level, there's little politics and you're given full ownership of your work. If you can do it, or convince someone else to do it, you're given the green light. There's no artificial limit. The hierarchy is flat. Engineers have a lot of power to drive things, make decisions and influence products.

It has all the other perks you could imagine: free catered food, physiotherapists, flexible hours, work from home, unlimited PTOs, higher than average compensation.

The brand is loved by its users. The product is fun to work on, and the challenges are always there.

The CEO loves the company and is very transparent, it doesn't feel corporate at all here.

Cons

At the management level, there's more politics. The right choices are not always taken. There are a few senior employees that are obviously demotivated that are just waiting for their restricted stock units to vest; they bring the morale of a team down and should be gotten rid of.

Because the company has grown so much in little time, there are a few systems that have no owners, there are a few processes that are unclear.

The CEO has the founder syndrome, so there can be attempts at micro-managing certain team decisions. I don't think he realizes he has this power, so just something to be aware of.

Advice to Management

Twitch is a growing teenager, this company is barely 10 years old and it has grown so much in the last years. The advice to management is to make sure this growth is properly distributed. Get rid of the bad apples, rewards the right contributors.

"On the right track."

Current Employee - Level 7 in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Level 7 in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Twitch was in a transition from startup to real business. It now has great perks. Above market pay. Great people. Cutting edge work.

Cons

Some people complain about things like politics. Those are generally inexperienced people who don't understand the business world. Those who complain about the pay need to understand what the market is like. It pays better than the vast majority of companies in the Bay Area.

Advice to Management

Need to continue the transition that our COO has started.

"Twitch is awesome other than the whiny co-workers"

I have been working at Twitch full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

We move really quickly here. Our product teams are constantly shipping and are not blocked by management or other product orgs.
    We are customer-obsessed. Everything we do is to improve our product for the benefit of our customers.
    We have great perks and benefits.
    Great location in the center of SF.
    We get all the benefits of Amazon without the full drag of the Amazon culture (though this is changing).
    Our leadership is improving - Sara is a great step in the right direction.

Cons

So many whiny, entitled brats work here. It takes a lot of patience to interact with them.
    We have a lot of people that were here before the acquisition and they are completely checked out.

Advice to Management

Get more people like Sara.
    Get a CPO and empower that person to guide the product.
    Prioritize building a culture that is free of all the whiners - seriously, hire mature people.

"On the up."

Pros

Business is growing at crazy YOY rates in spite of historical mismanagement. New wave of talent up leveling the game. All upside if we can execute.

Cons

Tech stack needs investment particularly data infrastructure. CEO smart but challenging personality. Seems to be improving with partnership with new COO. Seattle culture less collaborative.

Advice to Management

Give people clarity of strategy and plans. Stick with them. Hire tech leadership.

"Moving in the right direction with lots of opportunity"

I have been working at Twitch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- high compensation
    - great perks/benefits
    - company has a lot of opportunity to grow
    - learning opportunities
    - new management

Cons

- some old guard management still around that need to move on
    - some entitlement among younger employees who don’t realize how good they have it

"Great company in transition"

I have been working at Twitch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart, clever, hardworking coworkers. New Leadership transitioning Twitch to a more mature company focused of on long term goals. Amazon RSUs are amazing.

Cons

There is a small contingent of in titled employees who complain about everything.

Advice to Management

Don't let the squeakiest wheels get all the grease. Stay focused on objectives. Move low and moderate performers who complain about everything out of the org. Continue to bring in smart people who want to be there.

"Maybe it was a bad place to work at one point, but I like working here now"

I have been working at Twitch full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

* Great benefits and perks.
    * Fun product with a really excited community and fanbase.
    * Lots of scope and latitude.
    * Clear vision for where Twitch is headed.

Cons

* Can be some weird politics between Amazon and Twitch.

Advice to Management

* Keep on the path and lock in the strategy for longer.

"Great Company, Exciting Space"

I have been working at Twitch full-time

Pros

Exciting space, fast-growing company, lots of opportunities, great culture, great people, great benefits, great company vision, fun atmosphere, overall very positive

Cons

There are growing pains with every high-growth company, but the recent re-org and company vision seems to address these issues

"Good learning experience at a top notch tech company"

I have been working at Twitch full-time

Pros

Good pay. Great perks: massage, free food, gym subsidy, etc. Best part: Amazon RSUs. The work is very challenging. Twitch is in the intersection of entertainment, media, and technology, which makes every day very interesting!

Cons

Rapid growth = problems. There is a lack of direction among some groups, as they don't have clear goals. Workload can be challenging as this is a tech company on the cutting edge. Relationship with Amazon is also unclear in some cases.

Advice to Management

Clearer goals for all groups.

Twitch Response

Feb 12, 2018 – VP

Thanks for the feedback. We are have established goals for each of our business units. Your area executive can articulate these for your specific business unit. Also, if you would like clarity on... More

"Twitch is a great place, which went through a rough patch"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitch full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Our biggest problem (at least on our team) is that we have a vision to build systems and tech much larger than today's, and the problem set is hard. It's rare to get to work on technical problems like this as a day job.

- Amazon honestly is very lenient on us. We get to choose our tech stacks, tools, methodologies, etc. Their approach is not a top down one where you are told which CI system or tool to use. There are teams building support systems, and as an engineer you literally own your destiny and pick the best tools for the job.

- The amount of freedom we have in terms of proposing projects that actually happen is really good. We have practically no restrictions on equipment and tech resource availability. The amount of freedom to pick and use open source or AWS resources is really, really good. As some one who worked in the past at places penny pinching, or where asking for compute resources were months long requests to finance, this availability makes me super happy.

- The company does listen to feedback and take it seriously. Management actually cares about people and give priority to this. There has been a lot of movement lately to actually address pain points brought up.

Cons

- Office coffee leaves much to be desired.

- Late 2016/2017 were rough. We suddenly got a TON of external competition from heavy hitters (youtube, facebook). The company went gung-ho on features and catch up, which was hard but necessary. We are in a much better spot today, but it was hard on people.

- Twitch had a mix of legacy systems from the justin.tv days, along the newer ones. Literally the whole company spent last year a large amount of time to work on the very unsexy problem of cleaning debt. This was also hard on everyone, but we got rid for the most part of massive chunks of tech debt.

- Some parts of twitch do suffer of "not-invented-here" syndrome. We could leverage more external and amazon's tools, which will free up time to work on other larger technical challenges.

Twitch Response

Feb 12, 2018 – VP

Thank you for your feedback. We are leveraging Amazon (tools/tech) where it's best suited for Twitch and continue to review this on an ongoing basis. Also, we will ensure the Workplace team at... More