Twitch Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.8
Emmett Shear

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great perks, nothing to complain about (in 14 reviews)

• The company seems to endorse work life balance at first glance (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • We're in a unique position and experiencing some growing pains (in 9 reviews)

• The work/life balance is sometimes non-existent (in 5 reviews)

"Very fulfilling."

Former Employee - Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Twitch part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Had a lot of fun it was never boring. I had a blast.

Cons

Hours are not that great, but it's not that bad.

Advice to Management

Pay could be higher

Jul 11, 2014 – Senior Recruiting Coordinator

Thank you for your review!

"Rewarding, get to see the fruits of your labor."

I have been working at Twitch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture, especially if you're into gaming. The perks are nice, you get time off whenever you need to and you don't have to worry about meals. The work is really challenging at times and the payoff is great when you manage to finish a big project. Smart people abound.

Cons

Some transitional hiccups as we become a bigger company.

Advice to Management

Don't let the culture slip through our fingers so easily, it's our biggest asset. Just because we're becoming a big company doesn't mean we need to do All The Things big companies do.

Jul 16, 2014 – Senior Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback!

"Awesome place to work."

Pros

Pros:

-The perks are great, you can't really ask for more. Between snacks, juice delivery, massages, subsidized transit and gym memberships, and many more - it's amazing.
    -Unlimited PTO!
    -Your work is recognized often, and regular feedback is the norm.
    -Everyone is really laid back and easy to talk to, and the open office atmosphere is nice.

Cons

There aren't many cons about working with Twitch, but I'd say the laid-back atmosphere sometimes leads to a certain level of disorganization. However, nothing that won't work itself out.

Advice to Management

We're growing at an extremely fast pace, so I would say the best advice I would give is to make sure that we maintain our culture and level of personal attention to each employee.

"Amazing place to work!"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitch full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's really hard to list the best thing about working at Twitch. The leadership is solid, the ability to work on unique projects, and the culture is phenomenal. The twice a week breakfasts and daily lunch/dinner is a much added convenience vs going out getting lunch.

Cons

Sometimes things are moving at such a rapid pace communication can get messed up.

Advice to Management

Honestly nothing at the moment. Keep up the great work!

"Amazing"

Pros

good pay, great benefits, always changing, great place

Cons

none yet ;) I'll see that it stays that way

Advice to Management

better communication, sometimes info gets lost with all the "hustle & bustle"

"Exciting, fast paced and tons of room to grow."

I have been working at Twitch full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Everyone truly believes in what we are creating, from the bottom to the top.
    Everyone is a gamer.
    Tons of room to grow in both salary and responsibility.
    Very little political issues. Folks are rewarded for the efforts and internal promotions are always considered first.
    The work is fast paced, ever changing and extremely exciting. Every day is different and awesome.
    Open office environments create a sense of working on one giant team rather than your own specific projects.

The perks are great, too.

Cons

Lack of space. We're growing so rapidly that we're starting to feel a bit crammed.

Advice to Management

Keep up the fantastic work. Maintaining the culture through an acquisition is extremely difficult, and everyone did a fantastic job keeping everyone calm.

"Incredible place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

More than the obvious perks (we essentially work in a clubhouse filled with video games, great food, and even better booze), Twitch is an incredibly well run company with an amazing culture and a great, diverse, talented team.

Management consistently impresses, and even with massive scale and success has stuck to straight-forward, data-driven decision making, transparency with the team (as much as reasonably possible), and merit based hiring and promotion. They are one of the very few companies I'm aware of that consistently prioritizes internal promotion over outside recruiting for management positions, and the results speak for themselves.

The culture is product focused, fun, and supportive. Everyone expects a lot from each other, but management leads by example and takes a very progressive tack in motivating the team to be successful.

Post-acquisition, Twitch still operates very independently, and we see nothing but positive, beneficial synergies in how we interface with Amazon. User and revenue growth has accelerated to a level that is almost unbelievable.

Cannot recommend working at Twitch highly enough, and am very thankful to be a part of the team.

Cons

I can't think of any worth mentioning.

Advice to Management

Keep it up.

"Smart people, interesting problems, great game culture"

Current Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place for exceptional engineers who want to work on some bleeding edge problems, with other very talented people, and likes the freedom to play games at work.

Cons

Very much still a startup -- which depending on your point of view, could be a Pro.

Jul 22, 2015 – Technical Recruiter

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitch (More than a year)

Pros

Fantastic product, lots of upside with future growth. Company culture is great, everyone is genuine, friendly, and nice. Catered lunch and dinner every day, and breakfast a few days a week. Gorgeous offices, best equipment. Hard working environment, but there is work/life balance, if you want to work out middle of day, fine, just get your job done. Great for people who want to actually contribute to the company and feel they're participating in something real. Not great if you're a piker and want to clock-in/clock-out without being noticed. Really fun and invigorating place to work.

Cons

Some teams internally seem to operate in silos. But people complain about this and all you have to do is go meet with other teams. Take action to fix things you think are broken, don't sit back and complain.

Advice to Management

Think of ways to bring teams together internally so we get to know each other better and understand what we all do. Monthly "lunch and learn" where two groups present what they do and invite others to listen and learn.

"A great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitch full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Twitch is a great place to work. It is extremely laid back, and has a great culture. Most of my coworkers love games so it is usually possible to quickly get a pick up game together.

A lot of leeway is given to employees to find the best technical route to solve a problem.

One of the best things about Twitch is how much Emmett cares about the company and the people here. I've seen him make multiple sacrifices both personal and monetary for the benefit of the company and for the employees.

Cons

While intrateam politics are almost non-existent there can be some inter-team politics.

In addition Twitch is a bit immature in the management structure. We managed to grow quickly without building a large management structure, which means we are now trying to figure one out and implement it.

Advice to Management

Increase the quality of the food, it has been dropping rapidly to the point where many people are starting to eat out.

In addition finishing the management structure is critical, we are too big for our current structure.

Jul 22, 2015 – Technical Recruiter

Thanks for your review! Employee feedback is important in our mission to continue to make Twitch an awesome place to work. We have our eye on the food situation as well and are hoping to implement... More