Twitch Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.4
Emmett Shear

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The perks are great, you can't really ask for more (in 6 reviews)

• Hard working environment, but there is work/life balance, if you want to work out middle of day, fine, just get your job done (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • The company is going through some growing pains, but overall they have been relatively smooth (in 7 reviews)

• Upper management has lost control of the company; people say and do whatever they want (in 4 reviews)

1. "SDE II"

I worked at Twitch full-time

Pros

Growing quickly, lots to build

Cons

Expanding really fast, natural growing pains

Advice to Management

Keep at it

"Unsustainable management"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager

I have been working at Twitch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Twitch has a great user community.
    Free lunch.
    Good benefits.

Cons

Horrible management.
    Doesn't value staff.
    No work/life balance. At all.
    No private spaces, just a big open and loud area where everyone works on top of each other.
    Disorganized.
    No support for new employees.
    No 360 reviews.
    Too hierarchical. Not agile enough.

Advice to Management

Give constructive feedback and support, especially to new employees.
    Ask questions, don't just talk.
    See the good in people and encourage that.
    Bring the best out in people.
    Do not force 24/7 availability without the option of having time off.

"Twitch used to be a great place to work, don't expect that for much longer"

I worked at Twitch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great food perks, though these have slowly been dwindling for each passing week
    - Smart people, there are a handful of bright individuals that help you learn
    - Strong brand, great loving community
    - Flexible work schedule

Cons

- Misguided CEO that tries to take on too many rolls (We have no CTO, CPO, or arguably CEO)
    - Constant reorgs without clear alignment and direction
    - Inadequate management, while there are a handful of good managers at Twitch, an overwhelming majority are poor (first time managers, usbpar engineers)
    - Toxic culture, there are adversarial relationships rampant at the company and the product reflects this division
    - Compensation and vesting schedule is below market
    - Morale has been slowly taking a dip

Advice to Management

Replace ineffective leaders with the right people. Align priorities across all organizations and teams.

"Not great."

I worked at Twitch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good perks. Fun swag. Nice offices. Decent compensation. Excellent name recognition when you leave Twitch. There's some really great art hanging around the office. Conference rooms have fun names. Video games.

Cons

Management is the biggest problem, so most of what I have to say has already been said by other reviewers.

Twitch is not a meritocracy. Leadership/management are largely in place based on personal relationships with higher-ups. So, don't expect a lot of growth unless you're in good with someone at the top. Managers act untouchable and do or say whatever. If you object or don't go along with it, prepare to be in the doghouse forever.

Like someone else said, there's an emphasis on partying together, and if you're not down for that, you'll be labeled as "not a team player," no matter how much you deliver in terms of work. There are some weird tensions between teams and even between managers competing for power or influence. Lots of fragile egos and pettiness.

It's too bad. Twitch is a great platform. :(

Advice to Management

Take a hard look at your managers. Are they talented and skilled at their jobs or are they just good friends of yours from way back? Are they working hard to train and grow their reports or are they more focused on making themselves look good? Do they want what's best for the company or what's best for themselves?

"Great company"

Pros

Free food great people nice place

Cons

Company long hours but they cool

"Company going sour"

I have been working at Twitch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free food and drinks
    Gaming room
    Good work equipment

Cons

Culture has changed with the growth of the company. Twitch was once a very positive placed, which is turning sour. Very cliquey culture and far too many people are now very negative default to say no to everything.
    Career growth opportunities are a joke.
    Companies small and large are eating Twitch's lunch. Discord, Youtube, Facebook.
    Surprisingly large amount of people work at Twitch who do not use Twitch. RIP customer focus.

Advice to Management

Growth is needed but hire the right people. Be wary of the large groups just large for the sake of being large.

"Great company to work for"

I worked at Twitch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people you work with

Cons

The hours were long but they do take care f you

Advice to Management

Keep hiring the people you do

May 8, 2017

Thanks for the review! - Arthur Yamamoto/ Director of Recruiting

"Stayed Much Too Long"

I worked at Twitch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive pay and good snacks.

Cons

The whole company is run like a social club - cliques abound. The values are a joke and there is no company support with regard to developing professionally or increasing diversity. Typical gaming bro culture. HR often doesn't respond to employee emails. Entire company is siloed and communication is poor despite the weekly all hands.

Advice to Management

When you hire people with experience to fill in knowledge gaps perhaps you should let them do their jobs. Develop better cross-team communication.

Apr 17, 2017

Thanks for the feedback. I'll be sure to share this with our exec team. The HR team has grown quite a bit in the last 6-8 months, so I think things are changing quite a bit. If you're open to... More

"Great perks, fun place to work at, but a bit haphazard"

Current Employee - Data Scientist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Data Scientist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitch full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
    Cool product.
    Everyone has a say on many product decisions.
    Part of Amazon (it's been mostly a good thing so far).
    Great team spirit among engineers, designers, and PM. (But other roles like data scientists, user researchers, or marketing, seem a bit excluded from the party.)

Cons

Few processes in place. It's often a mess, sometimes cramming and burnout.
    Some products have too many engineers per PM (40), others too few (0).
    Old employees are pretty much given a free card to do what they want, sometimes stepping on others' toes.

Advice to Management

- Focus more on quality and less on releasing new half-baked features super fast.
    - Company and product vision are poorly communicated.

Apr 10, 2017

Thanks for the feedback. If you're open to discussing further, would love to hear your thoughts in a more detailed way. - Arthur Yamamoto / Director of Recruiting

"Looking back at almost 2 years at Twitch"

I have been working at Twitch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive pay if you join now. Typical benefits of startups

Cons

A year ago, I left a negative review hoping that Twitch would move in a positive direction.

While I agree with many opinions here that an Amazon takeover is imminent, I would argue that an Amazon takeover is the only way Twitch will survive into the coming years.

Twitch execs have proved that they are unable or unwilling to steer the company in the right direction. They lack the means or ability or authority to unify Twitch under one vision and direction. The countless failed features, products, and expansions are indicative of the total dysfunction, particularly in engineering, of Twitch. We still operate in a shout loudest get attention environment, we still cannot coordinate, we still cannot come to an agreement on any sort of standard or baseline. We cannot even properly hold a new hire Eng edu class because nobody can agree on what to teach or how to properly do things.

As a side note, it's absolutely unacceptable that a director chooses to walk around the office with no shoes or socks. Or run up and down the hall like a giggling child.

On compensation, it's insane the salary disparity here. Basically anyone hired roughly the year since the acquisition is woefully underpaid. It's an uphill battle to try to promote or even increase salary. Yet, new and unproven employees are given ludicrous salaries and hiring managers are basically told, "it's just a number".

I welcome Amazon. While it'd be great to keep Twitch culture alive, I'd rather be unhappy but functional than unhappy AND dysfunctional. More to the point, Twitch culture is just a formality now - a way to trick star struck people to join the company. It's already gone, might as well move on and at least try make Twitch functional.

Advice to Management

We are in desperate need of a CTO. We need a CEO that understands hwo to run a company not a startup CEO.

Mar 6, 2017

Appreciate the feedback. I sincerely encourage you to talk further with our VP of HR or myself. I will absolutely make sure your feedback is relayed to the exec team. I hope to chat with you... More