Twitch Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.8
Emmett Shear

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great perks, nothing to complain about (in 14 reviews)

• The company seems to endorse work life balance at first glance (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • We're in a unique position and experiencing some growing pains (in 9 reviews)

• The work/life balance is sometimes non-existent (in 5 reviews)

1. "Best job of my life"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Perks are great
    - Lots of interesting work and projects
    - Leadership has clear and reasonable goals
    - Nice work life balance
    - Coworkers are awesome to work with

Cons

- Grew a bit too fast and made some bad hires
    - Some conflicting business goals and metrics across teams

Advice to Management

- Raise the hiring bar
    - More Friday happy hours pls :)

"Burnout of Passionate People due to Management"

I worked at Twitch full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of fantastic, brilliant, hard working, fun, welcoming, passionate people to call coworkers and friends.

Potential to do great things and make a lot of impact, BUT...

Cons

A lot of outside managers being brought in the last 2 years, mostly from within the gaming industry, but not all truly understand what makes the Twitch brand special. Few individuals within the company are being promoted to management positions if they weren't already managing.

Lots of management and org changes, which make it difficult to find your footing and grow vertically.

Internal communication and transparency is terrible and inconsistent. Some orgs are better about communicating to the rest of the company than others, resulting in a lot of disorganization and chaos when timing is down to the wire. A lot of folks don't read or pay attention to what was discussed or agreed upon, which make it difficult to keep progress going.

Conflicting corporate values between "Twitch" and "Amazon" can make it challenging to figure out what standards to operate and hold yourself against.

There have always been politics at Twitch, but the past couple of years it's become even more political, and the "People Ops" team is (generally) NOT on the employee's side if or when you become entangled in office politics (they tend to side with management).

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees, because their success is your success. Be ethical, because doing things right and right by others helps you in the long run.

"It was great. Once upon a time"

Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitch full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's Twitch - product - big fan
    People in the trenches with you / many direct managers slugging it out - great core people / characters

Execs try to care - via surveys and such / all hand meetings.

Food

Silicon Valley culture / on par with industry

Perks

People that know Twitch like Twitch.
    Memories of good days of Twitch.

Cons

Actual job / moral

Hired too fast, promoted too few

People who worked hard didn't get promoted. Many got offended. Constant hiring of senior people above those who worked very hard and telling lower-level employees they should just work harder
    People are actually leaving now

A lot of talking on exec-side, action is yet to be seen

Fear

Burnout - People used to look happy

Advice to Management

Specific example: Don't tell employees that they need to work harder to get promoted and be noticed, then 10 days later hire a strategy person out of nowhere. Isn't that the job of the executive? Or, perhaps that could have been opened internally for a chance? Just strange. There are many in the team that would have been a wonderful fit for that.

* Perhaps come down to the trenches with the grunts for a few days instead of being in an ivory tower? I don't know. Just an idea.

"Very fulfilling place to work"

I have been working at Twitch full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

All of the perks are great (catered food, abundance of snacks, gym membership etc.). The real benefit is the people. I personally really love the people I work with, they are smart, talented and we have fun. Twitch is the type of place where you will thrive if you don't need a perfect roadmap to feel secure, if you're willing to go with a new idea and then be open to it changing. This is the age we live in. Any tech or internet company is fast moving, visions change daily and humans are challenged to stay current with the new technological advances that are available. Twitch is a place that changes all the time. Our roadmap is a solid roadmap based on the current reality. This reality can change very quickly. I like to be nimble, flexible, and take the ball and run with it. Twitch isn't the place for someone who needs to be told every single day that everything is great, our roadmap is guaranteed to succeed, and the future is perfect. This is not a reality anywhere.

Cons

Currently the SFO staff is split between different buildings until we can consolidate into one building and be together.

Advice to Management

Be frank about our plans, tell people they can change and probably will. If someone is looking for a guaranteed roadmap and career path, they're in the wrong business.

"It's just like university - cliques ,cliques, cliques."

I have been working at Twitch full-time

Pros

You get free food, snack and drinks. That's nice. If you work on certain teams you also get Amazon stock as part of your overall compensation package. The office is a nice place to be, there's a bar, gaming PC's and space to just generally chill out.

Almost everyone that works there genuinely shares one of the same passions as you (gaming).

Cons

Boy, where to begin. I'll just talk about the important things from my perspective.

Management. The first thing that is noticeable are the pre-Amazon employees are almost all managers regardless of any actual skills (or lack of) they have. Oh, they are also in a clique which is impossible to break into. That probably explains why they are all managers. Because of this Twitch is what i'd call a 'fat' organisation - the headcount over the past 2 years has exploded as legacy employees managers realized they couldn't do the job and needed to hire people ASAP. No wonder Amazon has come in and seems to have put the foot down - hiring has definitely slowed. I've never seen a company in more need of a serious restructuring. Too many people doing too little - there's whole teams that seem to get in the office around midday and leave before 5pm.

Absolutely no career development. I'm not joking here either, and i'm not over exaggerating. As a multi year employee we've only just started to get a structure together for a comprehensive development plan for employees. My weekly meetings consist of me asking if there's anything I can do better or work on, the answer was always 'you're doing an excellent job, just carry on doing what your doing'.

Oh about working towards that promotion? Just keep working and we'll see.

The management has no real direction - I'm guessing that a lot of this comes as a symptom from the lack of management from the top. Issues that arise take way to long to be identified and acted upon until it's too late, then the inevitable finger-pointing begins.

Advice to Management

Legacy employees that are in management have no real clue. Teams that are resting on their laurels and working 5 hour days (at best). Company needs a complete restructure starting with management - Amazon needs to get in and take a real look.

"Some severe problems need fixing, wait till they blow over"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitch full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Twitch, at least in the beginning, attracted several talented folks in both product and engineering who are passionate about gaming and streaming. It feels amazing to be surrounded by people who understand the same gaming subculture as you do. Non-gamers who join are often quickly converted into enthusiastic gaming supporters and find their own preference (whether it be MMOs, shooters, fighters, platformer, mobile games, or even boardgames).

If you're an IC, the work/life balance can be good and having unlimited vacation is nice.

There are also the catered free food and snacks, gym perks, commute perks etc.

Finally, you also get to impress other gamers when you tell them you work at Twitch.

Cons

As previous reviews have pointed out, Twitch is not in a good place at the moment. Senior management has not shown strong leadership or consistent decision making. This, together with the immense growth and urgency Twitch has experienced in the past year, has led to a lot of frantic scrambling in the company. There are too many proposals, too many directions, too many sprawling goals and far, far too many voices in the room. Having upper management re-enforce discipline and central strategy to get everyone in line would be nice, but the execs are too inexperienced and/or overburdened (our exec suite is short staffed) to handle this.

If you're a manager (whether it be tech lead or director), you will find it hard and stressful to plan, and to maintain a workable roadmap for your team. In Twitch's struggle to find ANYTHING to boost KPIs, teams are trying out ideas left and right, often dumping sudden workloads on other teams in the process, and leaving the projects half-finished.

Company morale has been tanking, and people are left stressed and anxious. I highly not recommend anybody join until the leadership and coordination problems are fixed.

Advice to Management

Be clear on your strategy/decisions and repeat, repeat, repeat. Having folks read a paper copy of a long-winded and redacted strategy report is not good enough, somebody should present the key points to everybody in the company.

In the case of conflicting goals and priorities (eg. two teams fighting for same resource), please be the adjudicator when teams escalate it to you instead of letting them fight it out.

Enforce discipline and make sure people stay focused and aligned.

"Not sure where this company is headed"

I worked at Twitch full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Twitch is a known player in the industry- working here is like a little badge you get to flaunt. There are great perks, that's for sure. Unlimited PTO (depending on your manager), catered meals, snacks, gaming rooms, monthly massage slots, gym gets reimbursed, flexible work hours, holiday break, etc. The company seems to endorse work life balance at first glance. There are a lot of passionate, smart, and hardworking people at the IC level, reminds you what you're capable of doing every once in awhile- wish those people would get recognition more.

Cons

Leadership is a mess. Many are not in alignment with each other, and their lack of shared vision (which is a company value) trickles down and affects the people actually carrying out daily work. Leaders and those in managerial or positions of power are quick to blame their teams or other teams. Or they don't own up to their lack of management and leadership skills. Goals don't seem to match up between teams, or even within teams, which makes it confusing to get work done. People with lots of experience but no people or team building skills get promoted into management. Poor communication almost everywhere, makes for a really difficult and frustrating work environment. Almost makes me not have fun with gaming anymore because the work environment turns me off. Also, heard employees get away with unprofessional behavior/misconduct. HR and senior management should pay attention to those issues as well- not just productivity and minutes watched or whatever the next KPI is. I don't think the value and image of working at Twitch is worth dealing with the workplace.

"Terrible senior management is what will kill this company"

I worked at Twitch full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people who are passionate about Partners and the community are what make the company still a better place than its competitors. Decent meals and other office perks. Strong online brand to boost your own value as a professional.

Cons

Inconsistent commitment to core values, policies, and a lack of follow-through on promises to improve both towards employee development and company development. Corrupt and nepotistic behavior from senior management including giving promotions and praise instead of severance packages to absentee managers. Nominating several employees for Forbes awards who have long-standing records of doing nothing, skipping meetings, bending policy for friends, and other unprofessional acts. Ignoring pitches to improve accountability.

Advice to Management

Find a way to bring expectations for growth to a realistic level otherwise you will continue to burn out your staff and create dissent and disillusionment. Start holding all employees especially senior managers to a consistent standard. All it takes is a well-timed competitive site to do a major marketing push, steal your good workers and streamers, and decline will follow.

"No career growth"

I have been working at Twitch full-time

Pros

I've only gotten food poisoning twice.

The morale is low. You don't have any peer pressure to work hard.

Cons

In the all hands last week they tried to address the career growth issue and showed us the statistics. In the past 2 years only about 5% of the employees were promoted per year, which means the expected time for a Twitch employee to be promoted is about 20 years.

If you are joining at Level 4 right after graduation when you are 22, expect to be promoted to Level 5 when you are about 42 years old. If you would be satisfied with your offered position for 20 years, come join Twitch.

Advice to Management

Learn basic math.

"Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here"

I have been working at Twitch full-time

Pros

I've only gotten food poisoning once.

Cons

This company has crashed and burned over the course of the last year. Pre-acquisition employees -- all the way up to the executive level -- have gone on autopilot as products, programs, and departments wither away.

Prepare to be treated inhumanely by the leadership team. Recent communications from VPs have included f-bombs and "[CEO] will take you out back and shoot you." Yikes!

We have entire departments dedicated to data science and analytics, yet decisions are ultimately made based on Emmett's intuition, not numbers. He is notoriously capricious, so anticipate lots of wasted time, energy, and money on projects that never go anywhere. He is easily the most incompetent CEO I've come across in my career.

Twitch's platform is evolving to more heavily monetize our existing users. It's incredibly scummy and limits the potential of the site.

Over the span of the last six months, Twitch's Glassdoor score has plummeted from a 4.5 to 2.X (and still freefalling). Instead of taking actions to improve employee satisfaction and morale, HR chooses instead to criticize employees who use Glassdoor and Blind to honestly express their feedback. Much of the HR/Recruiting team has left because they don't even want to work at Twitch.

Most employees are crying out for Amazon to take over. Very much a Sophie's Choice situation, but it can't possibly be any worse than it is now.

I wouldn't wish employment at Twitch on my worst enemy. Stay far, FAR away, prospective employee! I'm skeptical that the company will still exist in a few years given its current trajectory.

Advice to Management

Shame on you for squandering an opportunity to change the video platform landscape.

Fire all of the rest and vesters, then yourselves.